Quake 1 thread

Doom (and the later Quake games) get all the love, but the first Quake always gets overlooked despite it being a great game.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cpjZmazY
pastebin.com/28GevZZD
mega.nz/#!2lsB1CoY!RohWv77_8TIiZt4KvFryZVl375nIUAU7JPkQD4Vcz74
mega.nz/#!OpsATBoY!pAtwDVvfNc6bIulKNrW2NKFTflha2XsE5GOMKMfoQEk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why doesn't Quake have the same kind of modding community that Doom has?

I FUCKING HATE FIENDS, HOLY SHIT

Cause it existed in 1996-1998 then died out.

Fun fact: The Capture The Flag game mode you see in so many shooters these days came from a Quake 1 mod. That programmer of the mod ended up working on Metroid Prime.

It had one for a while. That's where Team Fortress came from.

My version of Quake 1 is missing a key.

So I gave up my modding career right there.

Quake 1's modding community was HUGE, bigger than Doom's. You guys missed out on some fantastic shit.

Any of you fags make maps?

Who made the best levels?

American McGee?
Sandy Petersen? (wew no)
John Romero?
Tim Willits?

Quake 1 had some fun source mods later, too. Like high FOV and 360 degree FOV mods.

Pretty much this, all the great modders of the quake era actually got hired by game companies, isnt like half the properties Valve own just old old quake modders?

why don't we have a so you want to play some fucking quake info-graph.

there's been about like 3 of them if i recall

git gud faget.

can you post them.

Holla Forums would have liked the "border1" Team Fortress map. There are three teams: the Mexicans who can use only axes and must cross the border to score, the border patrol who must stop them, and the Men in Black who try to kill the border patrol and get the Mexicans into America. The two main ways to cross the border are to jump the wall at the corners or load into the truck that drives across the border, although there were some other tricks for skilled teams. It was actually a lot of fun despite it sounding like a throwaway gimmick map and was popular in its day.

i wonder if Holla Forums can get a server up so we can play it.

Definitely should. It'd need to have a dedicated thread and some build-up/prep as it really needs a full server to play well. It had some mode prior to having "enough" players but I've forgotten what it was.

Quake 1 is the best game ID ever made, in my opinion. It really feels like the pinnacle of what they had been trying to accomplish up until that point.

I'm guessing it's a lot harder to make levels for Quake than it is for Doom, given how much more emphasis it has on moving in a fully 3D space.

Definitely was. Quake 2 was only good heavily modded and Q3A destroyed the game changing it from a quirky aerial deathmatch to an e-sport grounded dueler. I wish the rocket arena people had gone their own way.

maybe when mark finally gets off his ass and start a Holla Forums play thread again we can get him to make it modded quake, but i wonder the technical literature rate of Holla Forums because when ever one of those threads are made theres always an user having trouble connecting or playing game.

Here's a server for the thread, at least
15 minute rotation, no frag limit

Btw, one caution about border1 if you guys do, it has irregular flow but this is a good thing and not a negative. Like, there will come points where it feels like the game has reached a stalemate kinda like old Alterac Valley but this is the point where you're expected to coordinate with your team and the MiB and make some crazy pushes to try to break the stalemate. It's fun but I'm afraid players today aren't used to coordinating and team play and might get discouraged. Needs at least one player on the server that understands and can rally the others. I'm really concerned that people have forgotten so much about team play that they won't understand how to have fun.

i'll check it out in a bit. my Internet has been acting up lately, do you own this server or is it just one you frequent.

don't worry user the magic of a group autist playing a team based game is an amazing sight to see.

Can someone hook me up with a copy of Quake? Torrent or otherwise, I just want to play the game. Yes, I'm a lazy fucker asking to be spoonfed.

It's my own, my internet's not great as far as I hear

just look up a download/torrent for the GOG version, you got the game, expacs, and an iso with the soundtrack

Use this pasta
pastebin.com/cpjZmazY

I found a livestream of romero talking about his new game blackroom how much quake influence you think it will have.

also is adrian autistic

this guy is a faggot fam

for all we know like all the id staff was probably some form of spectrum

Anyone else having problems with these files? When I try to use Quakespasm it tells me it can't load gfx.wad even though the Quake data files are in the same directory

Well, it's something.

Where do you think goldsrc, capture the flag and team fortress came from you newfig?

The modding scene advanced from one game to the next.

This.
A lot went over to modding HL eventually because of the better scripting.
I still remember some pretty cool Quake mods though, like the Perfect Dark weapons, portal guns (you thought Valve invented those didn't you) and zero-G maps.

they moved onto engines that stayed proprietary, and the mods became stand alone games at some point. now you need Steam to play, TF2 has hat cancer and imbalance, and theres nothing you can do about it. the Doom community on the other hand improved the engine through various forks over time and improved the mapping/modding tools.

if you want something other than Quake for aerial/vertical gameplay, try Xonotic. has similar physics because its on the Darkplaces engine.

has anyone tried chasm.

Does anyone else play Quake 1 ctf with bots or it's just my autistic self?

Yeah, I tried out the demo when it was NIB. It's pretty fun from what I remember, but mapping wise it's closer to Doom than Quake.

Q1 and UT99 with bots is pretty comfy.

Also, anyone here AirQuake?

don't worry user you're among you're autistic people here,

are there gibs ?

Shit, I don't remember, last time I played it, Bill Clinton was president. There may have been though, maybe Q1 tier chunkies though if so.

looks fun might check it out

shit i'm such a fuck up, replied to early.

lets try this again.

no gibs no play.

looks fun might check it out, are there any good custom maps for it.

They gotta be in /quakespasm/id1/, not in the base directory
Now if I could figure out why QS keeps freezing my entire computer at random intervals, that'd be great

Looks like gibs are possible with explosive weapons at least in Chasm.

You could have also tried the demo, too…

As far as AirQuake…there might have been at one time, I do know that it was a big deal back in the day. But, that was nearly 20 years ago, so I don't know if any custom maps are available now.

Quake 1/2 and UT99 do have one area that they fall a bit short in, in comparison to Doom; the Doom guys have been quite good about documenting and saving mods and maps over the years. But the 3D stuff, there's things that I know where out there that aren't anymore.

Bethesda's next project is the new Quake.

How does that make you feel?

Welp. It was good while it lasted.

Is this some new form of shilling?

we just wanna play video games.

I'm sorry user I guess I'm just pissed at E3, but you gotta admit it's kinda suspicious

its alright i would be suspicious to with all the shilling thats been going on lately, here have some cute lains

I don't think anyone here is likely to play nuQuake, if it's any consolation.

I haven't really played Quake outside of a little of Quake 64. Currently playing through the Doom series so I'll probably give Quake a look again soon.

Damn, now I want to reinstall that. Airquake was fun to muck around in even in singleplayer.

Except it does

By the way, are there any big compiled downloads for all of these really important but likely now forgotten mods for Quake?

git gud holy shit

Here's an image and a pastebin: pastebin.com/28GevZZD
If you play without the soundtrack you're a faggot.

IGG has a copy of Quake: The Offering, which has the soundtrack and the expansions.
Part 1: mega.nz/#!2lsB1CoY!RohWv77_8TIiZt4KvFryZVl375nIUAU7JPkQD4Vcz74
Part 2: mega.nz/#!OpsATBoY!pAtwDVvfNc6bIulKNrW2NKFTflha2XsE5GOMKMfoQEk
Password is "igg-games.com"

Have this you fag.

mad as a shaken hive of bees on a hot day

quake threads aren't daily, but not rare

thanks mang. i actually don't have this one.

Anyone here hyped for the new Quake? I cant wait myself

i'm so hyped man i'm gonna pre-order it with skyrim remastered for my XBOXONE(tm) XDDDD.

It had a big modding community for awhile until Half-Life came along and stole it.

Why is elder world so shit?

Delete that image right fucking now

WUH
*squelching to infinity*

Seriously, worse than fucking Lost Souls

why would you post that.

There's a palette swap of 'em in the second expansion too! At least they're good for speedrunning.

bump

we're back

how was your break from Holla Forums did any of you fags in this thread who actually never played quake play it, what are your thoughts.

This guy looks too eerily like my childhood friend.

maybe it is user, maybe he got older and got addicted to peanut butter and chocolate flavored snacks(tm) and accessories(tm).

Quake 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. Holla Forums loves to spooge itself over 2, but 2 is fucking shit compared to the first.
Unfortunately, Quake's only propped up by a small community of autists, it's nothing compared to Doom's community. Real shame too, Quake shits all over the competition, yet ends up the least loved of the classic FPS games. It's a real tragedy.

FUCK THESE BASTARDS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I miss him. He won't talk to me anymore 'cause I moved away. Like, I try to ask my dad how he is, but he doesn't really know. He even closed his Facebook.

I fucking hate you nostalgiafags.

I tried playing Quake 1 and it was nothing special. The game didn't even have mouse control. It aged fucking horribly. The game wasn't even as scary as you faggots claim. The only thing it could do properly is being absurdly hard on a certain difficulty.

Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena is alot better in terms of fun and blows Quake 1 out of the fucking water.

It did, though.
Nobody claims it's scary.

Yes it did, I didn't even know it was possible to play it without a mouse.

This is where you crossed from subtle to obvious b8. If it weren't for that, I would've thought you were the typical Quake 2 dicksucking faggot.
Have a (You).

I remember someone did that for Half-Life back when /scurv/ came about, but I don't think such a thing exists for Quake.

It would be awesome to see that

What is wrong with darkplaces?

I don't really know much about quake sourceports but that was what I used for my first playthrough.

what source port were you using?

Was the shambler covered with hair or not?

That depends. Are you?

That's really good!

Oh god i had that when i was 12.
Having those flashbacks man.

Does GOG's copy of Quake 1 and Quake 2 come with the soundtrack? In ISO form if possible.

From what I know CTF was born with Rise of the Triad

Where can I download Quake with dosbox pack?

Quake 1 - no
Quake 2 - dunno

Well that sucks. Guess I'm finding it elsewhere.

ROTT had it, but it didn't set the genre on fire like Quake CTF did.

John Romero confirmed that they have "a shaggy coat"

I'm just trying Armagon out in Quakespasm but the music sounds mangled. Video related, in-game then through mpv. Might try the other recommended port.

This can also happen on Linux, rename the pak files to lower-case.

Quake 1 does
It comes with an ISO of the original disk and you can use Mediaplayer to rip the music from it.

What about Quake II? Actually is there an equivalent pastebin for that game? If not I can dig my old disc out.

According to the forums Quake 2 has the music

Oh, hey, with that weird soundtrack that expansion had, you guys know about the Quake music replacement mod made by the guy who went on to do the soundtrack for Quake 2? Embed related.