EMERALD TWILIGHT!

In THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN ( ), we got to see Cyborg Superman and Mongol casually blow up Coast City, Hal Jordan's home town. When Hal finds out about it, well you know what that means,

IT'S TIME FOR EMERALD TWILIGHT!

So sit back, relax, and watch a character with the personality of dry white toast lose his mind and kill the Green Lantern Corps.

Was it better before or after the Giant Space Bug retcon happened?

Hal has lost his hometown and everyone in it, but with the Green Lantern ring, he could bring them back. All of them. Even his long deceased Dad.

Emerald Twilight is a prelude to what Ron Marz is going to do with the premise of Green Lantern, namely bring it's focus back to the magic wishing ring from space.

Hal uses his ring to bring back his father, to talk with him once more, only to be reminded of his father's disappointment in him and his failure to protect Coast City. In his grief, he can't let go. Memories aren't enough, he needs everything to come back.

And with the limitless power of the Green Lantern ring, why not? Why not resurrect Coast City? Why stop there? Why not fix it too? Why not make everything how it should've been?

With the ring's power, he can go back to the world of his memories. Back to when things were simply, back before he screwed everything up. He could leave the real world full of death and suffering, and live in the world of what might've been.

A world where he can feel he isn't a disappointment and a failure.

Before.

Just as Hal's dad is about to say the word's he's always wanted to hear, Hal is cruelly ripped back to the real world by the Guardians. No, Hal won't let them rob him of that feeling of home and comfort. What he needs is more power. Power to not just recreate Coast City as a mere construct, but to fully resurrect it! The way it should've been! The way the universe should've been! And Hal knows exactly where to get that power.

As Kyle Rayner and his girlfriend look at the stars, a blazing shot of green crossing the sky, stay tuned for the next issue where Hal Jordan won't allow anyone to stand in his way!

ITT: millennial who hates Hal Jordan pretends that a shitty event makes for good character development.

I think it's decent so far.

What a fucking fag.

So like, what's so wrong with Hal using his ring to remake Coast City? Didn't Kilowag do the exact same trick before and was treated as the good guy?

Sad!

The difference was that Kilowag stored the actual lives of his people in his ring, so when he used his ring to recreate his planet, he was giving them corporal forms. With Hal, everyone in Coast City was dead and what he created was construct for himself.

The storytime I welcome, your bullshit commentary, not so much.

How is it bullshit? Is it because the comic isn't how you remember it?

GREEN LANTERN #49 - EMERALD TWILIGHT PART 2

Hal has given enough to the Corps! Now he's going to make them give back!

Man, not Tomar-Tu. All he wanted you to do was listen, Hal.

Then there's Jack T. Chance. Just one of those early 90's characters dreamed up when trench-coats and attitudes were big. I don't think he'll be missed.

As Hal kicks a line of asses all the way to Oa, a thought occurred to me: What is the Green Lantern Corps if not more interesting versions of Hal Jordan?

Just a thought I had. Back to the comic, Hal Jordan cutting off Boodikka's hand is tasteless.

Not even Kilowog can stand against Hal's iron resolve to remake the universe!

Now there's only one being between Hal and the power he craves. A being the Guardians had no choice but to turn to in this time of crisis.

Mother fucking SINESTRO.

Stay tune for the next issue when Emerald Twilight comes to a close.

I wouldn't mind a daily dose of that palette swapped Psylocke.

Y'know, both this and the death and rebirth of superman have problems, but the biggest problem is essentially the same one but opposite ends of the spectrum, LENGTH! Death and rebirth was to ovely long, with to many writers and artists confusing the story, while Emerald Twilight is way to short. Only three comics for Hal going nuts,wiping out the crop and destroying the guardiens?! It needed one or two more honestly.

I think Emerald Twilight's strength is how short it is. It doesn't have the opportunity to get bogged down in cross-overs and arcs, so the story is kept tight and to the point. It also helps that it's better written than Death of Superman.

Really, at the end of the first issue of Emerald Twilight, I know what Hal is doing and I know why he's doing what he's doing. Everything makes sense in the context of the story. That's more than I can say fthe entirety of Death of Superman.

Well true it's better overall easily. I still think Emerald twilight could have used another issue or two but I guess it's a minor point. I do agree that it is contained to one book helps the plot be more coherent by a lot.

Emerald Twilight probably seems abrupt and short because it was solicited as something else entirely: Hal and the Corps would've been at odds over aligning with two sets of Guardians. Editorial didn't think it shook things up enough, came up with another plot, and then gave it to Marz to write. Rest is history.

Reminds me more of Carol Danvers in her Warbird outfit.

It's likely because they wanted to use Hal as the villain for Zero Hour.

I mean, if you going to raze Green Lantern to the ground, you might as well get two things out of it instead of one.

Whoa friend, let's not get started with Zero Hour. Let's just say that Zero Hour tried to fix a train wreck by slamming another train into it.

At least we got a fun reference to it in the 2000's.

Zero Hour did have some good moments though.

What the fuck man, you gotta use the latin pronunciation

Thanks user.

Hold onto your seats, fags! In GREEN LANTERN #50, all this Green Lantern shit is about to go out like a phoenix!

And let me tell you, I enjoy how smug Sinestro is during all this.

Say what you want, but Emerald Twilight gives us what DEATH OF SUPERMAN lacked. The hero is up against his arch-nemesis in a battle to the death. The final confrontation.

And it's actually pretty good.

Though Sinestro is dead, it is evil that has triumphed. Hal Jordan killed Sinestro, but in a way, Sinestro has killed Hal Jordan. Hal is no longer the man he once was. He must become someone new.

This change in Hal is demonstrated by killing Kilowog for trying to stop him. Hal can no longer see the present. He only sees the future now.

He's crossed the line. There's no going back now.

ALL HAIL PARALLAX!

But this is not the end for the Green Lanterns. There is to be one last ring-bearer. That of KYLE RAYNER.

And that's the end of Emerald Twilight.

Also, they got a bunch of artists to fill the last pages with art commemorating Hal's time as a Green Lantern.

In the letters pages, they give an explanation why they did what they did

>But no. We wanted, needed a change. Let's face it: in all the years that Hal has been in existence, there has been little change, if any, to the character. Sure he gained grey temples with this second series, but that's as far as it went. Superficial. Cosmetic. Even Denny O'Neil, who told great stories with the character, admits it was hard to tell stories about the character. Hal was either too nice or a jerk, leaving no lasting impression. And that had to change.

I think it's a good explanation, but that's me. The rest of you take it as you will, and thanks for enjoying this storytime with me.

What a shitshow. I'm surprised they didn't go ahead with the Rape of Wonder Woman idea, considering what they did do with their major heroes during this period.

Tell me more user.

Go back to bed, Johns. They've got a sale on coco puffs tomorrow.

Supposedly during this period where DC were planning to destroy/depower/replace their big guns (however temporarily), somebody suggested "The Rape of Wonder Woman" as a follow-up to The Death of Superman and Knightfall. I don't know if it was ever a serious suggestion, but it wouldn't surprise me.

That was a fucking Mark Millar pitch that was meant as a joke.

If this is a shitshow to you, then you haven't read many comics friend.

Though I'm curious why this angers you so much. The very idea that someone would be attached to Hal Jordan, of all characters, boggles the mind. Are you one of those H.E.A.T. fags who mailed suspicious packages to DC?

I wonder if there's an Elseworlds where that bum got the last Green Lantern ring.

Probably

If I was an editor I would have made the wanker write it. I also would have made Dwayne McDuffie write that Teenage Negro Skateboarders pitch.

You know, I bet John Byrne would have done it in his run if he thought he could get away with it without getting strung up from a lamppost like Mussolini.

Im more surprised they haven't msde this into a animated film yet.

So are we doing Zero Hour now?

Okay, this wasn't bad at all!
The Green Lanters anyway had this coming for decades, because the fuckers let many world fucked up or destroyed. Hal is actually right and everyone arround him is fucking dumb. Plus if he succes it's mean everyone will live again, but if they stop him then everyone will be stay dead. What's so fucking hard to undrstand in this?

So again, what was bad in this comic again? It wasn't even that unbelievable edgy like the Death of Superman or the Knightfall. So what? We just hate on this because Hal and the Green Lanterns?

Emerald Twilight is a piece of crap, and Johns' later run was pretty mediocre on top of heavy use of retcons.

There were two good things to come out of Emerald Twilight, those being New Dawn, in which Kyle Rayner enjoys opening the fridge, and Legacy.

TOAST CITY

I story-timed it because I enjoy it, I think it's well written, and because, apparently, there are guys on Holla Forums who utterly despise Emerald Twilight for what it did to Hal.

That last point is confusing as fuck. Of all the fucking characters to get booty blasted over, why fucking Hal Jordan?

I think the main point of contention isn't the story itself but what it represents in retrospect to some people, especially people who might have been actually reading it back then: a very risky attempt to reboot GL's comic by using contrived writing to steamroll everything and pave the way for a new status quo with a new Green Lantern. That Kyle Rayner got decent writing early on and Hal later sacrificing himself in Final Night and becoming the fucking Spectre might as well have been flukes. Ones negated by Johns using equally contrived writing to bring Hal back to the forefront and blame his bullshit on a fucking space bug.

You have no idea how much I want this image to be canon.

I can see that it's contrived (though a well done contrivance), but I think Eddie "THE HR NIGHTMARE" Berganza ( ) has a very good point for why they did it. Hal was so bland and uninteresting that keeping him on was bringing down the book, so a change was necessary. And DC decided that change needed to be drastic.

Which is where we can put a divide between EMERALD TWILIGHT and other events like DEATH OF SUPERMAN or KNIGHTFALL. The latter events were done as sales gimmicks, while EMERALD TWILIGHT was a necessary evil to keep the book from stagnating.

The worse part is that even though Johns fought hard to bring Hal back, it turned out that Hal couldn't carry his own comic. Johns had to turn Green Lantern into a non-stop event comic just to keep Hal as the lead and the book selling. Then when that came to an end when Johns left the book, the whole series of Green Lantern titles immediately tanked.

It's amusing that you shit all over the Death of Superman storyline while praising this one and finding it funny that it bothers people.

It's pretty funny that this is the first time I've read anything that actually gives Hal any personality, which kind of exemplifies what the editorials were saying. Simon with his psychological need for a 1911 at his side of Diaz with her "Being a paranoid hikkikomori is a source of great willpower" have been way more interesting than any of the older Hal comics I've read.

No it doesn't. Everything he was doing was a shitty recreation of what he thought shit should be like. Rings and their energy are based off imagination. There's nothing to assume that what he created was actually real.

I agree, Muslim Green Lantern with guns is a much better character than Hal Jordan ever was.

Of course I shit on Death of Superman. It's a poorly written book that goes on far too long. All the characters in the event are idiots because the writers couldn't find a convincing way for the plot to happen. In Emerald Twilight, the effort is made to convince me that Hal Jordan would do anything, including kill the entire corps, to bring Coast City back.

I've explained my position on this several times in both threads. You have yet to explain why Emerald Twilight is a bad book other than "muh Hal".

The writers of GL copped to Hal's blandness in 1968 when they introduced Guy Gardner.

Hal's like that weird uncle that keeps showing up. He's clumsy, dim witted, dull, and prone to bizarre mistakes, like slaughtering his comrades and fucking a child. It would be fun they just ran with it, but no, they got to keep pushing that he's a bad ass.

user, it's not healthy to talk to yourself.