VPN?

VPN?

Holla Forums, I've been browsing cleanskin for far too long, I feel that it's time I obtained some kind of protection.

ToR is for faggots, but what alternatives do you use that are legit and won't be too expensive?

I've heard that because of their laws Hong Kong based VPNs are best. True?

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net
privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/#ukusa
eff.org/https-everywhere
archive.fo/hQDZL
archive.fo/wGe8Q
archive.fo/O0KtV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

check out cryptostorm.is
they even have a free version that limits your speed if you wanna test it
lots of people swear by PIA (privateinternetaccess)

artbump

while we have a thread about security protection, what do you think about programs like duckduckgo and privacy badger?

Also a good question, wouldn't using a VPN stop that anyway though?

Not really. There's something called "browser fingerprint" that they can use to determine it's you based on the unique configuration of browser shit you're using, even if you go through a VPN. I've even seen talk of them being able to use your physical layer headers to fingerprint.

well, VPN would stop someone from knowing where you really are from, making it hard to track your location. but your webbing habits and associated metadata can still be views, sold, traded by companies

Interesting, thanks for the info. Any advice as to the VPN question though? Or are there better options I'm just not aware of?

well, only worthy VPNs are paid for, meanign the company will often try to protect your data if authorities come snooping because its bad for business, free VPN tend to bow easier.

also, good nitbit of info to know, https the S at the end stand for secure encrypt your data when browsing, meaning your service provider, or anyone tryign to sniff your connection, won't know what info is transiting.

mostly use by any website using ID/PW, banking, shopping. also many website got the feature but is not applied by default, try it on Holla Forums, type in 8ch.net instead of 8ch.net, you will see a lock icon next to the web adress

Rent VPS for a year, roughly 10$ In Bitcoin anonymously, put OpenVPN on it or tunnel through SSH and you'll be better off than VPN service

Learn to change your UA and canvas, or just surf via VMs.

You are already fucked. Before you post another thing buy a new hard drive and install a new Linux distro (without systemd). Destroy your existing hard drive, physically bash it. Then throw the pieces in a large body of water, preferably salt water.

Great idea. Thanks user.

Read this, and just below are recommended VPNs.
privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/#ukusa

I hear this a lot here
but why is ToR bad exactly?

Is it

just a

Reddit thing

OP?

Thanks i'll check this out

Probably, better late than never I suppose

I've been around since /new/ on and off, never really been to Leddit to be honest so I wouldn't know user

I've seen it said here a lot. Tor is apparently an FBI honeypot. I have yet to be shot so either I'm lucky or they're wrong.
Plus I live in Britain, land of the fuck your privacy faggot. So it must be ok?

even /new/fag's don't space, but answer my question on why exactly ToR is bad?

Using Windscribe at the moment. But I'm propably gonna switch over to Mullvad, which I would recommend.

Honestly I'm not super tech savvy, hence the reason for this thread, but is essentially what I've heard.

Thanks I'll look into that one too.

Thanks lads, maybe a field trip to /g/ will answer our questions about VPN and ToR alternatives.

Yeah, cycle your machine ever three months or less.

have a read, just keep in mind that snowden isn't a reliable source though

Thanks m8. I just needed to look at the Rabbi pic.

Are the very bare minimum you should be running https everywhere.

eff.org/https-everywhere

nice try. I heart some jews invented things which we're using nowadays. Let's go back to stonage guys, everything is jewish.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're baiting. Also no one even implied the kikes invented Tor, they never invent anything.

No, they didn't. Einstein was a Jewish error-planting crook and is a sole reason why we had no major breakthroughs since.

nah, you're a huge luddite faggot, gas yourself.

Kek you're actually fucking saying "guys don't worry, it doesn't matter if half the board of directors for Tor are jews, that will have absolutely no effect on it at all! You're perfectly fine with Tor! Everything is okay, the kikes don't mean anything."

I would love for you to try and fucking defend yourself here, because I can see zero ways you could even plausibly try to claim how you aren't a massive shill.

Take it to Holla Forums rather than sliding here, faggot.

privacytools.io
There's a nice list of VPNs that accept BTC payment and have no-logs policy. I'd choose one located somewhere else than in a 14eyes country.

wew

I don't see anyone mentioning Jake Appelbaum in the context of Tor… does anyone know what the fuck is happening with Jake? Long before I ever heard of antifa, I remember Appelbaum being interested in trying to get Soros money for Wikileaks. For those that do not know Jake Appelbaum was kicked out of Tor due to sexual harassment claims (some of it is probably true) and he is a mega-Jew spy and honestly ideologically quite in sync with antifa. is jacob appelbaum helping run antifa in germany? after all, he was no the ground in Egypt setting the ground in the year before that Arab Spring. Soros funded trip, too.

A VPN won't protect you from anyone that actually wants to get your IP. VPNs and HTTP proxies are vulnerable to website fingerprinting, as they do nothing to disguise packet counts, data sizes, and timing.

There's also no guarantee that they're not keeping logs. If you actually believe them just because they say, "we totally don't keep logs!" you're a fucking dumbass. You can refer to all the pedos who were caught despite using "no-log" VPNs if you want to see how "difficult" it is to track someone using a VPN.

Tor is decentralized. I don't care who the people who created it are, anyone can run a node. And since Tor doesn't use nodes from the same /16 subnet twice in the same connection, it at least makes it more difficult to set up a bunch of honeypot nodes. The source is available to anyone to download and read (you can even build it from source if you don't trust the pre-compiled binaries). And because Tor repackages packets into 512-byte cells, because the non-tunneling protocol introduces additional inter-packet delay, and because connections between users are multiplexed, you can't trivially de-anonymize Tor users with website fingerprinting the way you can with a VPN.

True, also check Nick Farr and his story
(1st pic)
https: [email protected]/* *//hi-im-nick-farr-nickf4rr-35c32f13da4d
archive.fo/hQDZL

https: //news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11842301
archive.fo/wGe8Q

Not related to applebaum but there was some pretty suspicious thing also with the hacker scene, it's a good read
http: //www.puscii.nl/blog/content/whats-wrong-kids-these-days
archive.fo/O0KtV
(2nd pic)

Ok, I thought your "Wew" was about Torvald, I'm the one who posted it anyway faggot.

It's bulkly and slow, especially for .onion sites (and you can only post to Holla Forums using the .onion from it, not the .net).

It's excellent security, it outclasses things you have to actually pay for, but the bulk is phenominal. I personally use express VPN now. It's not perfect, but it works well enough, has passable linux support and has a built in killswitch for windows (i.e. kills your internet if the VPN connection drops, rather than risk sending information from your IP directly).

Not OP
Please explain, I am using arch Linux…

Could you recommend a Linux distro explaining why.

Also why does this place require JS, is that not insecure…

How paranoid are you? And how much effort are you willing to put into security?

Javascript can be used to identify you, but if you use the Tor browser you're safe so long as you don't change any of the settings and don't change the size of the browser window/go full screen. The Tor browser sets all identifiable features to the same value on every single installation, so you blend in with everyone else using Tor.

However, even with the Tor browser, using javascript makes you more vulnerable to browser-based exploits. Javascript enables a lot of other attacks that would be impossible or impractical otherwise (heap spraying, information leaks leading to ASLR bypass, DEP bypass, use-after-free attacks, etc) as well as opens up significant extra attack space in your browser. It's not quite as bad as using Flash and a bunch of Java/ActiveX plugins, but it's best to just disable javascript entirely if possible.

I read that Tor gives a false sense of security, Tor/tails is still good as an added level of protection between your VPS/VPN though.

goes something like this you>firewall>vpn>vps>firewall>tor but I am by no means an expert in this sort of thing so i am here researching like the OP to better understand security so I can better lock my shit down

I am willing to do everything it takes to become completely invisible

Should I go full Richard Stallman?

I run debian in a virtual machine and always have a VPN (mullvad) running inside of it. With VMWare it makes integrating the VM into your desktop environment seamless.

I do anything involving internet browsers through that VM and basically nothing else.

It's better than the alternative which is no privacy at all. I still probably wouldn't use it without being behind a VPN already, but for Holla Forums casual browsing and posting it's fine to keep your hatred of niggers and jews private.

For general use VPNs are pretty good man. Most people aren't trying to defend themselves from directed attacks, they are just trying to avoid mass profiling and spying.

You should go beyond, things are getting dangerous, even the hardware we use is not secure…

We need to start thinking about creating a new net, not joking…

Tor is as secure as you're gonna get for low-latency anonymity. There are better solutions out there, but those are all high-latency (i.e. you have to wait for several hours to get your content). This kind of system is fine for sending messages (like email), but won't work for fetching websites or things like IRC/IM.

Tor is better than a VPN for the reasons I listed in . Tor doesn't tunnel your traffic like a VPN (i.e. it doesn't pass packets you send directly to the site). Each node receives a series of 512-byte cells, unpackages those cells, takes the encrypted data inside, strips one layer of the encryption, determines the next node to send to, repackages the data back into 512-byte cells, and sends it to the next node.

Because the data is "morphed" if you will into 512-byte cells, it's impossible to fingerprint which websites you visit using the average packet size distribution. Because each hop to the next node uses a completely new TCP stream instead of a tunnel, the average packet inter arrival time is essentially randomized for each hop, closing a further avenue of fingerprinting.

Also because of this system of using new TCP streams for each hop, potentially identifiable data from the TCP headers in the traffic you send is cleaned out after the first hop. For example, it is usually possible to tell what operating system you're using from a remote website even if you're using a VPN. This is possible because different operating systems use different values for the default TCP time-to-live header, and this value can be viewed by the website you connect to. Most VPNs just forward your traffic to the website without changing the TCP headers, but because Tor repackages all your data on each hop, any potentially identifiable information about your operating system is obliterated at the first hop. Any potentially identifiable information about the identity of the first hop is obliterated at the second hop, and so on.

Also, Tor multiplexes multiple connections from the same IP. This means that it can be difficult to separate two different users' packets, which makes fingerprinting or traffic correlation attacks virtually impossible in instances where this applies.

Tor is also better than a VPN because you don't have to trust all of the nodes you're using. Sure, some nodes could be run by the NSA/CIA/FBI/malicious Tor users. But because each node only has any information at all from the nodes immediately preceding and following it, you don't need to trust that each node isn't spying on you. So long as just one node in your connection of three nodes is not compromised, you are safe – at least, unless the attacker uses a very unreliable attack I'll mention in a bit.

Tor provides additional protection against bad nodes by refusing to use the any nodes from the same /16 network block twice in the same circuit. What this means is that setting up a million Tor nodes using the same ISP/data center will not allow you to control peoples' Tor circuits, as your "bad nodes" would only be used once in each person's circuit due to them all being from the same network block. As a result, the FBI can't just monitor all Tor traffic from a single data center. If they wanted to set up honeypot Tor nodes, they'd have to set them up all over the world, which is possible but considerably more difficult/expensive.

Although Tor tries as much as possible to be resilient against attacks to de-anonymize users, it is vulnerable to one attack I mentioned earlier as a result of being a low-latency network. This attack is usually referred to as "traffic confirmation", or packet counting.

The gist of this attack is that an adversary monitors your network connection and the network connection of a website he thinks you're visiting. When he notices a certain number of bytes of traffic leaving your computer, he takes note of the number of bytes leaving. If he sees the same number of bytes arriving at the website a short time later, this gives a suspicion that you have just visited that site. If he continues to watch your internet connection and notice similar correlations for a long time period, then it becomes more and more likely that you are the person visiting the site. If they notice that you frequently send, say, 1 kb of traffic out seconds before the site you're visiting receives 1 kb of traffic, it gives them a good idea that you're visiting the site.

The good thing is that this attack is generally only useful if they already have a suspicion of who you are. In order for it to work, whoever is monitoring you must have a particular site they want to monitor, have a good idea of which people they suspect are going to the site, and specifically monitor those individuals while looking for patterns. Traffic confirmation is too "vague" of an attack to just use on random people. You can't just monitor every internet connection and connect similarly sized data transfers for all 3.6 billion people on the internet – there's just too many people sending about the same amount of data at around the same time coincidentally for you to be able to draw any conclusions about who is visiting which site. Keep in mind that even if an attack has an 85% success rate and a 15% false positive rate (which is the going rate for the most successful attack currently), that still is not good enough to randomly identify someone. Tor is used by ~2.5 million people, and even if you can narrow that down to just 15% of the Tor population (as would be the case for the most successful attack known today), that still leaves you with ~375,000 suspects. Far too many to press hate speech charges against or physically monitor to gather more information.

Also worthy of note is the fact that traffic confirmation is a probabilistic attack. This means that it does not definitively say "this person visited this site," rather it says "there is a high probability that this person visited this site."

Also, traffic confirmation only proves that your IP address contacted another IP address. Because of the way that websites work, the IP address does not identify which page on the website you visited, or what you posted (or if you even posted anything) on that website. It only reveals that you visited the website. For example, even if I could prove that you contacted Holla Forums's IP address, I would have no proof that you made that post, or even that you visited Holla Forums. For all I know, you could have been browsing Holla Forums. Holla Forums and Holla Forums are both hosted on the same IP, so knowing that you contacted Holla Forums's IP gives me no information on whether or not you did any bad goy things. It would be difficult to get a conviction based on traffic confirmation alone.

As a result, traffic confirmation is only used when someone has narrowed down the list of possible suspects to a small number and wishes to narrow it further and possibly find one "likely suspect." It would typically be used to obtain probable cause to get a search warrant and raid your house to search for more damning evidence. Traffic confirmation is just that – confirmation. It's used to confirm that someone you're already monitoring is doing something you already have good reason to believe he's doing.

TL;DR
Tor is not perfect, but it protects you from the vast majority of attacks against your anonymity – far more than a VPN or a proxy. The only realistic attack against Tor is traffic confirmation, which is only really useful when they already have a good idea who you are, and which also doesn't give them any information about what you're actually doing on a site.

with that said, if we go and create a new net, by design all forms of degeneracy must be automatically blocked to prevent rampant abuse. This new net must only be used for what it was intended for, the freedom of information but no degenerate filth allowed and no safe haven for people that would do us harm e.i. terrorist scum.

I would say that VPNs are good if your threat model involves malicious website admins (i.e. the admin of an antifa site wants to find your IP after you shitposted on the site) or IRC admins, your ISP, or corporate datamining. A VPN is not sufficient if your threat model includes the FBI or intelligence agencies.

Like I said, direct attacks are not really a concern of mine. I just want to avoid mass profiling for the most part. Directed specific attacks are pretty fucking rare I figure even for illegal shit unless you're some sort of big distributor or something that is relevant enough to warrant attention.

A simple, free method for people on Mac or Linux who aren't retarded with computers.

>ssh -N -D 1488 -i keyfile.pem [email protected]/* */_IP_HERE

Source: just did this to evade silly Holla Forums ban.

You mean like the TSA?

Pol admins cant make a fucking list with VPNs IPs, so they keep banning faggots and get half of major VPNs banned every day

dun mind me, chekka'ing