What was going on in Mergo's Loft? What were the masked things? Why the frenzy inducing gaze...

What was going on in Mergo's Loft? What were the masked things? Why the frenzy inducing gaze? Why the dogbirds and birddogs?
And what is the Wet Nurse supposed to be? Who is Mergo?
Why do I have so many questions?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well the frenzy is caused by the Mother Brain. Didn't you see it?

Mergo is the baby, that crying woman in the white dress is its mother.

Ritual of Mensis was summoning the gods by offering them a surrogate child from Yharnam's womb.

They're called "Mergo's Attendants".

The Brain of Mensis is a low-level Great One that the School retrieved from the nightmare and then used as a security system.

No idea

Mergo is Yharnam's child and probably sired by the formless Oedon. Mergo's Wet Nurse is Mergo's wet nurse, it looks after Mergo in stead of Yharnam and Oedon.

Play it a few more times and you'll have fewer questions.

I really hope you got the DLC so that you didn't have to end the game on one of the weakest levels. Bloodborne's my favorite in the series but I don't care for the Nightmare of Mensis at all.

In order:

There's no evidence to say that Rom was originally a Mensis scholar, the version of Rom seen in the game is Mother Kos' recreation of some unnamed Great One.

Does anyone have the MEGA link for the BB artbook?

Also for the DaS and DaSII artbooks too, if you have them

Wait, so who's the human on the bridge? It never even occurred to me to ask.

It's on exhentai, go figure.

Sorry no, the ones I have bookmarked are all dead links now.

Probably an agent of the Healing Church who came to stop Micolash. He was using a Church weapon, wore students' clothing and had a lot of sedatives on hand, so he was obviously prepared for the Nightmare. Whatever the Shadows of Yharnam are, it seems like they were on their way to stop the Wet Nurse also.

Reposted from the other thread, Codemonkey pls

Mensis and #1 Host want to commune with newborn Great One Mergo, just like the guys at Byrgenwyrth once communed with Kos(?), to get mad brain gains.
Unfortunately Mergo's mother miscarried because Great Ones have issues with giving birth for some reason that didn't translate very well.
Moon Presence via Gehrman wants you to fuck shit up because they made a deal of some sort (Both Mommy Moon and The G and Mensis/Mergo) .

Handmaids. You're in Mensis' crib and they can dream up whatever the fuck they want to.

Apparently they brought that back from one of their forays into the Catacombs.
Because they're edgy like that, they hung it up as lantern make life difficult for everybody, including themselves.
What they didn't think of is that human brains are simply too shitty for Cosmic Knowledge, so it gets really happy when somebody finally tries to communicate with it.

I like to think that this is just Doge-kun's sense of humour.

Great One who looks after Mergo. You can't really see it because your Insight is never high enough.

Great One, love child of Mensis and some Great One, probably Yharnam.
The crying child in the perambulator. Since you killed its wet nurse, it dies shortly after.
Gg faggot, you sure like smoking that Moon Presence dick.

I didn't realize reading the wiki is the smart thing to do.

Hard to say whether there was some kind of dispute between the Moon Presence and Oedon or if the Moon Presence is just a spectre of death who wants to kill all of the other Great Ones' surrogate children because it's a dick.

Not that any Lovecraftian deity's motives are supposed to be comprehensible to the human mind, but surely Miyazaki had something in mind when he wrote this and wasn't just throwing things out at random. The Great Ones' desire for offspring is certainly human and relatable.

The panda's been clutch in terms of uploading artbooks. There's even a tag for it that makes it easy peasy to get.

Magic Semen Man is way too abstract to comprehend, so trying to affix some worldly goal to it is moot - maybe it really just wanted to talk.
I think the most common idea is that Mom and Sugar Daddy conspired to - on his side - prevent the spread of the Nightmare, and - on its side - find a surrogate child.

Probably, but it was lost in translation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare
The thing is, you can't localise this shit, and just putting Shinto concepts into Lovecraftian Victorianism would be jarring, to put it mildly.
I don't blame them. Whoever translated Bloodborne did a fine job, there's really no way you can communicate this kind of stuff if you can't count on a specific cultural background.
Reading about this made some things a lot clearer. I especially like the uncanny implication that comes with the game making specifically you deal with all this stuff, and kind of explains the third ending.

I'm not even using it for Hentai any more nowadays.

Mom being the Moon Presence and Sugar Daddy being Gehrman? Dad's side I can believe, Mom's not so much.

I don't think you necessarily need to reach outside of the game to its source material to understand the point of the ending and the Moon Presence's appearance. Blood is said to represent Oedon in some item descriptions and the Moon Presence obviously represents beasthood, and beasthood corrupting blood is seen all throughout the game. In the same way, blood can be seen both as the embodiment of life and the embodiment of death, just like Oedon and the Presence.

Did anyone else get the vibe that we were saving Mergo by the end?

I mean, think of Mensis so desperate for their old one abducting the infant and keeping it hostage via the Wet Nurse. I mean, what we can assume to be the mother is kind of just waiting there on the outside.

It just kind of felt like by killing the Wet Nurse we were severing the thing keeping Mergo captive away from its mother.

This fucking nigger every time with his god awful filters. Just fucking stop, jesus christ. Do you think that looks good? Are you 12? Are you Nicolas Refn?

I think fuck you.

more, just for you

What are you trying to accomplish?

These look like shit lebrodudeski.

They're not entirely awful. I can dig the neon vomit aesthetic. But they're not good, either, as he's gone a little too deep on the filters, making everything indistinct transitions from red to pink with occasional splashes of violet.

I feel like the moon presence was kind of disappointing. I mean, he's just a big hunched-over monster with tentacle hair. Amygdala was cooler-looking and more intimidating, because he at least had more than two arms. I guess I just expected something more unconventional, considering he's supposed to be the big kahuna of the great ones.

I always thought Rom was toying with the scholars and never imparted any knowledge on them, that's why they called it the vacuous spider.

I just figured the Moon Man was not averse to adopting a child (Gehrman, you) rather than creating one, so long as it had a competent assassin who could slay hunters AND great ones.

Maybe. In Japanese they apparently call him the Stupid Spider, not the Vacuous Spider, which may have just been because he seems inattentive and unresponsive. I don't think it's because he's withholding information, Rom can't speak and when he attacks he flails uncontrollably like a child or a wild animal, he really does seem a little stupid. Probably a poor imitation of the real thing.

It's a sinister take on it, since you, Gehrman, and the Doll are all said to be prisoners there.

Yeah I always assumed that Rom was just impossible to communicate with, and the prideful humans assumed it was "stupid". I guess they were used to things that could talk, after Ebriatas? Still no idea what Rom actually is.

I felt sorry for the Brain and wondered how they managed to enslave it when it can kill you telepathically. I guess maybe since they (Micolash & his goons) are already insane and in the nightmare, they're immune?

That's a bit more depressing than what I thought, I didn't know that communication was impossible with the creature. I assumed since Master Wilhelm is found near to where it can be found that he held some reverence for the thing and communication was made.

Probably a low-tier Great One like the Amygdala, or at least the version of it we see is. Like I said, I think Rom is a recreation of whatever is on the Altar of Despair, and may have either been an imperfect recreation or one of several.

If you think of the bosses repeated in the Chalice Dungeons (assuming you had the patience to make it through every one of them), they're all non-unique creatures. The Amygdala (one of many), the Celestial Emissary (one of many), the Darkbeast, the Beast-possessed Soul, the Abhorrent Beast, all creatures which are known to also exist elsewhere, in some number. Even Ebrietas, the fully-grown Celestial Child, is probably one of many fully-grown Celestial Children out there, so Rom's appearance in the dungeons seems like a deliberate choice.

Maybe, I'm still not sure what was going on there. They say that he left his secret with the lake, but one of the first notes in the game says that the Byrgenwerth spider is keeping their master from his students, so they can't be talking about Rom if people living in Yharnam know all about that.

And if you look at the concept art of Willem apparently he was originally intended to be melted and gelatinous like all of the students in the Nightmare School, so I'm not sure that he's capable of speaking or thinking anymore. Maybe he and Rom can communicate on a higher plane.

I assumed that Rom was unique, and that Ebriatas was just mourning her or hoping she'd come back to life somehow, though I'm not sure why they'd know or care about each other. That's a good take on it though, it makes sense.
I ragequit the Chalices at Defiled Amygdala. Got no time for that shit.

So in the end, is Bloodborne related to Demon's Souls in any way? I know in the alpha version, there was a boss who said "umbasa" when he killed you, but that was removed from the final version.