Is CHEW the only good book image comics ever produced? Or did chew just ended before it gotten bad?

Is CHEW the only good book image comics ever produced? Or did chew just ended before it gotten bad?

Attached: 858F2F1B-3F60-45C3-B5EA-FF115D195039.jpeg (766x510, 102.14K)

Savage dragon was good for a long while

I disliked the style, but the setting and plot were real nice.

The Maxx?

Chew's ending was shit.

The series was fun at first and I liked the concept a lot, though I stopped reading around the part where they revealed that Tony had a daughter. Felt like the comic was dragging on for too long without going anywhere while pulling shit out of a hat continuously.

I finished it. It gets worse. Much worse. Tony's daughter has basically the same power as him only 1000x better. The first time they show her using it, she gets information just by smelling something.
Also she ends up as this edgy cunt with every power ever after Savoy trains her and has her eat other ability users.
Tony's sister is a complete mary sue who gets her way the entire series. Even when she loses, she wins.
The humor was choke full of lol so random bullshit it was complete atrocious.
It's hinted from a long time that Tony's cop best friend dies as a result of his actions but when it happens, it turns out he dies because he's a complete retard. Also he was in a gay relationship with Tony's boss, who turned himself into a fat centaur.

Did the series end? there were storytellings in Holla Forums a few years ago.

It did. 60 issues IIRC

It completely lost the plot after Savoy went rogue for the second time.

Did it end well? don't know if the rest care about spoiler, but I don't.

No. Tony is forced to become a mass murder, using a bullshit combo cibopathy power to kill the millions of people who had the audacity to eat chicken within the last few months, including Colby, because otherwise alien space chickens would blow up the earth.

I just remember reading it out of spite past a point. It did not have a satisfying ending. Everything was lol so randumb and the characters were all unlikeable cunts in some way or another. Also, important character died in such a forced way it stopped being funny.
Tony's love interest? The one with the power to write food reviews so accurate the readers would have a real taste of the food she was writing about? She died after using her powers to write that chicken = death and everyone who ate it in the span of x hours would die (just like the premise). Using another ability, I don't remember who broadcasted that feeling all over the world.
Tony's best friend, the cyborg? He knew about the plan described above and still ate chicken because he's a retard
Savoy? He killed himself to force Tony to eat him.
Tony's sister? She predicted her own gruesome death and went along with it, cutting one of her fingers off at first so Tony could eat it.
It's as says. It was all done to start diplomatic relationship with those alien chickens. Only that Tony also ate the overpowered cock/rooster and still said 'fuck this shit' at the very end, sixty years later, going nuclear on the aliens emissaries. I don't remember if his daughter died or not.
That's how the story ends.

I knew it was going to shit when they introduced crazier food powers.
For fuck's sake, how much do you have to suck to fuck up the story of a detective who can get clues by eating corpses?

By power creeping everything to shit. The Vampire Savoy was chasing was just your regular Chuni. He had the exact same powers than Tony but cosplayed as a vampire. He was more powerful in a sense, after having 'absorbed' many other powers.
His daughter even had the 'make weapons out of chocolate' power at the end. She was literally wasting chocolate to make shurikens. That somehow were sharp enough to cut deep without breaking.

I just can't believe it ended with everyone being killed for eating chicken to make diplomatic relationships with space chickens or some shit.
That would be like if we declare war to some alien species because they eat some local species that looks like niggers.

And it's not like that either. Tony was so pissed off at that ending as well he went rip and tear on them in the final pannel. That overpowered rooster had some relation with them as well.

Earth chickens didn't coincidentally look like the aliens, they're very distantly related.
A lot of this is conjecture from stuff implied throughout the comic, but it seems the aliens imported chicken Cro-Magnons to Earth with the intent of letting them evolve and colonise the planet to join their empire once they'd become sufficiently advanced. Except they somehow regressed into animals and instead humans came onto the scene. The space chickens would still be willing to start diplomatic relations as long as humans wouldn't eat their lesser genetic cousins, which they tried to convey with the sky writing and the Gallsaberry (they may also have given humanity food-based powers to help them understand the message in the Gallsaberry).
It's likely that Earth wasn't a unique case and this was standard protocol for planets where other life developed, which is what the other planet segments were about. That planet met a bad end and its story was likely woven into the message as a warning to other planets where the same would happen.
It still doesn't make much sense that the space chickens would get genocidal over people eating their equivalent of monkeys, but eh, alien species, alien standards.

I didn't read anything from the big two in years because I wanted something different, but even independent comics let me down.

I'll never get any sequel to Witch Doctor or to Prophet.

The thing with independants is how the authors have little to no consistency with their own work. What starts as an interesting comic that catches your attention like Chew with wacky detective with food psychometry turns into a retarded fuckfest about everyone has food powers and chicken aliens lol. Poyo!!!111!! :DDDDD
It's unbearable. Or if they keep the consistency, the ending is garbage. I remember reading a comic, Sweet Tooth, it was alright. Nothing spectacular, the artstyle was kind of ugly, the characters bland, but it grew on you. The ending was… kind of decent all things considered. It could have been much much worse.

It's because far too many creators do not plan their stories out. It is especially bad with writers who used to work at big two.
I remember an interview with Layman, in which he said that Chew was originally supposed to be 40 issues long, but they decided to expand it after series sold well. Unfortunately, I can't find that interview right now; it is also possible that it was one of the notes in Omnivore Edition.

When an indie book is planned out it comes out well. Locke and Key was largely planned out before Hill started writing, and last minute additions were limited to minor things like Fear and Sadness getting their own mini-subplot. Overall, it it much more consistent and has a better ending than most indie books.

Attached: Clockworks02_001a.jpg (1280x1950, 1.32M)

I never finished it after reaching a certain issue (can't remember the number). It was basically a whole issue dedicated to saying 'Even if you're not racist, you're racist' while adding nothing to the plot.

Locke and Key also had a strict outline for how they were going to do the plot. They knew they were going to do 6 volumes, so there was less faffing about and wasting time on any minor distraction or fleeting idea they had.

It's not all great, and some issues are definitely bad, but the overall ride is really good and shows that comics can be more than just capeshit and indie stories about faggoty coffee houses and gay dating.

I guess I'll give it another oportunity if you vouch for it. I'm not really reading any comics at the moment, manga feel cliche and I generally dislike the way japanese authors structure their sentences in light/visual novels.
There was this other comic I never read but was interested in. I remember only details about the plot. It was some toys going through an epic journey of some sort. I could never find downloads for it and it wasn't from the big two. I have a feeling it wasn't IDW or Dark Horse either.

I enjoyed Luther Strode a lot, part 3 felt a bit rushed, but still a fairly satisfying enough ending.
Part 1 and 2 were very solid though.
Invincible was pretty decent from what I read, but I haven't read since issue 101, and apparently it kinda became a cluster fuck around that time and never really recovered.

Attached: 76d1088e50dd00631b5e5dc829195714cc00e0be15a9002274a49737f10895ac.jpg (1920x2951, 1.32M)

I remembered the title: The Stuff of Legends. It's from some published by Th3rd World Studios. I'd be very grateful if someone provided a download for it. The summary is as follows:

The story takes place in 1944 Brooklyn. A band of toys goes on a journey into the Dark realm to rescue a young boy, who is their owner, from the infamous Bogeyman. In the Dark Realm, which is inside the boy's closet, they change. They become life sized, with functional weapons and, in the teddy bear's case, teeth. As they venture into the Dark, they battle the Bogeyman's forces, composed mostly of bitter, lost toys, fallen under the fearful powers of their Dark master.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 276.78K)

lol no. That shit was cool when I was like, 15. I reread it a few years ago and it's shit.

No way. Paper Girls started off great, but I haven't read an issue in a while. Scales and Scoundrels is good. I loved Peter Panzerfaust. The 1963 miniseries is a ton of fun. Image has done all kinds of cool stuff. ALMOST enough to forgive them for some of the transgressions of the 90's.

Does /fit/ know about this?

Attached: 53b9ff520949fc0cbc4d798b85ef61c73dfab2b6561c4fe0bab91612ad7c3ba3.jpg (415x453, 25.2K)

I remember when some user storytimed the entire Luther Strode series. It was a fun time.. The later half of the series is almost too different from the first half, and it's a little hard to enjoy it the same. I want to say they even change artists, which doesn't help the tonal shift where Luther just kind of becomes Jesus, not literally, but he just kind of switches gears into having superhuman morality, if I recall everything correctly. He just becomes too good of a guy for the bad guys to beat him. It's weird.

>Part 1: bait and switch from superhero origin to horror story
>Part 2: action horror story about pulling Luther back from the dark side
>Part 3: story about Luther having reformed into a true hero and searching for the source of evil
There is indeed a drastic tonal shift after Part 2, but I think it's fitting considering the way they took with Luther's character development.

Tradd Moore drew all three volumes, but there were few years between volume 2 and 3. Moore's style changed over time, so first two volumes have sharp and angular art, while last one has a lot of wavy and soft edges.

>I'll never get any sequel to Witch Doctor or to Prophet.
It's probably for the best this way. Both series ended before they had chance to become bad.

Attached: Luther Strode vol2pg.jpg (1988x3056 2.07 MB, 1.63M)

It's been so long since I read it, that it's hard for me to give a honest opinion, but I don't think it was completely out of place, but there is a tonal shift and that's a thing to keep in mind, especially if someone is starting the series and sees that there's so many more volumes and expect all of them to be the same.

Can someone upload Luther Strode to the vola?

I liked "I Hate Fairyland"

Attached: 37452704592_08612fb899_o[1].jpg (783x1200, 963.87K)

That sounds awesome.

Wasn't Invincible supposed to be good?

people reading it at the time stuck with it after the quality nosedived (which happens with a lot of these series that overstay their welcome)
you can tell he ran out of ideas – one off jokes would become major characters, like pink swole alien guy.
it's okay but when a comic periodically does a 'catch-up' issue that summarizes everything from the last forty issues in the first half, and doesn't have to leave anything out, you know there's a lot of filler

Walking Dead was okay when it was a road trip but by the prison arc it went from survival story to soap opera and i dont think they even know how to end it since that stupid 'everyone is infected, everyone becomes a zombie, zombies are here forever!' """twist""" means they can't have any true epilogue because this is just the status quo forever which took a 'surviving a colossal disaster' plot and made it a slice of life drama with zombies outside the fences. Forever. I dropped it after the 'fear the hunters' arc and never touched it again.

I also liked invinicible but last i read the last few of marks dads species were living on earth in secret because procreating with humans made supermen immune to this genophage virus that was wiping them out. He girlfriend got fat and had a misscairage and maybe an affair and once again: image comic starts great, becomes soap opera.

Chew started neat, reminded me of the tv show version of iZombie rather than the comic and started to go into bullshit x files parody and it was great. Then his daughter showed up and became asian buffy and the main character became a character in a soap opera.

I'm sure you can notice a trend. Image comics are 'dude, wouldn't it be cool if-' ideas pushed past their logical conclusion. Its like this one bit from a kevin smith talk where he talks about 'what happens to the couples that form in adventure movies' he says 'do the couple from SPEED spend each day as normal couples going 'remember that bus? wadn't that fucked up?' or do they find they are completely incompatible and hate each others guts and become bitter fucks?' and thats every image comic really.
Or to use another example Max Landis said "when you finish your script dont consider the bubble ending there and everything wrapping up neat. does the story of these characters continue? do the police show up? does it all make narrative sense rather than tying up loose ends to discard the project?' and again its like that. Image comics reach their ending but keep going and show the writers don't know how to why they keep the plot going and just have the characters relationships fall apart because 'drama' is all amercian comic writers default to.

I was actually excited for the rumored Prophet Wars and have more bio-engineering sci fi humans behaving like orks.

One of the co-owners of Witch Doctor literally has no idea how to get ahold of the other which is why they have never done anything else with it.

What's the source? Last excuse I found was that they do not have enough money to devote time to Witch Doctor. That was the official reason posted on the forums, before witchdoctorcomic.com went down. That's also what turns up when you search for "Witch Doctor volume 3" or "Witch Doctor new volume," although it is a second hand information from reddit on top of it.

I actually did a little bit of sleuthing today.
It turns out that artist, Ketner, is working on Kill the Minotaur at Image, does some freelance illustration and has a few upcoming projects. Other than that, he spends time at conventions and posting his random sketches online.
Seifert, the writer, apparently did not work in comics since 2015 . Currently he is charging people for right to view his ideafaggotry on pateron. His last twitter activity is bitching that twitter didn't band D&C, and it's from the end of January. It is also full of SJW garbage. His twitter was clean back in 2012.

What's the source? Last excuse I found was that they do not have enough money to devote time to Witch Doctor. That was the official reason posted on the forums, before witchdoctorcomic.com went down. That's also what turns up when you search for "Witch Doctor volume 3" or "Witch Doctor new volume," although it is a second hand information from reddit on top of it.

This sounds pretty weird. How hard could it be? Comic book industry is not big enough to just disappear and avoiding people might be difficult.
I did a little bit of sleuthing It turns out that artist, Ketner, is working on Kill the Minotaur at Image, does some freelance illustration and has a few upcoming projects. Other than that, he spends time at conventions and posting his random sketches online.
Seifert, the writer, apparently did not work in comics since 2015. Currently he is charging people for right to view his ideafaggotry on pateron. His last twitter activity is bitching that twitter didn't band D&C, and it's from the end of January. It is also full of SJW garbage. His twitter was clean back in 2012.

What the fuck

Happens almost every time a story drags on in any media. You have to add new shit to change the status quo, but it has to fit into current continuity. For the first couple times they do it, it's not that bad or that jarring, bud eventually the status quo changes are built on previous status quo changes, and it all becomes a horrific parody of the original concept. I remember the show "Chuck" was especially egregious. The pilot of the show is about a tech support nerd who dropped out of college getting government secrets downloaded into his head by semi-accident. By the time the show ended, literally his mom, dad, and ex-girlfriend had been spies their whole life and had been trying to prevent Chuck from ever getting drawn into the world of international espionage.

Attached: 7tW59wn.jpg (327x257, 25.06K)

Attached: latest-8.jpg (682x1024, 376.72K)

Chew had shitty, lazy art.

It was good for what it was.

That picture is so related to what I said about Prophet.

New Prophet was good.

Yeah! I love Youngblood!

As far as i knew, Image publishes other's people comics so it really wasn't produced by them, right?

No, it was bad.

Best thing Image put out.