Do you think there should be more female video game protagonists? Not only character customization choice...

Do you think there should be more female video game protagonists? Not only character customization choice, but being forced to play as a female?

I like to play as a female because I'm obsessed with ass.

Spending hours of fapping to futa on female has made me prefer playing as a female character most of the time
send help

Yes, usually female characters have better customization.
And I'm a complete faggot for female clothing
Sadly most people here will just go

No, I'm not a fuckin' fag like you bro.
Jill's ass was fucking out of this world though, dear lord.

Gay

HEY LOOK HE'S BACK

Literally don't give a shit.
Liked the cute little straining sounds Faith made in mirror's edge 1 and like that booty in third person games, but honestly, i couldn't care less.

Fuck off ass autist

No I think there should be more video games, not movies disguised as them

yes, gotta love some ass

fuck off ireland

I don't think there should be, but if devs want to add them at their own discretion (and aren't being pressured to add them by whiny feminists) then I wouldn't mind.

The rabbi is going all in today isnt he

Most AAA games make games with male protagonists because of the pressure from investors to make it appeal to as general an audience as possible. Female protags aren't hated, but they typically don't have the same pull as shaved head male protags.

Is there some guy who makes these threads a lot? I just made this thread because I was playing REvelations.

Both men an women have asses. Hence why its gay to be an ass fetishist.

That's like saying you have a sex fetish.

NO

Female protagonists are fine, but if your only justification for the inclusion of them is because we "dont have enough" then that is stupid. Similarly I hate the argument that women/girls can only relate to female protagonists as if they lack empathy.

We never 'need' characters who fit a certain bracket. I'd much rather have a million well written and fleshed out men than a handful of lazily scribbled "strong, empowered and independent womyn".

Also Remember Me was a pretty fucking awful game and Nilin was the star retard of the cast. Shes kinda cute but has the personality and conviction of a dinner plate.

Seriously this voice is called "Edge" and just has you do random terrorist acts to 'prove a point' and it turns out hes just an AI who wants you to kill him. He also has you mentally scar your parents because just do it Nilin who cares itll be funny I guess. She constantly questions his motives and herself but never once acts independently.

The memory remixing was the most fun part of the game and you get to do it like five times in total.

Sure. I like playing as female protaganists but it's only going to be good if they are actual characters rather than the forced shit we usually get. I wouldn't expect a decent female character from any Western dev but Japan coud easily put out something good. Imagine if you actually got to play as that little girl in Scalebound instead of Donte 2.0?

No.

Answer me this:

How do you create a good female protagonist without a fucking agenda attached to her?

Yes so i can keep staring at those great asses when they walk

make her a real human bean instead of a vehicle for an agenda, it's not that hard.

user, that requires work. Same as nigger protagonists or whatever. You have two options

or you can just

Guess which one is cheaper to do?

Write characters as generic androgynous human beings without thinking about sex and gender.

Once you've done that, then start considering their sex and gender, and how that might influence their behavior.

If you build them around their sex or gender from the ground up, they'll probably be more shallow than if you consider their genitals after you flesh them out as a human being. They'll either be cliches and stereotypes, or too hard in the other direction where they end up being something pumped with agendas and ideals.

no it fucking doesn't, I don't understand how writers have issues with this.

I don't really care. Playing as a qt is fun though

While this is generally a solid idea, let's not forget that sometimes, someone's race or gender actually does have an effect on their personality and upbringing. I'm not saying that needs to be at the forefront of your character design, but it's just more interesting when these things don't exist in a vacuum, you know?

Like, a nigger from Grove Street is going to have a different upbringing than a nigger from a kung-fu monastery.

I'd like more female protags, but I don't think there "should" be anything specific like that. I think every developer should have the freedom to develop the game they want to, regardless of sex and gender, though.
If people want more female protagonists, they should make games with female protagonists. Nobody should be listening to minority voices demanding that companies lose money for their own ideals. If you want a certain kind of game, make it. If you can't make it learn how to. If you don't want to learn how to, stop bitching, because you obviously don't actually care enough to put in a modicum of effort.
This self-absorbed "games need to pander specifically to me and my ideals" is fucking retarded in a free market. Buy the games you want, and don't buy the games you don't. If you are the only one who wants something, the market isn't going to listen to you. If there are a lot of people who want something, a niche will form. This is the nature of capitalism.

I stay out of the politics, but that's the only thing that actually pisses me off about SJWs: that they are a complaining culture. They complain and try to bend others to their ideals (right or wrong), and don't actually make anything of substance themselves. A lot of faggots here are guilty of the same, but we actually have /agdg/ and constant /agdg/ threads that are actually making games. How many SJW communities have swarms of people making real vidya, beyond the little "I'm going to get rich on my indie platformer" idiots?

Only if they are cute waifus.

No, this concetration of fem protagonists is good, but any kind of strong and independent womyn should have super/ techno/ magic powers, because real women are not strong and independent.

with supernatural elements I'm not saying Bayo is well written, I just wanted to use her image

Well, sure. I didn't mean to pretend like they don't have those attributes, just don't think about them in context of their personalities, rather as events that play in the story.

You have a black person who racism is affecting? Think "How would a person respond to this kind of descrimination?" rather than "How would a nigger respond to this kind of descrimination?"
You have a woman protecting a child or something? Think "How would a person behave in order to save their child", rather than "How would a woman behave to protect her child?"

Keep the context the same, but ignoring the superfluous attributes while writing lets you think closer to the personality of the character. The rest is noise at that level. Thinking "She is a woman" can pull you out of the context of the situation, making you write around what in the end is irrelevant to the rest of the context.

You can argue to the end of the earth and back about the differences in behavior and intelligence of the different sexes and races (if you want to get extra Holla Forumsitical), but in the end writing around those theories, true or not, will end up with shallow characters.

Note that I'm not a writer in any sense, but I do read a shit load of books, so I'm well-versed in good and shitty characters.

I'd argue that Bayonetta is well-written.

The characters don't have depth, and the story doesn't have depth, but the writing is well-done in that depth isn't the goal. It's supposed to be an over-the-top crazy pulp fiction story. The parts that are supposed to be cheesy are cheesy, and it feels like the story is cohesive and exactly what the writers wanted it to be.

I like depth in characterization and story, but depth is not mandatory for good writing. Good writing is about being able to tell a cohesive story with internal consistency that conveys exactly the message that you want it to. A good story isn't about depth or complexity, but rather about entertainment and gripping, efficient communication.

Shallowness is usually a detractor in a story, but it really depends on the goal of the story In the end.

Same way you can have a male character that isn't a cardboard cutout of a simpering feminist bitch.

Right, but taking that example of Grove Street, none of those guys spent their entire time cursing whitey and how the guvmint is keeping them down, did they? Sure, they butted heads with the law but I dont recall them blaming that [solely] on racism.

A characters actions (or inactions) should be representative of their personality or upbringing and not a tool to bludgeon the player with 'correct' thoughts. Its a case of "show; don't tell". Having a shithead character get their comeuppance is fine. Signing it off with something like "YOU JUST GOT BEAT BY A GUUURLLL" or some equally "This is what racist/sexist/-ist people deserve" is beyond petty.

Bleh, there's nothing wrong adding some artificial diversity, it makes the soup more tasty than the reality I'm trying to escape. Just don't use too much spice.

Literally who gives a shit

you when someone tries to force feed you a subject you are not interested in

More normal women and less lesbian feminists.

I didn't mean "generic" as in generic people. I mean "generic" as in "without physical attributes". Not to pretend that they don't have physical attributes (because characters will respond differently to one-another's), but when writing a character's behavior, consider their personality completely separately.

For example:

Barbara's physical attributes: She's white, female, somewhat short, medium bust size, brown hair
Barbara's personality: somewhat reserved, only outspoken when prodded, acts as a follower primarily, easily jealous, but generally nice, submissive personality

Peter's physical attributes: Japanese ancestry, American born, male, slightly below-average hight, lean build, black hair
Peter's personality: more outspoken (still below-average gall), can be a leader but generally doesn't care, not easily jealuous, only attracted to white women, more conservative, bossy, slightly dominant

When writing Peter's behavior, you only take his personality into account for his actions, but he interacts with Barbara's personality and also takes her physical attributes into consideration. You don't consider that Peter is a man or Asian when writing how he acts or behaves, except where they would influence his personality (which has already been separated out).
Notice that Barbara's personality is more like a generic woman and Peter's is more like a generic man. That's fine. Because you've separated the personality traits out from the physical ones (even where the physical and biological ones are the source of the personality traits), you can write them more as individual humans than as archetypes.

Again, I'm not a writer of any sort, but I've read too much shit from both progressive/liberal and moderate writers that reduce characters to bland archetypes because they write (positively or negatively) completely around their biology, race, upbringing, sex, and class, ignoring that actual humans don't quite separate out like that so cleanly.

This also helps you separate out and helps prevent you from falling into the "black woman is invincible and infallible" pitfall, where you are afraid of making a character able to make a mistake, either because of the socio-political ramifications or because you don't know if you can write it in a fair way. By considering only personalities, you know what mistakes and fuckups a person will make based on how their personality behaves, and you can't hide behind race and sex, even unintentionally.

Agree 100%.

Edge isn't just an AI that want's to die, he's an AI that want's to die because he's made of all the tragic and painful memories.

In other words, his background is every edgy backstory ever.

This so much. I have actually meant women who refuse to play video games unless the main character is female.
I couldn't even argue with them because it just seems so ridiculous to me. Why limit your perspective? I told them I felt sorry for them. They're missing out on some great games.

It's been done before. It can be done again.

as long as they're not pushed into it and it fucks up the storyline; there's nothing worse than a female protagonist with the fact that they are better than guys being pushed in your face all the time

My sister's the same way. She won't play a game unless she can play as a girl. She's a super casual though, only plays like maybe 5 hours a week, if even.

As an option most would be content with it.
When it gets forced you can just fuck off and never come back.

Make a good character and then make her the protagonist.

If they're cute and not-obnoxious characters

I don't give a shit and neither should anyone else, all that should matter is whether the character is good or not.

Anyone who gets pissy over the lack or the presence of a female protagonist doesn't actually care for vidya or is false-flagging to market the game, respectively.

wow you're right she was literally just taking orders from some random guy the whole game, i can't even see feminists defending this game, still the gameplay was alright except that MEEEMORIESSS thing that kept playing every 5 minutes

Only if done right.

yes, but only if they're hot

it's easy. write a character backstory, personality, flaws, etc. first, then assign gender/sexuality/superficial rubbish afterwards.

I like female characters, assuming they are well written.

The only thing worse then soulless fap bait characters, is stronk wymn sjw bait characters.

Of course I hardly ever do a self insert character. It seems sad to me when people do that. You actually have control of your life, but instead of doing something to bring your fantasy you to life, you just build a guy that looks like you in Skyrim because it's almost the same thing?

only bad if overdone

As long as it's not there just so that the writer/writers can slack off and still get rave reviews, go right ahead.

in the vast majority of games no, character customization is almost always better

However, if there is only one style of gameplay and the entire game is built around it, then I am absolutely fine with a defined protagonist whose appearance and personality matches that style of gameplay. The best example I have of this is Bayonetta.

But again only do this if there's a singular style to the game, if you have a game like Ass Effect or The Witcher where you make lots of decisions in dialogue having a set protagonist is dumb. Why should I make those kind of decisions for Geralt? He is a fully fleshed out character and is entirely capable of making those decisions on his own. In those kind of games a mute protagonist with customization is much preferred so the player can make whatever kind of character they think will suit the playstyle and decisions that they will employ.

As for whether they should be female, that depends on the style of the gameplay, Bayonetta is all about killing things in the most flashy way possible and looking sexy while doing it, so naturally a cheeky female supermodel whose attacks often look like dance moves is a perfect fit. A female protagonist would not work in something like MGS3 because the gameplay is all about being a badass manly commando surviving innawoods getting dirty, operating, and eating bugs which is not something anyone would associate with feminine traits.

I don't think there should be more female protagonists in games for the sake of having a female protagonist.
That's stupid and shoehorning something that doesn't need to happen.

If it fits the game or story better than a male protagonist, however, yes.

PLUS ASS IS FANTASTIC

You're either ass autist or a 4cuck summerfag. Either way, you should piss right the fuck off out of here with your shitty template thread.

No. Women don't play video games, so it makes more sense for most characters to be male.

And having a bunch of women in male roles just looks dumb. Women are not men.

Having the option to play as both is always better, though. It's especially good if the game changes depending on your choice.

The avatar I control in a game is so meaningless that I really can't say if there should be more females or not. The only bearing a character's gender has is on story, and even then it's sometimes interchangeable. And story is only remotely important in JRPGs and VNs. As long as it's not some rainbow-haired tumblrite screaming about oppression, I don't give a fuck if the character I'm commanding has tits or not. I'm more concerned with the cool shit the game's mechanics let me pull off and mastering the challenges it presents.

Let's review.

Fuck this game. This game pisses me off, and I didn't even play it.

I don't care who your characters are. If they ever say "amazeballs" you need to rethink what the fuck you're doing writing anything, and then take a bullet to your temple.

That's pretty retarded, you can absolutely have a good female character that actually has feminine traits. Are mother characters not good female characters? How about a seductress type of character? Don't start with an androgynous character, start with what role they need to fulfill, find out what their goals would be, then shape the character around the way that you think they would accomplish those goals.

Example: you need a character that protects another one you've made. Their main goal would be the wellbeing of the other character, and you decide that their other goals are seeking companionship, and seeking revenge on the antagonist. Now you can make the actual character, and you decide that they are the mother of the one they protect and her husband was murdered by the antagonist some time ago, so she seeks a new husband to fill the void but is apprehensive towards dating not only because she still misses her husband, but also because the antagonist was a man that she had cheated with and he murdered her husband and tried to blame it on someone else so that he could get closer to her, but she found out and feels awful about what she has done. At the end she kills the antagonist and starts to accept that she made a mistake cheating on her husband, but she will leave it in the past and stop dwelling on it so that she can move on and find a new man to love.

Now you've got a believable character with an arc, established relationships, and some important flaws, all of which would be closely tied in with the central story which is what you'd want from a protagonist.

I like this game but these characters both look retarded and are completely devoid of personality.

In fairness, Aya and Saki have more than that game to their name and Kagura and Saaya got more fleshing in the previous title.

But who plays Onechanbara for the deep characters or story? The game never even explains (in-game) why blood fucks your weapons up or makes the girls go crazy. As far as gameplay is concerned it just does to work with it.

I'm not saying the game is bad for the lack of well made characters, but it could certainly benefit from better ones. The easy example here is Bayonetta, there you've got an interesting character with a well made visual style that matches the style of gameplay super well, and people like the character so much that she got into smash bros. She's probably the most iconic character made in the past decade, and Oneech could certainly have benefitted from trying to make similarly interesting characters (probably would have helped the sales a lot too). And they can still be sexy and wear skimpy clothes, it's just that those clothes need a simplified color scheme (Kagura is the primary offender here) and visual style, like going full on with the cowboy OR ninja OR stripper aesthetic, not all 3 at once (and no generic schoolgirl outfits those are way too overdone and boring).

if you can overlook some of the cringy shit they say then it's actually pretty good, not better than Telltales good but good non the less

Bayo isn't even completely shallow, though. There's depths to it, particularly with Bayonetta riding between the line of 'strong, mature woman' and 'scared little girl.' It doesn't hold your hand with the story but there is stuff to think about. Bayonetta doesn't keep her bright, sexual persona the entire time. When she faces her father she starts stumbling and looks noticeably scared, like she's that little girl Cereza again.
It's good because not only can you look at it in the most shallow of ways and still have fun, but there is depth to it, it just doesn't shove it down your throat by going 'LOOK, LOOK HOW DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THIS STORY IS!!'

How is a game that has no gameplay and only writing/cutscenes good if the writing is cringy? It doesn't look super great too, so I don't understand what exactly it has going for it.

Only if they they made it so I can see the main character's bazookas from her PoV.

the events, storylines and plot twists are pretty good, the ability to reverse time to manipulate people and objects is pretty unique and cool and you get to see what repercussions your actions have when go back in time. but yeah outside of that it's pretty slow paced like a point and click detective game with cringy "hey look i understand teenage girls" lines every now and then

I second this

Like I just said: Aya and Saki are established characters. "People like the character[s] so much" that they have multiple games across multiple generations and consoles to their name. One of which is called "Bikini Samurai Squad" and another "Bikini Zombie Slayers". That they dress so audaciously IS iconic in its own right. I mean, Kagura and Saaya are almost clones of Aya and Saki made for the previous title because what would an Onechanbara game be without that aesthetic?

Now could these games have benefited from having more exposition/exploration of the girls' personalities? Yeah, probably. But if I had to choose I'd rather the game be camp, fun and entertaining first. But thats hardly to say they are utterly devoid of character.

Aya is an elite assassin with demon blood with a quirky dress sense and no nonsense attitude, Saki is essentially the daughter of a human/demon mafia with some sis-con affection unto Aya, Kagura a care-free half-vamp out for revenge and Saaya the half-sister to Kagura who, despite little reason, cares deeply for and wishes to protect her.

The reason Aya stuck to her more scantily clad attire was that it helped her. Zombie blood basically activates her powers, hence exposing her skin let her utilise that more often. Kagura dresses in a similar manner to mess with Aya because thats the kind of girl she is (and it also has a similar affect on her). Saaya and Saki both have a more full-blooded heritage which I gather leads to diminishing returns on exposing more skin, not least their personalities seem to point to the idea that they would rather not either way.

Could these elements be made more pronounced in game? Yeah.

Do they need to be? Not really. You can piece all this together if youre interested but its hardly required reading.

The two Kagura games were a huge step up gameplay-wise from the rest of the series so I'd much rather they tighten what we got, particularly surrounding boss fights, before they look to fluff that is already sufficiently outlined in the gallery profiles.

That said, we'd need a good story for the girls to be in. The last two games have just been "beat the bad guy" which Im pretty okay with, but it leaves little wiggle room to explore convictions and whatnot, especially when all four characters are in it for the same reason and the only reason for them to butt heads is comic relief.

Only if they have feminine faces and haircuts, light skin and huge jiggly tits.

I'm sick of the flood of pedo-bait female protagonists with dark skin and tiny tits. It's why Remember Me flopped so hard. Why would I want to play as a flat French nigger?

I don't think we should have women characters simply to fill some quota or to appeal to some demographic. I think we should focus on well written scenarios, and then mold specific characters around the scenario. From there you can incorporate specific gender or racial traits into the characters that would affect their behavior or way of thinking. However, traits like gender, physical size, race, economic status, and other such real world elements should be utilized within a specific context.

In other words, if you're writing a story about pirates who travel to an uncharted island, and you want your story to be historically accurate and grounded in reality, and also contain mysticism or supernatural elements, then you're going to have to walk a very narrow line between what you want to convey and what is factual, and that might mean that some characters - women, people of specific races, and homosexuals, etc - would be treated worse than others, given the historical relevancy, and that supernatural elements that would require the suspension of disbelief must either be separate from facts or carefully considered and explained, if you hope to preserve the integrity of the historical accuracy you're trying to convey.

This is something Ubisoft has trouble with in regard to Assassin's Creed.

I also don't think an established character's sexual identity, gender, or race should be changed simply to appeal to special interests. Fuck them, create new characters or at least provide some well thought out series of reasons or narrative beats that explain why the changes have taken place and how these changes are meant to affect the overall story. Thor is a woman now? The Flash is black? Link is a woman? Why? "LOL BECUZ GURRL POWER xD." How disgusting. You'd forego an interesting scenario and a series of events that could tie into any relevant changes in order to pander to people? "This is business, after all." Yeah, well fuck you.

As long as they are agenda free.

In fact I like playing as a female, it mildy turns me on

Dont judge, its 2016, dont judge, it doesnt affect you

Now I'm definitely bullying you.

Oni was a fantastic game but jesus that was lame.

Oh, you mean the events that make no sense, the plot that makes no sense, the twists you can see coming from a mile away? Yeah, great plot. That's to say nothing regarding the horrible dialogue and shit delivery of literally every single VA in the game.

Prince of Persia did it first and actually managed to apply it to actual gameplay.

So that's pretty much everything regarding the gameplay tossed out the window, since everything only has one solution the ability to reverse time is moot since it's literally just a button you use to solve puzzles.

When a game is built solely around it's character interaction, dialogue, and plot, yet manages to stumble on every single front what do you have? A fucking piece of shit, that's what.

At least Telltale manages to produce games with dialogue that doesn't make me want to kill myself and can occasionally produce a likable character.

No? Game devs should make the games that they want to.

I know that in the US you basically have to include a nigger in a game or movie and I hate that kind of "affirmative action".

IDGAF personally I'll play as anything if the game is good and if it is the vision of the game dev.

There is no female character more well-written than The Boss. Any other female character pales in comparison and she is as believable and likable as any male character. And she's the "villain."

This is top-of-the-line if we're talking about characters we can take seriously.

Playing as a female Jedi in the KOTOR games makes me rock hard. The models themselves are fucking horrible but you can be such a sadistic psycopath that I can't help but get turned on by my character.

No, it will only attract more social justice wankers to vidya.

I don't play games where I'm forced to play as womyn.

Sounds cool! Gotta buy that!

Ignored forever.

Fuck stronk womym and fuck weebs who can't think of anything else but muh dick.

Which is unfortunately the main source of fodder for feminists, as they can easily spin this through clever mental gymnastic tricks as an example of societal sexism.

She fought for her country, an artificial, socially created barrier designed to keep people "safe". She did everything wrong.

Pic related is far superior. Toriel is also a motherly figure, teaches you how to defend yourself while not harming others (for a peaceful society) and tries to stop you from leaving the ruins to go on to a very unforgiving reality. She did this to protect you, herself, and her friends. The barrier kept monsters in, but if they got out, they'd all be killed in an instant. She didn't do it for herself. She did it for her race.

I need to play this game.

Almost all of those are from japanese games, they don't count.

You actually made me reply. Good job.

They made a game realistically depicting high school girls. They succeeded, but no one wants to play as high school girls.

Ya you're right she is a great female character cause she's an idiot.

They're good games, user.

You can extort this guy for everything he's got, by continuously intimidating and demanding shit from him for a solid minute. At the end, when you've broken him, he begs you to leave him alone, at which point you have 2 dialog options left.
1)Bye!
2)You die anyway.

A character shouldn't be measured my how right or how wrong she is but rather what she believes in and how she does it. She's a well-written character for what she is, I'm not trying to debate if her reasons were sound or not. We got to see someone as they were; with her own convictions and beliefs and what she did to achieve them. Sacrificing herself in body, mind and soul to a country she loved took true grit. A very solid, if tragic, character.

Give the character some personality. I have a feeling most people pushing for strong female characters want them to be faceless, grumpy mary sues, and that's boring. Bayonetta is a good example, because she's so over the top and silly that you can't help but smile.

pic related would like to have a word with you

I want more female protagonists, because that means more porn ;^3

No, and I don't think there should be less either.

I want the exact amount of protagonists of any kind to be equivalent to what game creators envision in their creative exercises, because gender quotas are just socially-accepted sexism, and changing characteristics of game characters away from how they were envisioned to appeal to a certain demographic is pandering.