Somehow I haven't seen a thread where we complain about awful/ stupid things happening in capeshit besides whatever's...

Somehow I haven't seen a thread where we complain about awful/ stupid things happening in capeshit besides whatever's posted in the "overpowered" thread.

As a comic newcomer I'd be interested in that, too - like the good old classics. Girlfriend in fridge. The Blob eating someone. All that.

Anyone interested?

How about that time Wolverine regenerated from a direct nuclear explosion that burned him down to his skeleton. Somehow he can come back from that but can't survive drowning. Or how about that time Jeff Loeb Magneto killed off half of the Ultimate Marvel cast just because he was depressed about his son.

The ending of this movie baffles me. For one Joker is implied to be a lost cause. Then Red Hood gives Batman an ultimatum to either kill Hood or let him kill the joker, Batman says no, so the logical thing would be for Hood to shoot Joker and end this bullshit, but for some reason Hood decides he wants to shoot batman now and Batman maims Hood's fucking hand all to save Joker. Why?
I don't know much about the actual comic besides that instead of maiming Hood's hand he throws a batarang at Hood's neck.

(OP) (You)

OP here, contributing bs from the New52 Batman Capullo comics, which I mostly bought for the art and which made me start reading western comics. There's some really stupid things happening which are hard to swallow (besides the Joker face/off situation).

1. Clayface copies Bruce Wayne and that way copying the Batman suit underneath his suit, that way finding out his secret identity. He robs a bank, revealing Batman's secret identity to everyone, yet Bruce still manages to fool everyone in that super suspicious situation.
2. Batman has a device that projects holographic masks over faces, but barely uses it. He only uses it so that it seems Batman and Joker fight together at the beginning of the issue, but it's really just a mask worn by Dick Grayson.
3. Batman fights a mech owned by the GCPD which somehow gets the Joker color palette on it's own between panels and even he's like "What the hell happened?"
4. Joker, Bloom and Riddler each completely destroy Gotham and the JLA didn't help. Seriously, does anyone know the reason? Were they busy?
5. Joker implying that Batman doesn't kill him because he loves him. Basically what happens in the Lego Batman Movie. That might be Joker's foolery of the day, but considering he's supposed to be more serious and edgy in New52, that might not be a joke.
6. Batman has a device that sends people through tons of virtual, alternate realities as Batman, basically training them to be Batman. I think it was even meant for clones of Bruce after his death. Yes - VR makes you a buff super hero.
7. Bruce and Joker survive the whole Batcave crashing down on them but have amnesia.
Also: There was a Lazarus Pit below the Batcave all along.
8. Joker knew Batmans identity all along, but just killing Bruce was too boring for him. I like the idea but it's way too far fetched with that character.
8. Joker kills several armed cops in the GCPD with his bare hands by breaking their necks. You might argue he does it in complete darkness, but he doesn't wear night goggles or anything.
9. Mr. Freeze's backstory got completely ruined in New52 because his frozen wife is a foreigner he fell in love with. That she's his wife is only in his mind.
10. Joker gets his face cut off. Puts it back on for the whole "Death of the Family" series. He gets his face punched off by Batman, some girl finds it, declares herself Daughter of Joker, and it was a whole spinoff of her wearing the face, which still hasn't rotten away. It's so dumb.

Wolverine also almost died by being poisoned.

Man of Steel #25 - After being dead for thirty issues, and without any build-up or explanation, Superman suddenly returns via being shit out of a giant robot.

TBH, breaking up the Kyle/Jade romance was worse than the fridge incident.

And that's because Bruce straight up told him.

Seriously, Snyder's run on Batman was fucking shit.

Lurk moar fagget.

Storytime it then nigger.

Becasue killing the joker is the bad thing. No matter what
That's why even after he kidnaped 100 infants and killed Esseden, Gordon still didn't shoot him

The fuck are you on about user?

How is it he can come back from being vaporized to dust and ash but being drowned in a puddle can kill him for good?!

Given his plot armor, I'm not sure killing him would do anything but take him out of commission for a few issues. That does make me wonder though; out of DC's heroes who actually kill, has anyone stayed dead?

That's one I can't get over. Batman is characterized as being the super detective who could probably tell who's walking near him by the shoe squeak frequencies he memorized. Batman is also characterized as being overly paranoid. Yet this person, along with Dick Grayson never noticed that he had a molar with a company logo on it.

I also didn't like how Snyder made the Joker into some sort of immortal boogieman that knows that Jim's been hiding cigarettes under his bed.

Stop trying so hard.

I actually got Red Hood's actions here (probably because of my own daddy issues). It does get muddled because Red Hood is still fighting crime before this, so it easy to assume that he still cares about bringing justice to the criminals as much as he does confronting Bruce about the continuing Joker conundrum. Now that I think about it, my guess for that is to misdirect from the reveal. Maybe it is just my bias, but Jason's motivation is about the anger he feels towards Bruce being unwilling to kill the Joker over family, rather than justice. Some lines from the final confrontation that I think support this:

"I thought I'd be the last person you'd ever let him hurt."
"If it had been you [Bruce] that he [Joker] had beat to a bloody pulp I would sent him off to hell"
"Why?! I'm not talking about killing Penguin, or Scarecrow, or Dent. Just him and doing it because he took me away from you."

For Jason, at least in this moment, killing Joker is meaningless. It is about the fact that Bruce doesn't love Jason as much as he loves Bruce. Perhaps it is more accurate to say that Bruce is unwilling to sacrifice as much for Jason as Jason will sacrifice for Bruce.

Reminder that Calendar Man is no longer a guy who plans crimes according to the dates, but is now some sort of mutant that gets old, dies at the end of the year, and is reborn again at the start of each year young again.

Also, speaking of dumb Batman shit, remember when Batman found out that the Joker was three people? Did that go anywhere at all?

Not yet, but Doomsday Clock is apparently going to address it.

Recent Batman has had this weird injection of sci-fi elements. Sci-fi isn't something new for Batman, but lately it's gotten out of hand, like making the Joker is immortal or the Metal Dark Knights.

Reminds of the sci-fi years in the 60s where Batman drifted from fighting crime to fighting aliens.

The ways this doesn't make sense even by MCU standards are beyond me.
How could you have gotten this so wrong?!
Also, just because lefties; I tried to lurk if anyone had noticed this but all I could find was people saying Cap was the bad guy for wanting to privatize. Fucking commies.
I mean, under certain characteristics Captain America could be in favor of a private Avengers or UN controlled ones but there's no way in fucking hell I believe Tony Stark would de-privatize the team.

Really gets the noodles boiling

No cop operating from how the world actually works wouldn't just shoot the Joker.

The comic wasn't better. Remember that the event happened during the Bush/Neocon years. So Tony Stark was forced into being a strawman of a Republican for the comic's obvious Patriot Act stand-in.

Chalk it up to Tony falling apart emotionally over being responsible for Ultron's creation and destruction of Sokovia.
Cap had just dealt with a deeply embedded Hydra infiltration that had not only managed to compromise and corrupt SHIELD, but got outrageously close to snuffing out potential troublemakers (Tony included) with coordinated Helicarrier strikes. There's no sensible way to spin gov't cooperation after something like that. Not if the Avengers want to get anything done.

Hacks writing Batman for last two decades do not know how to use his villains in somewhat original and interesting ways. Calendar Man could be used to tell some pretty interesting stories that pretty much write themselves:

Calendar Man inspired "copycats" could also make for interesting stories.

I thought that was an undertone that was hinted for a long time since TDKR?

Reminds me of FLCL.

To be fair they switch positions like that because of their own character pasts. Tony becomes more pro government over the course of the films because of his own lack of self control and SHIELD is the closest thing to keeping him in check. Cap had just dealt with Hydra infiltrating SHIELD and becoming distrustful of the government as a result. I thought it was more like subtext.

I thought the whole Mayan calendar thing was a misunderstanding because the Mayans didn't get the chance to write a new calendar not because they thought it was the end of the world.

Rachael Pollack taking over Doom Patrol after Grant Morrison's run, deciding she didn't like the rape in Crazy Jane's backstory, and retconning the character to have never existed.

Chuck Austin and Xorn. You know, Grant Morrison was trying to make a point when he had the retarded girl keep saying "Where's Xorn? I liked Xorn!" even after he revealed himself as Magneto.

Alicia Masters turning out to have been a Skrull for her entire relationship with Johnny Storm. Effectively retconning away the only characterisation that she had ever been given.

Everything they did with Rogue Trooper.

Killing Johnny Alpha.

Iron Fist being shaken to death like a baby.

Hal Jordan. Even ignoring the jailbait and genocide, post crisis Hal was turned into a drunk driver. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't let drunks be test pilots.

One More Day. FUCK THIS GAY EARTH.

All the SJW BLM legacy heroes ignoring that most of the heroes whose names they stole are STILL ALIVE.

When did The Blob eat someone? Wasn't that a Marvel Zombies alt Blob?

Soybo.

Everything in 2099 after Peter David left.

When Jeph Loeb decided that people liking the Ultimate universe was a bad thing and needed to be stopped.

Not to that extent. Death of the Family took it one step further.

I actually don't really have much of a problem with Death of the Family. Parts of it were really stupid, like the Joker taking over Arkham without anyone noticing, but the comic itself was well-written (you can argue that the Joker killing every cop in the precinct with his bare hands when he comes to get his face is dumb, but the scene works really well in my opinion, and the first few pages are rich with a sense of foreboding), and I kinda liked that thow they treated the Joker as some sort of force of nature. I think the Nu52 handled him reasonably well, since he only made two major apperances, and both times it was a pretty big deal Endgame was fucking trash, though.

Regarding the gay thing; I don't really see it, but I'm not one of those SJW idiots who fetishize homosexuality and project it onto everything. I didn't read it as the Joker actually being gay for Batman, I read it as his twisted view of their relationship. I actually kinda like it, since it made the Joker look more deranged, which is what they were going for I guess. I'm not sure how I feel about Batman revealing his identity to the Joker, though I'm perfectly fine with the explanation that his sick mind just didn't acknowledge it and the entire plot was just an elaborate practical joke, as implied in the comic.

tl;dr: I don't think Death of the Family is that bad, but I do think it's a lot better in concept than in execution.

It shouldn't. I vaguely recall someone drowning Wolverine and it basically takes him to the brink of death before Logan's healing factor would save him only for him to start drowning again.

I'm not sure why Marvel gave the green light to Ultimatium. Maybe the ultimate line wasn't selling very well and they figured they had to do something dramatic?

I need to correct this. Arisia wasn't jailbait, she was straight up pedo bait. Arisia was a 13 year old alien girl. The writers had to make up the bullshit excuse that years were slower on Arisia's planet all so Hal could legally plow a 13 year old girl.

It was really one of those creepy things in comics caused by the talent having no connection to the outside world.

You guys remember when a bunch of C-list capes went gay for justice and decided the best way to fight crime was to beat up criminals before they actually did anything illegal? 'member how they screamed out "JUSTICE!!" in public with no provocation?

Remember how they accomplished nothing and only indirectly made things worse, got tons of people killed and ended up making their most well known member a felon?

And the less said about "Rise of Arsenal" the better. Because I have a sore throat, and it hurts to cackle like a hyena.

Fuck off tumblr moralfag

TDKR also took place in a dark future where the Joker had been catatonic for decades from a lack of mental stimulation.

That's the biggest problem I have with TDKR. Everyone treats it like a bible for Batman when it's a fucking Elseworlds story.

Any creepier than Marv Wolfman marrying his waifu?

You know whenever these sort of "Heroes vs Government" situations pop up in comics and such I always wonder why any sort of hero would ever actually support the pro-government side, especially if it involves regulations or registrations like in the movie and comic plot.

The government is pretty damn corrupt in Marvel, is completely inept at fighting any sort of semi-super organization (such as Hydra), and is usually filled to the brim with multiple shadow organizations all doing their own dastardly thing where they try to oppress or kill off heroes, mutants, and whatever the darlings of focus for the week are.

It also makes me question why Ironman would ever side with the government, especially considering in pretty much the last movie before Civil War it was revealed that Hydra had infiltrated it years ago and nearly succeeded in a plan to kill off loads of people, including various enemies.

I dunno man, some 13 year old girls have huge titties and fat asses.

He's a bootlicker.

Yeah but their faces still got baby fat.

How are these for awful?

The second one doesn't look so bad except for the laced up boots.

Everything else seems to be alright, and whilst the yellow is a little off putting we've seen worse.

Lolwat.

I won't storytime the full run of Capullo/Snyder Batman, can't expect me to scan all that. But to contribute:

I love that comic, but the Joker raping someone, plus it's the Dark Knight movie Joker? Bitch please.

Shield has the last supply of Jack Daniels in the entire MCU.

I hate Bluebird. I liked her backstory, but her superhero persona? Holy shit. And her stupid laser cannon, she's so fanficky.

By the way, what happened to her? She's never brought up again here, is the dead?

Wrong. There was plenty of build up and explanation. He broke out of the regeneration matrix in Action Comics 689, which is (using the triangle numbering system) 5 issues before Man of Steel #25. They even spelled everything out for dumbasses like you in Action 690.

Remember when Joker was a guy who lived since the founding of Gotham city? That's interesting but what the hell was he doing all the time without Batman? It makes more sense that Batman created the Joker, so there's always someone to stop him.

But "Endgame" implied the Joker was running wild for hundreds of years with noone to stop him. I doubt that.

she gave up superhero-ing in Rebirth and is now just BFFs with nu-Cassandra Cain or something.

Shit I never thought about that - wouldn't Iron Man's suit be banned or something?

It was an undertone. There, Joker says it out loud. And he wants to kill the bat family so it's just 1 on 1 with Batman.

Is there anything interesting happening in Rebirth? Because the stuff with the evil Gotham-Superman looks like utter trash.

Facebook - The Comic?

I haven't been reading since Rebirth much, but breaking it down from what I've seen:

That isn't made clear until the fucking end of Action Comics #690. In Action Comics #689, it's assumed to be Super Shades, and the story itself tries to conceal it's Superman. The confusing is further amplified by having the Superman who came out of the matrix have Superman's haircut, something that Super Shades has, but the Superman who's shit out of the robot clearly has a full mullet.

Also the "explanation" is a retcon of Action Comics #687. When Super Shades goes to Superman's tomb, there's is no body after the absorbing, there's no body in the tomb, and there's no "putting Superman in the regeneration matrix". That whole explanation is pulled out of their ass.

So yeah, when Superman comes back in Man of Steal #25, he is just back, with the only build up being the last page of Action Comics #690. It was a return that was jarringly sudden and insulting to everyone who read the Death of Superman event from the start.

Retcon or no, the explanation is perfectly consistent with what's in action 687.

Funny thing about Doomsday Clock is, they try as hard as Watchmen artistically, but fail so hard.
Like this part here. I was like "Oh shit, the ink looks like Bruce and his dead parents."
Watchmen would have left it like that, but Doomsday Clock fucking EXPLAINS it a page later.

Hm. Calender Man would actually be a cool villain in the Gotham TV show since the focus is on the GCPD.

Nigger the panels this shitshow is referring to has full images showing what Rorschach is thinking of before cutting to his fake answers, and then they have a full backstory reveal which explains why he was thinking of what he was thinking of.
I'm not defending the rape of Watchmen but you can be honest.

It contradicts what happened earlier in that issue.

Either way, it was bullshit. It relied on information not present in the story to justify Superman's return. It makes the entire event a complete waste of time. You could read all of the issues before Action Comics #690, and you would have no greater expectation of Superman's return than if you only read Action Comics #690.

Reading the Death of Superman from start to finish really gives you insight on why it's so reviled. Superman coming back to life after DC spent 29 issues telling the world that he was really, truely dead, is one thing. The completely flippant way DC chose to bring Superman back, now that was the real breaking point.

Yes, but the ink pictures are more abstract and not as easy to interpret in Watchmen.

Actually, that makes it worse. Watchmen gave you a visual clue that Rorschach was lying, but Doomsday Cock eschews this for depending on fanboy knowledge.

Also, we only needed ONE Rorschach in Watchmen. The over use of them here serves no storytelling purpose whatsoever other than wasting time.

Speaking of storytelling, HOLY JESUS FUCK does Johns not understand the comic he's aping.

The Watchmen was about pushing the boundaries of visual storytelling. Johns has fucking speech bubbles taking up 9/10's of the panel! How the fuck are you supposed to tell what's going on?

That's not rape user:-)

Except she's not a whore but the main character's girlfriend/ wife.

Which is rather fun, to notice at least, nowadays the public sides against Steve, instead of Tony the original "strawman", despite their actions and points of view not changing. Steve is known for doing the right moral thing, even if is required to act above/against the law (especially if the government reveals itself to be corrupt… again).
Is rather jarring that back then, when the right was in the White House and tbqh, actually being oppressive, they wrote Cap as the hero and most people accepted it because he fought for civil liberties and human rights regardless of context and people, now that the left was in power for 8 years…
or worse and pic related
Even more jarring is that they continued this retarded idea into Civil War 2, does anyone has the pic of Steve Rogers telling an unconscious Tony pretty tolerable, sound stuff while he's portrayed as the bad guy Although IDK if that is from Civil War 1.

Yes Linkara I remember your review on it.

Depends, how big was the age gap?

Is this the original Batwing? The one where he was a former child soldier? That premise intrigued me. Makes me wonder if that series was any good.

I thought Sideways and Silencer seemed decent. That and the Deathstroke comics are pretty good.

It's from Civil War 2.

Wait, Bluebird has a big fuck-off mole? And her mask doesn't cover it?
Does she have a secret identity? Then that's dumber than Green Arrow's beard.

I'm sorry you don't know how to read comics, user.

What, by convincing ourselves that the later retcons happened at the time?
So DC hold up two fingers and Marvel hold up two fingers and we say there's five fingers. Extra doubleplus good, fellow fan! Oldthinkers unbellyfeel comicsoc! Whoops, it's nearly time for our daily four minute Liefeld Hate.

I think that is a piercing

She doesn't. She's 90% piercings. Still stupid, because she always walks around with those, so it's not really a disguise. On the other hand though, Bruce is famous and Harper is a nobody, noone could identify her because as far as I know, she doesn't have friends and her jobs were mostly in the dark subways.
The only one who could identify her is in jail or her brother.

Go away reddit. She got the job done and got paid for it, stop your #metoo BS

Tony… had a hard life.

Says the cuck who wants his bitch fucked by some psycho clown.

In the comic's case, there's a lead up to Civil War in ASM that shows Tony trying to stop the SHRA. Part of him changing his tune and backing it is that he sees it's going to pass and knowing that if left alone to the government will fuck it up. He's trying to be on the inside in hopes to have a say and stop any corruption. The problem is that everyone writing and editing the books just used Tony as a soapbox against Bush. So any decent motivations quickly were abandoned and he turned to cloning friends, killing other heroes, locking away people forever, working with villains, etc.

I was always annoyed that no one ever made a clear and simple statement that despite all the teeth mashing about the PATRIOT Act and the Pro-Reg side being republicans that if the Superhero Registration Act was called the Gun Registration Act it'd be completely liberal point of view. Hell, you could equate training of superhero to cops and it could play out like BLM chimpout. Of course, none of that happened because all the creators couldn't see that point of view from their high horses.

To be fair, they squandered Batwing quickly (he was originally just African Batman inspired by that one campfire story before they decided to make Lucius Fox's son into an Iron Man wannabe), Bluebird got sidelined real quick after popping up in Batman Eternal, and Duke's practically a Snyder leftover that's barely acknowledged.

hi reddit

this is all from the same issue

I actually like Batman being more sci-fi. Him fighting generic faggots in gimp suits has become really fucking boring by now. Snyder is doing it in a wrong-headed way but the general idea is solid.

Did Night-Dragon ever show up again after Batman: Hong Kong?
He seemed like a natural for the Bat-Men of all nations/Batman Inc.

When you're a fat gluttonous piece of shit everything tastes kind of the same.

Watchmen had time and length to tell everything they needed to, adding more frames with less words was fine
There the comic's trying to get more in less panels, probably because normalfags can't into reading longer comics and so they don't have to pay the artist for more pages

Someone once told me that Woverine's gotten to the point of being so overpowered that he can completely regenerate so long as a single cell remains. Hack writers come up with shit like that to justify stupid situations like Wolverine surviving a nuke, but they don't address the fact that if his regeneration was that powerful he'd be the broomstick from Sorcerer's Apprentice.

My biggest issue with this is that, if the Joker DID know Batman's secret identity, he would spend all his time making sure he robbed publiuc functions where bruce wayne was present, because the idea that Batman was there but was unable to do anything about it would be hilarious to him.

But he has attacked public functions where Bruce Wayne was present, numerous times. Usually Bruce has found some way to sneak away so he can stop him

Batman's secret identity, or the idea that he even has a secret identity is pretty much irrelevant to the Joker.

But if the Joker publically takes him hostage he can't do anything. Those stories rely on the joker not knowing he's batman so he can find a way to stop them.

Does the Joker care who's under the mask? Did he get pissy with Azrael or Dick or any of the other sub batmen? I know pre-crisis he killed a guy who was training himself to be a back-up Batman without Bruce's knowledge, and thought he'd got the real guy.

I don't think Joker actually CARES who it is under the mask, but would happily use that knowledge as another tool in his arsenal to fuck with the man.

From what I remember, he went up against AzBats and quickly realised he wasn't Bruce.
I never read any of the post RIP stuff so I don't know what his reaction to DickBats was. They didn't fight in Prodigal, as far as I'm aware.

A Death in the Family suggests he either does know or could easily put two and two together

I think that regardless, the idea that the Joker doesn't really care makes him a more interesting villain. But saying he doesn't care at all about Bruce's secret identity is retarded. The Jkoker would surely do SOMETHING with that.

If I was the Joker and I knew Batman's identity, I'd send hourly bat-themed gifts special order to his workplace.

Old joker probably….nujoker will most likely dress Alfred as joker and he put up a bat mask to rape the old fart

How did that go? Please tell me Azbats used the flame thrower.

That's actually the big flaw in the whole "Joker knows" idea. If the Joker knew Batman's secret identity, he would stop at nothing to utterly destroy him since humbling him wouldn't be a challenge anymore.

Azbats broke his arms.

This was pre-flamethrower

Well, I tend to look at Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker for reference. The Joker, in that movie, didn't actively seek to know Batman's secret identity, but once he did he wasn't above using the information to piss him off.

Joker once got hold of x-rays of Batman's skull that he was going to use to build a bust of his face by building it up off a model skull with clay.
But he ended up making a mess of it because he "wasn't much of a sculptor". I always wondered if he might have thrown that one deliberately, or knew it wasn't going to work and just ran with it to mess with Bat's head.

That's pretty interesting. It's a shame they never explored that angle.

Never thought I'd see that.