So I was told this fight was basically a parry tutorial and if I didn't master the parry by the end of it I'd be fucked...

So I was told this fight was basically a parry tutorial and if I didn't master the parry by the end of it I'd be fucked later. As such I've been on this fight for an hour now and have yet to actually execute a parry successfully - once or twice I've gotten a counterattack looking animation off, but it fails to connect and I've still done no damage. Is there some trick to this that I'm just not getting?

You, tap towards the attacker and attack, right?

Yeah, I can block attacks just fine about 80% of the time, I just can't pull off the counter hit.

I wish there was an eye rolling animation.

Block
as soon as enemies attack hits
push towards and attack

Are you using a keyboard and mouse?
I did that fight for an hour or so on kb+m, then another 15 minutes on a second session. When I switched to controller fucking finally got x360ce working I cleared it first time

It helps to be aggressive, the counter doesn't give you enough time to do a lot of damage. You're better off getting a heavy attack in between his dash attack

dodge and punish is best playstyle, parrying for nerds.

That's exactly what I've been doing. I assume I'm doing it too early, but everytime I wait even a little I end up taking the hit.

Playing on PS3

Yeah, just for a change of pace I tried fighting how I normally fight in action games, since I usually favor dodging over blocking/parrying and I tore through him relatively easily, but I've been told this is a mechanic that is pretty much necessary to S Rank the game, so I figure I should master it now.

move your stick, press x
you can do this at anytime.

and by x i mean square

You just need to learn how to block if you are in the lower difficulties, and it looks like you got it. Go forth and continue the game. You will slowly get parrying by playing normally.

Pretty sure you're parrying well enough to survive the rest of the game. I finished pretty handily on Hard and just now realized after seeing this thread that maybe the counter-attack after the parry is actually based on getting the right timing rather than just a random thing that happens sometimes or based on holding the attack button down.

PLAY THE FUCKING TUTORIAL

Maybe you didn't lock onto your target? Try pressing the R2 button. It makes combat more easier to focus.

When people say that this fight is the parrying tutorial they mean the block.

It isn't possible to get a counter-hit on every single attack - there are plenty that can be blocked against but not countered.

You're gonna take the rest of the game on just fine.

Yeah, the command itself I get, I just am unable to get the hang of timing it.

Playing on Hard, trying for all S ranks.

I did

I have been for this fight thankfully, but thanks for mentioning it, because it took me an embarassing long while to figure it out and it doesn't seem to work on the Ray fight in the first stage for some reason, the camera just went out of control the whole time

Fair enough, so I should just focus on clearing the fight without getting hit and not try to pull off counter hits?

dont take damage you nigger

Don't worry about not taking damage.

That comes later.

I've gotten up to the part where the Gekkou shows up without taking damage so far, I still haven't gotten the hang of fighting these.

Is it possible to get an S after taking damage though? I've been pretty heavily conditioned by Rockman Zero to think of taking any hits as an instant disqualification

Have you been parrying before this fight? Try restarting the mission (it's not that long), and just fight and parry regular enemies until you get the hang of it. You need to execute the parry a little before the enemy attack hits, which is often a little after you see the yellow flash.

I tried testing it out on the goons in the opening of the first stage and pulled it off there, and then subsequently failed to ever pull it off again.

It is possible, just unlikely.

This.

It's the blocking tutorial. Even if you do get a successful counterattack, Wolf will probably backflip out of the way of it, so don't worry about it.

You don't need to master the counter attack. All you need is to be able to "block" stuff by parrying it normally. The counter attack is a much more precise action, you'll only ever truly need it if you try to get high grades in the campaign or VR missions. It's unnecessary for just beating the campaign.

Other than that make sure you know how to Zandatsu the generic enemies that come in the middle of the fight.

I really can't imagine you'll have much fun trying to get no damage your first time through. At least save it for Revengeance so you can get the achievement.

Really though, just relax. If you can't handle a certain part of the game, you'll know when you get to it. Some of the fights ahead are so fantastic that you'll enjoy getting frustrated/stuck against them.

Nah, you won't be fucked, it's more a test to see if you can guard than if you can parry. Parry isn't a guaranteed thing anyways, some enemies and most bosses will dodge or block a parry attack and there's several attacks that're blockable but simply can't be parried.

Blocking is that raise-your-sword guarding animation, parrying is achieved by a successful block just barely before (or at, if your timing's right) the attack connects. Think of it as a game of chicken, the closer you get to the point of no return the better.

Revengeance is actually super easy if you're doing a no-damage run, because your counter attacks get boosted by an insane degree.

Actually easier than Very Hard.

Make sure you play the DLC too. Jetstream is an incredibly fun "mission" and well worth playing multiple times.

Wolf's dlc is a stealth mission more than anything though.

Damn, with how terrible I'm performing overall it probably won't happen either.

That explains why the ones that looked successful still did nothing.

That's the thing, I'm gunning for all S Ranks.

The regular grunts are fine, but I need to pound on the Gekkou until part of him glows blue right? I feel like I take too long on them and missing something.

I just feel like anything less is taking the easy way out in games with ranks I guess.

That's the game I'm playing though? Or is that the name of a bonus super hard mode?

I'm hoping I get this stuck fighting the last boss if only for the music

If it goes on sale I will, hard to justify when it each costs as much as I paid for the game

Sam's mission surprised me with how flat-out good it was, I was expecting him to be something of a Raiden reskin but instead he playing something close to a Devil May Cry character, if that comparison makes any sense.

Also made me wonder why Sam's sword didn't double as a boss-weapon in Raiden's hands on account of the charge mechanic. Hell, Raiden mimicked Sam's posture just before facing Armstrong, so I was half-expecting him to ape Sam's style as well.

Nigger what? The pc version is like the dark souls pc version, DLC automatically included

it's a bonus hardest-difficulty mode, except not really because of how wildly the attack power of parries are boosted, Very Hard is actually harder

When you finish the main game put the Konami Code in on the title screen, up up down down left right left right B A

Playing on the PS3, I found a new copy with the Cyborg Ninja code for about 1000 yen.

Nice, glad to see Konami remembers it's own history. Guessing they use X for B and O for A?

Counterattacks aren't necessary. The only other move you really should get good at is the move where you jump back while slashing, since it gives you invincibility.

I haven't seen or heard of any move like that at all. Is it one that unlocks later, or one of the ones I need to buy in the upgrade screen? I've been avoiding upgrades so far since I've been trying to get good.

Raiden didn't get the sheathe, so he couldn't charge.

MGRR was fuckin easy af. kys noobniggers

You have to be perfect in all the rankings to get a S-rank, but No Damage can be substituted for not being perfect in an area.

So if you take damage, you'll need to get max rank on time, zandatsu, score, etc.

I rely on No Damage because I like to take my sweet ass time

It is an upgrade IIRC. Jump and attack buttons at the same time causes you to slash and sidestep giving invincibility frames to dodge.

Just play the game, stop trying to get all S ranks. It is only worth it after you cleared the game and are on Revengeance difficulty.

Oof, yeah, I'll need that then.

That sounds like a useful ability then.

He did, though, the sword was locked in the firearm sheathe until the timer Sam set counted down.

Flibbity floo here's your (You)

He did get the sheathe, he just threw it away like a retard
The real answer to why Raiden can't use Sam's style is because they made it specifically for the Jetstream DLC developed after the game had already come out, and didn't think to retroactively let Raiden use it

I wonder if mods let you play through the main campaign as Sam/Wolf or as Raiden in the DLC.

No Damage doesn't guarantee S rank, though if you did well enough to get it you're probably at an S anyway unless you're a faggot and used the cheat sword, then you probably got a B

Only have the default sword so far, the Fox Sword if that's the broken one costs 200K anyway.

I think there's some fights where it's possible to get a high combo or number of zandatsus fast enough to make up for the no damage bonus.

Defensive Offence. Should be Square and Cross at the same time. Optionally use your left analog stick to jump in a specific direction. I played MGR:R on PC a while back with an xbox controller, I think square and cross are the equivalent buttons

Yes, you do need to buy it, it should be the first one. (Also buy air parrying, it will help against certain enemies and a particular boss)

Also he may not be able to use Sam's style because it's a very specific martial art that he doesn't know. It actually makes more sense that he can't.

It's possible to do it for every fight, they all have different requirements. Some are just more bullshit than others, so No Damage is the catch all for mitigating it.

To add on to the Defensive Offense thing, you can also tap Blade Mode to cancel some moves, notably only the forward version of Offensive Defense can be cancelled, but not the sideways or backwards version.

I was speaking from a purely gameplay perspective. Of course it wouldn't make sense in-story for him to use Sam's moves.

Buy Defensive Offense and use it, if you learn its secrets it's a real life saver against the final boss

MGRR Tutorial For Retards:

Red moves you parry, gold moves you Offensive Defense.
You can block/parry things you don't think you can. If it isn't gold, go for it, even if you think "this is stupid"
Use the EMP grenades on Monsoon the Supreme Gentleman
Backtrack constantly or just look up where the extra fights are because Platinum
Juggling is good. Forward > Forward > Light Attack (X on 360 pad) is a knock up. Take to the skies
Enemies with RPGs are bullshit. Focus on taking them out. Learn their aim/shoot timings. Yes they will do this in melee range, in enclosed rooms and from offscreen. No there is nothing you can do about it.
Pray to your impotent gods that the camera doesn't fuck you.

And most importantly: have fun.

Are Defensive Offense and Offensive Defense the same thing? Playing in Moon, and I'm only seeing one skill that matches, "Attack and Defense as One" 攻防一体

There's one move which name's means something like that, the rest are called things like lightning thrust, throat slasher, etc. Must be that one.

Yeah that's the one. I always fuck up which order it goes in. But yes it's a dodging slash with I-frames. You use it against attacks where enemies glow Gold because those can't be parried. Parry errthing else.

Got it, thanks. Any others I should be picking up and adding to my repertoire other than the aerial block, or is everything else just Easy Mode stuff?

I remember finishing the game on Normal without knowing about that technique. I did hear that there was a special technique, but I never looked it up. While fighting Armstrong on Hard and getting my ass handled by that grabbing technique he sometimes does(he can even catch you while you are in the air with it), did I look at the list of techniques I had bought. I saw some bullshit that used X+A(Xbox controller) so I decided to try that. Let me tell you something, that fight went from impossible to piss easy with just one simple technique.

Lightning Strike and Red Hot Kick are pretty useful if you blade cancel them.

I mean, pick up everything. You can afford. I forget the names of like all the attacks but I believe the forward forward light attack one is one you have to buy. It's a good launcher. You can do it after ninja run strong attack slide tackle for example to seamlessly transition into fucking that guy's day right up.

Alright, I'll have to pick them all up and figure them out at some point I guess for now it's back to being a shitter and dying in glorified cut scenes because I can't into 3D games

Alright well try to remember that MGRR is the Best Worst Game of All Time. Or arguably the Worst Best Game of All Time. Hard to say.

The things that are good about it are fucking fantastic and the things that are bad are inexcusable fucking travesties.

It's a true Cuhrayzee game. No bland middle of the road here.

I would've been happy with Raiden aping Sam's style and flailing about trying to do the same things, or even just using heavy-attack to make use of the weapon's pistol-release as a projectile. Hell, Raiden's theoretical moveset and Sam's DLC moveset would probably still be different enough that it wouldn't be even remotely similar, Raiden could ape Sam's boss moveset that featured catastrophically powerful charges with high windup and a lot of grapples while Sam keeps his current DLC moveset.

Do the camera and these "run toward the screen while the bridge falls out from under you" type glorified cut scenes count?

Absolutely. Also, the insta-kill precision blade mode bits in the Armstrong fight, and the RPG enemies. The precision blade mode bit in the Sundowner fight and the inclusion of motherfucking helicopters were shit too.

And any bits in the Monsoon fight where he did his smoke grenade jump attack bits where you were near the wall because of the camera again.

If Bladewolf didn't teach you to block, Monsoon will make sure you have no more problems shitting for the rest of your life.

Like what, exactly? The game was a little rough around the edges in a few places, but I can't think of anything in the game that comes close to being an inexcusable travesty.
Also, the best worst game of all time is Deadly Premonition.

>what are emp grenades?

Well you gotta give Platinum credit, they only had like a year to make this and no one had any expectations anywhere. How the game came out was nothing short of a miracle.

Top pleb

See here: >>9693576

Oh absolutely. MGRR is too beautiful for this world and sadly we'll never get another one.

The Monsoon fight was the only area of the game where I actually died Well, aside from some QTE instakills and the Armstrong fight, which went pretty much like except I was on hard

Why should I even care?

I find all of those things to be minor annoyances at worst.

Read again, I said I finished it on normal, and during the Armstrong fight on hard did I figure out that technique.

Don't you want to be

S T Y L I S H ?

You don't NEED to counter. Block then bash.

After your first parrying you can keep on parrying again.
To do this: REMEMBER TO BRING THE ANALOGUE STICK BACK TO NEUTRAL.
YOU CAN'T HOLD IT FORWARD TO CONSTANTLY PARRY.
EACH PARRY REQUIRES IT'S OWN INDIVIDUAL PARRY ACTION.
On later bosses you'll be constantly slamming the stick back and forth

You don't need to let the after-parry animation finish, you can interrupt it/cancel it with a block

Also remember to lock on to him.

Btw this is the first parry tutorial, Jetstream Sam is probably the last.

you won't be able to master it now, it comes with playing the game and from different enemies

tutorial is ok for the basics but actually getting the intricacy and feeling for parrying? nope

try playing normal to get a hang of the game first.
S rank is for later

you mean red flash, yellow moves can't be parried

nigger you're trying to do BMX tricks before you can even ride a push bike with stabilizers.
Play the damn game first.

I loved Sam's mission.
Sure the bosses and the missions were the same ish but by god did I love his different style

don't. you haven't beaten the game yet on all difficulties nor will you have unlocked all the upgrades.

that's just retarded, means you wont have the moves and damage upgrades to be cuhrayzee.
Sure the health wont matter but they will for S ranks

this

fuck me, I thought I knew this game but I'm still learning shit.
Though to be honest, Bayonetta and DMC have driven into me that items are cheap and to be avoided

No he isn't, he's pretty fucking easy to beat without parrying.

Monsoon is the point where you will need to learn how to parry, or the Sewer Boss.

In both the Devil May Cry games and Bayonetta, when using items affected my score. I never used consumables in those games. In MGR, the game doesn't tax me for it, so why should I care. From the game's perspective I am just as stylish using consumables as when not using. In fact I would receive a greater score, for when fighting Monsoon as those emp grenades end the fight quite quickly.

Something to note that I don't see enough people mention is that bosses are weak to their own weapons. The staff wrecks the mooks in Mistral's fights, and the charged sai disable Monsoon, without worrying about missing or running out like grenades.

The exception is the non-weapon dropping bosses and Sundowner, since his weapon is pretty useless aside from maybe busting UG's and he's a really, really easy boss. It's a shame since he's so cool, but most people accidentally kill him without even reaching his second mode.

Your a moron.

Good luck doing a no damage Monsoon run without parrying.

Let alone good luck doing Monsoon without parries.

Parrying is literally just timing in this game.

that fucking attack where he sends his body parts after you, still triggers me to this day

parrying in this meme game is just like the insta kill counter in assassins creed games

fags say you need it because it makes the game ultra easy

The only reason I knew he even had a second form was because I once watched a video of somebody fighting him and actually destroying his shields. I never understood why you would need to do this, if he charges at you just jump, if he puts his shield to explode on impact, just use the sai it will trigger the explosion, but it won't harm you. If it's charged you can even disable him for two seconds to get near him and do some damage.

I'm really sensitive to shitty game design and/or things that make a game feel untested. Like there's some things that are very obviously not fun, like say a shitty camera or more easily fixable: enemies that use rocket launchers in melee range. They'll literally just blast the fucking floor, knock you over, and then you get swamped. It's dumb and the only counter play is to stealth through the area or get lucky. You can't really dodge it and they sometimes won't switch weapons when you go after them so it's a dice roll.

I literally just played that fight again. All you have to do is keep mashing the light attack in his direction. It's got a pretty consistent rhythm, too, so you don't really have to react

but Armstrong has a subpar theme. The hype is in his VA and cutscenes

my god how pleb

Yeah, but if Im remembering it correctly.

Sometimes it will be 4 kicks, sometimes it will be 3 kicks, sometimes only 1 or 2.

And I would always end up getting hit on like the last one when I wasn't expecting another attack and then would have to re do the whole fight again.

It drove me nuts.

Yeah bro. I'm the same way about Items except on Monsoon. The game literally drops them for you, because you're supposed to EMP him when he's doing the "can't hit me I'm in too many pieces" bit, then blade mode smack his smug fedora wearing head off then go wail on it a bit.

And yeah, gold attacks are unblockable so you use the dodge on 'em. It can be a bit of a cunt in small areas when the camera decides to prison fuck you. (See, that one room before Sundowner, after the japanese garden, where it's like a little town-room with a bunch of fighters and two robot gorillas. I hated that room because the camera was unkind)

If only the mastiffs didnt have that fucking annoying stun move they would be fun to fight

Frankly the only reason I didn't use any items is because the system felt so clunky it detracted from the game in my opinion.

tbh I never bothered to use the boss weapons either.

Monsoon's sai is only good against helicopters/other flying enemies and Sundowner's explosive shields.

I honestly don't find them annoying at all. How do you mash directions when you're stunned? Don't tell me you just move the analog stick back and forth with your thumb like a pleb.

Bloodlust was satisfying to use against the heavier enemies, and the polearm was useful when there's a lot of small faggots with little health jumping around.

Mistral's weapon was good. The others seemed pretty useless outside of very specific scenarios.

monsoons sai is pretty good for mobility