I finally got this thing in the GOG sale

I finally got this thing in the GOG sale
Tips for maximum enjoyment?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/18/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stay in the light, don't underestimate poison/bleed, spend dosh on upgrading camp abilities to counter stress.
Most important early game tip- Heroes are expendable so go on suicide runs to get cash, the cream of the crop will naturally rise. Disband the low level faggots who get diseased.

Use this qt

unistall.exe

Use the occultist

If you see a red orb shrine that says that a sacrifice of fire is required, you are super lucky and should put a torch in. Also, use torches on stacks of books, but not piles of scrolls.

Leper is best class.

I always ignored any book since the chance of getting something that wasn't stress was so fucking small.

If you find a useful strategy, don't post it anywhere or the devs get salty and nerf it.

Get the hero capacity as as high as you can quickly as you can
Getting your blacksmith and guild upgraded is also really fucking important
At the beginning heroes are pretty expendable, don't be afraid to dismiss one because he's mostly fucked up
Get holy water, shovels and stuff and use them on things that pop up in the environment
Plague doctor a qt

What do I gain if I defeat the Shambler?

Killing that thing with a newbie raw party was the most fun thing that I did in this thing until now.

hope you enjoy rng hell and don't let the devs know that you found a good strategy or are having fun

Don't ever start over. Roll with the punches. Even if you take a TPK what matters most (town upgrades) will all be there. I found playing too often made it tiresome but bite-sized games (one dungeon dive each day) made it very enjoyable. Blight for Ruins and Cove. Bleed for Warrens and the other place I forgot the name now. Try to keep Dismas and Reynauld alive. The game is more forgiving than you may think.

Well I'm enjoying it so far
the "position" of the characters matter or is just a way for the game to tell you which character is a frontline?

Also, how fuck can I remove stress in dungeons

The positions are important, some moves can only happen in certain positions and some attacks will attack only the back or front.

Position matters. Some attacks only target certain party members in positions. Drag a long-range opponent to fight in close-range and suddenly all they have is a wimpy move that deals scratch damage. Shove a frontline fighter to the back row and he ends up passing his turns as a result.

Very hard to reduce stress in dungeons - it is intentional. Some characters like Jester and Abomination have methods but they are kind of inefficient or single-target. Otherwise go to medium dungeons with lots of food and let them gorge on it when they camp to recover some stress.

Forgot to add: because stress is so hard to deal with in dungeons usually you want to focus-fire stress-inducing monsters as soon as possible.

Polite sage for double post.

This.
The dungeoncrawling itself is fun, combat is great and there's a lot of class variety. The macro layer is complete shit, though. There's no punishment for fucking up, you can hire new heroes for free and the only thing you lose is the time it takes to level them up and grind the resources to equip them. There's basically not really a loss state (as far as I'm aware).

Had twenty to thirty hours fun with it so I don't regret buying it, but as soon as you realize you're just doing the same thing over and over again to grind resources the whole game just seems tedious and pointless.

Kill both boss in each area once, then uninstall and forget about it. Aside from some (disappointing) final dungeon bosses there's nothing ahead for you but repeating the same content over and over and over again.

You can skip upgrading camp abilities for a while since you're not gonna be seeing longer dungeons in the early game.

Here's some tips:
Upgrade your stage coach as soon as possible until you can hire 4-6 heroes at once and have a decent room for them.
This way you can farm gold easily. Just hire 4 random guys or more depending on their starting quirks and go to the low level short dungeons with them, buy minimum shit, 4 food, 4 torches or none. Just go as far as you can and if your party is close to death just bail out, there's literally no penalty, except that you don't get the reward. Just send the 4 guys you just used back wherever they came from and hire a bunch of new ones.

If there is characters with good quirks, preserve those characters and sometimes use them along with others and do a short journey where you buy all kinds of shit to keep those guys alive. Level them up and hope for more good quirks. You can eventually make those quirks permanent in the sanitarium if you character seems to excel.
Always have a good 8 or 10 lvl +2 characters preserved. Keep an eye on the higher level mission rewards. If there is some good legendary gear, take a strong team and complete them.
Strive for making the perfect team with mostly positive quirks. Remove only the negative quirks that affect your character the most, like stuff that reduces your stats or something.

Don't be afraid to quit a mission if shit's going south. Your characters will get lots of stress but you can always relieve the stress in Hamlet.
If the character is a lost cause, just send them home and hire a new one.

If you're unsure about stuff, use the wiki. it's good to find information of curios and such. It can be count as kind of cheating but it's better to be prepared than get yourself killed from not knowing stuff.

Now for the characters. The best ones in my opinion are
Plague Doctor, her blight abilities TEAR through the enemies, especially the ones with high defences. A must have character in almost all teams. Can also disorient enemies and get rid of corpses.
Highwayman, his damage is really solid, he can do a lot of AOE damage and single target damage. He relies a lot on dodging and crits. His only problem is his squishyness.
The Leper, this guy has insane base damage values and can hit multiple targets with insane amounts. He also has self hp and stress heal. Havent found almost any negative on this guy except that if he gets pushed back, he cant use his abilities and you need to use turns to move him forward.
Abomination is kind of a risky but also very rewarding character. He has his all abilities available from the get go so you dont have to use gold unlocking any significant skills. He has almost everything in his kit, stuns, blight, self heal, and insane amounts of damage. Use his first form as much as you can when enemies arent too difficult, mostly stunning them and dealing decent damage. When shit hits the fan, transform him into a fucking lawnmower. His second form can deal increasing damage on the first 2 enemies on the line or deal hard damage to one on 3 spaces, and if you want to displace enemies, use the headbutt. His transformation gives stress for your team but it's a good tradeoff for the raw damage you get.
Man at arms is a very solid tank for the front row, able to buff your team with defences, cripple the enemies defences or defend individual teammates. He isnt much of a damage dealer but keeps his team safe and occasionally bashes the enemies skulls in with his riposte ability and regular mace strikes.
The Occultist is a decent healer for your team with offensive side. Vestal is a holy woman so she wont go to trips with Abominations, so whenever using Abo, be sure to bring an Occultist. His heal is strongest in the game but it's downside is that it might be a complete blank shot. It has chance to heal incredible amount or none at all. He also has displacement abilities, backline damage and damage reductions to the enemies, if you wish to reduce their fighting capabilities.

Rest of the characters are mediocre but always work, there really is no weak characters, except the Antiquarian, but she is there to to give you more loot, not combat prowess. ( Jester is just a piece of shit, don't bother using him. He jumps around the roster and ruins your other characters positions for very unreliable damage. )

Last tip I can give is that whenever you're fighting those rabid dogs at Weald, try to get them hit your damage based characters. There is a chance for them to infect your characters with "Rabies". It is a disease and it might sound negative, but it gives 15% more damage for exchange of reduced accuracy. You can get your accuracy back with gear and positive quirks.
NEVER remove Rabies unless its a character that doesnt need damage but somehow needs more accuracy. It's a very good disease to have for min maxing your damage.

uninstall and play a better game

What's this hate towards the game?
There's literally nothing wrong with it, are you just that bad at it?

I wouldn't say I hate it but it's very shallow and grindy. Once you've done a couple of quests in each area you've seen 90% of what the game has to offer, from there it's just grinding the same stuff until you die of boredom.

Antiquarian's invigorating vapour is pretty strong. You get mad dodge from just two casts.

It's fun for a few hours until you realize that the rest of the game is just as shallow. All upgrades for characters and skills are boring + stats instead of allowing for a variety of playstyles. The best way to play the game is boring buffstacking, and in most cases positioning isn't as important as it should be, which is a shame.

It's been pointed out a couple of times that it devolves into a mindless grind.
And it's not hard, it doesn't even have a failure state.

Grinding and shitty devs who got obsessed with rng and making sure there's no fun allowed

Then you people just cant stand grinding games, the end.
I have +2000 hours on Warframe, and this was BEFORE the damage 2.0 updates and such. The game was but a grindfest back then, the newest frame was the god damn Nekros.

So yeah, grinding is not for everyone.

This reminds me.
Has someone made a Lewdest Dungeon mod yet?

Grinding is fine, the problem is the reward for your grind in DD is only accessing more grind. There are no new weapons, no trinkets that would change the way you play, no new skills, no meaningful development or customization for characters, (basically) no new enemies, the bosses are the same each time around, they just get higher stats. Even the final dungeon re-uses enemies from earlier in the game.

No, but someone should.

You've got a point, but I think that most people didn't expect a grindan game when they started playing Darkest Dungeon. It is being advertised as a challenging roguelike turn-based dungeoncrawler, not a repetitive proto-clicker game without punishment for fucking up.

I don't know how I feel about this

Like a prude.

No, that would be impossible to make into a sexy thing. When killed, characters just disappear (unless they're enemies, in which case they turn into corpses). All a Lewdest Dungeon mod would do is make it so that all combat is just fondling, and character death is now turned into "character cums and runs away in embarassment".

fair points

On second thought, it would be possible to add lewd content to the game, if you added in a character class that did it. Someone already did in the form of the Harlot, and it's exactly as tame and unsexy as you don't think it would be.
nexusmods.com/darkestdungeon/mods/18/?

Can you just change the stress effect bgs for stuff like this and change the text said by the characters?

Yes, but that wouldn't actually make it lewd. It'd just make it seem like the characters are getting off on being covered in pig vomit and vinegar. The game wouldn't suddenly become lewd just because "stress" is changed to "lust".

The game is alright for what it is but there really isn't much content there. It would've been better if they cut all the bullshit "find 3 herbs" missions, have each boss fight only once and gave you a fail state like a limited number of heroes that come to your town every session, that would be more like a proper roguelike.

Play a better game.