Looking to get some good puzzle games. Any suggestions? Also general puzzle game thread

Looking to get some good puzzle games. Any suggestions? Also general puzzle game thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedesign.jp/flash/whitejigsaw/whitejigsaw.html
soundcloud.com/tapirist/sets/splice-ost
youtube.com/watch?v=MsEhfi6R-rs
gamerankings.com/pc/198479-ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen/index.html
gamerankings.com/pc/197052-dark-side-of-the-moon/index.html
metacritic.com/game/pc/ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen
gamefaqs.com/pc/198479-ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen/critic
gamefaqs.com/pc/category/190-adventure-3d-first-person
gamefaqs.com/pc/197785-lighthouse-the-dark-being
amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Deluxe-PC/dp/B00002NDEZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467236668&sr=8-2&keywords=dark side of the moon pc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gamedesign.jp/flash/whitejigsaw/whitejigsaw.html

SpaceChem is on sale right now for two pounds.

It's busting my balls HARD

Lemmings with the SuperLemmini source port.

Is it worth a dollar?

Certainly, I only just got to the second planet and I can already tell this game is going to take up most of my time

The Way

Picross 3D and Picross 3D2 are my favorites at the moment. They can be ridiculously addictive.

It's autism incarnate. Even when I complete a puzzle I tend to go back and attempt to optimize my construct to use less parts and waste less cycles.

Splice isn't too challenging, but it has an amazing soundtrack.
soundcloud.com/tapirist/sets/splice-ost

The Witness

These are some puzzle games I like to play on my phone (no bully pls): Huebrix, Flow Free, and Slice It.

Lumo, Trine, The Swapper come to mind for modern stuff.
Haven't played the third Trine though, can't vouch for that.

definitely worth a pirate

braid too

Anything by zachtronics.
Also DROD, a criminally hidden underrated series of puzzle games, and my favorite by far.

bullshit, go watch the fucking gopro head-cam ending on youtube and save yourself the time, effort, and bandwidth

PISS BOTTLES

Here is my solution to one of the puzzles in Infinifactory, you can automatically make gifs by pressing F10.

I love puzzle games!

Bump, optimized the solution.

Come on user. The Witness might not be worth the price tag Blow set it at, but that's no reason to go full retard.

the ending absolutely justifies never wasting disk space for it

finishing a puzzle game to be rewarded with a 2deep4u go-pro video of the perspective of the dev waking up and acting like a retard around his house, showing off his piss bottle, and decorations dating it enough to show that he phoned in the ending right before release, that's an insult

at least if I play portal or portal2 I can jerk off to glados insulting my performance, but the ending to the witness is the developer insulting the player directly for being stupid enough to purchase his shit game

I liked the puzzles in this. That first puzzle with the shield sphere was pretty rad because while it was a simple laser redirection thing it was very cool actually using the light to change the panels, and I needed to use notes for that one water pipes puzzle after being shot down by the bounty hunter, it's pretty fun.
Too bad it's nothing like Another World or Flashback's controls, I felt that would have made it ten times better.

Grab yourself a ds emulator and picross ds and 3d picross. Unsurprisingly though, ds has a shitton of good puzzle games.

Puzzle games are amazing on mobile. Its the only platform that can do puzzle games the best.

Talos Principle is really damn good

I thought of pirating the whole Myst series, is that a good idea? Not pirating Uru since it's free to play on the internet.

Speaking of Myst, any opinions on pic related?

Myst was fun way back in the 90s, I don't see any reason it wouldn't be now. Never heard of your pic, no idea.

Play the 3D one realMyst, that's supposedly how the developers intended it to be originally back then.
It is one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

Why isn't Myst 3 and 4 on GOG?

These are okay.

KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People

Full completion can take up to 50 hours, in addition to revising puzzles for more efficient solutions and trying user-made puzzles, it's absolutely worth a dollar.

Braid is a good game. The Witness is an awful game.

Buy Myst, Riven or realMyst Masterpiece Edition on Steam. Cyan still exists and they're trying to make new shit.

Ubisoft published them

I wonder how Obduction will turn out. I don't think it feels the same as their older titles, the art direction looks too much like modern games. ZED has that problem too, the aesthetic photo realism is gone.
GOG.

Fuck, even though I don't care about any of their Ubi's games they still find ways to annoy me.

Steam, GOG, whatever. Just don't pirate them.

Torrenting all of them now, setting seed ratio to unlimited

The Witness is literally a fucking phone game in a pretty shell. If you ever played the FREE app Flow on your phone, you'll know this faggot's game is the SAME THING. Braid is fantastic though, and it boggles my mind that both games were made by the same guy.

Congrats from Australia on making it out, user

RealMyst Masterpiece, played with original movement and not the free roam. Beautiful visuals and wonderful puzzles.

What a desne motherfucker

Yeah, The Witness isn't really an adventure game at all. Early previews said it was supposed to be like Myst but that couldn't be any further from the truth. It's the same shitty abstract puzzle repeated a billion times with an 3D overworld where you walk from one of them to the next.

Riven is so good that you'll buy it once you've played it.

Contraption Maker doesn't get a lot of love, but it's basically a modern remake of The Incredible Machine, it's pretty great.

That is easily one of the worst point-n-click adventure games ever. Every single thing about it is horrible even for a game of that era.

How in the fuck are you supposed to figure out that the small alien creature in the back of the monorail car is the "engine" and to power this "engine" you feed it magic crystals. How should you figure that the fat dude in the METAL SMELTING ROOM would have a ONE OF THOSE CRYSTALS in his pocket? Are these crystals some sort of currency, like a dime or a quarter, and people in this world (whatever the fuck the setting is supposed to be I never could figure out at all, just random weird 90s space/sci-fi shit).

Nothing in the game makes any sense at all. Click on random things and random things happen. Keep clicking and more random things happen. Eventually, after clicking enough random times on every single pixel in the game with every item you eventually beat it.

Myst was a masterpiece because the puzzles we exactly as fair as they were challenging, and that would be very much so. Sometimes I'd get stuck for days or weeks, but always, and I do mean every single time, after figuring it out everything seemed to work with perfect logic.

Ring? Not so much! Random fat dude is smelting metal and has random crystal in his pocket for no known reason, and he gives it to you after several intimidation attempts, and then you place this into the random creature-engine in a monorail that goes to other random puzzles.

There are some other not great games on that list, but Ring…man, OH MAN that fucking game is pure pain.

>youtube.com/watch?v=MsEhfi6R-rs

It is quite some time since I last played it so I can't really argue that the contrary is true. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I liked it. I should also mention that I played a localization in which the voice acting was much better.
This part however was no problem for me at all though, I guess adventure game logic has ruined my brain or something but I never got stuck. It's not very different from Lucasarts classic in that regard, there is an bizzare and warped adventure game logic to it but it doesn't make much sense. I agree about the Myst series being much better though.
Which ones in particular?

Also, if I were to replace it in the chart what would you recommend that I'd put there instead of it? Is Talos Principle any good?

I'll constrooct your boypussy user-senpai

I was actually really excited for the witness. I dont care about his personal views but ill play a game if its good. With that said i saw some gameplay and it didnt click with me, maybe ill get it when its cheap.

Piracy is bad m8. Its like eating in a restaurant and then skipping on the tab.

You are one good goy

i read the second book, shit was good.

please dont bully the devs! if you like the game be a good goy and vote with your wallet.

If they did that then no one would buy it user. Also actual shit wouldn't be the same as a bad game, the equal would just be bad food. Anything else or are you just gonna spout the word goy on repeat.

I am concerned that you arent trolling me. How did you come to this site?

I really don't understand this puzzle at all. Input Down Right, it goes only down. Input down up right, it goes down right. Simple enough, right?
Then I input Down Right Up Right Down Action and it still only goes Down and Right. What am I missing here?

Shivers is the best adventure game I've ever played. It takes place in a museum that was under construction and completed, but never opened. One of the exhibits was a set of jars containing demons called Ixupi, and they were released into the museum, so you have to deal with them and escaping.

Still surprisingly scary, and the graphics look great for a 1995 adventure game.

Are you fucking retarted? By no means leave any information what the fuck you are talking about.

What was that short puzzle game some ex stalker devs worked on again? It came out about a half year ago

Oh you mean the "look at me walking through my apartment while dragging along a piss bottle"? Top kek m80.

Bioshock Infinite?😂👌

Talos principle is definitely worth a place on the list.

On the note of adding games, I suggest you put in Morpheus aswell.

Professor Layton is great.

I played realMyst first and then some of Myst Online, then I read the trilogy.

The book is great.

Full Bore and Toki Tori 2 are both great puzzle-platformers. You can't actually jump so it really is more about how you move in and interact with your environment. Both games have great soundtrack, visuals and atmosphere. Full Bore has an interesting story too while Toki Tori is a bit limited in that area. Some other differences are that Full Bore is a bit darker (in atmosphere and themes) and the puzzle are based around different blocks. Toki Tori is really bright and happy and focuses more on interaction with the other creatures in the game. Full Bore gets some love on Holla Forums sometimes but Toki Tori 2 is criminally underrated.

I really don't get this. Do you play games only for a reward at the end?

>gamerankings.com/pc/198479-ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen/index.html

I would replace it with the Journeyman Project games (2 + 3 are best) for an old-school alternative. Also, the old Tex Murphy games are really great for classic FPS point-n-click, and the newest in the series, Tesla Effect, is just awesome (pic related). Talos Principle and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter are really good if you are looking for more new titles. Just be sure to avoid the walking simulator bullshit that is infecting the industry via the SJW hordes.

tfw other than Talos all of the scifi puzzle games are walking sims

Oh, I remember seeing this game while I was staying at a friend's house back in the day. As I was named after a Wagner opera and pretty into the Nibelung stuff, I tried it. I kinda liked the weird-ass aesthetic, but I didn't play it long enough to really try and solve it, so I guess I never saw its awfulness in full detail.

Dammit, now every time I see Tesla all I can think about is Assassin's Creed's awful fanfics extended universe.

Pullblox or Pushmo or whatever it's called in your country.

Are you talking about new games only? Lots of old FPS point-n-click stuff was sci-fi. Hell, Tex Murphy takes place in the future and has hover cars and shit.

You might also want to add Dark Side of the Moon. The dev team was absolutely retarded for giving it that title, but it really is a decent game that got horribly overlooked due to the worst title choice of all fucking time (yes, because Pink Floyd album of same name.) It is definitely not up to the level of Myst or Tex Murphy, but if you can stomach the mediocre acting it is pretty decent otherwise.

>gamerankings.com/pc/197052-dark-side-of-the-moon/index.html

It's worth a hell of a lot more than a dollar.

Spacechem's main campaign, which is a lengthy, exceptionally well put together series of around 80 scenarios of increasing difficulty, is one of the best puzzle games I have ever made.

The real icing on the cake however is the ResearchNet, a collection of approximately 200 'master levels' which are just as well put together as the base game and even more fiendish. They also introduce a bunch of completely new gameplay mechanics not in the base game, like fission and quantum tunnelling.

Played. Fuck

kek

Nice slip up, dev.

This looks pretty cool.

This is one thing I really don't like about the genre, the live action things just doesn't fit in with the rest of the games most of the time and it's always rather awful. It sort of worked in Riven since the game looked so great but in most other cases it's just bad and a detrimental.

It's really not that bad. If you liked the aesthetic you should either play Salammbo (which is a better game) or read some of Druillet's (the guy behind the art direction in both games) comics.

I agree. Most of Tex Murphy is a rare exception.

Wasn't that a walking sim? Never tried it since I heard there was basically no interactions or puzzles and that it was a very pretty screensaver.

I've never actually played any of the Tex Murphy games for whatever reason. They seem very campy and fun, I guess I should check them out and add them to the list.

Will be adding Tex Murphy, the Journeyman Project and pic related when I have time. I still haven't given up on Ring, I will replay it before I remove it from the list.

come on dev, dont be shy, say hello to the class.

any of you faggots played J.U.L.I.A. AMONG THE STARS?

Where is Rhem?

Do yourself a favor and don't replay Ring. Get a friend who you know is a big fan of old school adventure games to come over and play it in front of you. Give them at least a full hour of playtime with zero interruptions or hints. Just watch them explore and play the game on their own and notice the reaction.

I barely have any friends that play games more than casually, I know none who plays old school adventure games. It's a very niche genre.

Never played it and the reviews said it was crappy so I omitted it. Do you think it's any good?

No, but it's on by backlog.

You didn't play the game, why the fuck you waste your time talking about it?

The controls are rotated, nigger

Okay.

Kool dubs btw

What sort of puzzles are there in the witness?

What game is this?

Myst 4 Revelation

There are two main branches of puzzles: the abstract panel puzzles and perspective puzzles in the environment. This last category is pretty fun especially when you first encounter them on your own. The panel puzzles can be further split into two categories: pure logic puzzles and again environment puzzles. The logic puzzles are decent and the spoiler puzzles are good, varied and interesting. I've played the game for a couple of hours before running into crashes so I haven't finished it but overall I enjoyed it. If you're open minded I suggest you try it for a couple of hours.

This one also holds up well nowadays.

Since you don't know anybody that could give a decent review of Ring then I'll provide a few more for you.

>metacritic.com/game/pc/ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen
>gamefaqs.com/pc/198479-ring-the-legend-of-the-nibelungen/critic

You replaying the game in order to review it is impossible. The main staple of all adventure games is the focus of challenging and rewarding puzzles. Since you already solved every puzzle in the game and probably remember how almost all of them work it follows that you cannot give it a fair review. Honestly, it is a 2/5 star game at the very best and putting on the list creates a giant shit stain on an otherwise useful image.

It is actually two games in one, and the player decides if it is a walking sim or not. Here's how it goes (no spoilers):

solve puzzle 4

As for Tex Murphy the campy stuff is what makes it so great. Start with Tesla Effect.

The submachine series is quite good and I never see anyone talking about it, but hey, I've never seen anyone talk about myst either and there at least two threads mentioning it right now.

Also, it's free The non-HD version

My eternal nigger.

Journeyman Project should definetely be added to that list.

Now it's fucking perfect. Thanks user!

Oh, one more thing, I have not played the games, but the Rhem series is (I think) trying to be sort of like an alternate version of Myst. People interested should have a look.

I should have mentioned this one as well. Great game in the style of Myst with lots of well done (for the time) FMV sequences and a genuinely creepy, immersive atmosphere.

>gamefaqs.com/pc/category/190-adventure-3d-first-person

That list has pretty much every game from the genre that exists. Some of them are shit but it won't take too long to wade through them and start playing the ones with the best user and critic reviews. You might need to visit other websites to get reviews for some as they can be quite rare titles.

Pic related is another new adventure game that is somewhat like Ethan Carter in that you can walk past most of the puzzles and reach the end without solving them. However, there are tons of good puzzles in it if you look around. Give it a try and see if it fits your criteria.

Anyway, this should give you a ton of options and I'm still hoping that Ring gets rightfully snubbed.

This post:

was also meant to address this poster:

I fucked up.

How did I fuck up so badly? I need more caffeine.

Holy shit, I'd completely forgotten about Obsidian. There was also a point and click called Lighthouse way back when, which I remember being pretty intense.

Oh, and there was a sequels to Shivers. Game had fantastic atmosphere. My mom used to help me solve the shapes puzzles in the canyon, before she got consumed by facebook games.

>gamefaqs.com/pc/197785-lighthouse-the-dark-being

That game looks pretty good. I'd consider putting it on the list, also.

Talos Principle

The problem with graphic adventure puzzlers is they have almost nonexistent replayability.

Action puzzle games are best puzzle games.

an hour of hand crafted top tier puzzling is better that eternity of repeating same random crap

Spire was probably the hardest area in any Myst game, or any puzzle game for that matter. Fuck that place. Especially the part where in order to correctly tension the cables in the chair puzzle you had to somehow make the connection between the shape of the gears and the shape of the crystal housings scattered around the area.

Also I always found it funny that we're expected to believe that Sirrus built all these mechanisms during the time he was imprisoned here, I guess with his bare hands. He must be the most resourceful person who ever lived.

Twinkle Star Sprites is like a fusion of Puyo Puyo and Twinbee.

Play it on Fightcade, but for fucks sake, don't get it on Steam.

lmfao there is literally no point to these games

Since point and clicks have been brought up, how do you guys feel about Primordia?
I'm playing through it now, and it gave me nostalgic flashbacks to Monkey Island.

Ether One was great, the puzzles were fairly good but the story and atmosphere was what really grabbed me. One of few video games that has been able to provoke emotions from my cold black stone heart, the true ending even made me tear up a little. The game is also comfy as fuck. Even anons who normally don't like adventure games should at least give it a spin.

One of the better retro adventure games, great art direction and classic Lucasarts style puzzles. I also liked that there were several endings, something few adventure games do in my experience. Unfortunately the dev went on to make a shitty cyberpunk platformer instead of another adventure game for some reason.

Yes a digital puzzle PLUS a game.
It's like the difference between pressing keys and turning on your machine and pressing keys.

what did they do?

Primordia was a lot of fun. I think Gemini Rue was better though.

What about ShadowGate?

I don't know but it feels like the FPS adventure list is only including games with 3d graphics or something similiar, either pre-rendered or in real time. At least that is the impression I got from it. There are lots of 2D adventures that are even older, such as Deja Vu and Snatcher, but they really don't seem like they would fit in with the rest of the list.

That might be a more accurate title. Honestly, though, if you get a chance to play Snatcher it is also an excellent adventure game.

Why does the Witness get so much hate?
I understand the whole Phil Fish thing, the price point, and the 2deep4u ending, but all in all, it's not a bad experience. It's extremely pretty and it's interesting to play whilst high/drunk.

Oh wait, I forgot Holla Forums is collective of a bunch of straight edge faggots.

And that's why I take what everyone says here with a grain of salt. The people with the most reservations, are the people who's only vice is video games.

I don't think you do

I remember trying this.
It had like 5 CD-ROMS and there was this guy who I believe was your uncle, that you remembered as a dreamer, and then you were shown a flashback of him introducing himself as a dreamer… cringe as fuck.

But I do remember that walking across the corridors was satisfying, though. Can't remember the puzzles. The graphics were more realistic than Myst… did it meant some things were more difficult to catch or see?

Adventure games live and die by their story and puzzles. The Witness has a single type of puzzle repeated hundreds of times and one other type repeated a dozen or so times, and the story, if you can call that, does nothing to really explain anything that is going on at all other than LOL VIRTUAL REALITY. That's why the game sold less than 10% as many copies as Braid did around the time of its release and nobody will remember it as anything other than mediocre at best.

It's shit, user. Get over it.

>amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Deluxe-PC/dp/B00002NDEZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467236668&sr=8-2&keywords=dark side of the moon pc

It came with 6 CDs and 1 DVD. Maybe if I had a DVD player at the time it would have been a little more fun. Switching discs at every elevator completely kills the immersion.

Have you not read the thread? People have already mentioned it's not that bad.
I don't think that is going to win anyone over.

When did you first notice the non-panel perspective puzzles?

Wow I'm retarded for not realizing that. Thanks user

Was it a trial and error thing or was there something to hint to that

Why are there so many faggots like you complaining about Holla Forums being contrarian lately? Or are you the same person continuously shitposting?

Oh wait you are samefagging, can you fuck off already?

These three are good.

tetris