An A press actually has three parts to it

Alright then you turbo autist, explain to me why you fucking care about counting your fucking A presses if you're only ever achieving anything in the game through what is always effectively going to be "half an A press", regardless of whether or not you release the god damned button?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Attack_Decay_Sustain_Release_.28ADSR.29_envelope
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's another form of speedrunning, but instead of how much time it takes you to complete the course, this is about how many A presses(jumps) it takes you to complete a platforming level.

I don't, take it the modern speedrunning "community" which is all about REACTIONS and #TRANSACCEPTANCE

Yeah, I understand that. However, he explicitly says that there are only two useful portions of an A press: the pressing, which makes Mario jump, and the holding, which allows Mario to swim and to fall lightly. The release is never important, so it doesn't fucking count. The point is, even if you don't release the button, you're still making full use of the button's functionality, so why is it worth counting? Maybe it could be a useful technique you could employ during a speedrun, but on its own it's just bullshit,

damn this is some next level autism

TJ "Henry" Yoshi, i know you're pissed that the greatest SM64 player has told your ass because it was too stupid to know what a half-A press is, but you don't need to go this far and try to justify in an angry manner that pannenkoek's wrong and you're right.

Please, stop, for your own good.

No you fucking insufferable idiot.

The release is never important, so there are TWO relevant parts of an A press, making an event where only one of those parts is useful a half A press instead of a one-third A press.

There are TWO relevant parts to an A press, so one full A press is TWO relevant parts. Only using one of those is half of an A.

Considering that is impossible to press a button without holding it and holding a button without pressing it, whoever made that video is simply retarded.

Okay.
Okay.

So you press it once, hold it, and then never let go. Boom; you’re done. And so is your run.

Considering that is impossible to press a button without holding it and holding a button without pressing it, whoever made that video is simply retarded.

So this is pointless semantics then? Fine, there's probably a lot worse autism out there than this. Even so, you still have not explained shit. Why is it important? Why do people care? Even if you're only using 1/3 of the god damn button, YOU'RE STILL MAKING USE OF THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE BUTTON YOU FUCKING DIPSHITS.

The important part isn't that he doesn't have to use the release state; it's that he doesn't have to use the pressed state. So, in the context of a full run of the game, it's only the actual entering of the stage that adds a button press, and he never has to push the button inside the stage since it's already held. But if he's just running the stage, he has to press it once to get to the held state. The strat impacts the button press count differently depending on what kind of run it's used in, thus half press.

Of course a button press has 3 parts to it. These are there very distinct states that a programmer can care about.

t. /agdg/

Fuck off TJ "Henry" Yoshi, if that is your real name.

Speedrunning in a nutshell. As we should all well know by now, all the categories are arbitrary.

No you negrus. It isn't arbitrary at all.

This matters because in a full game run, it is only one A press, while in a single level run it is an A press. If you were to take all of the individual levels and put them together, you would have MORE A PRESSES than if you did a full game run.

Representing this phenomenon, and preventing confusion, we have the half A press. If you count all half A presses as proper halves, then when adding all individual levels together, you get the appropriate amount of A presses.

TAS: More speedrunning, none of the drama.

Take this shit back to halfchan.

Because some people have fun in a different way than other people.

>"releasing A" isn't an entirely separate action, but rather included in "pressing A" because autism
Is it vaccinations or having children at a later age that's causing this?

Well seeing that speedrunning can turn you into a trans, I wouldn't expect people doing it to be that mentally stable.

"Fun", there is that word again.

What? Games are literally made to be fun. If you are playing a game and you are not having fun with it, would you not want to refund it?

I want you to step back and reflect on exactly what you just said there.

why

How does it feel to be so BTFO, Henrycucks?

Speedrunning is so fucking stupid, jesus christ

There's that meme again. :^)

fuck off with this meme already
it was never funny

I literally just noticed that someone recorded that webm off youtube.
What the fuck?! Who does that? Just download the video through a program of savideo, and cut the part you want out of it.
Hell, there even is an entire webm version of the video.
Sage because I was too stupid to see that the first time.

Do you expect him to have a huge postcount on this shit thread to be taken seriously or something, autismlord?

Another stupid meme

check my dubs instead

holding A changes Mario's moveset, mainly the jumpkick that can be used as a replacement for a standard jump without releasing A.

as for why, why do anything? He and others enjoy it, he's not harming anyone, what's got you so bothered Henry?

I actually solved this shit myself, I think I have the notes here for it somewhere. Lemme dig, but the summary was something like there's actually two states to the actual press, because if all it actually reads is being held, then A pressing only has two actual states: Pressing it and releasing it.

I mean it's basic fucking circuitry anyways – it's a matter of 1 and 0, not 1, 2, and 0 or some gay shit like that.

How hard is this to comprehend? I mean it's gotta be pretty embarrassing to you if you don't comprehend something you call "autistic".

You have to produce them first.

I like your attention to detail user.

If you never release A, then you would never be able to press it again.

Thanks for the shit thread OP, now I have reason to post this image.

Lol, nice image.

When you do a level in 5.5 A presses it means that in a full run it would only take 5, as you were holding the A button down before you entered the level. A press runs for individual levels are just people figuring out how to cut down on A presses for a complete run.

The "half" is just an abstract representation of that. It shouldn't be this hard to comprehend, even Henry figured it out.

What if you were still holding A when you finished the level?

That should count as a half press.

And if so, you could cut a whole press out by holding when you started and when you finished.

You're forgetting that releasing the A button causes Mario to fall sooner than what a half A press would allow.

Half A Press Runs have an extra restriction that one A Press Runs do not, justifying its existence.

In Super Mario 64 releasing the A button is only useful for pressing A once more, so finishing a level with the A button held down does not count as a half press, and therefore there is no issue.

Has it never crossed you idiots' minds that that's not the spirit of what he's saying?

Of course releasing the A button is important because when you tap the A button: you only do a small hop but holding it down gives you a longer jump and you can press, hold, and release it for variable lengths. It's also in the 2D mario games. I swear you people are the real autists.

I would argue it only has 2 parts, a press and a release.

at least that means that it can actually be divided by 2 to give half a press

Lol this pleb doesn't know he's really talking about negative edge.

it has 3 parts, press hold and release, but release doesn't do anything an therefore it doesn't count for the purposes of a full game run

Reminder that as of now, all you need to beat the game without 100% is one A press.

No, you aren't.

Negative edge is the exact opposite of what he's talking about, dumbshit.

If you don't know this already, you didn't pay enough attention.

But at what point does releasing the A button not diminish your airtime anymore?

I mean, how long into the jump does releasing the A button make no difference in airtime anymore?

Will someone ever figure out how to get through Bowser in the Fire Sea with no presses?

PARALLEL
A
R
A
L
L
E
L

UNIVERSES
N
I
V
E
R
S
E
S

Releasing actually does do something, certain moves can't be done without releasing. If you look at the document he has of how many A presses are needed for each level you'll see something called a terminating A press, which requires that the button be released.

Did you mean to reply to me?

The whole point of an A press run, to do a run with the least amount of A presses possible.

If you release A, you're only going to have to press it again later.

If you still don't understand:
A run of 2 A presses in 6 minutes is better than an a run of 3 A presses in 1 minute.

His mistake is that he counts holding the button as a part at all. Realistically a button press has two parts: the transition to an on state and the transition to an off state. This changing from off to on then on to off is what makes up a button press and is what the game is checking for.

His explanation would have been much simpler if he thought of it in those terms.

In the meantime the graveyard of strats Tick Tock Clock is as tricky as ever.

Why TJ henry comment got so many attention and not the others?

Also Big Boo's haunt has been practically reduced to 0 a presses with Jolly Roger Bay's 100 coin and Red Coin now being 0 as well. Good Progress though.

HALF AN A PRESS IS STILL AN A PRESS

YOU CAN'T SAY IT'S ONLY HALF

What if I told you two half a presses don't necessarily equal a whole a press?

Making up your own metrics is bullshit.

If he wanted to say while never letting go A, thats fine. He makes up his own measurements. I'll even say that starting the level with the button held down is somewhat debatable, but he still is taking the "benefits" of the press and hold. So even if he didn't initiate during the stage, he still initiated it FOR the stage. I'm sure speed runners would cry foul if you did a prep trick when starting a level and started the clock once the level loaded since you did inputs before it. If they gave a shit enough. They might.

He argues that it matters in the context of a full runthrough because you can keep A held from your last useful input where it didn't need to be released. That's why he lists it as "1.5 A presses in this level" because over an entire run the number of A presses will be a whole number.

If he entered a level, pressed and held A to get a star, kept A held to get a different star and finally released that would be 1 full A press for 2 stars. Hence each of those stars separately took 1/2 of an A press.

It's as simple as that. I wonder why some people just can't understand this.

It's like this nigger has never heard of analog buttons

Because it was shown in the video.

Iffy, since that changes another variable in this proof.

The actions for the second star would have to be the same or less then the first star. Which means if you played that second level by itself, you would have a full press anyway.

That also means if you where to play 10 .5 press levels back to back, and you never had to let go, then you only ever did a "half press", but if you where to do each of these levels individually, you would need to initiate it for each run for each level.

So where would you start "counting" in that example? You would make it up obviously.

If he can, he can do all the stages that need half presses in a row and save a bunch of them.
He states it in the video itself: for playing a single level, it counts as one press.
A level is categorised as "only need a half press" because the level does not need the full press and can take the press from another one.
When the goal is to play the entire game with the fewest possible A presses, then it doesn't count as one press. He starts "counting" the presses he can skip by using a single press when he manages to keep them from level to level,

Depends on the game. In a game where you can hold the jump button before the level starts and release it triggering a jump… that would be both a half press and a negative edge. Negative edge as a term predates "half button press."

Releasing the A button doesn't trigger a jump though. The "A" value resets when changing worlds.

Yes, that would be true. However, it's totally irrelevant because there is no negative edge in this context. You don't use the term negative edge to describe something that isn't negative edge.

If there are three parts to an A press, and he pressed it, holds it down, but doesn't release it, isn't he technically doing 2/3rds of an A press, not half?

""""""""""""""""henry"""""""""""" pls

So why's it spelled Berenstain and not Berestein? To answer this, we need to talk about parallel universes

Not sure what's more autistic, the guy aiming for a "no a-press" run, or the guy trying to argue against his semantics.

ah but can you look at a pokemon's stats over and over for 500 days?

It's just the simple name he came up with, it could be "Partial A Press" or "Carried Over A Press" or whatever.

Release actually does something for games with charged attacks.

He's using the Held state of a previous A press to do another, unrelated action, which by the time of the release would be one press, two holds, one release, therefore 1/2 A-Presses.

His video his rules, and thats more then acceptable. His .5 a press is slang he created for his videos for his self imposed challenges.
If its a speed run of the entire game, then I accept "share effort and press or lack there of between levels" as valid.
However, in a single level speed run, you can't make a "before entering level" prep time. That would most defiantly count as added time, and would also imply added A presses.
True
Also true.

Starting to get a bit off topic. So resource management aside, the problem is that he is getting the benefit of pressing and holding A. Which gives him slowing fall decent and micro kick jumps. He could not have gotten these functions with the "pressing of A". They are packaged together. If the slow decent was say, mapped to another button on the controller, and you pressed and held it there, you would count that as a single press. Him saying half a press, would be like, and technically is like, saying he did half a jump because his jump didn't land. While in this case he is saying not releasing the A button means the A button count does not increase or increases by half in this case.

If you where playing through Mega Man X, and for some strange reason while charging a shot, it also makes X jump higher and run faster, and lets assume the level can be beaten without destroying any enemies, just get to the end. Would you count holding the charge button as a button press? Would you count it as a "no shots fired" run?

At that point you would just make your own rules. I would rule, Yea, you did not fire any shots, but you did press the shoot button at least once. If your hands interacted with the controller, or in this case, his tool assisted run set inputted a command to press and hold the A button. In order to get the secondary effects of the Held Down part, he needed to initiate.

There's only 2 parts to an A press, because buttons are binary input devices.
When you press the button, it completes a circuit and sends out a signal, which stops being sent out when you release the button and it springs back to its original position, breaking the circuit.
The confusion comes from the fact that the switch from A button off-state to on-state is what causes jumping, but functions such as gliding are also governed by the on-state of the A button.

This thread is proof that Reddit and halfchan are here to stay. I will allow it if they learn to behave themselves.

The "half press" is just a way to describe how the level is beaten, it needs an "A press" but not a full press, just part of a previous one.
I he clears the whole game starting the press in a stage and clearing the whole rest of the game with the half press, it's a game cleared with one press total.
If he clears the game by clearing two stages with a press in each, but don't release the
A button on the second one, then beat the rest of the game with a half press, the game is cleared with two A presses total.
He cannot beat the whole game with a half press, once it's pressed it counts, but by carrying the press to another stage you clear two stages counting it only once.

The hipotetic megaman speedrun you described had one single shot total.

Say he released the Rolling Rocks video with a title "0x A Press"
That wouldn't be true, because you need A to be held down to get that extra height from the scuttlebug jump at the end
So he releases it with the title "1x A press"
That's not true, either, because when you press A, mario jumps, and he never jumps in the run

Since he's using the A press to jump in one level, and the A press to be held in another level, there's no possible way he can express the fact that he's utilizing the same A press in 2 different videos. This whole series is in context of a full run of the game, where the levels are not played in isolation like they seem to be in the videos.

Is that some kind of shitty Chinese knockoff? Why did they spell the name with an 'a'?

a simpler way to view it is like this:
it adds 0 A presses to a full game run but requires that A be pressed at some point so it's called a half A press for convenience

It's useful because right now there is no full run of this challenge. But I really want to see SDA host a completed run.

Didn't the PS2 have pressure sensitive buttons, which could change function depending on whether you released it quickly or eased up off the button slowly?

No shit you faggot, this is a fucking half/v/ meme

Not arbitrary as much as different games demand different categories or different interpretations to be enjoyable to speedrun. Take Pokemon for example. 100% means something different compared to most games (just catch 'em all, not collect every item) and the any% run is basically pointless, you need to have additional restrictions.

The challenge is to beat the level in as few A-presses as possible, that's the point. Since the guy did it as a TAS there's not much gaymen skill involved so it's more like a puzzle.

So which QPU are we in?

One where TTC is so close yet so far.

to be more technical OP this explains more

Is this a speedrun tutorial or some shit? I don't think wasting 12 hours on gaining speed was a speedrun.

Its just autism, isn't it?

Nah, its manipulating the programing in the game to clip through walls by moving at sufficient velocity. Rather simple really.

He's conserving A presses so the rest of us don't run out

ideally he's trying to get to a 0 a-press run
it's like doing a no upgrades challenge run in a mega man game, but with concentrated autism

Instead of this, he just could play other platform video games.

Hey I've wondered this for a while, but can anyone tell me what the autism accent is called?

They all have similar sounding voices, where they kinda slur their words and don't fully pronounce things. It's most noticeable on Ws and Ls.

Like this dude clearly has autism, just from the way he speaks, but what is the "accent" called?

Well there is a community for this challenge. And who else would document how sleeping works in Super Mario 64?

Monotone, Nerd.

He's not even playing it, its tool assisted. The fun for him probably comes from thinking up new ways to exploit the programming to achieve less a presses

So wait, what the fuck is this thread about?

He's clearly in the wrong because of
right?

What am I even supposed to understand, how is this even a discussion? Why is this so damn funny.

First it started with collecting the max number of coins, then collecting the impossible coin, then the ABC and joystickless challenge. Being able to make a name for yourself is pretty rewarding especially with one of the first 3d games.

you can do stuff while a is held down that you can't when it's not
so
- press A during stage and continue holding, there is no way around pressing A here
- exit stage, enter another stage without releasing A
-having A pressed allows you do extra actions and clear the stage. If A was not held down, the stage could not be cleared, but it is possible to clear the stage without the use of the depress action
-Two A presses have now become one, because you did not release initially and did not make an unnecessary press in the second stage

Fuck off gook.

how new are you

ITT : turbo autists buttblasted than another autist is having fun.

ITT: Ultra Mega Autists mad that turbo autists are buttblasted that other autistis are having fun

ITT:People are mad about a guy whose user name is a dutch pancake.

ITT Autism is the new version of retard

Some of the games in the Dead or Alive series (iirc DoA3 for CERTAIN) use a pseudo-pressure-sensitive button mapping so that longpressing attack buttons gets you a stronger attack.

Platformers where you have a lot of control over your jump height also have a button held to jump height ratio that's worth watching if you give a shit.

Releasing is useful because it allows you to stop swimming/gliding

plebs

One of the modern mysteries is who's more autistic:
The "Half A press"-camp, or the people endlessly being angry about it.

Is there any game that utilize half presses ?

tj "henry" yoshi is really depressing and naive

self counter sage

What exactly would the decay be within a button press? I can see the Attack and Sustain, but I'm not seeing decay.

dying

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer#Attack_Decay_Sustain_Release_.28ADSR.29_envelope
That's for key presses in musical synthesizers, not for video game controller button presses.

Pannenkoek recently started doing this, I wonder if he stole the idea.

You are thinking about it in polling terms and not in trigger terms like most game engines do. Read about hardware interrupts.

Basically, there is an A PRESS TRIGGER, which sets Mario's state to JUMPING_1, then the next game loop reads this and makes Mario start jumping with the level 1 jump. If the game doesn't receive an A RELEASE TRIGGER, the button will be "held" by the engine, and the jumping state will cycle between JUMPING_1 and JUMPING_3 until it receives it. On an A RELEASE TRIGGER, Mario's state will be changed to IDLE.

There are three parts here, A PRESS TRIGGER, RAM state holding and A RELEASE TRIGGER.

This is Game Engine Devving 101, come the fuck on.

That's fucking wrong, a press is the application of pressure, holding and releasing are not pressing.

But that's wrong and you're a nigger

I actually really wanna argue about this like an autist because it's fun to sperg out but fuck i'm tired

yes, but what about ANALOG BUTTONS

In theory, they'd have an infinite number of states since analog buttons don't need to be pressed or released fully to perform an action.
For example, in an average racing game it's possible beat the entire game with a single 'gas' button press, but you would still have to slightly press or release the button to change velocity when necessary.

Polite sage because of my late reply.

Some people should be made to take on refugees

This guy would lose his shit at MGS3