Kings Field thread

So, I never played any of the Kings Field games but Im about to try.

What do you like about the games?
Whats your favorite one?

Discuss it

shit

Anything else?

it's

Ok then

It's good.

Oh shit I just learned about this series and did some looking around just a couple of minutes ago.
Weird coincidence.
Didnt find anything particularly bad or good. Nothing in the gameplay really popped out at me but Ill probably pick one up if I find a copy anywhere.

The atmosphere was what reeled me in really.
FOV tingles my autism though

Just play them and make up your own opinions, it's not like we long time fans have enough to deal with already having every Souls kid shitting on the series for being "slow and boring".
Play King's Field I(JP with translation patch first).

You are shit

Aight, thanks
Should I try out Sword of Moonlight after Im done playing them?

Most certainly, but you'll have some trouble making it work on W8.

>>>/linux/

Not yet, Im waiting fro Microsoft to drop support on 7 so I can make the full move.

2 is the best one. The one on the island of Melanat, that is, not the one called 2 in the west. All four of them are worth playing.

I really like the series, but it did fall into obscurity after the 4th entry. Damn shame really.

I would definitely play all of them, but understand that the very first one (JP) has aged. The game is short so if you were to do a binge run, you could probably finish it in 2~3 hours.

I prefer King's Field 3 (2 US), but King's Field 2 (1 US) is very close.

The BGM stands out throughout the series and it's one of those rare games where every sequel to it is better than it's predecessor , so ancient city it is for me

This is my favorite series and the ambient and depressing setting and the BGM are still the best ever done, at least for me. The first NA released game is my favorite. The controls will seem sluggish at the start but you will get faster as you progress. The secret passages and treasures are fantastic. I must have searched every wall looking for loot and finding the Katana with a brave leap still stands out as one of my favorite gaming memories. The graphics are not great and the only weakness I ever sensed, every thing else clicked with me. I waited and bought a PS3 just for Demons Souls and was happy with the modernization of the KF series though I wished it was a first person slasher like the previous.

I have no idea mate.
I refuse to play shit like that with joysticks.

Top tier music and the oppressive atmosphere

KF4 is my favorite one.

This series is pretty bad tbh.

Bad performance != bad game, however I refuse to play good games if they had bad performance, because you fucking ruin your enjoyment.

Is there any way to emulate KF with modern controls and framerates? We have so much technology, but barely use it.

You should play KF4, that game probably has the slowest moving protagonist in a first person game

No and there never will be.
Remember how Dark Souls 1 had collision issues when it was forced to run at 60fps?
I wouldn't be surprised if the game does a hard crash in an emulator if you somehow manage to unlock the framerate.
Not to mention the slow movement and turn speed is deliberate to remove loading times.

Too bad.

Shadow Tower fixed the performance issue. However, the rest of the problems are still there.

Arx Fatalis is a better game than KF.

I'd struggle to recommend any of them except for 4 and even then the games just haven't aged well, still better than Eternal Ring was atleast.

Is it just a case of hipsters trying to flex or are they actually good?

Shadow tower is the one I played the most.
Controls were fucking terrible.

They have their merits, but Souls mostly taken over with modern control schemes and 3rd person camera. Basically play those if you want KF experience but don't want to suffer outdated aspects of them.

Except for Shadow Tower, it stands out as, what do you call it, modern fantasy? Where you both have demons and firearms and shit. And firearms are actually as powerful offensive weapons as they should be compared to swords, unlike say bloodborne, where they function as parrying daggers/shields.

Souls is shit, there isn't any survival aspect of it.

You're thinking of Shadow Tower Abyss.

There isn't any survival aspect to KF either. If you don't like souls, you won't like KF.
But if you do like souls, going back to KF might be difficult.

And yes I was talking about Shadow Tower Abyss, on PS2.

I like Souls combat. I didn't like the concept however. I like the simpler dungeon crawling concept of King's Field, but I dislike the combat.

Ah yes, souls take tehemepark approach a bit too far.
If the entirety of the game took place in one huge underground labyrinth it would be dope as shit, but folks would complain about lack of variety. No way from would do that.

Isn't there a PC port? Or like the games recreated on a different engine?

Yeah, I always have the feeling that the level design of Souls is really casual.

In other news water is wet .It's a FromSoftware game , they can't get this shit right for years now even with DeS or DaS and that's when they came the closest to getting it right

This and a general slowness of their games are some of the less celebrated identifying trademarks of a FromSoftware game by now

I love Souls controls, fuck you

Well, I also play on kb+m, so I don't know how bad they are on pads though.

Ever played Armored Core, user? This shouldn't be a surprise.

I like it a lot, i've played the first (japanese version, if i remember correctly theres a fan translation) and i recommend it to you

just keep in mind that the gameplay is very clunky, i kept playing in small amounts (10~20 minutes) daily and took about 2 weeks to fully understand everything (like learning to control the camera and kite enemies)

Loving them doesn't make them good , one can get used to things given some redeeming qualities and enough time

Just look at FNV
People still like it
Why?
Because it makes up for it's shortcomings in other areas , so they just accept it for the flawed gem it is rather than the polished turd it's sequel turned out to be

Same here. I've got GNU+Linux installed on my university laptop, but until I'm pushed off of Windows 7 (or there's some other turn of events to get me away from it) I think it's still gonna be the OS on my main computer.

Anyway, Shadow Tower: Abyss allowed here?

Please don't mention Zenimax Fallout in the same discussion as New Vegas/non-Zenimax Fallout.