Is he right, Holla Forums? Is the West biased against Japanese games? Is that why we keep getting regurgitated bullshit...

Is he right, Holla Forums? Is the West biased against Japanese games? Is that why we keep getting regurgitated bullshit, boring shooters and bad games that keep selling?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=87IbuTN4AL4,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

E3 is a western trade show so they just show what they believe the west loves according to focus groups. So yeah, they're biased.

Wait until TGS for the good niche shit.

if the biggest trade show in the world only shows some games and neglects actual platform exclusives, doesn't it do more damage to the brand and end up stifling the impact these games could have?

To me it shows a lack of confidence, which I think it's a safe conclusion to see is from biased journalism against Japanese games.

No, this is the narrative the SJWs want to push (like Treehouse which is why they fuck up translations and releases) because Japan isn't as cucked as the west is and Japan doesn't give a fuck about identity politics.

Get with the times grandpa.

You're acting the same shit doesn't happen in Japan.
CoD is fucking huge over there.

Soulsborne and MGS series totally aren't top sellers, right…

cod is huge everywhere, but you're missing the point. If unique, off beat games like Yakuza and Gravity Rush wouldn't they stand more chance to succeed and grow as brands? If they never get exposure, aren't they destined to stay niche forever? Gravity Rush 2 easily has mass appeal, but it's not being marketed, tons of people don't even know about it.

If you know Japanese games don't get any marketing then why the fuck did you make this thread in the first place?

Fuck off and die shitposter.

What are you talking about? Did I trigger something Mister Schrier?

That's the fault of the Japs for not fucking marketing their games then. I really don't see the point you're trying to make.

stop this shit meme
the publishers need to please the casuals for their money by censoring things that they are culturally sensitive to

do you mind linking the original video so i don't have to watch it in teeny weeny eyestrain O vision

Wasn't it Battlefield or something that had a launch over there recently that did better than the game did here? More people actively playing and all that?

To OP's point, we don't get more quirky Japanese games because they don't sell well enough for the effort put into them to get them localized. Look at Yakuza as a good example. It was how long between Yakuza 5 JP and US? And that only came out because Sony (a massive multibillion dollar company) was willing to pay for it to be brought over.

Also if you're looking for nip games, get a Vita.

Its the jews ayyy.

Why do you think they don't want to market games that legitimately look interesting and stand out from the crowd? Games that are actual exclusives, and stick to the same boring games? Aren't you tired of the same shooters selling? Aren't you tired of call of duty getting like 8 minutes of an hour long conference to show off the same 13 year old game play?

Companies like Sony and Nintendo react to press, which they by and large believe represents the majority of players. When the journalists express disgust towards Japanese games…I'll let you answer that.

2:39:50 is the timestamp.

Games like Yakuza could absolutely sell a million units or more in the West. If they had a marketing presence, and Sony pushed them a bit. They're very unique and have a ton of style, something like that, with a chance to be shown to a large audience, could easily engage tons of people in it.

youtube.com/watch?v=87IbuTN4AL4, forgot to link you.
2:39:50 is the timestamp.

Is he right, Holla Forums?

Maybe the West is just sick and tired of Sony's bullshit.

Thank you sir.

by the by you can link videos that are already timesta,ped

You have spent too long on imageboards user. Your average casual doesn't want Yakuza, they have GTA. The modern day "weeb" doesn't want it either because it has no animu waifus, high school slice of life, or JRPG elements. It is a niche of a niche.

yeah, just didn't think of it at the moment. timestamping doesn't work with embedding, so I haven't done it in a while.

Yakuza isn't like GTA, it wouldn't be a smart idea to advertise it as that, considering they tried in the past. Let it stand on its own, let it show itself off and it'll probably attract people to it based on that. All the time people show off what kind of cool, even mundane unique things you can do in games. I spent plenty of time around normalfags, I work with them at both of my jobs, and they got excited over mundane stuff like smithing in skyrim.

Considering the first game hit a million sales worldwide, with only 250K from Japan, it's easy to imagine it being put as a bigger release on the system could net it a million sales in the west alone. It was at 750K for the first game, 250K more isn't a stretch in the slightest.

Wasn't Yakuza 5's localization announced at some gaming show? I think it was Keighley's game awards show.
That's big marketing, in any case, for a game like Yakuza. It didn't help. Japanese games don't have a large enough audience in the west for companies to risk investing in bringing them over. And when companies do take that risk, they have to find a way to minimize that with stuff like age changes which only gets them hated more with calls of censorship

Causals will equate it with GTA. The few normalfag friends that have seen me play it immediately compared it unfavorably to GTA.

I don't think it matters what they equate it to. Even games that are pushed from the start as GTA clones sell well.

Like Saints Row? But it offered what some of GTA fans want, unlike yakuza.

true crime LA, sleeping dogs, scarface the world is yours, lots of GTA knock-offs sell in the millions.

This is a point of distraction however, isn't it? Regardless of the comparisons some people might make, especially considering the series' history of marketing early on, push it on its own merits. A way to experience Japanese culture through the perspective of a wealthy Yakuza thug.

Just because the West likes to tie up its regurgitated shit into neat bundles (CoD I to CCXIII) doesn't mean Japanese games don't suffer from the exact same lack of original ideas and do nothing but regurgitate tired old weeb tropes.

read the thread, shitposter

Aren't normalfags actually pretty resilient against cultural insensitivity?
They did fund fucking Bayformers, after all.

The amount of truly unique and fresh game concepts is tiny IN GENERAL. The Nips aren't the saviors gaming just because they produce a lot of shit that is too obscure or pedophilic for the West.

you're replying to things no one has said, try and pay attention

Yeah, it's because they ALL play like GTA. Can you even shoot pedestrians and run over prostitutes in yakuza?

Not everyone is an autistic weeb like you.

no one is saying it's like GTA, I'm arguing against marketing it like that in the first place, suggesting other courses. Considering the reception of the first installment, a modern one could easily sell a million units. Yakuza doesn't take place in county, it usually takes place in a set of areas in a city.

japanese devs catering to west is for them the same act of desperation as catering to sjws for us - japanese market is perfectly viable on itself and whitewashing games pisses off everyone - see capcom's last 5 years, star ocean, fire emblem.

it's better to not try to mess with the monkey paw.
on the other hand, niche japanese games on steam are getting abysmal sales so why would they even bother?

they sell pretty well on platforms that aren't the PC.

The first installment came out like a decade ago. Was it even THAT successful outside Japan? Come on, the audience have been spoiled by GTA and it's likes. Yakuza won't stand a chance against it.

I'm genuinely curious. What do you mean by cultural insensitivity with Bayformers?

about 3 times more successful outside of Japan. Yakuza isn't a game like GTA. Do you have some sort of disorder that keeps you fixated on it?

Every good game is being drowned by the shit.

It doesn't matter if it is a game like GTA (which it isn't), what matters is that the market perceives it as such. They see nip GTA without cars and guns and full of weird Jap shit that they don't care about or actively have contempt for. It isn't kawaii enough for the sad excuses for "weebs" that exist nowadays either. It is a game without a home in the market. We should be thankful it sells what it does already.

That's barely 1 million copies, because they shipped around 350k in japan.

Wasn't it the other user who bitched about GTA clones selling well?

Oh my bad, it was you.

the general public doesn't have contempt for Japanese things, that's just people like you, Mister Whitaker.

so, selling about 700K units means it cant push it over a million units sold? Usually games that sell well in Japan sell in the hundreds of thousands. They tend to sell quite a few times more here. It's something like, every one copy of a game sold there, in some cases 6 are moved here. I think Yakuza could break 2 American sales for every 1 Japanese sale.

its called a comparison, try and keep up.

Not him, but some of the characters are blatant stereotypes of certain races. Some normalfags might be offended by this, but I find it unintentionally hilarious.

From what I can tell BF4 was insanely popular in Japan

If you think I enjoy Yakuza yet somehow hate Japanese culture then you are dumber than I already thought you were. Normalfags like Japanese culture sure, the Hollywood version of it anyway. Not the more authentic version Yakuza portrays. This conversation is pointless anyway, I can already see the endless circle the next 20 posts are going to take. Believe what you want about possibility of large sales for it in the West.

Yeah, Americans would hate playing as a tough gangster who beats up everyone who looks at him the wrong way.

I'm just looking at the numbers to formulate a reasonable expectation. A million sales isn't a lot, but it's a pretty reasonable goal. So far, everything seems to be in my favor in this argument.

an aging populace of about 127 million people of which only a fraction actually care about Japanese made games. the major japanese console systems went international long ago, the companies that make them are reliant on international sales now. perhaps some developers are not reliant on audiences outside of Japan, but the big players are so their video game market certainly isn't viable on its own.

Whoops, meant for

Why didn't he killed himself yet? why is he thinking he is relevant?

Fuck all and every indie western developer. None has shown any decency nor actual work ethics.

Really? Even niche games like Monster Hunter?

Comparing apples to oranges?

Fighting games have lost their popularity. Yakuza feels like a fighting game with boring sim like missions.

The gooks get their own special brands of "CoD," as in, soulless cash-ins and shallow garbage.
Don't pretend like the west is the only one guilty of this.

Jap games are also often seen as childish and not hardcore enough, meaning they wouldn't sell well among the casuals.
Those who are interested in them know where to look and keep track of them.

you also forgot they are all uncompetitive and single player. All my experiences with Japanese games are clichéd the character and grind. Most of their gamesareon consoles

I'm not watching that video but yes, the west has a bias against Japanese games.

The consensus for the past few years seems to be
So 2017 will be a pretty damn interesting year I imagine.

You have to keep going back until 2005 to get to a Japanese winner which was Resident Evil 4, a game about playing a white guy saving the presidents daughter from a bunch of Spaniards.

To answer the 2nd question also yes, the boring shooters sell, in my perfect world more people play Gravity Rush/Daze more than the 7th Halozones and 15th Battleduties.
We don't live in anything close to that world because more people are creatures of habit and they think the shoot games are the only ones worth a damn.
Point and shoot is the pinnacle of game design.
They play them for literal days worth of time and that makes them winners.
They react to Japanese games like Frankenstein's Monster to fire.
>Oh, with this one you grind in like a turn based or closed arena until your numbers get higher, sounds fun
>I love listening to all the japanime doll people talk about how hard they're going to "mamoru" each other

just listen to the webm then. It's not meant to be watched necessarily.

Holy shit post the actual thing nigga.

its 4 hours long, just listen to it.

To me, these are easily the worst offences.
For devs who pride themselves on making "unique" stories and worlds, they sure love to copy-paste pretty much everything.
The grinding can also get abysmal, especially if the game itself doesn't have really strong gameplay.

It's not like they can't make games that differ from their usual mould, just look at Valkyria Chronicles.

If you say so fam.

It is the SJWs almost every time; they weasel their way into positions of power then abuse that power like being the execs in charge or being the publisher, or screaming at the top of their lungs and using their connections with journalists and reviewers to strong arm their desired narrative and tricking non-infected companies into believing they're a viable audience to pander to. They're also the most dominant group in indies and kikestarters alongside hipsters producing walking simulators and pushing for muh narrative garbage over gameplay.

The rest of the time the devs are Jews and are on board with most of the practices SJWs push because they also happen to coincide with the dream of moar shekels for less work.

I meant it had a lot of shit that the pc police didn't like.
It's not redpilled by any means, it just triggered some niggers by being a big dumb action movie.
I might have even been able to stomach it as a big dumb action movie if it wasn't fucking Transformers.

The multiplayer on that game was vastly more competitive than single player

That's actually quite a debatable subject in hardcore Tetris Attack/Puzzle League circles, but perhaps that was a bad example.

He's being thick. Last year's E3 was a healthy display of Japanese titles—several of which were show stealers (KH3, Shenmue, The Last Guardian, FFVII).

His angle would make more sense if it were pointing out how goddamned neglected the PS Vita is. Or if he started asking questions on WHY the west shunned the east casually this time round, or if this happens just as regularly at the Tokyo Game Show. Technically, it's two branches of the industry competing for audience & money, even if they operate under the same company. Good returns means more money in those areas. Bias in the west and east is natural in that respect.

He doesn't go in-depth. He's just poking for poking's sake.

those are some pretty accepted titles m8, he covered that pretty well

SJW are everywhere you retard and they control this industry
>>>Holla Forums
>>>/tumblr/

No our problems are because of the Jews have a monopoly on most things in the west.

Everyone's biased for their own culture and against other cultures, western games also have low penetration in japan

no, they sell well relative to everything else released in the country. Next you'll tell me PC gaming is new/non-existent in Japan.

Yeah, and Japanese games are a big part of Western gaming culture.

Yo, i ain't listening too 9 and a half mins, what the fuck does this guy say?

The western industry has a hard on for dudebros, and weebs have a hard on for Nip gaming shit. This is historic and continuing.

Hey shit, as long as nobody gets a hard on for rad-fem things can't get any worse.

Hello, Sturgeon's Law! It's a good thing to keep in mind, though. There is a veritable shitload of garbage that never reaches western shores. We don't always get the best, but we usually do. But in comparison, we get ALL of the stuff the west produces by west I obviously mean the English speaking part, not obscure Euro devs

Think about that.

dark souls isn't really a dudebro game and it's very successful

GT sport was not on stage as well

Obviously the west is just more competitive in mass appeal, hollywood gets airtime everywhere but cultures everywhere still watch their own homegrown movies and in some cases they're the only ones will.

Not everyone's equal and at the end of the day there's going to be comparative winners and losers, big giant western movies and games are cultural winners across the planet but the innate preference for ones own culture and at many times just language barriers keep some homegrown markets afloat.

well i guess there's the silver-lining to the bayformers, they were kinda racist.

god i can't wait for that kike to ruin another childhood cartoon show.

if that was true Holla Forums wouldn't exist.

m8 even gooks and chinks love shit like Witcher 3 and Skyrim more than their own games.

It isn't, but it's community is.

If that's the only thing the brother says he's right, ironically nips are playing cock of dog.

1. Death Stranding, The Last Guardian and Resident Evil 7 aren't japanese games

2. I DESPERATELY want Sony to go back to pre-2010 press conferences which are 3 hours long and show literally EVERY upcoming game regardless of how little there is to say about it.
I mean, those were the times, right?

listen to the webm

this is addressed too. I'd like it as well. Even if it's just showing a 2 minute trailer, let it play.

3 hours worth of] video games with some good shit thrown in > 1 hour worth of video games with just about nothing good thrown in > confrences that are hard to tell if they're a video game compny or nota

you're both delusional.
I'd rather watch a conference with mostly reveals and maybe a couple of live demos and the other trailers posted online later on instead of a 3 hour long barrage of every little shit that comes out on the console.

Go ahead and watch some older E3s from Sony. They're all shit exactly because of this.

Persona fans already know about P5. Same with Yakuza, Gravity Rush, etc.
We all know what those games are. We don't need to waste 10 min on each of them

not talking about fans. Plenty of people would be excited to see a game like Persona 5 or gravity rush 2, they're very unique and the people who aren't fans and actively searching for information? They don't know about it. Call of Duty? Everyone knows it happens once a year in November. Battlefield? 3 other conferences had the same footage.

Nobody wants 10 minutes. Nobody wanted call of duty to have 8 minutes. Trailers are 2 minutes.

What a crime, I know, mister Kuchera.

the call of duty think must be a deal that sony has. they get Ad time / E3 time on sony's stage and the ps4 gets dlc weeks before xbone

Yes, they do have a Sony deal, especially considering the PS+ offers, they want to capitalize on it, but it's obvious now more than ever that call of duty has fallen into irrelevance and is quickly declining in sales and its reception among players.

60k views, fucking Sony.

see? But gravity rush fans know. Oh but everyone else? Saying fans know is a retarded argument, a game like this easily has mass appeal.

k

The western industry certainly wants Jap games out- for political and financial reasons- All you can do is call out bullshit, keep demanding Jap games, and import if you can't get it otherwise.

God fucking damnit!

don't rely on steam then, shit sucks. most jp pc games barely require any jp skills anyway. at worst you'll be running in jp locale so your back-slashes are yen symbols.

Gravity Rush sold 620K units. The remastered version sold 100k units. Maybe they aren't all fans, but there's a market.

yeah, just look at all the exposure the game got.

YOU CUCK SHILL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is there a problem?

I'd forgotten how nice Mais rack was.

GT Sport looks and runs atrocious, has 10% of the content of GT6 and has removed significant features like time of day and weather.Sony not having their biggest IP of all time on stage when it's supposed to be a tentpole game is a clear red flag.

Gravity Rush 2. The E3 demos and trailers haven't shown a huge evolution or addressing the problems of the first. It's going to be a very "B-Tier" sent to die project which is unsurprising as it was a Vita game pulled to PS4 when it became obvious there was no point in supporting the Vita any more for Sony.

But then Sony went for a very normalfag pleasing conference this year, wasn't very interesting and ended on Days Gone which looks terrible. We're just expected to lap it up like good goys because neogaf and sonyggers across the internet are crying and screaming that they "Won".

If you know the upcoming ps4 releases, its clearly the platform to own, but otherwise Sony's e3 showing left a lot to desire

Which are Games that should really be on PC held to a hardware DRM dongle. There's no reason for consoles to exist and Sony doubling down on a walled garden ecosystem where you have to buy a new console to improve the games framerate/graphics is completely anti-consumer.

I'm not ever owning a PS4 because it was sold as a lie. And this year proved it.

oh god its one of those
aahhahhahaha only a total biscuck believes this
holy shit he's serious

please stick to your pc, nobody wants you here

Name a reason to buy a PS4 then.

video games you cant play on the multiplatform computer

I think the media is to a degree when it comes to certain journalists especially if that journalist is an SJW who hates Japan because they don't like the fanservice.

The PS4 has what, four good games upcoming?
It's just as shit as all the other consoles this gen. Maybe games will start really picking up after the Neo launches, because so far the PS4 feels more like the test version of a console rather than the full console. Maybe that's because what it is, the consoles were rushed out because Sony and MS felt like the last gen was lasting too long. That's why the Xbone and PS4 had no games and were so under-powered.

about 8 upcoming good looking games, you might wanna look into them if you're that out of the loop

Outside of normalfags who are too stupid to know that you can connect your PC to you tv and use a controller, that statement is correct.
Presumably he's talking about the Neo, which if the PS4 delivered what Sony promised at the E3 where they revealed it, the Neo wouldn't need to exist and there'd just be a PS5 instead.

So pointless since those games will be ported to PC after they flop on the Normalfagstation 4 like Star Ocean and still no reason to buy an underpowered PS4 for games at 24FPS

PC really is becoming the platform for weeb titles. Especially since there's less censorship.

console producers enable an environment for highly polished, high production and more experimental games to be made. PC games don't sell enough to justify experimentation on major scales, so you see less polished, less well directed games that can

lol, bet you're still waiting for halo 3 too

20 Rupees have been placed in your PSN account

There's your problem.

thanks mister indian man, dont forget to poo in the loo

If that's the case then why is practically everything being released on it dumbed down versions of what we got last gen?
Also:
Either you're trolling or you've never played a new release on a PS4

relative to every PC game ps4 releases are highly polished. You don't seem to own a ps4 if you think this is not the case

Quite the contrary, alot of fags eat up any garbage from japen. The ps2 era was hell with a lot of literal trash games being lauded as great games just because they were made by fucking japen.

its spelled japan, my fellow destructoid writer

my dick is bigger, i call them whatever the fuck i want

ok jim sterling, tell me about your big dick

Should I direct you to Fallout 4 that had to have its graphics fucking DOWNGRADED post release because it ran so fucking poorly.
Or let's have a look at a more recent release. Mighty number 9 that's actually bricking peoples consoles.
Then we have battlefields, call of dutys, assassins creeds and nearly all other AAA releases that come with massive day one updates because they run like shit otherwise and even after these updates don't run properly.
You're talking to someone who actually owns a PS4 and has played a lot of these games, the very last thing I'd describe them as is "highly polished".

I know your retarded because all you listed was first person shit, if you play any of that garbage, eapecially on consoles your opinion is worthless

West is biased because faggots handle localization.

One thing worth considering is that Japanese devs almost always seek out Japanese publishers, and the only Japanese publishers that consistently do a lot at E3 are Sony and Nintendo (The former is pretty heavily westernized and the latter seems to be losing interest in E3). On the other hand a large number of western publishers have grown more invested, and the only thing any of them have to show for it is more western games. I have a theory that the increasingly disproportionate presence of western publishers at E3 has to do with the fact that it is primarily used as a means of advertising, which is obviously very desirable to the growing number of AAA publishers in the west. Japan, however, still has a lot of publishers that are less dependent on advertising, sometimes to a fault, and for those publishers E3 is no more attractive then it was 10 years ago. So when Sony plans their E3 presentation, the people who are going to want the most from them are western publishers that made PS4 games.

If you want more examples that aren't FPSes, then fine; both Arkham knight and watch dogs had massive issues when they were released, both graphically and functionally, then there was the need for speed reboot, which was so awful that fans wanted a reboot of the reboot. I can keep this up all day as there are more games suffering from performance issues and game breaking bugs on release on current gen systems than those that released with no problems at all.
I honestly can't tell if you're a dedicated troll, an idiotic fanboy or just a paid shill who's really bad at their job.
I can't see you being a fanboy though as I can't believe anyone is actually stupid enough to believe what you've been writing.

arkham knight was interesting, it actually ran on consoles, but on pc it was so bad they had to pull it off the store for months. Did it ever go back on steam after a year?

I'm not sure, I think it did eventually but there wasn't much fanfare over it. Didn't they also refund everyone who bought it?
Arkham Knight did have some problems on consoles initially, but they were patched and it at least runs fairly well now

yeah, it's incredibly rare to find a non-nintendo game that gets released without issues. Console games have their issues addressed faster, PC can often have vendor specific hardware revision issues that never, ever get sorted. Wolfenstein ET/RTCW got broken from a catalyst update over 10 years after the game came out that fucked with really old opengl extensions and was never, ever fixed as far as I know.

Sometimes you have issues on PC that are simply never addressed and you need to completely change hardware, run an older OS in a VM and hope the game runs decently on emulated hardware. These are just obvious flaws of the platform. If a console game shipping with a day 1 patch is unacceptable to you, having these issues must be considered heretical.

no but "they" will be if people keep telling them they are and making a joke about it