Seems some more people are having problem with region locking, this time courtesy of GOG

gog.com/forum/general/release_gun_34149

gog.com/game/gun

Users from (or those using an ISP from) Germany seem to be unable to buy or even visit the store page of the newly released western themed game GUN. A decade old game is apparently too much for people over in Germany to handle, and GOG has restricted those living in Germany to buy it.

Oh, and not to mention the price tag which is generally higher than what you'd pay getting a used console copy on Ebay. There are some people wondering why the price for a decade old game is $20, as it seems fairly steep.

Still, makes you wonder if GOG, as good as a service it can be, can really be up front and honest with their consumers and userbase more, and not giving incomplete or half assed releases

that is why you pirate games of dead devs.

Why do companies region-lock their games, anyway? It is the current year, niggers.

gogdrones will defend this when kicking, screaming, and sage-downvoting about steam

GoG is great though. Its existence has made it much easier to pirate games both old and new

woah

simply epic

honestly amen to that, on account of gog's drm-free installers it's mindnumbingly easy to both pirate games and keep them updated for stuff like terraria

I just enjoy the fact that even if GOG one day turned into irredeemable shit, I have my DRM free archive of games at my disposal. So at the very least, no worries when it comes to having access to my games, and all the free extra material (I love all the soundtracks as free extras).

Might as well just tell any German customers to pirate it.

German here, we've come to terms with and and personality that's what I've been doing for years.

How dare they try to take away my Zombie Nazi fun

???
since when are gog sjws???

Wait, the game is banned in germany & you're blaming GOG instead of germany? Did I read it wrong?

GOG has gone down the shitter in the last few years. They've become just as Jewish as Valve. Not a surprise since they're owned by CDPR.

This is still a secondary reason to joy. The main one is that many older games have been updated to work on newer operating systems. I hate having to run stuff in a virtual XP.

I was thinking this as well, but then I got the impression that while there was a ban the game could then (later?) still be bought in Germany.

Technically one could still be gifted the game by another GOG user and get to play it, to my understanding. So GOG's region locking makes no sense at all if Germans can still somehow acquire and play the game without even needing a VPN or something.

From a legal standpoint it does. Gifted games may simply be a technical loophole, but if germans were found in possession of banned games it could still land them in legal trouble whereas GOG sheds culpability onto the gifter of the game.

Possession of banned games is illegal? Wow, fuck Germany.

It is not. What is illegal is selling banned games, owning them is perfectly legal. Well, they can be confiscated, but there's no further impending legal trouble associated.
I'm not defending this, just explaining. If tomorrow all censors were found dead I'd party hard.

It is not illegal to sell them, it is illegal to display them (I'm aware is more or less the same thing). Which is why while almost every game ever has German language support and occasionally have versions with stupid shit like jihad-bots and green blooded cyborgs

There are different levels of the Index. Your description applies to a lower level, mine to the highest level of censorship, games that are outright banned, not just restricted in advertizing. Even those are legal to own.

don't tell me there are people who PAY for abandonware with stolen cracks?

Did anything ever come out of that? It was pretty much proven that they've stolen at least some of their cracks.

Where did you hear that from? They include unofficial fixes and patches from time to time, but I haven't seen a case of them denying that they used unofficial work when they actually did.

They are required by law to do it.
Its either that or not offering their services in Germany at all.

OP's a retard

That's an age-old Holla Forums discovery.

Honestly I'm not sure if I ever really cared though, since it's not like pirates were making money off their cracks, so who cares if it gets stolen?

Used without permission or credit, you mean.

The usual OP faggotry.

I'm from Germany, so let me explain. There is a "voluntary" rating board called the USK who give the game its age rating. It's technically voluntary because you don't have to get a rating from them, but if you don't then your product is automatically "indexed". I'll come back later to what that means, but suffice to say that if you want to make any real sales you have no choice but get your game rated, so it's voluntary in the same sense that paying the mob for protection is voluntary.

If a game fails to get even an 18+ rating it is indexed, which is commonly translated as "banned", but that's not entirely accurate. You are still allowed to buy the game legally, but it is forbidden to advertise the game, which also includes displaying it for sale. In the case of retail stores you would have to go to the counter and explicitly ask for the game and then they can sell it to you. Of course hardly anyone is going to carry an item they are not allowed to display, so being indexed is practically the same as being banned. In the case of online stores I don't think there is any way around the issue, unless you get the game gifted by someone else.

In order to avoid getting indexed publishers will often censor their games, and because the rating costs money many will even censor their games in advance in order to avoid having to get the game rated a second time. But since it's voluntary self-censorship it is not considered anti-constitutional.

GoG is not a German store, retard.

iirc they did open up a german storefront a year or so ago.
Back then some were already saying that it might lead to games being withheld from the german store, and lo and behold, it finally happened.