Zara Pulls Not-Pepe Dress After People Complain That All Frogs Are Now Hate Symbols

Keyboard warriors have convinced international clothing company Zara to pull a limited-edition denim dress designed by Spanish pop artist Mario de Santiago, who goes by the name Yime. His sin? The dress featured two frogs.

According to the London-based artist—whose work is full of whimsical, cartoonish animals and figures—the idea for the frog dress "came from a wall painting I drew with friends four years ago." It was part of a collection of "Oil on Denim" design collaborations between Zara and independent artists, featuring images including four-eyed Japanese women, dying birds, smiley faces, panthers, skulls…and the ill-fated amphibians.

It seems that to folks on social media, the pair looked a little too much like Pepe, the innocent cartoon turned all-purpose meme turned alt-right mascot. During the 2016 election, Pepe earned the ire of no less than Hillary Clinton herself, as well as denunciation as a hate-group symbol by the quacks at the Southern Poverty Law Center.

It would be weird for a moderately high-end fashion brand to carry Pepe-themed womenswear, sure, but not necessarily an endorsement of anything (perhaps the designer's intention is to skewer the alt-right, reclaim Pepe, or simply use relevant pop-cultural images in their work). There are all sorts of ways once can read the appearance of Pepe in a decidedly non-Trump or non-alt-right-related context, and to those other than professional grievancemongers this should be apparent.

In any event, those who find the shirt distasteful are free to ignore it, thereby not heaping more attention on the offensive artist/company nor clogging up people's limited outrage capacity with things that make no goddamn material difference in the world.

The frogs on the Yime/Zara dress aren't even intended to portray Pepe, however. They don't look much like the alt-right icon in the first place, aside from general frogginess, and the artist has explicitly stated that "there is absolutely no link to the suggested theme."

Nevertheless, the social-media outrage persisted—prompting Zara to pull the skirt. While the rest of the Oil on Denim collection remains intact on the Zara website, the denim dress featuring frogs is nowhere to be found. Good job, internet liberals, you got huge clothing conglomerate to stop selling one of its few works benefiting indie creators! But at least you all got some Twitter faves, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/bmCWE
archive.fo/I6FbD
youtube.com/watch?v=qhCM0F81vEg
8ch.net/pol/res/9767196.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Zara pulls denim skirt over likeness to 'alt-right' mascot Pepe the Frog

Embroidered skirt draws condemnation on Twitter due to similarity to popular internet meme turned racist symbol

Zara has withdrawn a skirt with a frog design from its website after social media users noted its resemblance to Pepe, a cartoon popular with the so-called alt-right.

The denim skirt, embroidered with cartoon frogs wearing sunglasses, was being sold as part of the brand’s “festival edition”. But Twitter users were quick to point out its similarities to the Pepe cartoon:

Writer Meagan Fredette spotted the skirt and told Dazed: “My immediate thought was holy shit, they have no idea what they are doing here, do they?”

The original link to the skirt on Zara’s website now redirects to its front page.

A spokesperson for the company said the skirt has “absolutely no link” to Pepe or the alt-right.

“The skirt is part of the limited Oil-On-Denim collection which was created through collaborations with artists and is only available in selected markets,” the spokesperson said.

“The designer of the skirt is Mario de Santiago, known online as Yimeisgreat. Mario explores social interactions through his work and in his own words: ‘The idea came from a wall painting I drew with friends four years ago.’

“There is absolutely no link to the suggested theme.”

Don't get me wrong, this skirt is obviously ripped apart. Why would you sell damaged product?

hahahaha stupid fucking yids, keep making the apotheosis happen

This timeline, man.

You beat me to the punch and you got dubs! Congrats.

archive.fo/bmCWE

archive.fo/I6FbD

Faggot trends.

Wew

Spoiler that shit

wew

The nose knows!

From the second link.

My sides have left orbit

Fuck you, and fuck Red

Creepypasta of Godzilla? Would you mind clarifying?

Polite sage for offtopic.

Unmistakeable.

topkek

Anons, you're making me wonder if I should financially support this company…

That's actually a good response image!

I went looking for the creepypasta too. I remember this game from when I was a kid.

So from what I can tell Zara makes racist clothing to get free advertising when the outrage hits?

Jews really are fun creatures, getting outraged at frogs for no factual reason. Yet, the brand Boy London (do not buy, I repeat, do not buy this wigger shit) uses the Reichsadler, medias got on it for a bit during 2015 but the storm passed and the brand seems to still be using it to these day.
Best part of this brand is calling out niggers/normalfags wearing it on the street. If you see one wearing it, just tell him what the eagle represents and watch them try to process the information they've been wearing Ebil Natzees symbols in public for months.

People are so fucking stupid. That symbol has existed for millennia all around the world. I could understand the issue if there was a black, white, and red color scheme. Not fucking green though…

I will bet all my tendies she and her boyfriend have the "intellectual fetish".
Double or nothing she is a coalburner.

Fucking peasant.

Hey Zara whatcha doing

when you're losing this bad, these stupid little "victories" make them feel in control

Kek agrees

thats right. Keep your damn dirty hands off of Pepe!
it will soon be more acceptable to show muhammed than put a Pepe on something. tippety top

I call bullshit.

Here it is user.

It's long. But worth a read.

That's pretty fun news for us now isn't it?

its hard distilled autism. It seems like it would be a good scary story at a glance, but he goes on to describe the game mechanics, so unless you really remember playing this game as a kid, you probably arent going to care and just glace over 2-2000 paragraphs. it also gets cringier and less scary as the story goes on, like a 13 year old wrote the story and ran out of ideas in the middle.

Zara may be deliberately putting out and recalling "controversial" items to generate buzz. The average person will see the controversy as silly and contrived, and the whole thing may serve to bring in folks who may not have otherwise considered going into one of their stores.

Judging by how insane the current year is, I believe there will be a large push to ban all frog-related imagery. I think that will be the day when my sides finally phase out into a parallel universe.

IIRC, the only person to make it sound even partially interesting is Goji73 which would've been a lot better if he didn't use any jumpscares at all., and even then it's as good as background noise.

youtube.com/watch?v=qhCM0F81vEg

Zara isn't 'based' or your friend. Hungry beast covered that company a few years back now - they'll do anything for money.

kind of agree, it was interesting and had some cool ambiance but it would have been a lot better if they could have cut out 3-5 pages of it, although i have to give him kudos for making so much sprites. off topic sage

Well, that's unfortunate. I wear glasses because I need them. I've worn glasses for the last nearly 25 years. I usually choose fairly large heavy frames because i'm blonde and have fair eyebrows and I need something to break my face up a bit so I don't look like a white featureless blob.
I guess I don't do any of the other "problem" behavior. Can I get a pass?

Going by the name, it sounds like it started life as a welfare office. Why the fuck do people listen to these retards?

it's not any glasses, just hipster glasses. post tits or get out slut

Ahh, good ol' (((SPLC)))…

remember peepee poopoo pepe? The attempt at reclamation from normies? 2013-2015 had mass acceptance of pepe by normies, even celebrities like Nicki Minaj posting pepe memes.

But we did it. We successfully reclaimed a meme! PRAISE KEK!

W-winter chan?

Dare I say they are /ourlabel/?

Notice how the left always make an effort to "reclaim" symbols and words, yet the swastika is one that never gets that reclamation even though there is good religious and anthropological evidence to switch it away. A good troll campaign would be to try this reclaiming of the swastika and watch the jew freak the fuck out against leftists.

Look into it, it's biblical levels of judaism.

They all look like soulless fish or amphibians. Dead eyes and waxy skin.

it's the Insmouth look, they aren't human anymore

Aren't most vidya creepypasta shit? They always focus on game mechanics or lore to prove their gaymer cred and feature hyper realistic blood and the inability to turn off the game.

That makes more sense I guess. At one point in time these people's grandparents dare to consult with dark entities, and in return for their favors they'd agreed to give their daughters to wed with the Children of Dagon. Now we have to deal with their cursed offspring after so many generations.

Of course it's a fucking subhuman tranny twitter warrior who got the ball rolling.

#NotAllPepes

user we need to be printing up sheets and sheets of frog labels and sticking them everywhere. Hell we need to turn Kermit into a natsoc maymay, the pbs commies would shit their pants.

degenerates will degenerate

Yeah but she has it hiked up Ed Grimley style.

Just do with Kermit what the maskfags did with Guy Fawkes.

I took a look at their men's clothing and it's all really feminine hipster shit.

This is programming aimed at the 18+ autistic crowd.

for safety reasons

KEK

This gave me a good idea so I made a new thread

8ch.net/pol/res/9767196.html

Any younger fags want to chime in on this trend? I graduated in 07 and the women all wore nice attractive low cut shit. Everywhere I turn I see women wearing their pants and skirts up to their fucking tits like they were 80 year old grannies.

How in the fuck did this hideous style make a comeback? Who brought this shit back? I first started seeing chicks do it around 2010 or so but have no idea why.

I'm really torn, because on one hand, it was starting to get a little bit out of hand how little in the way of clothing women were wearing. But now the pendulum has swung way the fuck too far in the other direction.

Basically it seems like females said, "Oh you don't want me to look like I'm always wearing a bikini? OK, I'll pretend I live in a nursing home instead."

I want longer pleated skirts to make a comeback.

I'm guessing this won't happen because the public perception is that such outfits are sexual fetishes for creepy middle-aged fat men.

Also graduated in 07, feel the same way. Guess it's a generational/culture/fashion thing. Same with shaving only the sides of your head, problem glasses, and hipster fashion on general. Pissed me off because I grew up dirt fucking poor. If I dressed like a hipster because I was actually poor I'd be ridiculed, then sudenly one day faggots started doing it for attention and that made it cool. Fuck em. I've been wearing fitted dress clothes ever since I could afford it and I'm never going back. Dress for the job you want and all that. I think it's time fascism became fashionable.

I find that funny in a way, some would call it creepy then ignore all the impractically short skirts that show panties so easy and tiny shorty shorts that show everything

for visibility. We know these faggots will change what they do and like based on what we do and say we like.. so lets ruin some sacred cows.

That's the point. The fashion industry is run by the same kikes that run everything else. Stigmatize conservative clothing as being creepy and make revealing clothing that hookers would have been ashamed of 30 years ago fashionable.

First tay now this?

(((distinct Holocaust echoes)))

There is no logic to fetish.

White is pure faggot, now get out

wew

fuck frogs

So how rare do you reckon these pepes are now?

Dressing like you're from the 40's seems to be the thing these days. They're trying to appropriate the class of those women without realising their class came from the fact they weren't fucking whores.

I kek'd more than I should have.

Daily reminder
>>>/sudo/35194

Did RWSS die out? I remember reporting a few places in January.

RIGHT WING DRESS SQUADS

Anyone else think it's weird that the Paris shooting and the Sweden attack recently both occurred outside a Zara's?

Best tactic is probably laugh at the retards for believing into the ravings of an old demented biddy - "racist frog" does sound ridiculous, doesn't it?

Soon they will start the froggocaust.

What did you expect?

Should have read through the thread before replying.

(checked)

Indeed. Which is why we should be nazifying more innocuous things. I think racist game fish would be a good one.

Why are the Japanese continuing our cultural legacy better than we are?

get your fresh Pepe's here!

It looks like she just traced that old guy from the simpsons and colored it green.

we should bring it back

GREAT WHITE SHARK

Remember that not all SJW wear the glasses.

Oh god, we'll get the PETA vs SJW war over fucking frogs.

KEK

Nipster AF! Nazis have appropriated a bunch of mainstream clothing, new balance,Fred perry and stone island. Boy London should 100% be nipster fash. I'm gonna buy a t shirt or something.

This controversy can only be beneficial to our cause!

kekekek

It'snot a bug its a feature!!

kek

keep up the good work

"Pepe" in Tagalog refers to a woman's vagina.
Let that sink in.

Because Anime is god.

ALL FROGS ARE NOW HATE SYMBOLS ALL FROGS ARE NOW PEPE HAIL KEK HAIL KEK HAIL KEK

NEXT WE CLAIM Holla ForumsOs ARE RACIST!

In the 90s-early 2000s copying the style of the 70s was the in thing. Normalfags got burned out on that eventually so the fashion jews moved on to copying the 80s. I suspect Jncos and other 90s meme will make a return in the 2020s. We've already seen the 90s memes come back for people that lived through it to the point that normalfags born in the late 90s lay claim to it so it's only a matter of time.

Ok help me out her but isnt a Nazi stiyle swastika a 45° clock wise pointing swastika ina white circle and everything else just a normal religiouse symbol?

So in not being able to control meme magic or the true form of chaos, the kikes instead decide to try and defeat kek by banning imagery and representation of him. What a timeline we live in, when there's an ongoing legit crusade by the unhinged leftists and libs to eradicate and get rid of any and all frog imagery because "das hate symbol!"

THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS OP TALKING TO HIMSELF
WHAT ARE YOU SLIDING??
WHERE ARE THE MODS??

It's just a glitch.

Original.

remember that garbage dat boi which was an attempt to steal away memetic energies from pepe that normalfags thought was dank?

does anybody else get ben kenobi vibes from this?

Pepe will live forever.

Where can I buy one?

EmptyHero is in fine form.