What would the perfect ARPG look like to you? With Grim Dawn...

What would the perfect ARPG look like to you? With Grim Dawn, Path of Exile and Diablo 3 being the main games right now and they all have their own flaws i wonder what a perfect ARPG would play like. Here are some of my ideas

Diablo 2 + upgrade graphics

The one i care the most is the combat system. I really want to see an ARPG where combat are not click based with a few hotkeys but similar to DMC with tons of cool combos. Why dont that exist yet?

For it would be like this:

I'm going to say the opposite, Path of Exile with Diablo 2 graphics/atmosphere would be pretty good.

Google up Blade & Sword, isometric one, not mmo. It's exactly that - DMC on Diablo 2 engine.

I want it to not be click based but i like the idea anyway. It do look like there are not that many different skills and while there are combos it is not the same as the cool shit you can do in DMC

Sounds like PSO2.

Bump as non clickbait threads seem to get less views

To elaborate:

Check

Check

Check, you can affix and re-affix your equipment.

That's a separate mechanic, called skill customization. It in early steps now, but along with weapon gear a lot of active skills can perform differently.

Check. It's not as huge as PoE of course, but it's there.

There both boring and cool ones.

Check. It can't really compare to DMC, but it has a lot more weapons, and is much deeper than say musou games.

Check. There are no truly endless modes though.

Well tough shit there, it's an online game, no extensive modding or offline.
There are language and texture mods though.

Check. But number grinding is in there too.

Not that extreme, but there are active effects produced by weather, like rainstorms making rivers hard to traverse or several weapons drawing power from bright sunlight and increasing damage.

I would just like Path of Exile without the overwhelming focus on economy. Make it suitable for self-found and we'd be fucking golden. Make the orbs not just objects of commodity, but tools of crafting (for everyone, not just the top of the elite) like they're bloody supposed to.

Actually when saying "DMC" I mean 3 and 4 there.
Compared to 1 and 2 PSO2 has much more crazy and elaborate combat system.

I am also thinking about Dragon Nest and C9 that have cool combos and great combat in general but have boring items and is pay2win

And ofcouse designed in a way where skill reset cost 20 usd and everyone have the same skill build

How bad is the pay2win? Like can you buy costumes that give imba stats or are there the classic asian gear upgrade system where you need cash items to make your gear godlike?

D2's atmosphere and artstyle is still the best in the genre.

Them armors and shit are fucking amazing. Literally no other ARPG can match its gothic feel.

PoE, Sacred, D3 and Grim Dawn look like total shit in comparison.

Bump

For me it's Elder Scrolls world design and mechanics, but with Dark Messiah combat.

They aren't even RPG games retard.

Dark Souls in an ARPG no way you slice it. It's interactions are primarily action-based but their success is also based on how you manage your character's attributes and equipment.

Talking about boss battles only. Many Diablolikes have shitty boss battles

PoE is fantastic apart of the fucking awful performance issues.

Still not an RPG. RPG needs some kind of abstraction. It's just an action game with RPG elements, only a bit more RPG than STALKER.

An act 2 boss that wipes your entire party 20 seconds after you walk through the door.

Man I just want Dark Alliance 3

Or someone to leak the unreleased PC versions of 1 & 2.

What do you mean by abstraction? Dark Souls is all by the numbers just your personal skill applies the numbers rather than dice rolls.

If we're taking that route, I'd say music would need to be changed, too.

There's something really off about fighting hordes of demons to the slow shit they have going on there.

Yeb, abstraction is basically dice rolls. It's a set of "invisible" events that are defined by RNG. 99% of all video games are dictated by numbers you know. By your logic, STALKER and Borderlands are RPG games too.

Lost Ark

Looks great but i fear it will be pay2win or they will find some way to ruin it. Hopefully i am wrong

Oh fuck off.

Build variety:aka not Path of cookiecutter builds that rely on uniques or 1 viable build per season D3
Interesting defensive skills that aren't strictly needed but help out a ton if applied properly: Attract and Grim Totem from D2 being prime examples
Loot where rare items matter as much, if not more than uniques/legendaries: finding a good rare should be a joy, finding a godly one should be amazing, finding a MS/triple 30+ resist pair of boots in D2 should be the pinnacle of loot.
Good multiplayer. I want to play with my friends. I don't want to just play with 3 of my friends. Fuck you D3.
Offline play.
No passives, or very few weak/generic ones. ACTION RPG, not PASSIVE RPG.

It's pretty annoying how torchlight 2 is basically 'pick your ranged DPS skill and build your character around getting as much damage out of it'. It's the most boring gameplay of any ARPG.

The genre attracts the worst kind of gameplay.

Diablo 1 with less clicking mouse 1.

Fuck you.

Mad Diablo 3 shitter detected. How are those 5000 g rifts treating you?

Bullshit occuring is a constant risk in any game these days. However what I've seen so far of the game is hit after hit of shit that, frankly, SHOULD have been Diablo 3.

And THAT is what ARPG's are in desperate need of. The genera is stagnant at the moment. Every iteration does only the smallest tweak here or there to give its own spin on the formula. We need someone to come along and break down the genera and figure out what it is, what it can do, and a fun way to do it.

Lets take some of the most basic components of the game. Just the basics of timing and positioning. In an ARPG you have to be aware of just what attacks are flying through the air, or how close a bruiser is to you and figure out how to avoid to much damage stacking up as well as putting out your own damage. However most games in this genera never look at how to make that more interactive and enjoyable, some times they luck into it. Think about it, now that we're playing on machines more powerful than toasters and with internet connections not transfered via smoke signals, is there any reason that enemies shouldn't have vulnerable periods in their attack and spell casting animations? Is there any reason that we shouldn't have movement abilities, as well as enemy attack animations that let clever players flank behind an enemy and get bonus damage from attacking from behind?

And for gods sake, can we bring back fucking drawbacks on items/abilities/buffs? We get lucky if we get a berserk buff damage done/damage taken trade off, but why not massive def bonus for slower movement, or increased accuracy for increased susceptibility to status effects?

Gay?

I think the core aspect of "fun" is the way in which you are randomly introduced to new elements that can potentially change how the game works and what you can do.

You make your builds, then you go out and fight, you get rare drops, which potentially can enable new build or change old ones, thus changing the way you engage the game. The irony of a game that uses heavy grinding as it's primary mechanic, fundamentally is trying to provide an experience which is constantly changing and expanding.

I think if an ARPG focused more on this and less on just amassing stats, it could better control it's balance, so to speak.

Also maybe introducing new designs all together, so that it isn't simply "top down".

It's directly pay to win.
Cosmetics don't have stats.
But upgrading your shit costs in-game money and you can earn those by both completing quests and selling cosmetics. And only premiums can sell shit consistently. So yeah you can buy shit for real money and sell it for in-game money.
But there isn't anything that non-paying player can't get.

fuck

I hope you get killed in a Muslim terror attack

You pretty much just described PSO2

I like the idea of random negative affixes and i agree it should be done more

any diablo 1 clones that i missed back then?

Torchlight 1 is exactly D1 clone.
PSO (the original and its expansions/updates) is anime D1 clone.
Shadow Throne, maybe? I couldn't play it for more than 30 minutes.
I can't think of anything else, most of these games are modeled after D2.

Forgot to remove sage.