The Lack of New Animation IPs

Do you ever get jaded or disheartened by the lack of new IPs in animation? Nowadays, many cartoons, whether they be on television or subscription services, are just old shit with mediocre or average art styles and writing. Comics, animated movies, video games and now anime are getting their own cartoon adaptations. And it's starting to become a glut.

I know its for various business reasons; subscriptions and ads aren't efficient at maximizing profit to get capital for new IPs, and TV ratings have dried up to the point where networks can no longer pay "third-party" studios to make cartoons like they used to in the 2000s. Ergo, new IPs have become a needless risk with no reward, but it feels like we're being conditioned to accept this sort of content. And it seems to be working to a degree; It's almost masochistic in a way.

It just goes to show how stagnant and uncompetitive the animation industry has become. It's essentially a dying cartel desperately trying obtain the minuscule amount of profit there is, only to be replaced by a far more superior power, as more people move onto streaming. And that's where there's hope. Not in Netflix, but in independent studios producing new unique works and showing them online. Perhaps one day, we'll get our animation renaissance on a platform truly dedicated to these passionate think-outside-the-box type creators and their groundbreaking visions and innovations in animation.

Other urls found in this thread:

vidlii.com/watch?v=vBXmUrjcGFy
youtube.com/watch?v=yyXyyN0EWkg
youtube.com/watch?v=xMS6WuAlovk
youtube.com/watch?v=5_gCHU9fi3k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Toy sales are way down my man thats kind of the reason why we are in such a slouch

Thanks for bringing that up. Forgot to mention that. Toy sales were the closest thing the industry had to a pay-what-you-want business model, they were the backbone of most shows back in the day, as the shows themselves were not profitable solely on ads.

Now people are so content with mobile gadgets and e-celebs that toys have essentially become antiques. This wouldn't be a problem if networks sold their shows directly to the consumer, like vidya does. But just like vidya, that would create competition, numerous studios to stay ahead of, even in certain genres. So it'll do what every other dinosaur industry always does, digs its heels in until it's too weak to stand up for itself.

I wanna cum inside eeyore

I dislike that Walt Disneys philosophy has been turned around.

We don't make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.

The way business is run has been completely poisoned by tying in the decisions of those in charge to the interest of the shareholders/investors. An investor isn't interested in a studio that can make a show that inspires an IP that can grow at 5% over the next 30 years. An investor wants to throw down money and get the maximum return on a project by next year. Most of them aren't even familiar enough with the industry they are putting their money into to make informed choices on who to run it or what to do. And that's the problem. Why try something new when you can just recycle another idea that's already proven successful?

Animation has become infinitely cheaper and easier to do over time. I can say this because youtube has dozens of channels where people do it as a hobby for a pittance off of artist welfare sites and can pull of high quality animation. Not to mention the simple facts of tablets becoming a cheap, effective, and powerful tool. Soon duo neural networks will devise a method for tweening and animating in a method that is indistinguishable from normal techniques. At which point we'll finally see the pretense fall away.

The reason we don't see new IP's is because absolutely nothing about the process is about making something for people to enjoy anymore. Sure, there are people at the very ground level that want to do that, but their input is ignored and contributions greatly appreciated for helping the bottom line. However the only projects that are going to get anywhere are those with at least a little investment, and those investments are only go to things that aging buisnessmen who haven't read a book that wasn't about finance law and may have never seen a television show outside of market analysis programs.

As it is, there simply isn't enough 'waste' to allow new IP's to flourish. Companies only want mega-hits or focus tested guarantees of mediocrity they can sell with ad revenue. The market for consumption is stretched so thin with debt, low wages, a housing bubble, a health care bubble, record workplace stress and absolutely no job security. So you aren't going to get any kind of success trying to get money from them. The only path forward is to wait for things to collapse, then use the tools left behind to start over. Like a cleansing fire through an overgrown forest.

So I guess, yes, OP, I have gotten a little jaded about this.

Never gonna happen. The conundrum with internet streaming is because video hosting isn't cheap, niche upstarts can only operate for so long until they need to actually rake in dough to stay open. The idea of a creator-friendly platform dedicated to indie animation sounds nice on paper, but it's not one you can build and sustain a business on without a few caveats.

It's funny that you say this because the video game industry is in a similar pickle: just selling games doesn't cut it anymore, so players are being nickel and dimed at every turn so developers and publishers actually can turn a profit. Innovation only counts in the indie sector because it's necessary to separate one game from everything else. Even then, it's not always applied where it should (the gameplay) and real success still comes down to luck and word-of-mouth.

What is the most recent (original IP) merchandise driven cartoon anyway?

This does feel pretty true. The big companies want THE NEXT BIG THING not a slow burner while ignoring the past being filled with successful franchises that started out as slow burning before becoming hits.
>Rugrats, when Nickelodeon first launched with it, Ren & Stimpy and Doug. The expectation was Doug to be the breakaway hit of the three, instead Rugrats ended up getting 3 seasons, followed by a 5 year hiatus where it's rerun viewer ratings were consistent and apparently very high, enough for the series to get new seasons, and 3 movies the Rugrats/Wild Thornberries movie crossover was original a TV movie that remade for a cinema release by the ex's demands and then the spin off All Growed Up.

Now it feels like we just get new series that last a single season with annoying cliffhangers for cancelled 2nd season that never get resolved because potential viewers that are too scared to watch in the first place because the look at it and think it gonna get cancelled leading to the self fulling reality of it actually getting cancelled.

I get more disheartened by the fact that people and animators are more interested in the idea of making shitty remakes/reboots of older shows and wanting to taint past works that ended finely just so they can shove in some moronic modern humor/memes, mediocre CalArts animation, make it more politically correct or use it as a platform for whatever moronic social activist movement is going on. For some reason, vid-related has been trending a lot recently in the past month or so and I see a lot of odd faggots begging for a Dexter's lab reboot where he and Mandark should fuck each other do to some crazy ass shipping retardation. Same goes for Ed, Edd n Eddy. Bring back old shit, fuck it up or make it worse and then give it really shitty animation that pales in comparison to the original, much like the abomination that is Teen Titans Go and nu-Power Puff Girls. I mean, I'd rather have them make new shitty garbage like SU where they can do whatever stupid shit they want rather than having them take something well known that was fine as is then make into their own personal bastardization.

Never change Holla Forums

Hey Holla Forums, I see that you're talking to yourself that's cool.

Hey faggot, glad to see you added more to your forced meme.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

If anybody in the industry gave a rat's ass, we could be mining comics for IPs for animation.
Midnite the Rebel Skunk, Bade Biker and Orsen, Bug & Stump, Slapstick, Bone, Beanworld, The Adventures of Captain Jack…

Why did I read "Al Quaeda" as "Joe Quesada"?

Platforms could operate like gaming digital distribution, yes it's got a lot of problems, but at the time it came out, it opened up the industry to everyone. Anyone around the world regardless of their location(s) or how established they were in the industry could self-publish their games to the world market. And this is where the pay-what-you-want model comes into play, because that would be how indie animation creators get the capital they need to sustain and expand the budgets for their works and reinvest them into their next projects, by having the consumers give their money directly to them instead of going through needless intermediaries.

Transactional digital distribution sustained the multi-billion dollar gaming industry, it should be able to sustain animation. And with the massive amount of profit generated, the indie animation scene would become competitive, and with that comes variety and quality. And when word spreads about a treasure trove of varied high-quality animation, it'll be the final nail in the coffin for legacy networks.

That's because of the copyright monopolies publishers have over popular game franchises. Of course they'd nickel and dime their consumers when no one can legally make better versions of their games. And yes, artificially popular e-celebs and their throngs of fans do fuck with the indie scene, but since most indie developers don't have the advantage of presiding over popular franchises, they are incentivised to make their games stand out, how they do so is a factor of their games' quality.

Wtf I wanna fug that girl dog now too

Reminder that this faggot killed the board.

It's less to do with the comeptency and character of investors, shareholders and executives, and more a matter that they're all operating in a cartel where no studio outside their clique can compete with them and change the industry. It's not profit that's the problem, it's the way the system is set up in favor of them. We always hear about this false dichotomy of "cash over creativity" or vice versa. As if both are mutually exclusive. Why don't we have cash and creativity? The market used to do an excellent job of creating an environment where great and varied animation could be made while generating a high amount of profit. But since Hollywood gets subsidies, tax credits, legal union privileges and a whole host of other corporatism, you can't get that anymore, at least not from legacy sources.

If we returned to the way things were, studios would be incentivised to make their works worth their consumers' time and money, while generating profit for executives, shareholders and investors. It would be stupid to make shit animation. Very few would want to watch that, and they would flock to studios worth their money.

Now, there's a growing scene of indie animators online, at film festivals and some have even made respected foreign animated films and shows. There's a growing hidden market of quality animation, overshadowed by Hollywood, and if it can be tapped into, we'll see a revolution in animation that has never been nor ever will be again. Hang in their user, there's still hope.

When do you think we'll get this platform? What would it look like?

nobody cares

i legitimately hope you die goon

WATZAP Holla Forums!!!!!!

Careful – talking back to the sagefag can get you banned here.

Shiftkeys broken.

Hey Holla Forums

It's a big salty Banjo-Tooie reference, that's why

I think there are some good potential IPs on the internet I could post.

Lay them on us, user.

And the few that do last longer end up getting re-run constantly or have hiatuses so long that most people drop the series.

I'll start off with more well known ones. Tara Billinger is working on a cartoon called Long Gone Gulch. I think it looks kinda neat, but it could go either way.

Another one I can think of is Becky Prim, which was posted a lot last year. I think it's being developed by a guy who worked on storyboards for Bunnicula. I thought it was pretty cool when I watched it.

Whether you like them or not, they're the most interesting mainstream upcoming cartoon IPs on the internet I can think of.

I could move on to lesser known online creators, if you'd like. But I don't wanna seem like I'm shilling them.

Oh, and here's an image of Long Gone Gulch, by the way. It should be neat if it ends up getting released soon, anyway.

Didn't they had to change the name of the Indian character because someone complained it was offensive? I think the original name was Buffalo Wings or something.

They did, yes. But after that they basically stopped listening to retards on tumblr and did their own thing. She's just BW now.

Oh good then. Glad to see they stuck to their guns.

Looks okay, the designs are nice.

Just means they'll cave if the pressure is high.

Could that have anything to do with toy manufacturers trying to market crap that kids don't like? Been seeing it happen with Star Wars, but I haven't paid attention to the industry as a whole. I just keep seeing odd stuff like girl nerf toys that don't move off the shelf over months.

Seems like isekai is going to be the next big cartoon trend.

GIVE ME MY TRENDIES BACK!!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

vidlii.com/watch?v=vBXmUrjcGFy

rip

I just realized the Native girl looks like a hipster.

wait until the next economic collapse. it's coming. a generation grows up having to make their own entertainment rather than having it fed to them. You'll see some shit.

Just look at what World War II did for Rock Music. US Rock music was campy as fuck. The british invasion push rock music and heavy metal because you have a country that got fistfucked by the war, and kids found their own entertainment post war, dealt with fatherless households, etc. Music was their escape, this blues music from the US was cool as fuck and werent turned off by the fact black people made it, and decided to try it themselves.

Old animation from the 30's was literally shit that came out of animators' minds.

baby boomers grew up watching that shit, but also made their own entertainment, and they ended up creating the second golden age of animation. (there was a huge defecit of new IPs and new formulas until the 1980s, when baby boomer animators got to the age where they could talk to studio heads with NEW ideas.

You also had studio execs who were willing to take risks as well.

These days we have studio execs unwilling to take risks, and want cookie cutter, and a talent deprived and creatively bankrupt generation of animators who know how to kiss the right about of ass to get greenlit over "riskier" animators.

Plus these talentless hacks will work for next to nothing. Just to be fired and replaced after they are done.

Here are some more potential IPs even if I don't really care for them much. I could spill some online animators soon. There's like 2 that I discovered last year or so that are pretty solid.

Attached: 1519761130809.jpg (2500x3125 2.84 MB, 1.38M)

Left is weeb junk and right Cal Turd. They are copycats and no fucking potential like the old cartoons they will age very bad for sure.

Attached: 1519798405432.jpg (985x1397, 510.19K)

That one on the left kinda looks interesting

As I said, I'm not very interested in them. They're just really 'meh.'

Didn't saw the rest of the post somehow, sorry.

Do it please.

There's a few I've found recently. Again, they're not perfect, but they seem far different from the mainstream professional animators that are on TV today.
youtube.com/watch?v=yyXyyN0EWkg
youtube.com/watch?v=xMS6WuAlovk
youtube.com/watch?v=5_gCHU9fi3k

Should probably post some of their art and stuff as well.

Attached: tumblr_ooqn9jrllF1tpslseo1_500.gif (550x400 188.16 KB, 800.52K)

They remind me of some early flash animations. I liked the 2nd animation.

I like the art direction of the last two, the gifs.

I've been following Atrox for years now. His work has been entertaining and his dedication to it inspiring for me through some rough times, so I sure wish success for his creations, the recently released comicbook being a good start.

there was this guy ,making scp stuff
too bad scp is now pozzed beyond salvation

Explain.

community went to fuck couple of years ago, "problematic" stuff from certain SCPs got removed, or said SCPs were decomissioned
Also, the later entries sometimes(but not always) have stuff like pronouns and shit

The shorts of this guy are unfunny stuff that collides with SCP mood. Animation is good, yes, but nothing more.
I mean, if you want animated( or at least drawn) SCP stuff, check out the channel SCP Illustrated. Not animated, but its something, and the art gets better, if you want to know, because video is from its first ones.

I want to see now that boy as Mussolini, and the dogs dressed in Italian military clothing from the 30's

I just want the CalArts style to fuck off and die. You know the style i'm talking about; OK KO, TTG, Star VS, Steven Universe, it's like there's very few cartoons currently out there that don't use potatoheads and overly bright backgrounds and I'm goddamn sick of it. I think that new TMNT and Transformers shows and Ponyshit are the only things currently/soon-to-be the airwaves right now that don't do it, and I'm repulsed by the first for various reasons, not optimistic about the second, and hate the third.

You get banned for calling a tranny a man

Combination of circlejerking and faggotry/trannyism did the community in.

Attached: scpadmin.png (1903x849, 268.01K)