Why are Visual Novels and Walking simulators "not games"? I've heard before that "games require failure states"...

Why are Visual Novels and Walking simulators "not games"? I've heard before that "games require failure states", could you guys provide explanation of that statement and list other traits that are required that makes something a game?

Oh hey, a dubs thread. Needed one of those.

Games need to be at least 83% fun.

Why? It was a honest question.

Visual novels are games.

- t. Mark

Great thread.

It's been over-discussed.

The failure state argument is retarded. Unless people are willing to argue that point-and-click adventures or puzzlers aren't games. But that's not going to stop people from bringing it up for the nth time.

Wow great dubs sexy guy

It has nothing to do with a failure state although a failure state is required in most games. Games at their core are toys, and like toys they test your mind and reflexes. Puzzle games are to test your pattern recognition, ability to think, and many other things. Games like patformers, and fighters test your reflexes, hand to eye coordination, and many other things. Toys like games help to develop your mind and body, although as for your body it is mostly reaction time. This is why visual novels and walking simulators are not games in and of themselves. They lack the ability to develop your abilities

Not to mention that you could count bad ends as failure states. A better criterion for a game is that a game should be challenging in some way, but that's a bit subjective.

Walking simulators have become my favorite rising genre.

Firewatch is the most interesting one to me. The story isn't of much consequence and they tactically distanced you from the characters just a tiny bit, when they could have gone full on super serious with it. It reminds me of a shitty 80s action movie or 70s horror in the way its executed. It's technically not that good but it's still filled to the brim with charm. Also really short.

Look at all these TRIGGEREDs in this thread. Some of these are autismos that literally stop everything they are doing to le sage downvote any discussion of walking simulators. Go read a book, kids.

Visual novels and walking sims are in a bit of an odd area, since VNs have a good amount of /lit/ ancestry and walking sims are the battered stepchildren of Holla Forums, while vidya games are more closely related to /tg/ and /toy/.
I even drew a chart for your convenience.

I think that's a wax doll with wiring in it as modeled after that one character from Futurama it's been years and I forget her name.

Just like a painting is a showing of an artists skill. A game is only a game when it shows off the player's skill.

The filename doesn't ask what it is, it says the user doesn't know what to name the filename..

You disgust me.

The way I see it:
the question has been pushed by journalists while they try to market the likes of Gone Home, etc.

Image is something I have on my drive.

Mark is a jew, therefore he is interested in degrading the quality of games.

VIDEO GAME != INTERACTIVE VIDEO

The term game implies a form of competition. With the competition aspect taken out, it wouldn't be a game.

When SJW filth say they want video games to "mature" and "progress" and "expand", they mean they want games to become dumbed down movies.

categories can intersect (i.e. stealth games, puzzle games, etc)

Visual novels aren't games, they're basically e-books with pictures and interactive parts not saying that's a bad thing, I happen to like VNs, others don't, to each their own.
Walking sims are basically the same with less content, which they make up for by having you rummage around in an empty house, or in the case of proteus an empty island.
Whilst I'm here can someone please explain to me what the fucking point of proteus was because I still don't get what the fuck you're supposed to do with it. To me it looks like some tech demo fly around that some faggot put together in 5 minutes and called it a day.