A: Snow/Ice level gimmick is a slippy-slidey movement penalty

Fucking terrible, garbage bullshit that nobody enjoys, 0/10, no creativity whatsoever, deserves to be burned.
Permanently ingrained into the players' mind, and remembered forever as one of the comfiest vidya stages of all time.
[VGTG]

Why do developers so often default to the first one?

[VGW]

[OPIAF]

[ISHYGDDT]

[VGS]

A - The logical choice, anyone slipping on snow/ice could tell you that it alters movement.
B - The comfiest choice, anyone hearing those Christmas songs near the fire could tell you that.
C - …How ? I can see that you could slide faster on snow/ice, which is something I enjoy, but it usually falls under A, unless you have specific examples ?

Surely you jest. Winter/ice levels are nice to break the monotony if they are done right.

Old school mario games always did it right. In the NES/SNES era, Nintendo knew how to exploit a theme to introduce a new gameplay mechanic.

Of course, if you're going to be a faggot and make slippery ice everywhere and then you have to land on 1x1 block of slippery ice between gaps then of course it's going to be shit.

Don't blame the concept, blame the retarded level designer.

/thread

Why?

Sounds like you need to git gud

Going to need some examples for this one. It sounds too good to be true.

Tribes, you fuckboys.

there was a trick that involved snow and soulsand in minecraft to make an ice highway
i dont know if it was ever fixed

Kirby games might be more up to your speed m8

Actually you read that wrong. OP was stating that a winter themed stage that is just "slippery ice that fucks your timing that is otherwise perfect all game" is inferior to:

A) unique stages with enjoyable layouts

and

B) Stages with unique mechanics that are used by the player and if used right (IE: git gud) make you feel incredible.

Yes, let the stage, for the most part, only be an aesthetic change (as most all stages are), but include something that the player gets access to that is special to that stage. IE: Sonic's snowboard, walls that require that hard to get fire ability to melt and get the secret, riding the sled with waddle dee.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better.

I like that in games with ridiculously tight controls like Mega Man.

Shovel Knight tried to do the same thing but fucked it up. If you land while holding a direction, you instantly gain full speed like Mega Man, but Shovel Knight has a bit of inertia in every situation. So if you're tapping directions while landing, you make very slight adjustments in velocity rather than position. But the frame you land, if you're holding a direction, you zoop forward instantly, and if you're not, you come to a dead halt.
Just doesn't meld with the inertia.

posting best snow/ice level of all time

Well, Snow means death so obviously worlds based on it would be shit, it is only natural.

Crash did ice levels right

mein negir

Shame tribes has so little players.
I loved all the arctic and snow maps on it, and pissing off T1 autists by playing as a engineer.
Still love the game.

I've always liked Ice Worlds…

because hes a faggot, user

That made me rock hard.

And nobody ever surpassed the level design or graphic style of that game. Ever.