ITT: Best games in their respective genres

ITT: Best games in their respective genres.

Well. It's not that big of a surprise that Eternal Darkness for Gamecube is the best in its series after the one for Nintendo 64 was cancelled.

It's a shame F-Zero has such a massive number of unlockables, even the story chapters need to be bought with points
Listen user. I know a lot of people love this game, but that just isn't true

sm64ds is better :^)

What do you think the best 3D platformer is?

Maybe not best RTS, but definitely best Old school RTS.

The only one of those that isn't controversial as fuck is Thief 2.

I missed a lot of 3d platformers back in my day, still have not caught up. But I can say that banjo-kazooie is definitely a better made and much more fun 3d platformer than sm64. Sm64 has it's moments, but it is too bare bones to truly shine. Considering it's number of worlds though, it would be much better if released today. SM64 really lacked the polish a game like it should have had

Others were nearly as good. But definitely not better.

I could never get through banjo-kazooie personally. Despite a ton of people claiming it's the best, it just wasn't fun for me. I was able to get through mario64 easily though. I guess it was a combination of faster gameplay, comfy music, a seriously surreal/dream-like feeling setting, and a fuckton of nastolgia. Although I have nastolgia for b-k to

To be fair there aren't a lot of decent movie games though.

Clicker Heroes comes in a close second.

Super Mario 64 was surpassed by Galaxy, although the games are different enough that they can fit into their own little niches.

I liked Eternal Darkness but I'd honestly barely call it a horror if that's what you're implying.

That mansion spooked the fuck out of me. It's just empty and playing this really really creepy atmospheric music making you think something is going to fuck you up at any moment.

Actually fuck it I forgot, the best 3d platformer I ever played. And recently replayed, along with SM64 and Banjo-kazooie was the second crash bandicoot. Although it did not fully abandon the side-scrolling, it has the best overall quality of any of those games

I never felt this looming feeling of dread that I normally get from horror games, this worsened as the game went on because you would continuously grow more and more powerful. The mansion was scary but even that would lessen as you grew more powerful. The Sanity effects were a great addition though and the game is still great I just don't think it does what it set out to do as well as it sells itself as doing.

fucking garbage

Well it's such a mixed bad it's kind of it's own genre and being the best in it's series it's best by default.

B-K is good, but I never thought of it on the same level as SM64. While it did improve on SM64 in some ways, the movement felt much more stiff and the levels, while much larger and more fleshed out, didn't feel quite as inspired or as smooth to explore. Also, I really liked how in SM64 most of the challenge came from how well you mastered the mechanics and abilities, rather than finding power ups which gave you new ones.

Yeah, it was the only horror game I've played so far that really scared me. Games like the early Silent Hill and Resident Evils were great, but didn't fill me with the same sense of panic and dread that Eternal Darkness did. I guess fear is a very subjective thing, though.

I actually don't think that game is as bad as most people on Holla Forums seem to. The combat wasn't very good, but the world, story, characters, and character building system were fun for what they were.

OP already posted Thief 2. Outside of the MSX games and MGS3, Metal Gear is really shallow when it comes to stealth.

I had completely forgotten how memorable the OST in that game is
Jack 3 is the best one.

2 is better thanks to a far more consistent soundtrack and not having weapons break on you

So good that Die Antwoord sampled this track for Happy Go Sucky Fucky