The ps2 won its gen because of the games

Why is this lunatic still in charge of NoA? It's like he's been living under a rock for the past 20 years

use webm pls

Dunno how

what

Use savefrom.net and FFmpeg.

He's not wrong in strictly terms of console sales, the Wii did sell more than PS3 or 360.

The PS2 won it's gen because for some reason even the greatest scientific minds have been unable to understand, almost none of them bought a Dreamcast. It sold great internationally, but in grorious Nippon? Abysmal sales.

You can't argue with facts, aniki.

The console sold 100m units and its hardware was GC-tier
It won by a landslide

I don't understand how Nintendo can claim to win a generation while simultaneously claiming to be "not competing" in the "red ocean".

I can't remember at this point; the Wii was sold at a slight loss margin that was recuperated after the royalties on 1-2 game purchases right?

I read that in his voice

Why did the ds win then?

That could describe pretty much anyone at Nintendo, user.
They do their own thing, which is good in a way but it doesn't always pay off, as is the case with the Wii U

You're wrong. The Wii won because it was a pure marketing powerhouse. EVERYBODY knew about the fucking Wii. It was all over the morning news channels for weeks. My dad knew what one was. My dad who does not even know how to turn on a computer.

The controller was shit, but the marketing campaign was nothing short of mythical. It was so strong it even killed the WiiU, because everybody thought that the WiiU was just some attachment for the Wii.

If a game dev is going to make his game exclusive to a console he's going to pick the biggest one. PS2 was already the most selling console at launch because it had cutting edge technology everyone wanted that wasn't games for relatively cheap, roping in a ton of people who would otherwise not buy the console at all. Since most of the devs flocked to it they also had the most good games.

No, no it wasn't. It was the most sold console because people could use it to watch DVDs, so it made sense to release games exclusive for it since there were so many sold.

When I said cutting edge technology I was implying DVDs, which just came out at the time. I was hoping

Would give that away.

I just realized I miss interpreted the OP. My bad.

You seeā€¦ sales only count when it's your favorite company that's ahead. Otherwise it's all about the "games."

Sony fanboys really pushed hard about how sales didn't matter up until the PS4. Just like Nintendo fans suddenly changed tune when the Wii-U fell behind and ended up the only console with more than 2 titles worth owning.

How was the Wii able to sell so well despite having no games?

A combination of fanboys, looking like the future, appealing to people who don't play games, and Japanese as fuck commercials.

teh PS2 won because it was easy to pirate games for it, therfore it was THE consolo to buy in the Third world, and even if devs where worried that their games would be easy to pirate, they look at the massive PS2 instal base and they immediatelly forgot about the piracy risk

Something similar happened to the Wii, although the lack of games made somehow countered the succes of the console

The casuals that bought it only cared about Just Dance,Wii Sports and Wii Fit

To be fair it was marketed as a game system you could move around and get some exercise with, and that wouldn't have been possible if they used a standard controller.

You're right that people think the WiiU is just an attachment for the Wii, it blows my mind I've actually met people who believe that. But I don't believe the reason for this belief is not because of the Wii's popularity - If I recall correctly, early commercials for the WiiU featured people using Wiimotes with it.

The Wii had like 50 good exclusives over the course of its lifespan

The wii was sold at a profit every Nintendo console is sold at a profit except for the WiiU and the 3DS after the price drop.

The PS2 won because it had Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 3

Why did you bite the hook you retard?

I'm not sure about that but one of the reasons that the various Playstations have become known as weeb machines is the relatively small amount of time it took for nip games to make it over to western territories when compared to other systems (mainly Nintendo by that point), so PS became a popular brand with weebs. Then you got the normal faggots who bought them for cheap CD/DVD players.
>tfw I actually know people who bought a PS2 for its DVD player as opposed to using it for playing games

I'm saying it had the 2 best games of all time

That quicker turn around time was probably because Sony wasn't like Nintendo when it came to regulation. Nintendo mandated stuff like removing all religious elements from games and removing risque content even for games they did not make or publish if it was coming out on their machines in the west. So there was far less regulation when bringing out Japanese games in the west on Playstation.

Really getting into it we are talking about a system that launched in 2006.
2007 is one year later, The Great Ressesion kicks off and with it the Geek Chic hipster faggot movement.
Oh look, nintendo has the cheapest console and the ever recognizable super mario man.
Nintendo's commercials were "we would like to play" where a happy GAP family waggle shit around as they smile.
Meanwhile the PS3 had crying/laughing avant garde baby shit going on and when I look for an Xbox 360 commercial all I can find is that neat banned one.

That video you posted was from obviously 3 years ago on July 1st about 6 months or so after the release of the Wii U.
And his company should have practiced what he had just preached.
He goes on to voice his ideal goal he believes is going to happen which is not needing to rely on the core nintendo fan which is what nintendo very clearly tried to do.
Goes on to say how much was banking on the idea of backwards compatibility when Sony and Microsoft were not too concerned with it.
Talks about wanting to appeal the widest demo they can and the desire not to make the same old shit.

Nintendo gambled on the casual market with a stupid control scheme while having crap for games and not to mention some of localization for 3rd party shit and ended up in last place.
Sony and Microsoft kept putting out their Halo, Gears, Killzone, Uncharted etc. shit.
Breath of Wild makes me think maybe, just maybe they learned the limits of what they can currently accomplish.
Hopefully Breath of Wild isn't some colossal red herring.

They weren't. Most countries outside of US and UK didn't get streaming services up to a few years ago. Not to mention all the countries where the internet wasn't fast enough to stream yet.

PS2 won that generation because marketing.

Wii won that generation because marketing.

PS4 will win this generation because marketing.

Maybe the NX will win "next gen" if it's actually the handheld/home console hybrid people think. Would be so nice to go out and play Pokemon or the obligatory MomHun and DQ games while traveling, then to continue them in HD when at home. That would be an amazing selling point.

Shame they'd never actually do that though. Then they couldn't sell 50 iterations of a handheld within 2 years.

Video Game success is a history of who fucked up the least coming out as the winner. It's incredibly fucking clear looking at the PS4.

It was significantly cheaper than the competition, advertised as an all-in-one and family-friendly system, came with a free game, and had them new-fangled motion controls which made all the kiddies ask for their parents for one.

Yes

I just don't want a big wonky fisher price tablet.
I want that to be incredibly optional as if the NX has WiiU compatibility.
I want to plug in my GameCube controller from 2001 and play a new videogame.
No waggle, No touch screen, Just buttons, a D-pad, a couple triggers and some sticks, like a video game console.
Otherwise I'll take that money and throw it down on a better processor and graphics card to play more of the same "hyper-realistic" "cinimatic experience" tripple-A crossplat shit everyone else is playing.

True that may also have had a hand in it.

Ah the Nintendo seal of approval, it served them pretty well coming out of the 80's and into the mid 90's, because people were tired of the constant flow of garbage on early systems. Kind of ironic when you think about the excrement that gets defended to hell and back nowadays.

Wii sold gangbusters, mainly because it was cheap and appealed to casuals. The fucking PS3, conversely, was insanely expensive.

haha, hilarious user

But he does.

Yeah it was definitely a necessary thing when looking at the crash in 83 and they were smart to do it. However keeping it around was just a mistake, you think they would've learned after what happened with MK.

Video games died when the dvd player won and dreamcast died.
Try and prove me wrong.

It's probably the biggest single country by a pretty wide margin. If you mean by continent though it isn't the case.

I was thinking something like this but bigger, with better sticks and actual shoulder buttons. And of course the option of using whatever other controller you want when at home.

Another benefit of this is that now all their resources go into making games for a single system instead of two. This ideally would lead to shorter dev times and more vidya for us. All of the handheld franchises will finally have time to shine on the big screen, and all of the console franchises will have time to shine while out and about.

Shame we will never have it.

The sad thing is this could be pretty true. If you think about it the PS2 was the transition phase from game devs making games for the sake of making fucking games to modern gaming. PS2 got huge from the DVD player, retro game devs jumped on because it was huge and made one of the best game consoles of all time, then the next gen everyone tries to cash in our the gimmicky hardware. Blueray, motion controls, etc (it's was even worse this gen).

video games died when people started paying money for instant gratification instead of needing to save their quarters by having actual skill

HURRRRRRR WII WON CAUSE SALE
Fuck off niggers it had no games

nice meme user.

Wii was a glimpse of almost understanding the casuals with a massive wave of failing to understand afterwards.
Mistaking lack of knowledge with dumbness is what made all the mistakes we got on the last 10 years.

Pretty much this.

To modify what mentioned.

PS2 won that generation because marketing. Microsoft also did well. Nintendo fucked up with it's marketing of the GCN and even being the cheapest console didn't help it in the long run.

Wii won that generation because marketing. PS3 launch price scared people off, also some of the "false" trailers from E3 2006 didn't help either (like Motorstorm/Killzone 2 trailers).

PS4 will win this generation because marketing. Wii U fucked up it's marketing.

Additional

NDS sold well because of it's marketing, while the PSP wasn't a failure (like some game journalists would want you to believe) it sales plummeted outside of Japan.

We need to talk, user.

No shit, because Wii was the only one in its shitty in-between gen.

because he is a fucking mascot and nothing more
children like mascots, adults prefer professionals

He's a visionary.

So why is nintendo the golden child of Holla Forums? Is it okay to criticize them yet?

newfag

Wii U is another attempt at Nintendo's effort to continue appealing to the casual audience they reigned in to buy another console. Despite casuals being casuals, they frequently fail to see the point on many practices that worked before.

stopped reading, sage for deluded nintoddler thread

Sin & Punishment 2 was pretty sweet, though

You can like or not like the Wii, but it crushed the other consoles so badly that nintendo is still trying to replicate it's success. It's simple numbers buddy.