Where were you when Razer of all people created higher quality product and sold it for cheaper than the competition?

Where were you when Razer of all people created higher quality product and sold it for cheaper than the competition?

Other urls found in this thread:

osvr.org/partner.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It could be fucking amazing to have a vr headset in a flight sim.

It's a gimmick at this point.

According to what or whom

Yeah if only there were some good flight sims for VR devices, probably could have saved it from being just a gimmick.

VR itself isn't a gimmick, just like how motion controls weren't.
The problem is that most games will only use it as a gimmick.

Seriously though what kind of specs are we talking about here? I doubt it's actually using high quality parts at that price point.

It's equivalent to the vive or rift technically. But the vive has room tracking that works.

For those here that don't know the first version of HDK had tons of issues, the firmware has to be reflashed with special hardware.

I was waiting for this and reccomended often to others here to wait until this version comes out. It's going to be the standard for several years to come.

Breddy much

The wii was all hype and yet devs more or less gave up trying to do new shit and simply used it for simple waving motions

Those are some nice specs, same res as the CV1?

This thing is going to be like android, sure it wasnt as good as the iphone as first but it became the standard because any chink factory could churn out android phones so prices plummeted and specs went up

Same with this thing

Cool.

I'll wait until it is.

I thank you for letting me know this even exists, but I do not appreciate being told how to think or what to do. I'll wait until it 'is' the standard, not before.

All I care about when it comes to this whole "vr" thing is a screen right up to my eyes and head tracking. I think it will help to immerse you into some kinds of games. I also think it would be neat to throw away my monitors and only use these.
I don't care about memey things such as NSA approved room tracking and le wiimote controls.

If only there were some good flight sims AT ALL. It seems like the entire market has dried the fuck up.

I'll probably just grab a Gear VR for now, I've got a good phone that's supposed to work with it. I don't need hobbyist bullshit yet.

Welp, here I am at +6. Guess that settles me never, ever using VR.

Finally
over 60Hz. Now there's no excuse left to buy a Zuckerbergolus product as the cheapest competition isn't lagging in specs anymore.
Will still choose PSVR but now there's a PC VR option that is neither undiluted cancer nor a complete ripoff if >>>/vir/1827 doesn't come true.

Yeah and that's exactly what they're doing for VR headsets right now. Take an android phone off a manufacturing line and slap it into a case with lenses.

Most consumers aren't interested in VR that isn't self contained, very few people have typical desktop computers or powerful laptops in China. PC cafes are still popular all over Asia as nobody wants to invest in an expensive computer that can be stolen or pay for shitty internet access.

OSVR is targeting China as an emerging market by going after those PC cafes. They're competing against Android VR not the Vive or the Rift.

pointer controls were way more common and easy to do. what was supposed to be an extension of your hand ended up being mouse that requires batteries.

It is best to wait a couple years until the hardware becomes cheaper and actual games have been developed.

Let the gimmick addicted hipsters test drive this shit for a few years until it gets better and cheaper Until then, it is not worth the money.

Razer's viral marketing team.

I'll tell you right now that a VR headset in a flight sim is great. I've got a DK2 and have really enjoyed it, despite the screen-door effect of being low resolution, and the other weird quirks.

Played through HL2VR as well, which was decent. I'd say most traitional FPS games wouldn't really benefit though

As someone who actually tested it, it's about equal to the Vive and superior to the Rift, which isn't much of an accomplishment because (((cuckerberg))) thinks everyone who uses his shit is a dumbfuck.

I'm just worried about durability. Razer products aren't known for lasting. That said, the Razer CEO is a genuinely and literally cool guy. Just listening to the way his voice sounds when he speaks is pretty cool, like some narrator of a good cyberpunk film (if it existed).

The headset isn't competing with anything really, it's reference model for developers although HDK1.4 is bretty gud. Main reason why OSVR is great is that it provides common backend and works with any and all HMD on any and all OS and architecture with any and all engine. If Razer and all the big industry names backing OSVR keep their shit together it might become a proper fully open standard for VR, desktop or mobile.

HDK is upgradeable so early adopters don't get fucked as hard. Still better to wait.

Would HDK2 and Hydra work okay together?

Hydra and Leap are directly supported by OSVR or there's official plugin for the server at least. Yeah.

The best part about OSVR is that it is open source and lets you run it without Oculus store or Steam unlike the Oculus and Vive.

Is the screen on the V2 of the HDK upgradable? Until they come out and say so that might only apply to the V1.x . Still a decent deal even if it's not the case.

And right now their OSVR platform is fighting against Oculus and Android VR. Google, Facebook and Valve are doing all they can to lock down their walled gardens, with Valve they know allowing other devices on is a net positive as it'll bring in new long term customers so they support OpenVR. None wants to support open industry standards they're not in control of and might help them lose their grip later on. That's why this list of partners doesn't have any heavy hitters on it:

osvr.org/partner.html

Asides for several major game engine makers. Why would they when it makes porting to stores where they don't get a cut easier?

Why do we need a "standard" for VR anyway? OpenGL has supported stereoscopic displays for decades now.

That would cover output, not input headtracking. Furthermore VR is a lot more sensitive to latency than normal gaming which can clash with some optimizations that make sense in normal gaming but not in VR.

I thought that was for the special lens, don't these support glasses? Or isn't there a module that supports glasses?

I hope it will be good enough wit old games too.
My monitor is getting pretty fucking old and if this shit is good enough for all around gaming i could consider keeping the monitor for internet and shit and use this for gaming,probably better than shelling 499+ for a good 1440p 120fps monitor.

I thought the whole idea was that every part was replaceable and upgradeable? so couldn't you just buy the display and shove it into your older headset, I mean I know technology isn't always just that simple but I thought this was the plan here.

At least it's still a mountain cheaper than the alternatives.

You're gonna need a monitor surely, older games won't just be compatible, some will have hacks, some will just not work with VR at all, it's gonna be a mess.

You're also not gonna be able to wear a headset all night

Well old games don't really gain nothing from more than 60fps or more than 800x600 resolution and at worse i could use the TV screen for them.
What hold me back most is i don't want to pay 399 for a VR set that gets old and surpassed in a year.

Aren't these light as fuck, I've worn NVGs all night and I was fine.

Also the Night Sky through NVGs is amazing.

Too an extent that's going to be every VR headset, but the OSVR is designed to be upgrade-able, you can just replace the older parts with new ones so nest year or the year after when they push out the 4k display you can just buy that replace your old one and enjoy 4k. Assuming they haven't decided to change that, we don't even have word on wether the 1.x are compatible with the 2.x but they certainly fucking better be.

Well that would be nice if the price isn't too high.I can go without 4k,resolution but mostly is the tech behind it,movement recognition etc. that worries me.But this seems good,thanks for the information user.

See the image above that says HDK2, that's the way parts are segmented. notice that the Mainboard and the Faceplate control movement and the display just displays stuff. As long as they don't backpedal and they keep up with the competition in terms of hardware it's the best.

Yup saw it.I'll keep my eyes on it and probably i'm going to get it.

You can wear glasses with HDK but unless your sight is utter shit you won't need them, lenses are adjustable per eye.

You either buy upgrade kits from Razer or just get the parts on your own, full schematics and specs for parts are on their git repo.

That would get freetards triggered to no end because while open source, it's not free. Everything you do with it is automatically re-licensed back to Razer and becomes their IP. Though it's supposed to prevent gigakikes from patenting technologies that are part of OSVR - they can't patent old shit because prior art, and they can't patent new shit because Razer already owns it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense tbh. Any optimizations after the gl calls are entirely up to the driver, so unless they're literally patching in some kind of low-latency mode into the driver, there's not much that can be done. What's more probable is that graphics vendors develop some sort of extension to provide that mode.

The problem is more that queued render commands can't be edited to make sure they're using the most up-to-date data (ex. for the camera matricies). This is resolved in Vulkan with the concept of command buffers, however.

Either way, I had a quick stroll through OSVR-Core and as far as I can tell, the software is more about communicating with the other devices on the headset. Sensors, parameter query, handler registration and such. I can't verify it, but I'm pretty sure you can just plug in a display port cable and render as you usually do and it'll work just like a normal display.

As for why making a standard interface, it's because otherwise each headset vendor would implement their own special snowflake protocol for initialization, sensor feedback and so on. You'd have to use their driver for low-level communication, their library for actual interaction and tailor the IO part of your application specifically for each platform you wish to support. It'd be a mess. With an open standard, anyone can implement it and have applications just werk. Imagine if you'd need a specific driver for each different webcam, mic, headset or peripheral of any sort, all of which essentially do the same thing, yet feel compelled to ship their own, usually half-assed software solution.

Still, I wonder why I need a userspace process running to arbitrate communication. I'd rather just be provided a library to link against and I don't understand why it's necessary. Oh well, I hope there's a good reason for it.

I guess it's good that there's competition, but as of now VR is a kinect-tier tech.

Untermenschen BTFO