How come no fucking games with a "retro"art style actually look like old games...

How come no fucking games with a "retro"art style actually look like old games? I'll try not to cherrypick too hard but here's a faggoty sanfran snatcher ripoff compared to a great PC-98 game. Do people really think old games look like this or are they just shitty artists?

Because pixel artists know better than going near people that make games.
So you only get faggots that have a very general idea of pixel art or straight up suck at it.

Because hipster fuckheads just want their games to look "retro" without actually going the extra mile and working with system limitation, trying to get the most out of few like devs used to back then.

Jesus i need to get some sleep, that post makes no sense.

Because they don't actually know what retro games looked or felt like, as they more often than not did not play them. What fucking infuriates me is when they have no grasp on what dithering is and when it is appropriate to use it. It is commonplace in older games (particularly PC-98) because shitty screens back then would blend the pixels together. Nowadays, since the pixels are actually crisp and clean on peoples' screens, you use it sparingly for textures like snow or dirt.

Fucking hell. I didn't expect to get this mad at videogames this late at night.

Because non of these faggots actually played games back then. They only got into this faggotry because it's "hip".

I'm so sorry user. ;-;

Dithering at native pixel size (like the PC-98 screenshot) actually looks pretty nice, even if it's obvious. The dithering on the left looks garbage in part because the pixels are so much bigger than native res.

Seriously though, there are fucking NES games that look better than that shit.

Because they weren't made with the same tools as old games. Back then dev environments were more restricted, so devs had to deal with programming, sound, and graphics tricks while squeezing every pixel they could into the limited hardware while trying not to cut corners

In contrast, modern games with a retro style are made on computers with virtually no resource limit and modern pixel art dev tools and 8-bit trackers, so of course its not going to look the fucking same, its going to look like a cheap ripoff, because in essence it is a cheap ripoff

This. 'Retro style' is solely an excuse for minimum-effort games by and for people who never actually played old games and think new games are too complicated and violent.

You expect Indies to actually be competent?

There's a few games that do shit well but they're extremely rare.

Good art is E X P E N S I V E

Such as?.

I meant indies making good games.

This.

I'm honestly really disappointed in your bait user. It could have been so much better.

when your game is good, it's an I N V E S T M E N T worth making, faggots

I never said anything about sjws anywhere, but yes, pretty much

Even on triple A companies, it's a rare sighting when someone makes a right choice

Because that would actually require having a competent artist willing to go through the effort. Why would the indies bother with that when they can just shit out random pixels? The public just eats it up anyway.

There are some. Try princess remedy in a world of hurt

I'm aware you didn't, but I was mostly just pointing out that "retro" indie titles are often made by that sort of crowd. Not that there aren't exceptions, obviously.

I want to deepthroat that robot's mouth until it becomes a submissive little bitch

Lewd

Why modern retro games don't look as shit as actual retro games? Because game devs are better nowadays, so the games end up looking better than old games even when the devs mimic the style.

You'll have to hope Turing isn't just baiting for gay people to like said robot.

[spoiler]And you'd have to use the robot's preferred pronouns[/spoilers]

OP was arguing why they look like shit when compared to old games with
and they don't 'mimic' the style, they just pixel shit all over without using the limitations, get out summerfag.

…I have embarrassed all pedo boy bot lovers…

Faggot.

Please tell me you have the sauce for that, polite sage

That's because he, like you, refuse to take off your nostalgia goggles and look at it objectively.

There's a vast ocean of indie games that use color/resolution "limitations", and they all look like shit.

They're worse.

OP here. I'm 19 and never grew up with games like this, so it's hardly nostalgia. I'm just not a blind summerfaggot.

If you'll look at the OP post you'll notice that the good game uses multiple different types of dithering very effectively. The style is consistent and even goes out of it's way to blend in light which is seen on the right edge. It does this seamlessly despite the hardware limitations of Japanese home computers at the time. If you look at something as simple as the concrete in the image you'll notice that even the most primitive of methods for mixing colors, the checkerboard pattern makes a seamless mixture of color. The sky transitions to the earth without looking like a shitty gradient effect in photoshop. The water blends in with the sky but still stands out as it's own entity. All the buildings are geometrically sound and are detailed down to the last lightbulb.

Now lets look at the sanfran hippie game.
There's a poorly proportioned alleyway with an eyeaching color pallete. The characters are illegible and the bricks have the same obnoxious pattern strung across the entire wall. I can't tell if those vertical blue bar line things or whatever are supposed to be part of the wall or part of the background. I mentioned the checkerboard method of dithering earlier and it seems to be the only fucking kin they know because it's shit out all over the ground, an it looks awful because they don't know how to use it properly. There are grey blobs of shit on the ground which is presumably trash considering the setting but would be unrecognizable in an isolated environment. What is that, a box of sweet rolls or a box of fucking dynamite by that lady's foot? Don't get me started on the generic Tumblr Adventure Time robot with an MS Paint circle head and a Kirby face. I just want to smash it's head off with a baseball bat. This Snatcher wannabe can rot with the rest of the shit you see on Greenlight. The Adventure genre is dead is fuck and this shit isn't helping.

Because most devs are sjw faggots that want to make games so they can put their shitty story and social commentary in their.

There are exceptions of course. Axiom Verge looked really good imo. But the dev for that is a classic nerd more than anything it seems.

the problem is
the games aren't intended for CRTs

But he's right, retard

i appreciate good pixel art as much as the next guy, but to be fair this sounds like

It's a visual novel machine. Try actual gaming PC's like C64, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga 1200, etc. Their games mostly have shit graphics.

These are made by actual artists from actual game development studios. Indie devs are smaller and much less experienced.

They fucking should be.

>>>/tumblr/

And most people who say this have never played a PC-98 game in their life.

PC-98 has hundreds of games not including that most VN's of the time had either P&C adventure mechanics or RPG mechanics.

You just think it's a VN machine because illustrations from VN's get posted far more often than gameplay; this because VN illustrations are far prettier examples of dithering than a screenshot of a 1988 tile based top down RPG or something similar.

My point still stands, then.

What point? You never had one to begin with.

Because they are like aliens, bodysnatchers, trying to emulate humanity and failing at it.

Usually I'd say because they are simply lazy and never played old games except marioh. But in my case I'll tell you that the truth, you won't want to see my full drawn hd art since I can't draw well. So I stick to pixel art which still looks like shit since I can't draw but it has less details of horrible art.

I know some of you are gonna say "well learn to draw first dumbass! get an artist!". To both I'm gonna say that I am learning to draw, but it's not something magical and it will take years, until then to learn how to draw I actually have to draw and it will look like shit. And artists cost money, if I had much money I would had hired a team to do my game but I have enough money to buy some noodles.

Because the old games were made by real artists pushing the limits of the hardware and computing techniques, and the new games are made by untalented hacks who disguise their ineptitude with pixelshit.

My point: all the 80's computer games made by smaller companies that are focused on gameplay had bad artstyle.

Retro City Rampage and Odallus

Kill yourself OP

No u.

I can cherrypick too.

I know this is bait, but I'm going to bite anyway.

I am sick of people saying that Undertale has good graphics. It doesn't.
There are some background pieces and some battle character art that looks good, but most of it is very simple pixel art. For the most part, it's acceptable if very mediocre, but what makes it especially bad is the sporadic quality. Some areas look great, while others look bare and amateurish. Character sprites are the same. It looks very unprofessional.
Stop spreading this lie.
And don't get me started on those "atari" noodle arms retro games. See: Sword and Sorcery. The game has some nice backgrounds, but the character sprites make me physically ill.

The praise Undertale gets is especially sad, because there actually ARE retro and pixel styled games that look GREAT! locomalito's games are a great example and I've posted some other indies, too.

Impressive cherry picking, bro. But Princess Maker 2 was made in 93, while Ultima 4 was 85. So, you're being a bit unfair.

It doesn't matter if it's from the 80s or not. We're talking about the PC-98. I could post a bunch of games made in the 80s but apparently RPGs and Adventure games aren't games to you.

The same why some 20 some or less pinkhaired faggots try to make some 'retro 80s movies' and just end doing some meme shit. They just appropiate a culture they know shit about, never understood and never cared.

There are no retro cop movies, retro horror movies, retro monster movies, just meme shit.

But it does? You're basically trying to compare the NES to the SNES. Of course there's going to be a marked difference!
You're looking for more PC88, than PC98, if you want to compare to poor old Ultima.
Dude, I'm on your side. We ids for a reason, you know.
I'm replying to you because you're making a very bad argument. Post an rpg from 85 and see what you come up with.
Incidentally, Dragon Quest was released in 86 (the MSX version, anyway), so that's a fair comparison.

I'm thinking about making my River City Ransom clone about an orc traveling through a modern town to 'rescue' some human survivors and fight ancient gods, but I know nothing about programming and my art might be really shitty.

If I was rich I could hire some codemonkeys to do the work for me.

My nigger

The initial argument was over whether the PC-98 is a VN machine or not. That's why it doesn't matter for shit.

Here's Xanadu from 1985.

PC98 shit takes skill to do properly. Something that these modern hacks lack.

Wrong fucking image. That's the rerelease. Shit's right next to each other in my fucking image search.

The illustrations aren't bad, but have you seen the in game graphics? It looked like absolute shit. The overworld exploration is pretty shallow too. And the framerate, it's just horrible. Pretty bad game tbqvh.

Soon?

Uplink