ITT: cartoons that could need a "dark and edgy" reboot

ITT: cartoons that could need a "dark and edgy" reboot

so absolutely none of them?

Because fuck this franchise, and it's fans.

GI Joe would be a good one to actually get darker and grittier as well. I definitely agree with OP, an actual tense show about resucing people from disasters could be cool.

The mythologies deserve accuracy.

I kept waiting for the "special" episode where the rescues heroes fail to save someone, nope, never came.

Not very educational, really.

mythologies and their fucked up morality

It would be amusing.

Women fucking swans.
Eagle raping small boys.
Tree rape.

lul.

A little off topic. He'll never get a reboot because he got a show….

Sad.

It doesn't even need to be edgy they just need to call him ==HERACLES==

Has anyone ever rebooted a cartoon as darker and edgier, in a way that worked?

Yeeeeah, the bold red only comes in paragraphs.

Transformers

Transformers Prime sucked

Yes, actually.

Basically every one after the first has been darker and edgier, and most of them are better.

Does it count when the first cartoon was a lighter and softer reboot of a dark and gritty comic?

>>>/pone/

considering most people knew the turtles for the cartoon, I should say yes

I think the original series would benefit from the darker and edgier treatment. The darker episodes were definitely the more memorable ones. Not all dark and edgy all the time, just moderately darker and edgier.

If they reboot Teen Titans I would like them to actually explore the civilian lives of the characters more. Them walking around in their costumes 24/7 was one of my largest issues with that show.

Golly who invited reddit here?

Civilian lives? Maybe Robin, sure, but the rest of them are grey, purple, green and mostly metal. That's not a mask you can just take off.
The show portrayed their downtime rather plausibly. They'd sometimes go out and play sports, but only against each other. Mostly they'd stay home, only once did they ever go to a party, and if they hung out with anyone else it'd always be fellow capes. I think that's realistically how it would work.

The comics from the era the show was based on gave them private lives for the most part. Kory's modelling, Garth being a celebrity, subplots for everyone. Marv Wolfman doesn't get enough credit for just having solid old-school plot skills. He never completely forgot a character for issues on end, like Rob Liefeld and Boom-Boom, or John Byrne and Tigra.

GI Joe XTREEEEEME was kinda like this.

Thinking they don't have a civilian life only shows a lack of imagination. Being a superhero is strictly non-profit, and fuckers will walk around town and go to the mall at some point. While I enjoy that TT showed an emphasis that they were friends during their down time, showing civilian lives fleshes out characters a lot.

Superheroics should be a full-time job, because disaster might occur at any time, and because a lot of downtime should be spent on training in order to maximise chances of survival, for themselves and the civilians in danger. Gigs on the side are worse than frivolous. I don't like it.
Wouldn't all superheroes be celebrities, to some extent or other depending on success?

They did, in the cartoon. Cops and army personnel walk around town and buy groceries, too, but that doesn't make them civilians.
Maybe generally. But how the hell would the cartoon Teen Titans fund their everything? I always assumed some level of government funding for their crimefighting, or the Justice League paying for all their necessities (starship, T-tower, Cyborg spareparts, weapons, training course, etc).

I should ask for clarification, what exactly is it you guys mean when talking about "civilian lives"?

The universal excuse is "Bruce Wayne did it"
Lives outside of being superheroes. Beast Boy having a romantic night with Raven while in costume in the tower is not "civilian life." Shit like Cyborg going to his old high school/youth center to help teach the kids football, Raven going to a Wiccan meeting and silently kekking inside, or Beast Boy going to a animal rights protest. "Civilian Lives" generally means they need to be interacting with people that aren't fucking superheroes.

Profligate

I bet you don't even want to be pals with Jimmy Olson.

This, I'd like to see some heroes do real good.
Not constantly fight super-villains that half the time they created themselves.

thats a pretty bad case of sameface

How many almonds would that activate in the current year?

None, you retard. You really aren't up to date with modern culture.

Looking at the leaked material, a "dark and edgy" reboot would be better than whatever comes with G5.

Faggot, you could at least said you had a little sister… like me. Is really weird, is still a toy show so the actual writing is all over the place but for what I've seen they actually go very tryhard edgy at the season finales/premieres.

Latin would be fine if his parents were Jupiter and Juno and he went to Rome or any city that wasn't Greek and his nemesis was Pluto.

So Holla Forums is cool with bronies? Nice.

ReBoot. Anything would be better than that live action/CGI hybrid they are going to go with.
Heck even that ReBoot 2.0 pitch that was made for that Zeroes2Heroes comic pitch website would have made for a good dark and edgy ReBoot story arc.

Starcom: The U.S. Space Force, while the original series is pretty decent and upbeat, it never got into any details behind the bad guy force that opposed them or why they came to be. Or if there is any consequences of forming colonies in other parts of the Solar System.

What the hell was going on in ancient Roman/Greece times to inspire this?

They look sameface, but there's are lot of little differences between them. Though some of the males share the same mouth design which doesn't help.

Pic
He did stuff like that in the episode where he upgraded with some super-chip. It was no more than 2 or three seconds to describe what he spent his time on. And any more of that or your other examples I can't say I'm particularly interested in.
I mean, in Young Justice they did that "superheroines in civies shopping and drinking lattes when suddenly Captain Cold appears to rob the mall, our heroes attack and we cut to next scene". The whole thing had no impact, it did nothing but take up screen-time. And animal rights and hanging out with wiccans doesn't exactly sound like entertaining material (although Buffy the Vampire slayer did the witch-meets-Wiccans thing pretty well, but it was very brief).
If it was used to set up conflicts to resolve, that would be an entirely different thing. Such as Raven teaching those Wiccans proper rituals, and it going horribly wrong and there's a lesson learnt about being responsible with the eldritch knowledge you may posses. There's also potential in realistic depiction of how superhero celebrities would be treated and how it meshed with the Titans individual personalities and social quirks and habits (Beast Boy being a dope, Robin mostly concerned with public image, Raven being bad at small-talk, etc).

Kill yourself
>>>/pone/

Go back to whatever hellhole you came from nigger.

If it was based on Chuck Dixon's work when he did the IDW Cobra comics then sure.

Wasn't he dark and gritty to begin with?

I always wondered how schooling would work for them. I know Dick probably went to a private school but not sure about the others.

The "civilian" bit of superheroes has long been my favorite part of cape shit. It's about exploring how people who are capable of doing the kind of shit they do and put up with the shit they get involved in interact with the real world. The issue is that most cape comics do this really shitily. Dealing with normal everyday shit is supposed to be a sort of character study. It shows you what the person is like at a core level, not just when they're actively saving people behind a mask. Young Justice didn't do this well because it was literally "They go shopping, are completely normal, and then villains attack leading into the plot of the episode. A lot of capeshit does exactly that, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

That's the point. It was cut short before it's time.
One imagines Beast Boy was homeschooled with the Doom Patrol. Cyborg already went to highschool, seems to have dropped out after the accident. Raven was educated by Azerathian monks, and Starfire by her own people.
The only other schooling they'd possibly need as capes Robin can provide, having got his cape education from Batman and superpowered caping being a new field for everyone with no semblance of established curriculum.
Besides, public education is mostly a scam and means to sort the wheat from the chaff. Basic reading and math is all that needed for job-training to take care of all other necessities.

I think I get what you're saying. Can you provide good examples?.
As far as the Titans are concerned, I think the show did that, in that it showed that they mostly kept to themselves and other capes, which seems like the realistic outcome to me. What do you think?
Only Robin wore a mask. 4/5 Titans can't pretend to be civilians, so they don't try and they don't make up cape personas. That lack of duality - secret civilian identity and cape persona - sets them apart from the standard superhero formula, and I think that's worth exploring as well.

The best example in recent memory was in the Superman roadtrip storyline, where they meet a family who celebrates the birthday of a family member who died in the civil war. They celebrate it every year until his body is found. Despite it not being important what so ever, and him being "Clark Kent" at the time, Supes decides to look for the body with x-ray vision, get it tested at the watch tower, and send it to the family as a gift with a note. I didn't think the storyline was very good, but that moment really stuck out to me.
There's definitely characters that will naturally stick with other capes. Batman is a pretty perfect example for that: He doesn't have a life outside of people wearing costumes, with the exception of deciding where money needs to go from Wayne Corp. But it's also boring to see an entire team interacting only with each other. A normie being thrown into the mix is interesting, even if it's simple as a quick discussion of Wonder Woman talking about some cute guy she saved from a mugger who gave his number to her. I really REALLY like having a normal person being thrown into superhero shennigans, just as a reminder that they shit that's happening is rightfully terrifying. By the same token, I fucking HATE it when that normal person ends up being a supervillain in disguise/gains superpowers/is the avatar for a great evil
As it should be, but everyone will still have their own unique perspective of dealing with popularity that informs their character. The desire to see "civilian life" isn't specifically from seeing them with their mask off, but rather seeing them out of hero mode. They're all going to act differently when the world isn't at stake, and that's what I want to see. Scene of that nature are the reason I actually really like JL:War

Oldfags don't care. Summerfags and refugees tend to flip out over pony stuff because they're trying to fit in too hard. And we got one autistic troll who hates everything and will screech over anything he thinks he recognises from anywhere else outside of this one board.

Looks like we got one genuine bona-fide autist here.

Strawman strawman strawman ad hominem strawman. You'll never fit in, because every time you post, you just out yourself as retarded. It's like how Chelsea Cain can't write heroes because she's a fucking sociopath, and nosering landwhale writes America as a narcissistic, self-centered asshole because she's a borderline personality.

Ben10
-less henshin and magic crap
-captured omnitrix aliens as side story
-perhaps in the style of Adelaide Productions (extreme Ghostbusters, Jackie Chan adventures)

Do they still make stuff?

I'ma be honest, I read fanfic, and grimdark meets noblebright is one of my favorite subgenres, when it's done right. It does have a tendency to fall on its face pretty frequently (yet somehow still get ridiculously popular anyway, see also FO:E and FiO. If you don't know what those stand for, don't ask) but every once in a while it just clicks. I would kind of like to see a dark and gritty reboot of FiM, but have it look almost exactly the same on the surface. The dark bits start to creep up on the main cast as they investigate the world outside their happy little Utopia… And the means used to maintain it.

Kid, you know we aren't on reddit right?

"Kid"? How old are you?
You do know that terminology for logical fallacies predates Reddit?
And that none of this shit you obsess over matters to anyone else on this site?
You're a turd in the punchbowl, I honestly can't imagine what a meaningless life you must lead that you have to come here and wave your dick to feel like you have achieved significance. Your idiocy lasts about as long as it takes to reach the last page and when you die, people will be relieved.

You need to watch Gi Joe Resolute

Listen kid, put down the funny books and read some graphic novels.

I think I discarded that fanfic pretty quick. I hate those stories where the MC befriends their tormentors.

Now that's not even an ad hominem, that's more of a non-sequitur. And you really need to source some new reaction images.

On that note, a reboot for Generator Rex as well.

Exo Squad is prime material for an edgy reboot
another candidate would be Phantom 2040 as it had pretty dark tones already but what held the writing back was the fact that it was a kids show

Kλαύσει μακρά, Οὖτις

That's pretty weird.

>>>/zoo/

that was terrible and pretentious

It was less weird in context

Key's broken user.

No no, you have it backwards. I'm talking secret tyrant Celestia here, who suppresses history and knowledge to keep herself in power and her subjects under her control. The main cast starts as loyal subjects but start to discover the truth as time goes on.

does this trigger you?

reported

I liked Cobra Commander's voice though I found it funny that basically his whole speech was "I was pretending to be retarded the whole time." As a way to excuse his goofy behavior from before and to justify himself as ruthless. That and I wasn't particularly fond of Storm Shadow being the one responsible for the Hard Master's death. It makes him more petty.

is that a yes?

storm shadow is always a shit in adaptations

user, your shiftkey appears to be malfunctioning.

Okay, this meme is starting to get old. I don't like it.

user, you appear to be malfunctioning.

Zeus didn't fuck Ganymede and sure as shit didn't fuck him as an eagle. He stole him away.

Olimpos flashback!
The pretty pretty boys being horrible to each other…

Ulysses 31
I never actually saw it. I just like the concept

So would Van Kleiss be like Dr. Doom?

What the hell got deleted?

Anyway, this would be my vote. Although I'd say less "dark and gritty" and more "take the concept seriously"

Also make Dede not cartoonishly stupid, because that shit doesn't fly outside of comedic shows.

So you have the concept of the boy genius who has a secret laboratory under his house, and the only one who knows about it is his older, not-genus sister. What can you do with that?

I tend to think in terms of characters instead of plots, so that's what I'm going to do here. I think the main conflict between our two main characters should shift, since the simplistic "Dex makes things and Dede ruins them" concept wouldn't work in a more serious setting. Instead, their main conflict is a more intellectual and moral one. Dede wants Dexter to share his inventions with the world, both for selfish reasons (IE because they're cool and playing with them is fun) and because they're miraculous technologies that could help mankind immensely. Dexter is not on board with this. He does not massive worldwide upheavals, the results of which he cannot predict, caused by his inventions. He is also more than a little bit scared and resentful, mostly due to his age. It's unlikely anyone would take a 10 year old seriously, but if they did, it might cause even worse problems. He'd go from being a smart boy who can have the mostly-carefree life of a child into being the kid everyone wants to control and manipulate, and be expected to produce miracles for them instead of himself. These could be points of character development.

I don't know, I think it could be interesting.

Didn't Bleedman already try this?

"hey Holla Forums"

I don't know, but I do recognise the name. Wasn't that the "Mandy did 9/11" guy?

I don't see where anyone can go with this as a series, would prefer if it was its own series and not another reboot though.

Yup that's him.

MFW…are you millennials that fucking stupid? There this little franchise called fucking Thunderbirds that does this, maybe you've heard of it. Oh no wait, if we older anons don't spoonfeed shit to ya (or you can't post it from your fucking smartphone) you don't fucking get it. Please don't tell me your that type of Soy Plebbity faggot that posts around here.

That looks absolutely horrific

Where did this soy meme come from?

Attached: 1489647798210.png (991x1426, 1.69M)

Because everything that was made back then is fucking terrible. Only the absolute best top-notch shit from back then is worth watching still, and Thunderbirds isn't it.

IT COMES FROM YOU

The 60's, you plebeians, Thunderbirds was made in the 60's.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 7.09K)

I don't care, puppets are scary shit

I'd still fug Lady Penelope.

that's ok, I know the feeling

Attached: DC_Kira_3816.jpg (764x551, 152.55K)

Well there actually is a reboot of Thunderbirds but instead of puppets its all CG.

I used to watch this with my little sister at least until season 4's finale/Season 5's premiere, isn't this already trying to be as dark and edgy as it can while still being TV-Y?

Attached: confused_female.jpg (401x516, 47.58K)

Pretty sure the fans would love a dark an edgy reboot.

What stopped Raven from blending in (aside from not wanting to)?

Yeah. Watch Captain Scarlet and UFO instead. Way better.

The sky gets red all the time, especially at cities at night because city lights or some shit.

The hair could be explained away as a dye-job, the gem in her forehead as some hindu-thing, but the grey skin is going to be a challenge. Unless you want to interpret it as pale, though it's a rather dark grey to be visual shorthand for paleness. There's also the occasional slip of her powers to complicate attempts at passing as human.

Terrahawks gets no love.

Attached: shado-ufo-girls-moonbase-20.jpg (720x541, 84.36K)

W.i.t.c.h. maybe, I read they wanted to make something more mature/dark but Disney changed plan

mutha fuken mighty max

Attached: S8f8YH5.jpg (480x360, 16.29K)

You do realize a lot of them liked hotdiggedydemon's MLP stuff right? That and there was some shitty slashfic made like 7 years ago that they freaked out about for the first couple years or so. Some autistic brony I sort of knew in class convinced me to read it. I was more disturbed by the awful writing than anything else. It was the first and only fanfic I've ever read.

If the reboot doesn't have the patriotism toned down in favor of current year political agendas it could work.

I'd really love to see a GI Joe: Shattered Glass where GI JOE are agents of the despotic government and Cobra is a group of brave freedom fighters.

Agreed but you should really lurk more before posting new friend.

ReBoot already had that going very well for it mid-series. All the post-Megaframe episodes with Daemon and the Other-Bob were a jarring break from what had been established as a dark and gritty show.

That was fun, is like watching a John Ks sperg on MLP but without the sense of self importance and huge ego.
Then again, hotdiggedydemon's did the animation only, IIRC that was the spin-off of a webcomic with DEEPLORE and shit but the same style of comedy, haven't seen it but I expect something on the style of Dave The Barbarian but with ponies.
Which begs the question, if you already have the talent for that kind of style of comedy and drawing… Why to make it about fucking MLP?!

God they look hot. I remember the alien girls from the Gamera movies looking hot in their space outfits.

Autism user. You'd be surprised at how many talented people dedicate their abilities to MLP. I've seen well animated fan videos just for MLP. It appears that is what they are passionate about.

That sounds awesome. I've only ever heard of Shattered Glass in regards to Transformers.

Regarding the patriotism I'm curious how to handle it. I don't want current year crap but I don't want it to go into neo-con territory where you have to die for some useless war.

Because JewTube was willing to monetize every fucking thing until this dame (who's never ever used the service herself nor posted a vid up on there) shut off the easy monitization for JewTube shekels and clicks. Seriously you're not that naive asking that question right?

Attached: 3034382-poster-p-1-youtubes-ceo-is-about-to-take-the-highest-profile-maternity-leave-since-marissa.jpg (1280x720, 118.32K)

OH YES

i want to travel back in time to hollywood in the 60's and have sex with everything i see.

The whole "I was pretending to be retarded the whole time." actually was a brilliant play! It's like Jar Jar Binks turning out to be Darth Plagueis.

We all do.

It was already dark and edgy wasn't it?

I think Street Sharks would be a better choice.

Attached: street sharks.jpg (600x418 563.59 KB, 374.31K)

so much for a better Cobra Commander

Thanks user that's beautiful.

The more I think about that movie the more I realize how stupid it is. At least it had good animation.

webm please.

It was made to be a series of shorts on the web and it shows. It does not flow as a movie at all. I feel second hand embarrassment watching it and thinking that's how desperate GI Joe fans are that they consider that to be the best adaptation so far.

I wonder if they just did like an anthology of shorts for GI Joe fighting Cobra if that could work.

Because hentai.

Attached: Snorktai.jpg (670x753, 67.48K)

Poor Dickie Spencer.

I'm surprised people remember that one.

So would it be like 2003 TMNT?

Attached: I_want_to_fuck_that.webm (800x600, 5.26M)