CHRISTOPHER PRIEST TALKS ABOUT BEING BLACK IN COMICS

archive.fo/4O5SA

An interesting read, especially:

That actually fills in a few gaps about the comic industry's hiring practices.

Explains why Marvel got a deluge of bad talent.

It just goes to show how utterly inept the Big Two are at market research. They thought twitter opinions meant something.

>Be Black

Oh fuck that noise. You want to talk about racism in comics, start with this and the fucking loud minority of twitter posters.
< Discrimination is good as long as it falls under POC's favor
< Yeah, you only get to write about black characters and only black characters, but a job's a job amrite? :^)
Holy shit Big Two, what are you doing?

KILL TWITTER

I would love to see what sort of shit they would say to you if they think you're not writing the characters "black" enough.

Decent dude, would buy a beer.

They're doing exactly what Twitter asked for. Twitter wants diverse creators writing "diverse" characters. Having them write "normal" characters defeats the purpose.

Think about America for a moment. She's a lesbian Latino character. To appease Twitter, Marvel did a fucking manhunt find a lesbian Latino author to write that comic and found Gabby Rivera, who only wrote ONE book before this gig. That's just nuts.

If you expand this across Marvel's comics, it becomes clear that any successes they had were amazing flukes. Like Ms. Marvel. People can bitch about that book, but G. Willow Wilson has experience writing comics. BUT THEY DIDN'T HIRE HER FOR HER EXPERIENCE. THEY HIRED HER BECAUSE THEY WANTED A MUSLIM WRITING A MUSLIM.

WHAT THE FUCK MAN?

McDuffie had a comment about that.

I like this man, I'm gonna go read his novel.

If you kill Twitter won't the same dumbasses just find another platform?

(heiled)
FINALLY
Jesus Christ, it took this long for someone to finally say it outright in public? This has to be spread, people who buy comics don't fucking want REPRESENTATION or DIVERSE WRITERS or whatever the fuck despite what those dipshits on Twitter say, they want good fucking comics.

Fucking a. I doubt I'd agree with Priest on most shit, but I love this dude. He's always cut through this type of bullshit.

Jim Shooter was too good for Marvel.

Think Twitter's already dying; think everyone are just gonna jump to Vine or whatever.

Pretty sure multiple people have pointed it out.

How many of them work in comics?

Maybe it's just that he's the first black person to say it.

Pretty sure there are a few black people who have said it too.

Bottom line, nobody's gonna listen to Priest or anyone else. They might even accuse him of internalised racism or some other bullshit

Fucking hell, I was wondering why I wasn't seeing his name these days. Dammit I liked Priest's work too.

Hey if they can't trot you out for a con panel so you can talk about your blackness you're obviously worthless to them. May as well hire a white person in that case!

This fucking industry needs to die already so we can start from scratch.

The 70s-80s were full of black nerds writing nerd media. What the fuck happened?

Kys cuck

Rich white liberal cronyism. You know, the loudest cunts about race? They don't live around or know anyone who isn't one of them, but they are mostly the people they hire. Some Asians, dot Indians, or well off Muzzies can make their way in, but not blacks.

They're listening and giving credit to loud, obnoxious minorities who don't represent their customers. That's what they're doing. Why? I don't know, maybe for propaganda purposes, maybe to avoid bad press even if this means enfuriating their customers.

was for

That's where he's wrong. They could write the best stories ever. Hell, they could write Punisher killing all those mongrels, muslims, lesbians and spics and I still would not return to Marvel. I'm too burned for it to stick.

It's not minorities, it's white liberals

I wrote minorities but that's what I had in mind, not minorities in a ethnic sense.

Because DC and Marvel are fucking retarded. Remember in the 2000s when DC came out with a Raven book and billed it as "EMO"? Remember when Marvel came out with a book based on a fucking meme?

Social media has allowed them to stream-line that retardation into the most incompetent kikery the world has ever seen.

They make the classic Boomer mistake of not knowing how the internet works. They think twitter is a demographic slice, that facebook is the murmuring of America in its sleep. Instead of understanding that demographic filtering has been going on since day one now each platform represents a subculture and is in no way reflective of the sensibilities and desires of the population as a whole

You dont honestly buy this bullshit story, do you? The job was always gabbys, its naked cronyism, they just needed a pretext for hiring her and so went through this elaborate ruse, "oh, twitter's demanding this guess we gotta do it." Same thing they tried with eve ewing but she couldnt conceal her naked hatred of comics fans and spilled her spaghetti before the ink had time to dry.

Is his Deathstroke run any good?

It's actually one of the few Rebirth runs I've read that I don't like. The writing makes it very unclear on the passage of time.

Yes, I do. It completely lines up with everything the Big Two have done for the last three decades. It's incompetent, horribly mismanaged, and painfully out of touch. It makes complete sense.

Its neat.

Because whites will be a minority in America by the year 20XX, so they're making the same move that the Democratic Party made politically in doubling down on brown. They want to have established characters with established arcs that represent what they see as New America. Especially for when they adapt them to movies, comics nowadays are just an IP farm. Unfortunately for them, their existing audience still exists and is responding to this bullshit by jumping ship every single month. If they were smart, they'd basically have everyone new look like some racially ambiguous mystery meat like the Rock, which is what you see all over the place in shitty movies that perform well at the box office.

This is how you can identify the "stormy normie" when they enter a thread. They make statements that anyone with knowledge of the subject being discussed can recognize as false.

In this example, he refers to an "existing audience" in comics. The only thing that could be considered an "existing audience" in comics are the hardcore fanboys that have been slowly going extinct since the 2000's due to old age and death. No one on Holla Forums, not even the oldest of oldfags who remembers characters like "Nameless", could be considered comics "existing audience".

Too little too late.

Never knew that came out in the 2000's. It reminds me of her Rebirth costume.

I like it. It's pretty well handled.

Pretty sure everyone that got fired because they cost too much and/or don't hit the diversity points said it and as we all know; includes skilled minorities and women. Probably the only reason this one got reported on is because Marvel may be getting out of the game of killing themselves.

That's an awful lot of bullshit fluff just to call him a stormfag.

I seize on any opportunity to discuss the insane world of the comic book industry.

Have you learned nothing in the past few years?

I said "may"; I won't be invested in anything they say until Cebulski shows concrete proof over a long consistent period of time.

Oh child. You're talking about the same company that destroyed comic distribution in the West. They're always looking for ways to kill themselves.

It doesn't, though. It's easy to think that everyone at Marvel and DC is an out-of-touch moron it's even easier to realize that they're actually not and are simply using the cover of identity politics to do their usual crony bullshit.

"Crony bullshit" in the comic industry is shit like DC keeping Eddie Berganza on staff despite a decade of sexual harassment allegations or how Bendis kept getting work from Marvel despite being reviled. It's usually shit involving the old guard.

So unless you got some sources, I'm going to say you're full of shit.

It's also shit like DC/Marvel hiring one of their good buddies and then pretending that they are just some random fag off Twitter.

Come on, user, you're smarter than this.

You do realise that a good portion of their editorial is staffed from ComicsAlliance and other, similar places?

Why did Mcduffie have to die again?

He was a black man. Black people don't generally get to be 65

That doesn't really hurt the other anons argument. The cunts from CA and the like would hire someone because of their race/sexuality just as easily as they would their friends.

More proof that liberals are racist, they treat non-whites like children who need to be pandered and looked after.

The racism of low expectations

McDuffie would be OK if it weren't for his weird cuck fetish. The whole DCAU retardation where John Stewart was a human dildo and Hawkgirl was literally just DCAU Wonder Woman with a BBC fetish was apparently his idea.

It's called nigger dick, user

You have to use the brown ink.

Again, do you got some fucking evidence for that or not? Because Marvel hiring some fat feminist lantinx lesbian to write a feminist lantino lesbian book makes sense if all they're doing is reading twitter comments. It's in character for these dumbasses to make decisions like that.

Seriously, the way you're going about it I'm expecting you to explain how Chemtrails factor into this.

From ComicsAlliance, the only people Marvel hired are Chris Sims and Kate Leth, neither in editorial positions.

Don't start spinning conspiracy theories because you can't believe this whole thing was caused by the Big Two being massive idiots.

Jews aren't white, user.

Hey look, its the politics obsessed autist.

Hit-Monkey was a meme?

I'm in the exact same boat, except with cartoons, animation and screenwriting I'm more of a cartoon guy than a comic guy. I want to entertain and have fun bringing my ideas to life. That's it.

What is it; tinder, the young people are all on these days?

Last time I checked, some new wannabe facebook replacement got popular for a few days, then the app turned out to be broken and the owner was a scamartist or something and it died immediately.

You mean Vero right? I don't know what the fuck was up with that, everyone was making an account on it but no one would say what was so special about it. Turns out nothing was special about it. Everyone was just following the trend and making one because someone else made one.

Everyone desperately wants to abandon facebook, twitter, and google, but no one can get shit together enough to do it and normalfags need years to catch up with current trends anyways.

Lainchan might yet save us. They're always working on some shit.
It's just an equation of autism v.s. weed if anything gets finished..

There's MINDS that's kind of a Facebook alternative.

Minds is already having problems with bots and the overall feel of the site is pretty awful because the largest injection of users they got came from Sargoy's little faggot brigade and a few other internet skeptic/political commentators.

Well thats a shame. I was having some hope for some alternatives.

Based off of siblings of my acquaintances, high school kids are all about snapchat nowdays.

It's a kafkatrap. The way the arguments are set up assumes that people disagreeing are on the other side and want there to be no minorities. By making the stories revolve around those issues, people can't speak up without being on the other side.

The problem is even deeper than that: It gives even more power to the reasonable minorities and assumes a subsidiary role for white people (specifically men) because blacks, muslims, and ect. have free reign to say what they want. It means the opposition is still defined by minorities instead of just the people who can actually write well, which can include minorities.

Even if the industry is changed by Priest, it'll still just be minorities calling the shots because white liberals decided to emasculate themselves.