Vertigo announces THE SANDMAN UNIVERSE of spinoffs curated by Neil Gaiman

VERTIGO FIRES THE FIRST SALVO OF ITS 25TH ANNIVERSARY!
THE SANDMAN UNIVERSE #1
Plotted by Neil Gaiman and written by Si Spurrier, Nalo Hopkinson, Dan Watters and Kat Howard
Art by Bilquis Evely
Cover art by Jae Lee
Variant cover art by Bilquis Evely
Daniel, the lord of Dreams, has gone missing and it causes chaos in the kingdom of dreams…A rift between worlds has opened, revealing a space beyond the Dreaming. Meanwhile, A book from Lucien’s library of all the unwritten books ever dreamed is discovered by a group of children in the waking world. Simultaneously, a new House appears—the House of Whispers—joining the Houses of Secret and Mystery in the Dreaming. Its proprietor is a fortune teller called Erzulie, whom the inhabitants of the Dreaming suspect may be responsible for all the strange goings on. Elsewhere, Lucifer has fallen again, only this time he might be in a Hell of his own design. And in London, a young boy named Timothy Hunter sleeps, in his dreams he becomes the world's most powerful magician, but in his nightmares, he becomes the world’s worst villain, which future will become reality?
From the mind of Neil Gaiman, a new world filled with dreams and nightmares, all of his wonderful characters living together in a shared universe for a story unlike anything we’ve ever seen before.
On sale 8/8/18

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=im20USjMyqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

THE DREAMING
Written by Si Spurrier
Art by Bilquis Evely
Cover by Yanick Paquette
There is a place where gods are born and stories are spun. But twenty-three years after he was anointed as its master, Dream of the Endless has inexplicably abandoned the dreaming. His absence triggers a series of crimes and calamities which consume the lives of those already tangled in his fate, among them Lucien the librarian, Matthew the Raven, and Dora, a monstress without memories. But while they struggle to restore the King to his throne, they face intrigues from within and conquest from without. As usurpers circle the defenceless domain and an impossible shadow awaits its own birth beside a rip in reality, the denizens of the Dreaming play out their stories of loss and love, resignation and resistance.

HOUSE OF WHISPERS
Written by Nalo Hopkinson
Art by TBA
Cover by Sean Andrew Murray
Latoya is in a coma. Her girlfriend enlists the help of Latoya’s two younger sisters. Using the Book of Whispers, they mistakenly steal the essence of Erzulie, a deity of voodoo mythology. The psychic blowback of the spell causes her house to crash into the Dreaming, beside the Houses of Secrets and Mystery and their custodians, Cain and Abel.
In the real world, the awakened young woman suffers a mystical form of Cotard’s Delusion—she believes she is already dead, and she’s transmitting her belief to others, causing them to become guardians of the Gap that has appeared in the Dreaming.

LUCIFER
Written by Dan Watters
Art by TBA
Cover by Goni Montes
A few years ago, the devil vanished. Some people say he died or simply ran away, while others believe he never existed at all. But we aren’t some people. No. This is the one true story of what happened to the Prince of Lies, the Bringer of Light—Lucifer, the blind, destitute old man, who lives in a small boarding house in a quiet little town, where nothing is quite what it seems and no one can leave. He’s trapped, you see? Trapped in a bizarre prison with no memory of how he got there or why. Meanwhile in Los Angeles, a dying policeman believes his suffering may be a call to a divine mission—one that draws him towards revelations regarding the devil himself.

BOOKS OF MAGIC
Written by Kat Howard
Art by TBA
Cover by Kai Carpenter
Timothy Hunter may be destined to become the most powerful magician in the universe, but he’s still a London teenager and having magical abilities complicates things more than it helps. It's not like he can use magic to pass his exams, stop being bullied, or convince his cute friend to date him. And while Tim’s trying to live his life, there are cultists who want to kill him, believing his power will eventually corrupt him, and turn him into a merciless mage. Oh, and those are the good guys. Luckily, his new substitute teacher is more than she appears, and may be able to help Tim discover the mystery behind the Books of Magic…

Thanks to The Beat for providing covers with no watermarks and the names of the cover artists of all but one of these spinoffs.

More information will be announced this Saturday at Vertigo's ECCC panel; here's the first batch of concept art and designs.

Due to filesize limit, DREAM.

Tiffany Turill made the second pic; the rest of the promo art pieces are shown but DC/Vertigo gives no credit to the makers of these (who work mainly outside the comic book industry). That's disrespectful to them.

Announcement video: hooktube.com/watch?v=im20USjMyqQ

The guy that jam-packed the latest Shadow series with fucking SJW propaganda? Wonderful.

Those ideas sound terrible, is Gaiman that short of cash he needs these unnecessary sequels?

he's certainly that short of ideas. he hasn't an original one in over a decade

"Hey, this one thing was popular because it had an interesting idea, quality art and writing and is a complete story"
"Obviously, to replicate this success we need to give it a fuckload of unwanted, unending sequels"

Faggot behind new Shadow and some of the worst Judge Dredd.

Novelist who never wrote a comic and focuses on post-colonial and African-American themes.

Another writer involved with the most recent Shadow series.

Gaiman's crony, a fairly inexperienced writer with two novels with generic premises under her belt. Never wrote a comic before.

It will most likely be shit. Only good think about it so far is Bilquis Evely. He is a decent artist, but will probably be wasted on the nu-Shadoow hack's story.

Gaiman had I think two new show adaptations, so he probably needs rent money. They probably won't be good
You know, considering how easy it would be I'm surprised he hasn't decided to make a comic version of Stardust
There's a lot of potential that's sort of just being thrown to the wayside

more like rentboy money but yeah

We're in an age of cannibalization, my friend.

Haven't they suffered enough?

Fuck, I guess not.

Why. It was damn near perfect.

You know why.

With Berger gone and Len Wein dead, I was actually hoping DC would leave the horror hosts alone. That was naive on my part.

Whyever for?

What's the reading order for Sandman?
I downloaded what I believe to be the entire works, but was confused by all the side stories.

Should it be main series > spin-offs or main series and spin-offs as they come up, ala chronological order.

It won't go well

In general it's best to read the spinoffs after the main series. They don't interact with each other (and take place anachronistically), so you won't get confused, but since they were made after or during the main series run, they expect you to already be familiar with the world/characters/rules.
Read the main series (TPBs 1-10, issues 1-75) and Endless Nights, The Dream Hunters, and Overture afterwards if you want more. They're fully standalone, but make references to concepts mentioned all over the main series.
There's the two Death standalone spinoffs, The High Cost of Living and The Time Of Your Life, who both happen after the main series. You should at least have read up to TPB 5, A Game Of You, for those. Dream: At Death's Door is a different perspective retelling of TPB 4, Season of Mists. The Little Endless Storybook can take place at any moment after TPB 7, Brief Lives.
The Dreaming is a direct sequel with minor characters from the main series in the spotlight. Read the whole main series first if you're tackling this one.
Lucifer takes place after TPB 4 (Season of Mists), but after that can be read at any time.

For completion's sake I'll mention that The Sandman makes a few blink-and-you'll-miss-it references to Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, but you're not missing anything of value if you haven't read it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you might be too stupid for comics.

ECCC 2018 Vertigo panel attendees were given free digital codes for Neil Gaiman's The Sandman #1-75. That's all from there.

Overture is also the only good Sandman prequel.

A next era all right. An era of zombification for their corporate overlords.

The Gentry won bro.

I didn't even like Ouverture because the artist took like 4 months between issues and then every issue had absolutely nothing interesting besides a few lines of dialogue.
The whole thing about Sandman being successful was about Gaiman having complete control about the story, the happenings and, this is important, the ending.
Making the whole series come back from the dead is just sad and giving it to another writer on top of that? Just terrible.
The high point of the series was Morpheus dying and nothing will ever come close to that because writers nowadays can't develop a character for their lives.

DC needs those IPs. That's why they brought Watchmen back as well. They're cannibalizing their past output to stave off making anything new.

Personally, I find it very disheartening. I may not have liked much of Vertigo's output, but appreciated the risks it took to expand the medium. Having that imprint devolve into another franchise farm for DC is a dire referendum on comics.

I disagree. It's not that writers can't develop characters, it's that they're not allowed to develop characters. That shit gets in the way of prostitution.

That may be so for cape comics but Vertigo titles usually had some development because the stories were self-contained and had an ending.

No shit. But that was the Vertigo of yesterday. The Vertigo of today is just another branch of the Warner's IP empire, which is why all of the new stuff is coming from alternative publishers, some even from Vertigo's former executives.