All action games are either cuhrayzee over-the-top combo fests or mindless one-button mashers

And now we have Souls and their clones and derivatives. I think that was the core behind its popularity - something new, something that wasn't done properly before.
Well except it was, but you get the idea.

Now what I want is an action game that is something else, is there anything? You know back in the day there were several action games that all played differently - rune, jedi knight series, severance, one-off PS2 games.
But now everything is homogenized, you either rape your hands to juggle and enemy for SSS-rank or mash one button or play another Demon's souls clone.

Maybe, just maybe, you know something, that I don't? Maybe there are new games that aren't what I described above?

I can't even find bigger picture, what the fuck

You do realize you don't have to do that right?
Are you one of those retards who don't use items but then complain about difficulty anyway?

Play Ninja Gaiden Black and Zone of the Enders 2 if you want something different.

As for a recommendation, I suggest Stories: The Path of Destinies
Its a fairly simple with a combat system that is the middle ground between a Diablo clone and a DMC game.
Also play all the Prince of persia games from sands of time onwards(even the 2008 and Forgotten sands) if you haven't already. The 2008 one is not that great but it might suit your casual needs if you like button mashing and for Forgotten Sands the Wii version is the best if you don't want to play through two different games with the same name.

Oh, and god hand. This should be a given, however.

Also give Prototype a go. It's an open world game where you basically destroy everything.

in my dreams that's true

You mean you don't want to S-rank the stage?

I just wish Platinum weren't the go-to devs for action games. They're sprending themselves too thin by being almost the only action game dev in town.

Personally, I liked how the Souls games didn't care whatsoever about combo ranks and such. I actually like the cuhrazy wacky combat of Devil May Cry and its ilk a bit better, but I've never liked how games in the "cuhrazy" group also constantly nag me to kill everything fast with almost no pauses and all that. I don't particularly enjoy feeling like I need to focus on getting those high-rank combos at all times, doing so feels like more of an annoyance than fun, but if I ignore it I feel like I'm not playing the game right since it's always telling you your combo rank at all times. I'd rather the game just not keep track of that stuff either way, problem solved. Why does it even matter if you're wracking up big combos anyway? As long as you're killing the monsters and not getting killed yourself, that's what matters. Souls games got that decision right.

Blame publishers for getting rid of decent talent and replacing them for cheaper but much crappier talent under the same brand.

If you are complaining about something being too hard you don't deserve an S rank.
An S rank is not candy on halloween.

Meh, I'd enjoy Souls a lot more if they got rid of the stamina bar. I like the strategic element, but I hate how they take away movement from your character.

platinum is eager to take contracts up, I don't blame them. I think the problems with the more mediocre third party IP's they've been working on is a mix of time and money.

without the stamina bar the souls games would be terrible.

Great as an RPG, but terrible as an action game

they're pretty good, I don't consider them much as action games, but they're a unique tactical combat sort of game and it's something I appreciate.

Yes, Demon Souls and Dark Souls are very good.

The rest is piss.

I want an action game that's as fast as a DMC, but where all the enemies are moving as fast as the player and don't just mill around waiting for you to kill them, and aren't so spongey, also less about air combos I don't like air combos much. I liked bloodrayne a lot. There were so many kicks you could do.

I really don't understand why action games are so few and far between, you'd think it'd be the most common type of game

bloodborne was the peak of the style of game, dark souls 3 was very OK.

there's tons if you explore earlier generations.

Godhand is the game for you.

wew lad

DS 2 and 3 are utter shit though

Bloodborne is the only one I haven't played

guess I'll get it and go for a samurai build

Play God Hand

WAKE ME UP

CAN'T WAKE UP

Oh, it's got the best combat in the series. I think you'll love it. Just make sure you get the expansion DLC too. Really makes it feel like a proper, complete package.

I've always been amused by this dichotomy.

Easier to make games where people just shoot things instead.

I'd agree aside from how that guy said he didn't want spongey enemies. Granted, I think it's been about two years since I last played it, but I remember plenty of enemies in that game taking a LOT of hits.

On a side note, man do I wish that game had a new game+ style feature that let you roll your moves over to new playthroughs. I wouldn't even care about getting other stuff over again as long as I got to keep all the attacks I already unlocked, not being able to is the biggest reason I don't play it more. It doesn't even really make sense that it doesn't, other Capcom games of the time all had some degree of starting over while keeping your stuff. Devil May Cry let you keep everything.

god hand enemies take a good amount of damage until you get better. When you realize how to optimize, it becomes a game about combos, breaking guards, abusing broken guards and maximizing damage, all while managing multiple enemies in one of the best up close combat systems around. It's great how there's no lock on, but the rigidity of the camera and movement puts such a strong focus on managing your surroundings and tracking enemy behavior.

The Yakuza series of games are also excellent brawlers with lots of fun combat options.

There's no hard lock on like in DMC but there's subtle shit like very slight assistance after you land your first hit, and using the roulette menu to center on an enemy(the one you're targeting will flash a little bit).

fair enough, it feels good to play such a focused game is what I was getting at.

I'm gonna beat your ass joker

It's a TPS, but it felt like an action game to me, I might've just been playing a in a weird way. Going off of what I've seen, the other two are pieces of shit, though not to mention denuvo

Couldn't really find any videos really showcasing dodging or grapplespam because I guess everyone on youtube goes iiji moodo

1 was 5/10 imo, surprisingly comfy and it had its moments but the gunplay was awful, car handling was rather average and the grappling hook only hooked onto vehicles so you really had to use aircraft if you want to go too far off the reservation

3 is just 2 on a different map with somewhat better graphics and an equally cheesy retarded storyline

source: i have all just cause games 3 was a gift :^)

Man i can't keep up with the kids anymore.
During the PSX and first part of the PS2 era action games were generic and had no feedback

So the industry gives you musou.

So the industry gives you DMC3 and all the cuhrayze games.

So the industry gives you souls games.

Now you aren't happy with -any- of these solutions.
What the fuck do you even want anymore?

It's not one or the other. I've never asked for anything but well made games. We're in a pretty weak period of decent melee based games right now. The PS2 and Xbox still have the best ones. The idea that core gamers have wanted anything but simply games that weren't bad, always seems wrong to me.

I don't really count Souls games as the same sort of thing, either. Action RPGs have their own niche.

Who are you quoting?

Actionfags don't know the fuck they're talking about, as always.

You make it sound like cuhrayzee is a thriving genre. We've got DMC, Godhand, NG, Bayo and MGR. 'Action game' is an incredibly broad definition and cuhrayzee games are a drop in the ocean of action games that are out there.

Yeah you can finish DMC3 by spamming attack and trickster dodge buttons, but fun comes from mastering the system.

No, I like crazy action games, but I want something different too.

They are barely any different - both are your standard fate of stylish action games.

I don't like Godhand

I have the impression it falls under 1-button mashing game category. Am I wrong?

Obviously I was talking about melee combat system, not just "action" in general sense of the word.

I want something new, duh. And good. And fun. I want Jedi Academy 2 basically, not that shitty musou rip off. Or Oni 2. Goddamn I want proper Oni 2 so bad.

Reality.

Cuhrayzee IS a thriving genre.
You can add to your list

How about give us games that are not shit?

How many of those are good? I've seen Onechanbara gameplay but it looks more like a Dynasty Warriors style of game rather than a cuhrayzee one.

The truth?
It's shit at both and neither side is willing to cave on their position

I've played Odin's Sphere, Muramasa and Dragon's Crown.
Odin's - Bad gameplay, but they apparently totally remade the gameplay on the remake, so it might be good.
Muramasa - Felt too floaty for me, Wii controls didn't help too
Dragon's Crown - 10\10 beat'em up, one of the best games I've played.

Onechanbara is kind of a mix of both. With general combat you are just blending up hordes of zombies, but against bosses (or tougher enemies at higher difficulties) theres a much bigger focus on one-on-one combat. The ranking system heavily favours large combos and dealing obscene damage, but the bloody mechanic somewhat deters/mitigates the ability to simply spam the best attacks over and over. Lots of missions with challenges and shit which all unlock cosmetic items if you like that sort of thing. My main gripe is that it kinda lacks balance.

Also Bloodrayne Betrayal is god awful. Got it in a bundle and found within ten minutes enemies can spawn and shoot you from off-screen meaning you simply have to spam dodge to not die.

It felt too gimmicky and clunky in a bad sense. I dunno, DMC3 and Oni probably spoiled me too much.

Except Dark Souls is good at both.

If you want a game that is shit at both combat and role-playing aspect - try zelda.

Bloodrayne Betrayal is pretty good actually. Don't just fucking stand in one place like an idiot.

If you want a counterargument present an argument first.

The OP just said he doesn't like mastering the system. I pointed out its not the only way to play the game.

This is MEANINGLESS GENERIC BULLSHIT that doesn't help me understand what the fuck you actually want at all.

This is THE ONLY THING in this entire thread that helped me understand what you're actually talking about.
"fun" "new" "must be good" doesn't fucking mean anything, talk mechanics, actual gameplay mechanics, what you like in videogames or not.
Generic shit like "i want games tu be gud lul" is reddit tier shit, we talk mechanics here, if you don't like or like something, be specific, this is fucking Holla Forums, you're assumed to talk like you've played video games your entire life and know what the fuck you're talking about when it comes to games in detail.

By bringing up JA it means that you specifically like mouse and keyboard oriented action games, such as Rune, Severance Blade of Darkness, American Mcgee Alice, Die by the Sword.

The short answer is that your need can't be satisfied right now for the most part as action games are tied to the use of a controller, and have been for a number of years, so any evolution or deviation from the current standards still tend to revolve around the use of a controller to play.

However there's still Mount & Blade that uses a system you might like, and in terms of indies there's at least two titles that aim to use the mouse to move around your sword in real time, with physics based combat.
I can't remember their names as i haven't kept up with em much, but i'm sure some other user here will know what i'm talking about.

Would this be considered an action game? I would say it's not too simple and definitely not too complex.

Same developers of Die by the Sword so yeah, it's the type of "stiff" pre-souls prototype action games that the souls series then took inspiration from.

yeah right, like opening a shortcut or turning Anor Londo dark? or getting that sick edgy ending? there are many interesting NPCs, I'll give you that, but there is almost no interaction at all. there are just a couple of interesting and enduring quests and that's basically it. you just listen to the NPCs talk the whole game, without ever getting the chance to talk yourself. the combat can be fun, yeah, but dark souls is NOT an rpg, why is that so hard to get?

>Lots of different stats that all actually have an impact on the way you play the game except resistance because fuck that shit