New official Quake 1 episode released!

New official Quake 1 episode released!

twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752/photo/1

>Happy 20th to Quake @idsoftware! As a gift to the fans, we created a new episode of the game cdn.bethsoft.com/quake/dopa.rar

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!PdgmWBRZ!V--GmdhJL5vDKTJ2-3fx6iBLnIBHE9bcuAHKq4JjUo0
mega.nz/#!HMRxzJTB!uyk6lPCpmn1eVK0qh667Ekwh3yQEdHzVLGR9uqHV9JM
mega.nz/#!idwA2BQZ!LolmyFx3umn-feNj1UCwgIgjtm8zSKpCNRLpmBXFDbU
archive.is/LwsJt
quakewiki.org/wiki/DirectQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is it any good?
still sad it's a PR attempt to bolster their new abortion

I'm not very far into it but so far I'm really liking it.

This is just poor quality lube for the assfucking of the century

i would actually prefer Quake abortion from MachineGames rather from this guys

everyone who cares about quake knows machine games isn't as qualified as many of the leading voices in the community like czg, mfx, sock, skacky, etc. People who truly understand and innovate with Quake.

Feels a lot like Episode 3 or Scourge of Armagon, so if you liked those you might dig it.

I'm glad to play Quake again (haven't touched it for at least the past five years), but this episode is disappointing and bland.

There are a lot of details in the props (crates rotated in all directions, broken walls, etc), but if you were to remove the useless eye candy, you'd see how "square" the level design is… and when I say "square" I'm not talking graphics (there's a really well done arch at the beginning of E5M4), but this episode's level design isn't as chaotic as iD's original game: the layout is fairly linear, everything is way too lit and rooms tend to always follow the same structure (lots of symmetry, lots of Ctrl+C Ctrl+V, halls always look the same). It also feels like enemies were placed "because there was enough room on the floor", and more often than not in batches (here's the hellknight room, here's the ogre room, the enforce room, the shambler room, and so on and so forth), combats were becoming so tedious I skipped some of them. Another thing that grind my gears: level designers now consider "secret areas" any items that isn't directly on your path or line of sight…

The generic level names are pretty telling: they were "making levels". You can change the texture set from one level to the other and you probably won't notice any difference at all.

It's okay but it's also unimpressive… but it's also free. Set the difficulty to hard or nightmare for your first play-through.

daily reminder that MachineGames are literally populated by the same retards behind the Syndicate reboot and published(?) Payday 2

"Hey, Bob, you know those levels I've got you working on for that old game we're making the 'reboot' of? Well I just remembered this old mee-mee from back in the day called 'Dopefish' - the kids will want to see it; you've got until 5PM today to make sure it's in at least one of the levels you're making."

How do I Quake without buying Steam?

Without giving money to Zenimax, you mean. Anyway:
DOWNLOAD:
mega.nz/#!PdgmWBRZ!V--GmdhJL5vDKTJ2-3fx6iBLnIBHE9bcuAHKq4JjUo0
ADDONS (optional):
mega.nz/#!HMRxzJTB!uyk6lPCpmn1eVK0qh667Ekwh3yQEdHzVLGR9uqHV9JM
mega.nz/#!idwA2BQZ!LolmyFx3umn-feNj1UCwgIgjtm8zSKpCNRLpmBXFDbU

you realize that texture was already in quake, right?

fuck off weeb

quakespasm or darkplaces

How do I play this new episode? When I run the game in Quakespasm it just has the main campaign and the two mission packs.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

quakespasm -game dopa

if you're on windows, create a batch file should be easier to do

I thought this was a quake episode not a doom wad

Thanks guys

"If Quake was made today" the episode

WHAT THE FUCK

ARTIFICAL FUCKING DIFFICULTY

this episode is really fucking stingy with supplies

Stay triggered goon.

It's enjoyable but not mindblowning.

these look extremely unimpressive when you see what the community has been putting out.

I will never understand why Quake took such a dramatic turn when it came to tone and setting of the game after it's first game.

quake 2 wasn't supposed to be a quake game, they were going to call it something else, but I believe that name was trademarked so they just said "call it quake 2."

Quake 2 was a terrible game however.

Oh c'mon nigga. It wasn't as good as Unreal but it's a pretty good game.

The first game was envisioned as a fantasy setting, and then took a hard turn to sci-fi half way through development, when the original vision wasn't really working out.

some awful back tracking with that retarded siren, forgettable music, awful enemy design and awful level design. The weapons are pretty shitty too.

I have no respect for it. It's a game designed primarily by amateurs cobbled together from the modding community, and its lack of direction, decent enemy design, and boring as fuck weapons speaks for itself.

I never want to play it again. Unreal, I might revisit in a few years, Quake I'll probably be playing it this week.

The dopefish is the only cool thing about it, though. Don't hate on that of all things.

Apperently it's made by a guy named J. F. Gustafsson from the community who works now for Machine Games.

archive.is/LwsJt

I think he's just expressing some pessimism about the industry in general. I absolutely disagree with him, but I see where he's coming from.

I was talking about Quake 2, but that's neat. I know MFX works/worked at Starbreeze and worked on Riddick EFBB and some of their other games, and he's arguably the best Q1SP designer around. Maybe he left for machinegames.

What's that first image, user?

Nyarlathotep map 2. Map 1 is even better, but its hard to show it off considering how dense fog is in that map, it may not look impressive but it plays amazingly.

Ah, thanks. Have you played "Something Wicked This Way Comes?" Definitely one of my favorite maps, it's got a lot of backtracking but manages to stay interesting. It also fucks with the weapon balancing making the game feel a whole lot faster, fun, and dangerous. Give it a try if you get the chance.

Yes, something wicked is tremendous, iirc, nyarlathotep is the part 2 of that "series." Absolutely amazing texture work in it too.

I bought the game on steam months ago and using an image to find some sourceports I got it working, now all I really wanted was the game to support my resolution and aspect ratio with this done I'm all good. See I want the music and since there's some episodes I can do as well as an user posted in this thread thanks to him. I just wanted to know am I setting up my folders in Quakespasm right?

>every official site for it is either dead or compromised by mudslimes not fuckin joking, one of the links here quakewiki.org/wiki/DirectQ links to some site with a muslim woman on it that tries to inject viruses on your shit
anyone have a download for DirectQ? Its shit has been successfully fucked.

Just use QuakeSpasm.

I figured it out I had my files named wrong and I have to activate them with a command if I want to hear them

Watch this video and download gog version of Quake. It also explains how to enable music ingame.

So I was playing it and my HUD isn't really there now I really only need to know what my hp is.
Second holy fuck some of these encounters I win by the hair of my teeth and there's just enough hp to keep me going. I can duck, dodge and weave out of shots and come out on top fucking hell what happened to video games like this?
I get the same happy feeling only playing a few games honestly.

Move the expansion packs one directory above.

options > screen size

thanks, i'll have a look at the gog video in a moment. liking quakespasm quite a bit right now.

To which GLquake?

My screen size is maxed out. Sorry for shitty snapshot here but I had to use an external program to take a shot

That's the problem.

…Oh wait I get it holy fuck how did I not think about this. It was like that natively so I left it

fuck this is slightly funny in a way

Trent is really good at dound design I guess

Music in id1 and the mission packs outside that huh?
Right well music has to be console commanded to work each level and I haven't even finished the main game yet

Daily reminder it's now full of fuckwits and children you're on your own with cancer there mate

>implyign it hasnt always been filled with fuckwits and children

it never gets better

Nothing ever does user, nothing really ever does

What did they do to the formatting? Newlines are broken on all comments.

they fucked it, johnny.
they fucked it all.

To be completely fair, two out of four screenshots were made to show what I meant by "Ctrl+C Ctrl+V design". I also think it's a limit respected add-on (so you can forget skyboxes, fog, and overly complex architectures). Maybe it's even possible to make a few good looking screenshots from this add-on… but frankly, I'd rather play the mediocre Aftershock all over again than this, because even though Aftershock was sub par compared to the four original episodes of Quake (or pretty much any other production of that time), I can still remember the mood of some levels (which is not the case of Dopa).

As a side note: if you have the occasion, try Malice for Quake, a total conversion where you play a bounty hunter in a not-so-distant future. I have fond memories of that pack, but I should probably play it again to see if it's still any good.