Holla Forums Makes a Platformer

Hey Holla Forums
It's me, Jebediah Stolsfus. I am the new project lead of the Anton&Coolpecker game development team and have been for the past two months now. I've been on the team for over a year originally as a programmer, but now I'm here. Go figure.
We have been working on this game for over a solid year now, but need your help. Slowly we have increasingly realized that as a passion project we need not only passion, but dedication - members who are frequently present. Those who do work and stay to continue their contributions. We've had dozens of team members who only did a little work and left within a week. This isn't sustainable.
We're open to recruiting artists and programmers for C# language. We have almost no 3D modelers or animators left. It is our weakest link and in a 3D platformer is absolutely vital. Therefore please consider joining the Anton&Coolpecker team or recommend this to those you know who are skilled in 3D software such as Blender. It isn't very difficult to pick up and learn, but to work at it consistently is what our team needs as it is a time-consuming endeavor. We need dedicated members or this project will continue to decrease in productivity. Please share our contact email at the bottom of this post with anyone willing to continuously contribute this needed dedicated work.
We're almost finished the tutorial stage and have it in a playable state that any user can try. Feedback and suggestions are more than welcome so give our playable build a try and report any bugs. After all, if Holla Forums knows what makes a good game then tell your devs to apply your knowledge for the greater good. Player health has been implemented. We've recently implemented swimming and underwater mechanics, but they need proper testing. What better way to test than playtesting? Give it a spin and tell us what you think!
Note: We are aware that the tutorial stage has noticeably buggier swimming than other scenes because of the odd shape of this body of water. This problem appeared a few days back and we're still working to resolve this problem ASAP.

Relevant links and information, but not all, are listed in the following post. Feel free to ask for access to any resources you remember that may not be listed.
Contact us at [email protected]/* */

Other urls found in this thread:

anton.anticruft.com/
docs.google.com/document/d/1IpxfRFI-V29xxWRhlK0t03qB4FiiO6FA5JwJZB-E9E0/edit?pli=1
docs.google.com/document/d/1rCyG32DbUh42ryXuUFDQ5ysnNOjhn4JfCHIUjDodCTI/edit?pli=1
etsy.com/shop/ShirtsByDon?ref=hp_rv
blendswap.com/blends/view/68922
picosong.com/x2Mr/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RELEVANT LINKS
Playable build: anton.anticruft.com/
What is A&CP? docs.google.com/document/d/1IpxfRFI-V29xxWRhlK0t03qB4FiiO6FA5JwJZB-E9E0/edit?pli=1 (Please do not contact [email protected]/* */ and use the new address instead.)
Feedback Doc: docs.google.com/document/d/1rCyG32DbUh42ryXuUFDQ5ysnNOjhn4JfCHIUjDodCTI/edit?pli=1

BASIC CONTROLS
Movement: WASD
Jumping: Spacebar
Camera: Mouse
Player Switch: Z
Anton's Ground-Pound: RMB midair
Coolpecker's Glide: Hold Shift midair
Water Dive: RMB, steer with mouse
Frog swim w/ input: Just use movement controls/joystick - Stop and move in a rhythm (edited)
Frog swim w/ button: Press MMB or the Y button(XBOX 360 CONTROLLER) while swimming in a rhythm

bump

Oy vey

a shitposting bump

What's the point in bumping? The thread's on page 1.

It's a pseudonym, no worries.

Apple is a faggot

This tbqh

also that

Color me surprised, a Holla Forums game that isn't going to get finished.
This is what happens when a bunch of ideaguys try to make a game.
You aren't going to get good modelers and programmers who want to work on your idea. Anyone who has invested the time to git gud at a technical skill like that is either going to be busy earning a living or will be spending their time on a pet project that they came up with.

I know knew c++ and I'm trying to make a game with a friend these last few months
I dunno if I'd be of much use

GAME DEV CONFIRMED FOR LOW ENERGY RELEASE NEVER EVER

Infinity user left a while ago to focus more on his Holla Forums project. Surprised you didn't see it.

I did, and I'm still disappointed that he left

Really glad to see it's still in the making, keep it up guys.

Where's that garbage lighthouse you faggots post everytime?

git bullied

Hey faggot

Stop ruining Broshis nigger chat with your nintendo spam. Starfox is garbage. You're Garbage

I think Apple is an alright dude

I haven't heard of this in a long time. I can't help this in any way, but good luck.

Oh look - our first naysayer! The fact is though while people can work on pet projects unless they're truly dedicated AND talented they have a better chance of making something succeed with teamwork.

Are you familiar with object-oriented programming? Because that's what C# is.
(checked, nice ID too)
I hate guacamole.

That's the truth.

This tbqh

It takes about 5-10 times longer to complete a game project solo than with 2 people. However, it only takes about 1.5 times longer to complete a project with 2 people rather than 3.

id like to actually see something new posted so i can see that you guys actually do shit anymore

seeing A&C threads are about as bad as GG threads nowadays.

Learning Blender now, I'll be ready to help in about 5 years if that's cool.

Glad to know there's still focus on this project. Keep it up you guys. Though I don't know if it will be possible to continue if you don't get the help you want.

Quite. I dunno if my partner would be interested or not, but I'd be willing to see what I can do.

But by then the game will be released user!
:^(

The devs for A&C come around once in a blue moon while there are 3 GG threads everyday. I don't really have an issue with it. Besides, they're looking for team members.

Apple's okay in my book, he's easily one of the most sociable people on the discord. He just really likes Nintendo games and has a strong opinion on things.

Also keep up the good work OP, as long as it's not dead it's alright in my eyes. I've actually been thinking of learning how to Blender for 3D modeling and animating to help you guys, though it would be amateurish as fuck since I would be starting from nothing.

It isn't about naysaying, it is about being realistic with your expectations when you are picking random anons with a few weeks of dicking off programming to build a game for you.
People are leaving because they are realizing that they aren't making a small commitment and that they don't want to invest several years in their lives working on someone else's idea for no gain outside the kudos of anons they are never going to meet.

Demonstrably false. Each additional member added to a project has a logarithmically scaling benefit to the project's time if added early enough. Last-leg additions can actually slow the project down.
Source: work as a project manager and managing programmer leading teams of 5-8 in a tech team of about 60 people.

Linux when

Or you know. Maybe just make game for have fun.

Not even remotely true. Source: professional developer with 23 years of experience this year. Meaning I'm actually aware of actual productive output instead of armcharing it and I've actually worked in many settings instead of being stuck with an exact 60 people team forever.

Reminder to email our game's email address at the end of the OP if you're interested in coming on-board.

Why so long? We've had members who have learned Blender in less than a month. Hell - I learned Blender and I can teach you! We have other talented team members who can take their time to teach you how to use it too.

Again, it's about dedication in our team which, as more and more people have been leaving, is what we need in recruitment. We cannot make games without hard work.

I have literally no creative talent except a little photoshop.

Would anyone have the patience? I'd basically be coming in with almost 0 knowledge on art, modeling, and using the program. But I'd be willing to help with what little time I have.

Also this except replace photoshop with gimp.

I dont like val

It wouldn't be worth it. I'm not trying to Dissuade you to try but some experience should be necessary. At least enough to improve on the project rather than slow it down.

You can just as easily look up tutorials for this shit and then come back when you know some stuff so you could actually contribute to some extent.

Everyone hates Val. Except for Ralph shill who is tsundere for him.

Right, but the issue is those people are going to make their own game at their own pace, not work on someone elses idea for no gain.

My team has swelled from about 20 to about 60 in 8 months. Before that we had naturally grown to 20 over a period of several years. You can call it arm-chairing all you want, I am a key part of a tech team that is completely taking over our industry (market sample) and I consistently am within 10-15% +/- on development time estimates.
This is why any large development house will shrink its development teams in size and push existing members to produce more as opposed to growing in size as a product reaches launch; smaller dev teams are significantly more mobile when responding to changing requirements and conditions, and frequently the time it takes to onboard someone onto an already matured project will negate any benefit that the additional man-hours might have provided. This is no industry secret, this is how software development works.
I'm surprised you don't have better knowledge of the industry working in it for 23 years. Then again if you are still a developer after 23 years that should probably be a red flag that you aren't particularly well versed in software production outside your ability to produce code.

If they like the idea they will.

Everyone starts somewhere. Plus it's not as much about the creativity as it is with the skill now that we know .

Pretty much this. Throughout project development since the beginning people were slowly leaving because they were either only there to ideaguy or they figured they didn't need to contribute any longer because people lacked the idea of project dedication. Projects with budgets are innately more dedicated than passion projects like this one because they have expectations put on them. Without dedication a project will flounder. It's up to anons to be dedicated and want to take up being a long-term contributor. Believe it or not tere are less than a dozen actively working members on this team after starting out with four or five dozen.

And yet this isn't the first time I have seen an A&C thread asking for more members and mentioning development slowing down. Just like every other Holla Forums project and the majority of large mods.

Addendum:
I am also not shitting on A&C or its members specifically. I am just commenting overall on how passion projects frequently turn out and trying to shed some light on why that is the case.
I think it is awesome that they are pushing to create something they want to make, but I also think it is important to understand the reality of the situation to better mitigate risk.

I almost never post on Holla Forums anymore but I do follow your twitter. Hopefully interest in this project doesn't die down because I always look forward to your updates.

If you projected any harder, you'd be a $100k piece of equipment.

That's doesn't mean your assumption as to why people exemplifies what occurred here. Though it has a lot of validity in a lot of Holla Forums projects. There's plenty of reasons somebody would drop a project outside of losing passion for the project.

Having browsed these threads since the start, a lot of them just had to deal with life and couldn't find the time or realized their skills weren't necessarily up to par with what was required. I feel like the example you're making is a minority of the people who left. But then again I'm not a part of the team. It doesn't really help that Holla Forums isn't necessarily brimming with experience programmers and animators.

I get it. But we've had people since the beginning threads who essentially try to shit on the project and lower morale since the start. I can't think that there was at least 1 or 2 devs working on the game that took those comments to heart and quit as a result.

It's a shame, but at the same time I can't really defend being thin-skinned like that.

Glad to see this thing is still going.Don't give up guys!
Postan some old fan art from back in the day!

Bumping with doom team for inspiration

That doesn't mean your assumption as to why people quit* exemplifies what occurred here.

Jesus I need to wake up.

It's not really thin skinned rather than just not feeling motivated to begin with and then seeing a comment that completely shits on any motivation you had left. If that person might have continued the project might have started to gain more traction or look more complete which would have been a good boost in encouragement. But I'm speaking more hypothetically at this point.

Sorry, I'm simply masking my pain of being in a very similar situation
best wishes for your project not dying, those first threads when this idea was born were great
t. Broquest dev for an attempt at it that's been going on for +3 years

i'm like everybody else here, want to help but im a useless piece of shit who doesn't know how to do anything

Maybe one day you'll amount to a useless piece of shit who knows how to do a few things.

I learned how to edit dds files last week. And this week I'm screwing around with meshes with blender. Sex mods for vidya really can push you to succeed where you might have otherwise stopped

I get it. But I feel like one's motivation to carry on a project shouldn't depend so much on a random user's comments.

doubt so, but i wish you good luck on your sexmodding.

what is his project? is there a thread on Holla Forums?

you sound like a faggot tbqfh fam
pic related, it's for you

pic related is for you too

lel

More so it might have just been tipping point. My point is the comment didn't help. Not that I'm trying enrich safe-space mentality or anything. But if you saw the posts you'de know what I was talking about. They would post paragraphs of shit completely ruining the thread.

What I mean saying "flounder" is that it won't be made as quickly or as efficiently. The project won't fall apart simply because we have dedicated team members who are just too busy to devote most of their spare time to it.

Read

Thanks for that.

Spicy meme bruh

Nice having conversation with you then.

Yea, that is definitely true. My perspective is only my own, and I can't say I know what is going on with A&C.

soz I 4get i ned to talk down 4 u fam
smh srsly mah b bro

But that's a staple of imageboard and online communities, except maybe special heavily moderated hugboxes. It's something you can expect and learn to ignore or filter – not literally because filters don't work anyway, but rather in order to extract the necessary critique out of them.

Much appreciated

SWEET HONKING ARSEBANDITS, ITS BACK!=

Onto the matter at hand: how does our tutorial stage play? It's the third image in the OP and it's now playable. Please try it out and tell us how it plays. As previously mentioned we've been having swimming problems in the stage's river.

What's that?

Welcome back, nevereverfags, we missed you.

Holla Forums superhero project called Infinity-Verse. No there's currently no threads on Holla Forums for it since we moved it to slack and not coming back till we get the first comic done.

Yeah it's me Infinity-user here

Glad to see you showing up. Good luck with the comic.

(sage for offtopic)

Oh well, whatever keeps you motivated.

Yeah sure. The last time i saw an A&C thread was months ago.

Why don't you get fucked? get the fuck off this board? I don't want you here.

You pathetic bastards enclosed yourselves in a fucking hugbox.

You know I'm just gonna take time to actually say this. We didn't. We wanted to do work, organize the project and get stuff done. When I offered that I did say anyone could come with us to the slack where it would be easier to talk about things for it. Instead like maybe 2 or three of you got pissed (lets be honest there was not alot of people in those threads) while 3 people who actually wanted to do work came with me to the slack. Hell we got people even from Holla Forums at one point to come onto the project.

You can keep coming around saying 'it's a hugbox, it's a hugbox' when it's the opposite of such. It's people who wanted to see the project survive and actually become a comic.

I took a page from Anton with the project, if it kept in the threads then shit wasn't gonna get done.

Infinity-user is talking about Infinity-Verse though and not Anton&Coolpecker for clarification.

Hey I know blender and have made some low poly shit, could I help?

I want this on a t-shirt.

You're in luck I actually made these as t-shirts with a freind. I haven't put up the hotline miami one yet but it is on it's way. etsy.com/shop/ShirtsByDon?ref=hp_rv

Absolutely. Please - email [email protected]/* */ and I'll get back to you immediately!

How insanely convenient! And at such a low low price of $13!

Did you just dox yourself, Trevor?

found a good placeholder object

blendswap.com/blends/view/68922

Fuck, I guess I did

nice sales pitch, Trevor Ancona from Annapolis. Did your friend post the t-shirt post to give you your cue for you?

No, that's not a bad idea though, that was a weird coincidence.

I like how he shilled it so obviously.
clearly wasn't a dummy account.

Even if I'm wrong look at how convenient that shit is.

Oh the bright side, you can now start a patreon.

implying any one is dumb enough to donate to me

was it you who was a honor roll student at broadneck, mate? if so surely you don't need donations

I too would like a cool and affordable 100% cotton t-shirt suitable for both genders and available in a number of sizes.

I was surprised too, I just like ironic #aesthetic shit.

But what about Tags user? Could they happen to be tagless? If so I'll take 12!

we can cut the tags off, we make them by hand

You faggots better cough up the archive links so outside faggots claim you copied off Yooka Laylee

I've heard of bullshots, but this is ridiculous!

keep going you marvelous faggots.
Have a merchant for prosperity,money and foreskins.

thanks for helping out this little goy

So, jeb, give us an overview of what sort of occupations are available now.

See pic related

Spots Available:

More importantly, we need dedication from these people. I once recruited three 3D animators and they all left within a week, thinking to themselves "Well I did one thing and that's good enough I suppose" when in reality projects take long-term effort.

If this comes out before I'm 30 years old I'll shill it to everyone.
Hell, you could make it on steam greenlight it and i'd still buy it.

Figured as much. Idea guys are useless

Nope, the game has no money going into it and as such will charge no money upon release!

We laugh at you shitposters all the time whenever we have our rare threads.

I don't think he's accusing you of being an ideas guy, but rather, the people who bailed, and/or pitched ideas, but don't want to learn a skill/contribute labor.

He doesn't understand the purpose of sage. Can't expect much out of idiots

Well it's a good thing I can countersage :^)

nevereverfags are a staple whenever Holla Forums tries to get shit done.

That's because we've got the attention span of an ADHD nigger on a sugar high after he skipped his ritalin.

Some of you are alright. Don't repost in this thread tomorrow.

I actually love the Donald Trump memes.

I sit in the shadows, patiently awaiting my relevancy. But know that I will never abandon you. Godspeed, faggots.

sorry guys
Also both my computers are dead right now so I can't reinstall skype and meme on you all
You probably won't need me for a couple years anyways

good luck, nerds

wew

I don't care anymore.

what the hell is up with that casing and bullet
sage for ot

ayyyy we might actually need you soon so it'd be great if you could somehow get in touch with the team. Either way nice to know you're still around!

Time to get a microphone because my old
one snapped in half, my psu fried and my friend accidentally smashed my laptop screen so
If there's an email I can contact you at lmk and I'll try getting a mic or something ASAP

Email [email protected]/* */

Replied with my old email
Will update you with new one when my new ones ficed

Fuck off with your dead meme shit, reddit. FOREVER EVER is now and forever.

Doesn't matter anyways, I haven't recorded shit with my XLR mic yet

I have the Roland Tri-Capture w/ an AT2020 mic

El Hombre Grande and Chill Roller are gonna sound really crisp and clear now.

You still understand the fundamental concepts though, right?

Just fucking kill me. I really like programming, too, but I have no idea where to begin with making a game. I haven't even touched 3dsmax since I installed it.

It sounds to me like you need professionals more than a few dozen anons. If you don't want this game to NEVER EVER, you need to hire people who know what they are doing, and will stick around until the game is done. If money is an issue, try to get as much done as you can and resort to crowdfunding

Just find a library and use it. Take SFML and SDL for example. Start with 2D first.

I'm glad Yooka Laylee has pushed you redditors to total irrelevance.

I use a UX2 and it's working fine fam

I hope you niggers actually playtest the build
we still need as much feedback as we can get.

Does the bird still have bazoongas?

gotcha covered fam

a two cans toucan.

Awesome that you're still working on it.

I can't really help out much on the actual game but I own my own game studio with 9 employed developers. If you need any help with project management and the likes I can give you some tips.

The biggest one I can give is just have fun together, create a well written game document and always keep people motivated. Working on a game project that is going to be released for free isn't exactly the easiest to put 1000 of hours into but if you can create goals for yourself I'm sure you can do it.

When will this game be done? 2021?

Please - go right ahead and tell me about project management tips. Email [email protected]/* */ and you can tell me specific information about your studio where applicable. I'm open to constructive criticism.

picosong.com/x2Mr/

My idea for collecting food in the game.
It goes higher the more you collect and goes back to the first sample when you reached an octave

I wanna touch the tiddy

So is this even still a thing? I figured the announcement for Yooka Laylee brought it to a screeching halt.

Since I have so much free time and am super autistic, I'll see how quickly I can learn how to program.

So who, exactly, do you have on board at the moment? You're basically asking for people to make concept art, program the game, model the game, rig the game, and animate the game. Basically, all I'm seeing is… writing and game design? Voice acting? I could throw a rock in any online forum and find a dozen ideas guys who could do the same.

And people aren't really committed to staying with the project- you're not paying them a wage or giving them a slice of the profits (not that there are any). Expect people to leave when they get bored or busy.

Shiet, that's creative. I like it. Little bit of a Rayman Legends vibe, too.

Hey Jeb, Guess who I am making?

that is highly seductive…

Will this game become the next "Never Ever"?

Well it's hard to give feedback in such an early state, as I'm not sure of which things you are aware of and which not, but for starters, from a technical point of view:

Anton's attack animation transition is pretty fucked up if you don't do the second attack in the combo, it just choppily switches back to the standing animation.

If you mash shift, anton's attack hitbox appears and dissapears like crazy

Anton's ground pound looks terrible, perhaps it's just too fast or it's animation needs more work on it.

if you just tap RMB standing instead of holding it anton will start and cancel the diging animation, which looks terrible.

Also, doing that and then tapping RMB in the air to do a ground-pound will sometimes get you automatically digging.

Coolpecker's spinning lets you slide off of surfaces without falling for a bit, I don't know if this is intended or not, but the first spin doesn't lower coolpecker's altitude at all, so you can climb things that you aren't supposed to like that one mountain by doublejumping and spining over and over.

The ant enemies half of the time burry halfway into the ground for no reason.

The moving plataforms are fucked in a lot of different ways, if you groundpound with Anton, spin or glide into them with coolpecker, or just hit them with either of them from below or the sides the get fucked up, fly to a side or just resets into it's starting position or tries to do so. Also, sometimes when I get there from the sides with coolpecker by spining the variable IsGrounded gets all fucked up while standing on it.

I haven't even tried the water yet.

Now from the design point of view, I don't see why anybody would ever use anton instead of Coolpecker, outside of the fact that he can attack and burrow into the ground, Coolpecker is better in every way, which means that players would just use coolpecker from 90% of the game and just change to anton whenever it's absolutely necesary. Perhaps making anton a bit faster than coolpecker or making it's jump a bit higher?
Also, everything overall is waaaay to slow and perhaps a bit too floaty. I would make the characters move a bit faster and fall just a tiny bit faster, it feels like they are on the moon.

I still love you AppleGreen

>tfw "created" Coolpecker as a joke
I'm glad you guys got this far with my little joke post, I'll be proud whether you finish or not

how does it feel to be a father

it warms my heart to see these threads and the duo it feels great
I didn't actually come up with Anton though so he's not my son, I forgot when he came in actually, first thread I think

I'll get back to you once I get off my lazy ass and learn how to do 3D animation.

Also, jumping against walls sometimes sets "IsGrounded" to true, leaving you jump again, this isn't much of a ploblem with Anton since the wall pushes you outwards so you can't do anything, but with coolpecker by mashing the spin and doublejumping you can climb straight walls.

Sent an email

Nope - we were on good terms with Playtonic and likely still are.

(checked)
Who are you?

I'm considering changing how combat is affected by the player-characters.

(checked)
Posts like these keep us going.

We're mainly using Blender.

I'm practicing my modeling, soon texturing, and animating. I'll send a message to you soon, probably when I update this with textures.

also, as long as the project doesn't take nearly half a whole decade, it's all k

Dude don't listen to them, I love your music

Is this bird character still in, the doctor one?

hurdy gurdy?

Gonna sink into the demo tomorrow evening, lads. For now, just a supportive bump. I really wanna see this game be completed, but you don't need programmers right now, do you?

Stay determined. Keep chipping away at it. May you get some good recruits soon to help get things done.

Drew more Dualata

Yes

What's the actual point of this if Yooka-Laylee is coming out?

What's really the point of most projects that get worked on by a chan? People want to do shit to show they can do shit or maybe out of boredom. Either or we'll still get Yooka Laylee and possibly one other addition to it.

I would call it a win/win situation really. You got the rare crew coming back to give us something and another done by some unknown/unknowns that might get done. At this point who really freakin knows?

If this gets done then great Holla Forums managed to make another game.

If not then well it's not really much lost is it?

Lets be straight up honest here. When this game releases it's very much gonna be clunky as fuck, why do you think it's gonna be free? It will be a labor of love yes but in all honesty it's everyone's first video game project so it's not gonna get a huge tone of perfection.

There's a chance here to see it develop into something better.

Sorry to, just, well. What have you completed? I could "make" a pathfinding agorithm, meaning it's done but propably not ready for your engine.

Why should we only have 1 of these types of games? Besides that the AnC universe that has been sketched out seems much more comfy and enjoyable than Yooka.

I guess. I mean it has been a while and I've consumed a lot of alcohol since then.
I do still have some of my uni books I could probably blitz through in a week to get me back into the swing of things though