90th Academy Awards nominees

Welp, it’s that time of year again. And it’s just as bad as you’d expect.

Best Animated Feature Film nominees

Best Animated Short Film nominees

LEGO got snubbed again despite making one of the best animated movies of the year. Loving Vincent is probably the best of what’s actually nominated, but it’s not as if they’re going to give it to anybody but Disney. I haven’t seen Breadwinner, but I’d imagine it’s mainly up there for virtue signaling, not because they think it’s actually good. I haven’t seen any of the shorts so I can’t speak to them.

Which one?

Boss Baby got in probably as some 'hilarious' Trump jab, because it was one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen.

Batman probably. It wasn't perfect, but it was miles ahead of Ferdinand.

I just realized that I haven't seen a single thread for Loving Vincent despite how good it is, it really is an incredible achievement in animation on a technical level.

Make a thread then, dude. I hadn't even heard of it until now.

Fuck, just from the trailer alone it really is something. I don't even get how they made it. I need a documentary on the making of.

I can't claim to have seen it, but it looks incredible from the trailers.

I can't help but draw a comparison to Cuphead though. Both seem to follow a similar thought process.

I wonder if this will become a trend. I hope so, because it actually takes effort, unlike most trends, which means that garbage will be weeded out by sheer process of "trying to make this low-effort just can't and won't work"

I torrented Loving Vincent a few weeks ago, but it looked weirdly cropped for some reason. Does anyone have a link for a normal looking version?

So this trend won't suffer from having a bunch of cheap knock offs trying to ape it then?

IMO 'Loving Vincent' should not be counted as an animated film, because technically speaking, it hasn't been animated, It's basically been put through a laborious and expensive visual effects filter made of human hands. It's not like they couldn't have made an actual animation using paint and in the style of Van Gogh. It would likely have been less expensive, less time consuming, and more visually appealing.

Rotoscoping still counts as animation.
Cell shading filters probably don't.

Hopefully no, because if anyone tried to do a cheap knockoff of it, it'd be really, really obvious that they put no effort into it and no one would buy it.

Why is animation such a fucking joke to these people?

how is that possible?

(checked)
For some bullshit reason the Academy has NEVER regard animation as being more difficult/longer to make compared to live action film (think about the fact with animation, you are basically sculpting a lifeless set of lines into a character and then bringing them to "life" on screen unlike just having real actors acting in front of a camera. Also most people don't even know the processes behind animation.)
Animation is basically separated it into it's own categories so it doesn't have to "touch" the live action films, and itfwhat info has been revealed over the years, most members of judging committee don't even bother watching the animated movies (or shorts) and just abstain from voting (or if they do, only watch the Disney/Pixar movie and just blatantly vote for that).

The only way this is going to change is if more of the older judging members stop judging/die off and more of the younger generation of voters get in the judging committee (who might be more inclined to watch animation) start voting.

Hollywood jews are essentially never grew out of the "I don't like x because only babies like that" phase.

Reading those is goddamn infuriating. I know whoever wins doesn't matter, but knowing these idiots think like this just makes me mad.

What gets me is how hard he lays on the "I don't give a fuck, all of this is stupid, I fucking walked out of the theater and did some boring shit instead, because I thought that was better" and then flips to "Frozen is intelligent, empowering, and inspiring!"

Half of them say Frozen is some masterpiece and the other half say they didn't even see any of the other movies. If that happened with any other category, people would be pissed off.

fake news.

Frozen is mediocre at best, Mona was better mostly due to the Rock.

You apear to be lost friend, this is not 4chan.

t. Kike

The Wind Rises was robbed that year inb4 >>>/a/
How is Frozen "empowering" anyway?

How is The Boss Baby in that category at all?

They probably just put on google animated movies 2017 and take the first things they see

Animation has less of a celebrity circle jerk. You can't bribe a young starlet with a role in an animated picture so that you can fuck her. You don't have to make a film in or around California. You don't even need a single big name to make a good animated film. Sure you can advertise a film on the basis that it stars the Rock but they show up for a day to read lines and are never seen again.

Apparently to be considered you have to submit a few forms and show the film in most of California for about a month. Then you will be considered.
I'm honestly surprised Vincent got on the list with how limited it's run was, gotta put an indie film on the list I guess.

Probably it contains some ebin drumpf jokes.

Those were two different people

But that's exactly what happens with every other category. Awards generally and the Oscars specifically are just one massive circlejerk, nothing more. Knowing Disney, they probably stacked the jury pool.

Tara Strong

Actual artists are poorfags. Unless you want to pander to commissioners or somehow convinced a curator your postmodern bullshit is worth millions, you're literally starving for work. According to wiki, they hired 125 painters to make 65,000 frames' worth of oil paintings for a budget of $5.5 million. If that's an even split with no other costs of production each painter makes 520 frames for 44 grand. To make it more interesting, that's $84 for a painting, minus the cost of a blank canvas and the paint used for it. Now when you factor in that there were VAs and various executives taking their cuts, it's hard to say if there was any money left to reimburse the slaves for the food and shelter they needed while building this pyramid. But apparently the real story is how hard Van Gogh had it and how glad we can be that artists these days have their dignity back.

She's 45.

Loving Vincent whilst great was pretty clearly rotoscoped. I can see how that could cut down on costs. Amazing technique but essentially tracing.

OR those artists had the skills of freakin gods if they could do it off memory.

Fug man, I remember setting a mental note for when this came out months ago but I forgot about it. I'll go watch it now.

They did use live-action reference, but every frame literally was an individual painting.

Yeah? Your point?

I know, why would they put Boss Baby in the same category as that piece of shit

That is not young, especially by the standards of trading sex for favors.

Fugggg man. This was worth waiting for. A movie looking this beautiful deserves an Oscar.

A) She was young once
B) It doesn't mean she's not up for a roll if it will get her a role

You're either missing the point really badly or just baiting.

You're missing the point