Geoff Keighley

So what's the verdict on him?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/741743186477907968
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Better pope than that Cuck in Rome

The plane overhead symbolizes his soul as it leaves his body.

A man we joked and killed off until we realized he was right all the time
Now he just dews it for money instead of trying to make a positive change because he grew tired of his old hobby taking the piss out of him

Bane?

Holy shit he actually said that
twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/741743186477907968

We love to joke about the dewritos stuff, which is warranted, but he mostly takes the dewritos pope gag in stride now. He is a sellout, but he's just a victim of the industry. He did genuinely love games and I think he's still trying to create stuff he thinks people will enjoy. TGA fucking sucks.

Gay for Kojima.

Well played mr.pope, well played.

It's actually kind of depressing when you realize Geoff was being more ethical that most vidya journos.
All of them advertise, but he hates advertising other games due to conflicts of interest. So instead he advertises things completely unrelated to video games as not to interfere with his opinions, and he gets mocked to Hell and back for it.

He's a sellout for pandering to outside, morally good brands (as in McDonalds for example, nothing to do with games) instead of pandering conflicting brands (video games companies, hardware companies)
He's a victim of the retarded, ignorant part of the video game fanbase, which is sadly the majority

Now he's jaded as fuck and doesn't do in-deep articles like before because "lyl heil da pope xD" (i've seen old articles being spammed with that kind of stuff)
Basically what this lad said

It's hard to do serious stuff in a hobby that gathers mostly teens and inmature young adults, especially for the guy with the only serious, legit journalism title/studies

A shill with a meme.

We didn.t despise him for advertising dewritos. We did it because he was advertising games such as halo as 10/10
The dewrito meme represents his willingness to sellout

Just a victim of consumer culture getting worse by the year. I still like him but its all kind of soulless at this point anyway so that doesn't mean much.

But the reason he got mocked in the first place was because he was doing a review for a game which was being sponsored by Doritos and Mountain Dew, while having a load of Doritos and Mountain Dew with him. He was being mocked precisely because he failed to avoid showing a conflict of interest.

He is basically a good person in the same way that Walter White from Breaking Bad was a good person.

Shilling still works. Even when game journalists being giant shill became a meme, people still believe their lies.

he is a shill to the industry but I think he also takes enjoyment in it

I have no real dislike for him because all he is is a talking head
but also seems unlike a lot of other people involved in gaming he still enjoys video games

he never asked for this

He is a man who once enjoyed video games and lost his soul in the corporate shilling process.

Memes are dangerous things. They can cause people to either blindly parrot something, or blinding deny it, simply out of the desire to either follow the meme or be contrarian against it.

Well, he was mocked/analyzed after that Forbes article i believe talked about him, and most people didnt read it fully so they ended up believing he was a bad guy, while the article talked about a person fighting his demons (actually that same article fueled the beginnings of GG)
Actually if you see the review he actually doesn't really review it, it's more of a preview in which he says your usual PR talk in a very crude, cold manner in which you can see he's being almost force to do, and later on participates in a Q&A about himself, and one of the questions is ironically what he thinks about the video game journalism industry and tips to be successful at it, at this point he actually laughs for the first time and then stares into nothingness while answering (i dont remember what he answers)

He shilled legally, he did it to get brands caught into the hobby, but failed miserably and now ads are mostly inside the same industry, something he didnt want to see
Now he's a husk of his former self, i mean look at those gay awards, he's a puppet and the goodest of goys
But i still can't forget when he gave CISquisition the GOTY, you could see his butt raging hard in his gaze and metallic smile, he still had some soul, and it died in that moment
Also the time that he interviewed Don Mattick, you could see his utter disgust by the responses

He's a former good guy turned good goy, but with some remains of his critical past, very inside those dollars drenched in procesed cheese dust and lemon-flavored corn syrup

Also i apologize for overusing "actually"
Man am i shilling for this guy
No homo for him thou

god i hate this meme
Any picture posted on a chan of a person with big top lids will have at least one person saying they have "dead eyes," whatever that means. I think it's an anime thing which makes it all the more cringeworthy. KILL YOURSELVES IF YOUVE EVER SAID IT

Go away, Droopy

Even when aware that any GoTY award is a sham, they refuse to be anything but Todd cock-slave.

The only redeeming aspect that he has is his apathy.

Don't forget when he told the story about meeting with Kojima in Tokyo at least year's E3, you could hear the trembling in his voice and the deep pain he had that a good friend like Kojima was being screwed by the culture of an industry that he was, in part, guilty of creating, and then the other hosts laughed at him for showing any form of emotion and he tried to just pass it off as a joke, It was really genuinely sad.

That and the time at the TGAs that he basically told Konami to go fuck themselves for not letting Kojima accept his award, I'm honestly sorta surprised he got away with minimal flak from the execs from that.

Geoff may have sold out, but he has momentary lapses of integrity that bring him back ever so quickly and fleetingly.

Making shit up.

He shat on us for being literally worse than ISIS Hitler KKK, and generally speaking is a corporate shill, but at least he can take a joke and make one in return.

user look it the fuck up, he was stumbling over his words and looking down from the camera, he was obviously very uneasy about the whole situation, and I'd say its likely he had actual confirmation of Kojima getting fired months before it went public as well.

Youtube's E3 stream last year, don't know the exact timestamp, but right before they showed the last MGSV tralier.

Kojima deserved to be sacked, thou, and get exiled for a time, he fucked many good decisions in Konami (PES license money) and was a vacation-johnny while humping a MA
Also i really dont remember his trembling, but i dont doubt it, he clenched his fists when giving awards to doubtful winners

Yeah and he went full George Lucas with MGSV.

He's knee deep with the "indie" crew and actively tried to dismiss any corruption claim. There's still some shit to be uncovered

"More ethical than the most unethical entertainment journos out there" doesn't mean "ethical in general"

More like Coppola
I don't know if MGSV was Godfather 3 or if his next project is going to be that said finishing move that will kill all his remaining cocksukers

His old interviews/reviews used to be good but now he's way too deep in the "CURRENT YEAR" vidya industry to be allowed to quit.

At this point the vidya industry works like a fucking cartel and they won't let you quit until they decide they have no more use for you.

having a few less bumps on a cancerous tumor doesn't mean you have less cancer

Geoff "Thank you for addressing Gamergate" Keighley

I don't disagree that he did, still must have hurt to know that you basically helped cultivate this industry that doesn't give people like Kojima much leeway.

Can't take him seriously because of how weirdly he spells Jeff

is that real?

eh TGA are alright. Better than that spike shit anyway.

holy shit it's actually on his twitter page. He embraced that he is our dorito pope

thats fucking great

I think it's more about trying to appropriate the meme years after it's peak to pass the impression it didn't made him absolute ass ravaged for years and give that "ha see I can laugh at myself, I'm cool right". Also feels like nothing more than a "hey fellow kids" attempt

That's setting the bar pretty low.

I'm still wondering about that moment. Morhaime appeared to want to stay relatively neutral sounding at least on camera. Then Dorito pope basically forced his hand and Morhaime seems kinda pissed for getting dragged back in.

I doubt he cares either way, I think it was more of a "what the fuck are you doing, we paid you to be here and be on script, why are you having an opinion in our house" look.

Hmm, that sounds more plausible now that you mention it.

I miss all the fun we had

I'm still peeved about this. I wanted to believe he was a victim of circumstance, but this incident has caused me to reconsider that view.

He referenced it years ago with saying Doritos Crash Course was his game of the year or something like that.

Oldfag here, this guy is a total sellout using the definition we had in the 90s

But then again back in the 90s we didn't have fucking sponsored content

We didn't have bloggers outright selling articles through patreon

And we didn't have companies creating artificial hype using social media and bot accounts mostly because there was no social media yet, good days

If you went to the 90s and told me I wouldn't be able to read any news at all without knowing if its real or just something that a fucking bidding bot bought for some multinational to push some stupid product then I would say you come from a pretty fucked up future

And that future is now, we're living in it

Have a webm of that?

He's kind of a good guy whoring himself out to bad guys to make a living. That's how I see it. He's not great, but he's a lot more tolerable than the vast majority of others involved in so-called "journalism" these days.
His sense of humor helps.

Yeah, that shit was nice.

I feel you my friend, i do

He's okay, like others have said, he's a good guy working for bad people

It was funny seeing him get destroyed by someone more alpha than him on live TV though

Has anyone ever tweeted that to him to see what he would say?

I've always like Keighley. He seemed like one of the few people to give a shit about video games for a while, even if his taste was shit sometimes. I've just started to almost pity the man.
He just wants to be a journalist, and he either gets turned into a joke, or surrounded by jokes.

I wouldn't trust him to take out my garbage.

He just wanted to play video games

He wus a gud boi

Punished Snack, a jaded sellout.

Far from Kotaku cancer, but kind of the best case scenario for all those "get your gamer food, are you cool yet?" guys from the early 2000's

OP here, here's my take on it.
He seems like a genuinely good person that actually enjoys/cares about gaming and wants devs to do new shit… and isn't just trying to use to push his personal agenda.
The thing is that as the industry as a whole has grown at some point they'd have to sell out, such is the way of the juden, but the question was "Sell out to whom?".
Personally I think the best answer was sellout to food and drink companies but now we're stuck with websites selling out to game companies which causes collusion.

And the other thing is that he completely destroyed Angry Joe and nothing has ever made me happier than seeing that retarded mongrel so angry.

No respect, amigo? Call him by his name.

That's his name, again?

Mad Max

Rump-Rattled Rodriguez

I honestly think that watching the Pope dunk on Joe might be my favorite gaming moment of the decade. I hate that fucking asshole and seeing Keighley rustle him so hard that Joe made TWO fucking youtube videos about it made me feel real joy

he gave tumblr an award for being the best video game community and brought up gamergate during the last awards show just to shit on it for no reason

I embrace a man, who in the face of an industry intent on making shit about ideology, faces it head on with classic "hey this game is cool and also this food is fun, let's talk about this stuff more."

I used to hate him but at this point he's not even the lesser evil, he's just a dude who loves his vidya and his gamer fuel. A simpler man from a simpler time, a man we don't even deserve.

He's based. And he can make fun of himself.

Read the final hours of half-life and tell me it wasn't a good read.

Whore with a golden heart is still a whore user.

Who was that guy?

Belligerent beaner got destroyed because he got his hopes too high and didnt just tell him to re-schedule when it was obvious that the conditions for interviewing were awful. Then he asked questions and brought up points that were either poorly researched and thought-out, or simply just not relevant. Joe buried any possibility of future interviews with game devs and other higher-ups by losing his cool and shouting at Geoff, as well as using incredibly rude language.

Joel McHale, who plays the main character of Community. I bet they just wanted to hire a popular actor who was hip with millenials or something, and didn't know what they were getting into.

dewmed

this shit was ridiculous.

after berating them about shit like not having best pc or mmo categories turned out he was wrong about one of them. Didn't know how the voting worked, but the procedure was on the site.

Nigger, you're job is larping on the internet as some angry dick who takes video games too seriously. Can't take the bantz.

Geoff Keighley shit on him pretty hard, probably intentionally to get him to lose his cool (which worked because Angry Joe is a spic and a sperg).

I think this is mostly just Geoff extremely disliking Joe for the way he shat on the show previously and probably finds him to be an amateur.

He was/is an amateur though. That was his very first "interview" ever. That was first attempt at talking to another human being in front of a camera.

If only we had known…

He is a broken man.