Shit I wish Nintendo would do but know can never happen for whatever fucking reason

I dunno. I think if anything I just want Nintendo to make first party budget WiiU games alongside their big releases is all and would have liked a B Team to make cool little downloadables as appetizers (I actually enjoyed Star Fox Guard for what it was).

I'm sure it's not feasible but I just want another Nazo No Murasamejou, nigga.

make good games

Like 3 games actually used the wii-u touchpad. hell, more games used the GBA to gamecube link cables in interesting ways. I don't think they have it in them to do interesting shit en mass like they use to.

Literally why

Did you actually enjoy paying 80+$ for your games? The only reason cartridge had fast loading times was because of how little they store. Even then games like Perfect Dark managed to have atrocious load times.

So you basically want them to make the N64 again.

I stopped giving a fuck about Nintendo years ago after the Wii.

The fact that they have Treehouse as a localization team makes me not want to touch any of their games.

POKEMON
SNAP
U

I want them to use what money they have left to fund paramilitary organizations hellbent on wiping out all niggers and muslims. the notion that they or anyone else can make a good game is dead so they might as well do something actually useful.

fuk off autist

So do you mean "Nintendo should actually make good games jfc Nintendo"? Because that goes without saying and didn't want to make a thread that just amounted to "Nintendo should make good games again."

Or do you actually mean I should learn how to develop my own games? Because I'm slowly teaching myself programming to do just that.

Could you explain what you mean by the price tag? You mean you're worried that Cartridge games automatically mean price gouging? Explain yourself.

Yes and no. For every misstep the N64 had, there was some gold as fuck gems that worked around hardware limitations like F-Zero X. I've been wanting to see more efforts like those in a long time from Nintendo again.

Aye, true. You'd think they'd learn by now that the language of vidya is universal?

I've actually been playing a couple of Famicom exclusive games through an adapter like Devil World and such (and Nazo No Murasamejou through a hacked wii and the 3DS E Shop), and it bothers me so much that they thought to have us miss out on these games back in the day.

It's rumoured that NX will return to cartridges, though that may very well turn out to be a massive crock of shit

I've gotten to the point where I think I just want them to stop making consoles. On the one hand it would feel like an act of surrender, and that would be kind of a shame, but it would mean one less piece of plastic I have to buy, and we could see Nintendo games running on up to date hardware for the first time since the Gamecube.

I'm actually surprised by how well this thread was received. I was ready for you folks to start checking dubs.

Pick one nigger.

Why wouldn’t that ever happen? Spinning discs are complete shit. NAND is faster, more reliable, and can be smaller.

What? That's fucking expensive.

Okay, I have troubles believing that OP is anything more than a really bad troll.

That would be commercial suicide.

It is true, cartridges are a lot more expensive than DVD's or even Blu-ray.
Fucking nigger.

And then we can finally tell shit like megatexturing to fuck off on eating so much space. idTech5 is nice and all, but if you can design a game to use space more efficiently, why wouldn't you?

HOW TO MAKE A CARTRIDGE THAT'S NOT EXPENSIVE
1. Get flash drive without case.
2. Put in wider case with extra support snaps to "plug in" so it doesn't wobble or fall out. Insert into USB+stabilizers connection slot.
3. Seat snugly.
4. Play on cheap-ass cartridge.

Make good games.
More specifically, make true sequels to past favorites and cult classics. Not that spinoff shit we've been getting.

Bring back mid-to-late 90s turn-based JRPGs.

Those aren't owned by Nintendo.

According to whom? Repacks that you download? They remove over half of the redundant data. Dual layer discs are 9gb for DVDs and Blu-Ray are anywhere from 20 to 100gb.
Using Flash memory makes it too easy for pirates to copy the contents of something, as well as creating mod cartridges from existing cartridges. They use ROM for cartridges because you can't tamper with the contents of the cartridge and you can't steal the digital sign information.
After designing MegaTexturing for one game, id Software pretty much did away with that technology completely. It was a nice idea in concept, but a poor idea in design and implementation. Texture artists should not be making level geometry by assigning arbitrary values to pixels on a 500,000x500,000 sized texture. A level artist can accomplish so much more in so much less time just by making standard textures and standard geometry in a level editor.

Blu-Ray discs are 50gb max m8.
At least the ones they use for games are. I remember hearing they were going to do a high capacity disc that was 100gb but I don't know if they've started using them yet.

You mean like the 3DS fucking does?

Dual-layer Blu-Ray have a theoretical limit of 500gb, although the 500gb discs were just prototypes to push the boundaries of the technology. But yeah, Blu-Ray does dual layer discs that increase maximum capacity by quite a bit.

That's a handheld, user. I want a console.

YOU ALSO WANT A CONSOLE THAT'S INFERIOR TO SAID HANDHELD.

Why are you yelling?

Because you're being fucking stupid.

You forgot "Burn Treehouse".

Reggie lives in the fucking treehouse.

Wolfenstein says hello. Not to mention shit like having uncompressed audio for Titanfall, or any other number of things that developers have that make their games fuckhuge.

So you agree that all that data is useless and that the relevant parts of most games, like the actual game, are under 4GB?

NAND/NOR might not be the most reliable storage long term, but there is a way to protect it. Alternatively, encrypt it, like Nintendo currently does on HDD and SD cards used on the WiiU and 3DS.

Will, never, happen.

Developers don't want cartridges because it drives up the cost of development. They also don't want games that can't be patched/can't get additional content later.

I know people want to go back to the "good old days" when you just bought a game and that was it. But that wasn't convenient to the people making the games. It meant games would overall have less content because you'd have to test everything so rigorously you couldn't allow any bugs in. It's why there are almost hundreds of examples of cut content in really old games on the PS1/N64 (like a really challenging level in the original Crash Bandicoot that was completely finished but you couldn't go to because they couldn't test it in time).

Additionally I know Holla Forums doesn't like this but games aren't like they were 20 years ago. The most popular games on the market now are online multiplayer games that are continuously updated and have store fronts. Look at how popular Overwatch is right now. And League of Legends, and Dota 2. Developers don't want to create more expensive games with more limitations when they can just manufacture a disk.

Compare old 360 games like Perfect Dark Zero to more recent ones. It's night and day.

These companies need to make money.

There can be an argument made that the manufacturer should take a loss to make the console less expensive but that's up to them if they see it as financially viable to do so. These consoles literally cost billions of dollars and have sunk companies in the past when they didn't do well.

These games don't sell well.

History has shown that games with huge marketing budgets and "more content" sell. Look at how big and popular open world games are.

If you want developers to make smaller scale games you need to actually start buying them when they come out. Independent studios are making games constantly that nobody buys because they didn't have 100 trailers on release.

Region locking is done for reasons. Some are actually legitimate. Like they don't want people exploiting cheaper prices in other regions by just importing. And they don't want people breaking launch day in one country by just importing.

There are also other reasons like they aren't actually allowed to sell particular games in different countries. A good example is how censored violence is in Australia/Germany.

In a perfect world, I guess.

Thanks for entertaining the thought, folks. Go ahead and check em or whatever.

TBF Nintendo's history with region locking has historically been mixed, and I imagine that it was driven more by technical changes and cultural differences than economics.

This is how you get dubs.

Ive always loved how stupidly simple it was to bypass region locking in Ninty's cartridge days.

Those are just the more understandable reasons off the top of my head.

Of course there are a multitude of other reasons but it's better off devoting an entire thread to just talking about the pros and cons of region locking.

This was back when console manufacturer knew like 90% of their consumer base was like 10 years old and under. This was also pre-internet so unless you had a background in actually soldering shit you wouldn't have figured it out on your own.

Of course. The simple days are long gone.

See you all in /agdg/ i guess.

The later NDS console wasn't region locked (the physical games weren't, but DSi downloaded games were).

Not all consoles are region locked yeah. Like the PS3 across all of it's variants wasnt. Although I know it was fickle with it, like PS1 games still were and with PSN games DLC would be region locked.

I'm just saying there are reasons manufacturers do it.

Not yet.
After the Game Crash my son.

Games are more profitable than ever right now. It's unlikely a crash will occur.

Sure, I'm not disputing the reasons for/against it. I'm just pointing out that Nintendo's actual use of region locking has historically been somewhat mixed. Going forward they'll probably be for it since they have digital distribution,

Oh boy do I have the console for you, user!

Titanfall had uncompressed audio because the Xbox was garbage and they wanted to squeeze out maximum performance. The PC port was just shit so this wasn't fixed.

You have been able to buy 100GB discs for ages. They aren't in high demand so the prices are outrageous.
Also, the 4K bluray spec actually calls for 100GB discs as the norm.

Well, anybody who wanted to region lock a game could do it. It's just that nobody did, save for Atlus, with Persona 4 Arena. (and this only happened so Atlus could price discriminate in Japan and prevent reverse importation).

I laughed tbh fam 👌😂

FUCKING THOSE. If Nitendo did that, they would become gods of gaming again like they were in the SNES era.After all, the list of great games from that time that could use a sequel, remake or reboot today is simple too big to tell. Too bad they're too retard to do that and miss easy money. We're stuck in an endless circle of Marios, Zeldas, pokemons and recently Star foxes. Nintendo really fucked up in forgetting their old gems.

For now, anyway.Hopefully some companies like Konami will break though and their ips will go to someone else that won't treat them like shit.