Is there any reason to own this instead of a PS2 or PS3?

Is there any reason to own this instead of a PS2 or PS3?

yeah that five

What kind of shitty thread is this

What kind of useless non-answer without dubs is this

Well, there's some compatibility issues with some PS1 games on the PS2 and the PSIO is pretty nice.

Not that I know of. PS1 games emulate very well in general, too, so there's that.

SCPH-1001

I own 5 PSOnes and 2 PSX consoles, :^)

There's some hardware that only works with the brick PS. Such as pic related.
Otherwise, no. There are some PS games that have issues with PS2/3s, but nothing serious. Also, you can pick up PSs for about $5-10, so I guess they're cheaper? Check out your nearest thrift store and you're bound to find some. But even slim PS2s aren't expensive, though, so this doesn't really matter.

Depends… do you want to play the greatest kart racing game of all time?

(is a faggot)
Is there any reason to not spin the wheel of derailment?

but that game runs perfectly fine on PS2 and PS3.

top tier taste though

Or you could just emulate it.

authentic experience or authentic speedrunning.

This is also a good option. PS emulation is great. You'll have to mess around with settings for some games, but nothing too complicated.

This. There are a few cases where some equipment only runs on PS1, but otherwise there's practically no reason to get a PS1 over a PS2 other than collecting.
Last I checked in my local chain thrift store, you could find a PS2 slim for $20, a PS1 for $10.

PS2 and PS3 make the games look better and load faster. PS1 of course, offers a faithful experience on the other hand. Plus all the peripherals, there's lots of good reasons to play on a PS1, but I'd suggest it most if you have a CRT TV. I feel a bit mixed about RGB or composite on the PS1, however. A lot of games use a dithering overlay that looks pretty bad without the blurring composite offers. Something like MGS1 looks notably better with composite picture. Composite also helps smooth out FMVs and even aliases due to the blurring.

Seems a good alternative would be to turn on image smoothing on the PS2/PS3 with component/HDMI out.

Some people seem to love to mod them and make them into pretty rad CD players for audiophiles.

That looks really cool.

Depends, if you have a PS2 not really, there are very few games that don't work properly on a PS2, if you have a PS3 though you might want to consider it as the emulator on the PS3 is pretty meh and a PS3 uses a whole lot more power than a PS1 will.

Nope, the PS3 is straight up no improvement emulation except shittier than mednafen.

Nah, PS1 emulation is perfectioned

If you have a toaster that can't run PS2 emulation, buy a PS2.

I wouldn't say PS1 emulation is perfect. There are still some games I get game breaking bugs on from a bad ISO rip, and can't seem to find others anywhere.

Same thing for a bunch of PS2 titles, people seem to be really bad at ripping ISOs correctly.

PS2 has a lot more games. Feel free to skip the PS3 though.

You do know that's it's not the job of the emulator to repair your fuckups, right?

Well now you're just being bad.

Running the game and not being able to continue because the game crashes, or I can barely move is not my fault. I didn't just sit there and say "oh well" either, I searched around trying to debug.
No not really. Obscure titles usually have one upload across multiple mirrors. I end up getting the same ISO over and over.

If the Playstation is a SCPH-1001/2: you have a high-end CD player on your hands.

Any reason to own any of those?

wasn't this rumor proven false?

user plz

If only there were centralized uploads/torrents where every single rip is verifed.
:^)

PSXe has only ever accepted ISOs on my system, so unless you have a better program that's what I'm stuck using.
Verified doesn't mean shit. All "verified" means is someone downloaded the file, saw if it launched, and tagged it verified. Most do not take the effort to play through the entire game to see if the rip is actually 100%.

mednafen

No. You can emulate it on your PC. Alternatively a decent number of good PS1 games are up on PSN.

Every single PSX emulator worth using takes .bin/.cue and that includes ePSXe even if I don't find it worth using but that's another debate

Granted they're not guaranteeing 1:1 copies but you will most likely never get a problem with a .bin/.cue/.sbi that match their database

PSXe has always crashed from .bin files for me even after fresh installs. Maybe it's something on my system that doesn't like them.
Nice excuse. Like I said, most titles are fine, but it's the obscure games that generally are bug ridden. Especially with PS2 titles.

Problem with owning the original console is getting games.

Good luck finding copies of FF6, Xenogears and Suikoden.

You're supposed to load the .cue, make sure you've grabbed the latest ePSXe version (2.xx)

I say that because .bin/.cue has limitations that precludes it from being able to be a 1:1 copy of a PS1 game, doesn't matter anyways since they do not have any .iso dumps for PS1 therefore any .iso dump for PS1 doesn't match their db and is likely shit.

I figured it out. Apparently, .bin was associated with Snesx9…which was uninstalled, but not in the registry. So every time I clicked on a .bin/cue it would try to launch Snesx9 and give no error because nothing was there.

Makes sense why there are always slight graphical errors with those file extensions.

No. Mednafen emulation is spot on.

The quality of the dump has nothing to do with small graphical errors, that's on the emulator itself, and seeing as you're using ePSXe it's not that surprising since not even the included software renderer is accurate (amidog plugin is more accurate than the mednafen renderer though)

Bad dumps cause crashes / missing audio / missing FMVs / freeze loop / misplaced audio / AP triggerring.

I see, thanks for the knowledge dump. No pun intended.

PS2 games on a PS3 do load faster. Soul Calibur 3 loads lighting fast compared to loading on a PS2. That I know from own experience.

Yeah there are barely any loading times and ofcourse no disk swapping on PS3.

There is absolutely no reason to play PS1 games on the original hardware. Unless you're a nostalgia hipster.

The PS2 and PS3 both have a handful of games they can't play. Slim PS2s are even worse.