Are there games where you're truly alone?

Are there games where you're truly alone?
Not fucking walking simulators, but actual games?
By alone I mean no NPCs and no sentient enemies or bosses.
Even games like 8-bit castlevania had bosses that had personalities, so you never felt that you're the only thinking creature in the entire world.
And all modern day a filled to the brim with NPCs and humanoid enemies to keep you company.

Animals or some simplistic robots would be good enemies for a game like this, and even then it would be cooler to have some abstract shit attacking you, that you can't relate to.

The closest game to that I can think about would be Sotc and EVEN THEN you have your horse, your dead somebody and your Malus constantly whispering indecencies in your ear.
I just want some prime solitude AND gameplay man.

Other urls found in this thread:

trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Polarity is a nice example, find it on Steam.

Mist?

Evolve.

Never heard of it, will check.

I admit I never played it, but I always assumed it's something like Syberia. Does it not have any characters?

I chuckled.

Does Journey do that?

NaissancE maybe.

The Long Dark is pretty comfy.

Ok let's see.

It's PS only, I don't have one unfortunately. But it does look cool.

It turns out there are 5 of them, holy shit. It looks kinda intimidating.

Eh, can't say I dig visual design, I'll probably give this one a pass.

Looks extremely tempting, but fucking Early Access. Did anyone play it? How is it going? Do they update their shit frequently?

That one was in my wishlist, somehow I forgot about it. It looks interesting if gimmicky. Some more relatable locations would convince me more, but I can't blame you since I mentioned abstract enemies.

In riven and myst especially there's almost no interaction with other people. In riven they're around but don't want to talk to you, in myst, you often are the only living being when you walk one of the ages. Very lonely, unsettling even. Creeped me out as a kid, and even now.

You only need the first two. I don't know about the later ones at all, but I know the third one wasn't made by the same company. It shows.

Ok now steam has a bazillion of "editions"
Which one do I need? Myst: Masterpiece Edition?

Battleborn

You're looking for first person puzzle/adventure games, particularly 90's FMV games.

The Myst series is king for good reason, and I would urge you to play them in order. realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is in full 3D and easiest to play/run when compared to the original Quicktime slideshow. You can pirate the GOG version. Have a notebook handy and don't use a guide, faggot. If you liked Myst, you'll adore Riven, the sequel, and you'll get hooked enough to play the rest. Uru is the last in the series, a free MMO where you pretend to be an archeologist alone or with the few other NEETs crazy enough to play it. It's fantastic, but you'll miss out on a lot of things if you didn't play the previous games. Embed very related.

Myst was so popular back then there is a metric shitton of clones that tried to do their own thing, like Journeyman Project, Scratches, Dracula, Darkfall, Aura, Nikopol, Amerzone, Atlantis, etc. Practically all of them have the same pattern - lots of puzzles, complete loneliness and heavy atmosphere.

Real life

Check the discussion boards for Myst: ME to see if there are any problems running on a modern PC. If it's okay, grab it. If not, realMyst is fine.

Miasmata, you're on an abandoned jungle island and you wander around finding plants to make potions and shit to survive.

I heh'd 3/3

Did noone play this while online? You guys know that other players show up in your world and leave when you get separated, usually a couple times in one playthrough. All you can really do is walk together and try and communicate by drawing in the sand or doing the little emote things.

I know it goes against your rules, but Silent Hill 2 is the only game that managed to make me feel alone. Of course this is all subjective, but everyone you meet throughout the game are absorbed in their own stories, they can't give two shits about you, especially the fat fuck. So you have people that aren't really there, an eerie atmosphere to make you feel like it's gonna last forever, and remnants of the people that were there no more. I just think it was very well crafted and it really struck me home.

On the other hand, if by alone you mean I hate all the peoples, there's tons of survival games other people have mentioned, though most of them are in Early Access. I'd say honorable mentions are Subnautica (though a robot voice explains various items IIRC, not sure if that breaks your rules), and The Forest (though you're chased by 'sentient' cannibals throughout the game; they never talk though, they just want to gut you, so I don't know if this breaks your rules either).

Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead with NPCs turned off.
The only enemies are zombies, killer robots, wildlife, and lovecraft-esque monsters.
It's the only good zombie survival type game.

Forgot trailer.

The great thing about both Subnautica and The Forest is that it's not part of the bullshit procedurally generated games. The world map is crafted to be the way it is and in both cases, subsequent playthroughs only change the starting point.

Well if you're autistic and love building shit then there's minecraft

To bad that cata is being developed by goons who are also into memes, good game though.

Yeah everything involving the devs and community is cancer to be avoided.
Like changing the accepted military term "designated marksman rifle" to this abomination because "muh gender binary is problematic."

designated shootist are you fucking serious now?

I have seen some shit but this takes the cake

I guess realMyst: ME it is.
Thank you guys.

WEW
E
W

Also forgot to mention that this is the guy who is incharge of DDA's development.

But the REAL question is….
Are we TRULY alone?

Playing Far-Cry 2 with Dylan's mod and no companions feels pretty lonely. Especially since all my best friends (in the game) died trying to help me Everybody's trying to kill you, and any interaction has the pretext of you just trying to get some information. In the all of the briefings before all the missions you do for the factions, they explain that nobody will help you.

Cargo Commander is also pretty lonely, since the premise is that you're out in the middle of nowhere scavenging space junk. You're son will send you letters with drawings and saying "I miss you" and stuff. The one song used in the game is fucking great and I love it.

Soloing Risk of Rain, a couple chunks of Dark Messiah, FUEL when you get lost.

Excuse me while I never stop laughing.

I've still found no proof that those bodies not attached to my conscious aren't robots designed to test me, so yes

That guy is a real fucking Anthony Burch level bona fide kool aid drinking cuck, and I'm not fucking exaggerating when saying it.

You're in for a wild ride, user.

You will undoubtedly reach a point where you will think of giving up. Don't. Just take a break and think it through again later. Everything has logical sense, you just need to figure out the logic itself.

There was also this on the wiki. One dev getting into an edit war over pronouns of the player.
I think he left development at some point since then though.

I can fucking feel the fedora tipping from the screen, Jesus fucking Christ.

Some of these people will vote and breed and it scares me.

No that's full with NPCs with terrible AI.

Are there games where you are truly outrageous?

I enjoyed the submachine flash games. You never see another living creature or sentient being. The only evidence of other's existences being notes they left which may or may not be years or even decades old.

Wew.

Garry's Mod singleplayer

The Long Dark

Shadow of the colossus before the ending
Doom
Any racing game
Mario everything is an enemy

Deadcore

Fuck off gook.

Got this the other day
Gonna try it in a little bit

Can you link me to it, all i can find is some random puzzle game.

tetris

The Long Dark is moving along at a pretty steady pace. I think the survival mode is more or less feature-complete right now.

Subnautica
Early acess. But it has an open roadmap
trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

scratches is one of my favorite mansion horror games, just because of the almost complete lack of jumpscares.

Limbo

Can't do that, but it has an appearance and playstyle like Portal.

Metroid II gives you a pretty good feeling of isolation, and all of the enemies are animals. You're alone in the caves of SR-388 to hunt down every last Metroid. Everything feels so silent and barren. Super Metroid is like this most of the time too, but not quite as much. The first Metroid is a bit lively compared to these two.

Kairo is a first-person puzzle game where you explore some ancient ruins. You're completely alone and the ambient music is pretty relaxing. It looks like a fucking modern art installation though.

The demons/monsters in Doom and Quake aren't exactly talkative, but there's a lot of them. In Street Fighter 2010 you're supposed to be the last normal human or something. The bosses are all crazed mutants and they don't have much personality. In The Guardian Legend you explore an artificial cave planet full of monsters crashing towards Earth and look for a way to destroy it. Unless there was a store or something, the only interaction you have with intelligent life is a recording. And then there's Asteroids, Gravitar, Adventure…

realMyst isn't quite the same, it's fully 3D instead of prrendered. realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is just realMyst with moar gwafix.

Play Factorio if you have autism. You're a lone engineer on an alien planet with no company besides zerg-like creatures.

I loved this series, they're the comfiest of games. Pretty obscure these days though. But my absolute favourite game in the genre is Salammbo, that was amazing.

Spirits of Xanadu?

mah nigga

It has no ingame map and can be a bit of a clusterfuck if you don't know what you're doing, but it's surprisingly solid for a GB title exploration platformer.

The only music is in the main tunnel, inside ruins, final area, and Vs Metroids.

Music for the most part is ambient beeps and clicks, akin to "bugs in the speakers" and keeps you on your toes. Samus has footfall sound effects.

Metroids have a battle theme that starts with a jump scare chord, but unlike 99% of jump scares, this one can kill you as it means a metroid is actively trying to kill you, but it can scare you shitless when you've been running around for 20 min in near silence only to find what you think is a secret passage and run right into a metroid.

Super Metroid has iconic music in each area, and while it can help with the atmosphere, it never gives the sense you're "alone" like alien crickets do.

World of Warcraft: Legion

how outrageous we talking?

ayy

Wasn't the thing of journeyman 3 doppelganging characters to deceive their companions into thinking you are them and using this to manipulate your way into the solution? That's quite the opposite of what OP wants, but I recognize your point, games with this kind of aesthetic tended to be lonely and contemplative puzzle solving fantasies.

W-what game is that?

You spend most of the game with wild alien beasts, your dead wife and robots.

Looking at the steam reviews, it seems there is a darkest dungeon thing going on where the devs are making the game less fun as it goes on because of muh vision. Are they right or just casuals crying ?

Myst was mentioned, but there were quite many similar PC adventure games released in the mid 90s.

Debatable:
Another World
System Shock 1&2
Oddworld Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus
Portal

Shit, I forgot D

Are there any desert travelling simulators other than Journey?

Back to the top you go!

>Enjoy your new lonely survival simulator. Unless you come across some faggot goblins or shit

I've gone through the assortiment games I usually play, and it really is difficult to find a game where you really are the only sentient being in the forseeable world around you. Even the supposedly lonely survival/crafting games like Don't Starve have NPCs and other sentient beings.

NaissancE is amazing until the final boss - even with console commands I can't finish the game

La Mulana works, once you're in there more or less.
Amnesia and Penumbra.
Risk of Rain
Serious Sam
You could play SMT Nocturne this way if you wanted I think.
Flashback

yeah it's rough, games keep flashing in my head for a second before I realize I'm wrong. Demon's souls has a ton of people, are the Kings Field games more desolate?

Wow, never heard of it or the novel but it looks very interesting. Would be nice if it gets on GOG.

Trannies confirmed for not human