We are going to make Zelda completely open world

Do you think Molynuex watched the reveal and realised how and why he turned Fable into dogshit finally?

Nintendofags

well fuck it, i gonna buy it

Basically describes them perfectly. I've only ever seen kirby and DK fans not bitch at everything and have a consistent sense of quality.

Why can't everyone be happy we're going to receive a new wave of hot twink Linkboi rule 34?

eh, can go either way

It can be good or a complete failure for the sake of attracting the minecraft audience. We'll see

Marks gonna get the vapours, he gets very excitable around fucboi link art.

New game play mechanism look good.
Exploring is fun.
Shirtless Link is hot.

I'm gonna buy it.

But OP is saying that the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Are you retarded?

Let's face it, user. Fable could learn a thing or two from Dark Souls build diversity. In fact, so could Skyrim. The joke is Dark Souls has good build diversity and I can't think of a single western RPG or hack'n'slash that meets the same short of Path of Exile

I expect it to be devoid of any personality or challenge, like every Nintendo adventure since the Wii.

The loyalty of you Fangirls, Faggots and Nintedrones is so easy to buy that it's almost laughable.

This tbh.

fd

Good meme.

List 3 video games with more build diversity
the "video" qualifier is because obviously there are a billion tabletop RPGs with infinite build potential

E.Y.E, UnderRail, ToME. Man that sure was hard. Having a gorillion useless weapons doesn't mean your game has good build diversity.

reminds me of this comic

Having played and loved E.Y.E, I'm honestly not so sure on the build diversity point. Eventually, diminishing returns, increasing costs and the need for certain minimum stats to have your bare necessity armored enemy killers are going to drive everything towards some flavor of Gray Master that is slightly more inclined one direction than another, with the quite valid exception of friends going in as a group and specializing harder than they otherwise would. I can't make any educated comment on the other two, but will make the cursory note that Tales of Maj'Eyal is a minimal-tileset roguelike, which makes it a great deal more flexible than a face-and-trigger-button action game.

Although a bit of a pedant, you are correct otherwise. You could amend his point as, 'List 3 hack & slashes with more build diversity,' which might be a little harder, but would be a fair bit easier if read as more EFFECTIVE build diversity rather than POTENTIAL diversity. There are plenty of interesting things to be done in Souls games, but these days, first play co-op shitters leap for the huge weapons, slightly more competent and prickish shitters leap for the quick interrupt poiselock weapon of the week, and occasionally you'll get a glass cannon mage build. Bad early release balancing and early patches lead to early metas that later get abandoned for more specific exploitations, which eventually give way to a vague balance & variety, but you never really see every interesting thing possible at any one point in a release's lifetime, since the niche builders are a minority compared to metashit hangers-on.

I don't see why this Dark Souls line of discussion was initiated in the first place, though, because the thread is about how Zelda is now becoming what Molyneux originally wanted to make before he was led astray by whatever concepting & development hells led Fable down the line that it did. It was probably just bait, but it does raise an interesting thought; which is better, austere and very self-contained core gameplay, or extensive if somewhat compartmentalized or unwieldy mechanics? I suppose good implementation of the latter will resemble and therefore be a more extensive implementation of the former, but I don't know.

It's not so much that as much as it is Zelda has a very divided fanbase, so whenever Nintendo does something that pleases one faction they inevitably piss off one of the others.

The way I see it, there are four types of Zelda fans:

1. The original Zelda fags. These people like Zelda 1 because of how open and exploration heavy it is, and see all other Zeldas as inferior because of their linearity. This is the group that the new Zelda is trying to appeal to.

2. The Majora's Mask/Link's Awakening(and sometimes Wind Waker) fags. These people like MM and LA specifically because they are so unlike other Zelda games, with their dark themes and unusual characters. They're mostly positive about the new Zelda because they think it will have deeper and darker story elements, like MM and LA, judging from the trailers.

3. The A Link to the Past and/or Ocarina of Time fags. These people like the dungeon crawling and puzzle solving aspects of Zelda more than anything else. They don't care if Nintendo constantly rehashes the same formula over and over again as long as they improve and refine it each time(which they haven't.) A lot of the skepticism and criticism of the new Zelda comes from these people, mostly because they think it focuses too much on breadth and not enough on depth.

4. The casual fags. Most of these people never played a Zelda games and only like it for the art style/Link's boipussy. The few that have have only played the DS games and maybe one of the Wii games. The females in this group love the new Zelda because you can take Link's clothes off, while the males hate it because Link isn't a girl in the game. They think complaining about this aspect will get them feminist pussy(it won't.)

There are other kinds of Zelda fans(Capcom Zelda fags, Zelda II fags, Twilight Princess fags, and even Skyward Sword fags believe it or not), but these four factions make up the majority of the fanbase, and hate all of the other groups with a passion. This is why it's impossible to have good discussions about Zelda on the internet.

I don't see many unique builds on Dark Souls. It's either heavy build, light build, cleric build, or something in between. That old dungeon crawler action game Severance has just as many classes, minus the magic able class.

/thread

Bad move nintendo

but what if you're somebody who likes all of them to varying degrees

I like all the Zelda games, even Skyward Sword had some cool stuff and The Phantom Hourglass and Zelda 2.

Then you are a statistical anomaly and should be removed
>tfw you are in the Zelda 2 camp

Zelda 2's mechanics is fucking garbage. The leveling system is lame, the magics are lame, the number of items are reduced, buying items is removed, and it's just too difficult. The combat is good, the graphics are fine, but everything else is garbage.

People like us don't matter.

Have you tried Xanadu, Legacy of the Wizard, or Sorcerian? They do the same side-scorlling, action-RPG thing.

Also, the original version of Ys III.

Not quite what I meant by just take the first game and transition it into 3D with windwaker's style and mechanics but it'll do.

Plus seeing link in armor for a change was nice.

Zelda 2 is fucking great, such good mechanics. In terms of raw action gameplay and RPG mechanics it's way ahead of all the others, though it's only really challenged by Zelda 1 anyway. I like pretty much all of the other Zelda games too, though, but there's very different reasons to like them.

Sounds like someone needs to get good.

/thread

I like all the Zelda games and don't think that because the name is the same they have to all be exactly the same copy/paste gameplay.

sue me faggot.

I don't hate the game, but the only reason why it's not higher on my list of favorites is because of how bullshit hard it is.

And I love difficult games, the difficulty is just badly paced

What if you are 1 and 3? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN THEN, GREAT SAGE?!

You people are too naive.

Are you autistic?

nothing new really, everything shown has been done in every signle open-world fad game of the past 5 years

A factor of Fable that might need to be mentioned is that you can down a path of good or evil in it (while you can't in Zelda), so it means you have to come up with a whole different system of "evil" stuff/rewards/reactions in the world around you on top of all the things that happen when you go down the "good" path.

Sadly I heard a story that the (rough) percentage of people playing Fable played like this:

- 95% of people played the good path.
- 3% went evil and then turned good.
- 1% played as pure evil.

Yes, I'm aware it adds to 99%

It seems a bit depressing to come up with a way to play a game that only 1% of your user base actually fully commit to.

Honestly, I don't care either way. I don't play Zelda anymore, I haven't played it in years. It seems like it's in the same boat as God of War, where people with taste don't play it anymore, but they keep making new ones because they feel obligated to.

Going full evil in Fable is pretty unrewarding and annoying as well. You constantly get good boy points for killing monsters, which means you have to balance it out by donations at the Chapel of Skorm, killing people, eating crunchy chicks, etc. And if you want Skorm's Bow, it's easier to be full good than partly evil because there's some complicated shit involved in how that works.

Plus they nerfed the evil sword in Lost Chapters, and added in a version for good guys that was just as strong.

The last 1% is those who remain firmly and unflinchingly neutral the whole game through. The percentages are fine.

There's also the persistent good long-term/evil short-term design tendency. And while it's both generally accurate and sometimes workable even if only on a thematic level as in Overlord, the result is that there's no particular reason in Fable to not be as good as you can be. Except if you want to take Lady Gray (either the original or the redeemed Fable 2 Frankenfu) to the bone zone, or don't want to lose experience in the Spire timeskip sequences. Nothing else comes to mind. Fable 3's nonsense king sequence doesn't count, since any player worth their salt will have obsessively bought up property and probably won't even need to bother with the +money/+evil choices

I'd take Lady Grey to poundtown any day of the week. (I've only played the original, though)

5.The speedrunner fags. These people like to find exploits and glitches in the mechanics to fit various self-planned challenges.

6.The lore/story fags. You can find these garbage-eaters giving theories about the timeline-placement of the next game coming out, and spurging about how "great" the games story's and characters are

Most fanbases are like this. Don't even get be started on the Sonic fanbase, dear god.

I wouldn't think speedrunners necessarily factor into the backlash or are even a group of their own in this way of looking at things. People can and do speedrun absolutely anything.

You're probably right about the story autists though. The poor bastards who put waaay more thought into things than Nintendo does.

I would say that could apply to any of the categories. That list doesn't mean you ONLY like those games, it mostly pertains to your favorites (except for 4).

You get that in most good/evil games; they make it way too easy to be 'good' and the 'evil' path both requires you to be a puppy-kicking edgelord Cobra Commander-tier supervillain and basically follow a guide to make sure you get all of the few evil options.

Undertale at least revels in it and is pretty much a different game when you go Genocide. And doesn't necessarily expect you to even bother playing the evil way.

as an autistic who has spent a thousand hours making way too many dark souls characters, I can pretty safely say that at least 3/4 of the weapons have their place in specific builds, with the rest only being mostly useless but few are completely so (like the straight sword hilt).

I love EYE but I disagree, it has some nice build variety with the weapons but very little on armor. The stats/abilities are also not very well balanced, with many being pretty unimportant during regular gameplay and some being much worse than others.

Have not played UnderRail or ToME, I'll check them out.

The more i look at this, the more convinced i am that it was intended to be animated at some point. There is a lot of really good "directing" going on.
Panel 1 shows the window to be used in panel 2.
panels 2 through 4 make great use of his "cape" to convey motion. all of panel 3 is building reinforcing the throw in panel 4. The letter is also consistently in the left hand.
Panel 4-6 keeps at least one element from the previous panel to keep the visual flow going. there is no confusion as to what is happening between panels. using the trail of fire is not only "rule of cool", but also serves to link panels 5-6 together.
Panel 8 is a comedic relief panel, that very deliberatly fucks with balance and weight in the character. While the legs really strongly sell the impact of the kick, the upper body is in resting position, and together with the uncomfortable look on his face, just mocks the rules of balance in animation.
panel 10 is very wise to use the cuff of his jacket as a way to remind us where the hand connects to. It reminds you that it's dante's hand firing the gun.
Panel 11 is the tallest panel so far, and is high intensity, contrast with the smallest panel 12, which is very low intensity. panel size here looks very deliberate, and helps calm down the pacing, which makes the calm of the next panels much less jarring. disrupting both which action we see, AND the pacing might be too much.
Also speed lines errywhere.

Despite the lack of detail, inconsistent joints on the characters, and flat as fuck coloring (+MS paint aliasing) this is one of the best looking comic strips i've seen.

Im part of 3. But im not sure if oos/ooa belongs in 2 or 3.

Links Awakening fag looking to get into 1 here
I liked LA because it was just kinda this oddball game where I could explore around and find dungeons
New Zelda looks like it could either be great or flop hard. Survival elements sound like they're there to force you to stop in certain areas and the traversal mechanics seem neat but I feel like Nintendo's not going to develop them enough for them to be fulfilling on more than one trip

I'd like to be wrong, but I generally find I'm not when it comes to shit like this

nice reading comprehension fucko