This was pretty cool. Games should have more cutscenes like this...

this was pretty cool. Games should have more cutscenes like this. It's also funny looking at how they did some of these things in-engine, like the inside of the covenant ship the big energy pillar is obviously a flat animated sprite.

What are some of your favorite game cutscenes? rip them from youtube and post them here. I suggest jdownloader if you want to share easily.

in a fucked up way i am really starting to miss cutscenes as a means for exposition

a big factor is that i can skip cutscenes after i've seen them already or if they fucking suck. can't do that in the new cinematic realm of games where all that has been replaced by in-game exposition which is consistently terrible and just pads out the game

I don't think we need them for exposition. Sometimes it's just fun to get them after a challenging game play section as a bit of payoff, like the one in the OP, it comes after a very difficult fight where the game is in a tense point in the story where the entire space station your on is about to be destroyed.

It's like a point to let out a sigh of relief and see something really awesome. It's satisfying. When you look at the cutscene too, it's hard to imagine a way it would make good game play with the games actual mechanics, so it's not like you're missing out or anything like some cutscenes feel like.

This cutscene from Thief actually has a ton of exposition and character details in the imagery. It's not immediately obvious, but looking at it can tell you quite a lot about the characters your dealing with, even on a surface level. Plus in retrospect after beating Thief you get a really good grasp on what's going on here.

What happened to this Cortana, the new one is shit.

I don't know, I never played anything past 2 except for ODST, which was amazing. Post some of your favorite cutscenes nigga

What I never got about the Halo series was the absolutely abysmal names of some of the UNSC ships (for instance In Amber Clad).

It was so over the top but i loved every single second of it.

fantastic

Definitely one of my favorites. The other being when Asura and Augus are in the hot springs and then they fight afterwards.

To this day I am stunned that Halo 2 even works at all.

The thing I really did enjoy most about Halo was the "climactic" feel of some of the cutscenes, especially in the third one. The way they shifted to pretty much pure orchestra and throughout the game the soundtrack got more complex, literally building to the finale where you're driving from the exploding Halo and it just pulls out all stops music-wise. It really was great.

Anyway, this may not be a "cutscene," but the first thing that would generally come to mind if someone were to ask me. Just the craziest shit, punctuated by "our beloved monsters, enjoy yourselves." definitely check the first part of the codec out since I can't embed more than this video.

It's surprisingly good too. It's interesting how they managed to tackle the issues with the repetition the first one suffered from, by still using repetitive geometry but highly varied encounters.

The abrupt ending definitely makes it feel rushed, however.

Fun fact: Originally a level was supposed to be after Cairo, called 'Covenant Ship' which would be Miranda Keyes real sorta introduction, you'd board the covenant ship and steal a wratih and shell the power core

IIRC Joe Staten of Bungie stated they cut like 5 whole levels off the tail end of H2

What's crazy is, as time goes on, this just gets even more prophetic and spooky

Is this supposed to be some kind of joke? If he loses he'll be fucking dead.

Huh, any idea what they were going to be?

Are you talking about Halo or MGS2?

The first half of Halo 3 pretty much.

what game?

MGS2

That is pretty interesting, I thought Halo 2 was a pretty good game to begin with, certainly one of the better singleplayer campaigns in the series, but to think of all the cool stuff that got left on the cutting room floor.

I guess that's why I appreciate it when devs re-introduce cut content into later releases and stuff like that. 2006 era valve was pretty good at it.

They never said, but Halo 2's development is described by Bungie as "landing a plane in a 45 degree power dive while it's on fire"

Huh. I've spent more time in that game than most and I never noticed that.

lost planet 2.