Just in case a show about Krypton before it blew up wasn't enough...

archive.is/jiw6Y

Just in case a show about Krypton before it blew up wasn't enough, DC is doubling down on a show about Metropolis…before Superman shows up.

If this goes the same way as Gotham, it's very likely that it's just going to end up as a shitty Elseworlds where Superman doesn't exist and Lois Lane and Lex Luthor save the day instead. Because that's totally what people want, right?

Krypton I get. You can do whatever fucking sci-fi show you want, and do whatever, but you get the bonus of tacking "Superman related" on it making it a safer bet. But Metropolis is going to be the exact same as Gotham, they can't do anything interesting with it being in the DC universe because Superman isn't around to save them. And if Superman doesn't need to be around to save them, why do we give a shit about Superman being there? I'd be perfectely fine with a show about Lois Lane specifically while Superman is around, showing that her investigative reporting actually helps Superman be in the right place at the right time or something, but doing a prequel is just wore for everything.

That's what the press release says the show will be
So they've had Batman without Batman and now they figure they're going to do Superman without Superman. I predict that it will be total shit that will nonetheless continue for several seasons due to company politics.

Why don't they just make a Batman or Superman show?

It's because they want people to watch the shitty movies, isn't it?

At some point, isn't it just easier to go ahead and create something original?

Or use a different IP. DC has probably the most diverse line-up of IPs in the industry, yet they keep leaning on their handful of mainstream capes.

Swamp Thing, The Specter, Doom Patrol, Sandman, Starman, Dial H For Hero, etc. Where the fuck are those shows?

Just kill them all.

It's a sign of the shifting priorities of the Big Two.

Back in the day, the talent was the driving force of the company. Now it's just about whoring the IPs.

too many happy white people

The real news is that this is apparently for DC's upcoming digital service.

To be fair, it's always been about the IPs. DC's just been a lot more blatant and shameless about it since the 2011 Time Warner shakeup that turned it into DC Entertainment and gave us a sloppy reboot attempt and Before Watchmen.

All I can is Rorschach trying very hard not to C O M P R O M I S E

So this is going to be Smallville with no Clark?

Why the fuck can WB not make an actual fucking superhero show outside of the Arrowverse? What is even the point?

Everybody thinks they can do better than the source material and end up just removing/changing things for its own sake.
Producers and executives think they're filmmakers and insist on creative input, even though they're underqualified, and directors and scriptwriters with no familiarity or empathy with the IP decide they know better than the authors.
Middle management everywhere, and this is not unique to the visual arts by any means, like to make a lot of random decisions really fast when they panic, to make it look like they actually do something besides pass on messages from above and soak up a hefty paycheque.
Assholes should realise that if a property is being adapted then surely there is something of value in its original form, something worth preserving, something that can be brought over across mediums.
Compare Albert Pyun's Captain America, where the director had never heard of the character, and read exactly one page of one comic as research before deciding he knew everything he needed to know, with the first X-Men film, where the director went undercover on X-Men fan forums and found out what everybody loved about each character.

They want people to watch their shitty movies and think live-action TV shows based on Batman or Superman would hurt that.

And went and made it in name only anyway

They'll try the Game of Thrones approach.

Killing off Clark 10 episodes in?

They'll send the rocket off into the sun.

Is this going to try and fit in continuity with Supergirl?

Fewer special effects to worry about. Cheaper.

Normalfags don't know of care about those.

It's called taking a risk, faggot. You do it to branch out into new audiences.

With the fucking glut of supernatural detective shows out there, it's inconceivable that people wouldn't watch a Spectre show.

I'm sure Raw Shark is absolutely miserable in that picture.

Oh, he'd probably get along with Question, Guy, Spectre and Hawkman.
Is he checking out Judomaster's butt?