You will never craft Eggmanland in your own building simulation

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chao
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is Dr. Robotnik / Eggman consistently the best character in every Sonic incarnation?

What about the autistic underage children?

I will never understand why they never went and made a full game based around the chao garden.

bump

So…you all excited that we'll likely get to explore a slice of Eggmanland when Sonic comes to Lego Dimensions?

what
how would sonic even ball up as a lego (unless hes a bohrok)

I've learned to stop questioning things at this point given Lego Dimensions so far and the trailer.

I'm sorry, but what the fuck?

You don't want to lay waste to Green Hill Zone as Harry Potter?

Because SEGA hates money, evidently, and especially if it's in large quantities acquired for minimal effort. Also, because fuck the people that actually propose to give them endless money, the goddamned heathens.

On the bright side, this leaves plenty of room for people to make their own permutations on the concept of the Chao/A-Life system, and make their own games around the concept which flesh it out far more. On the other hand, this creates plenty of opportunity for non-functional autists to make nonsensical stupid shit that goes nowhere, and for indie clique hipsters to jew idiots out of their money with empty promises.

Considering it requires a decent amount of effort to produce a fun and functional Chao Garden clone game that isn't just a full-on clone/isn't worse than the original in every way, and nobody outside people who can play video games adequately and genuinely enjoy them knows about it, good luck seeing any kind of spiritual successor arrive anytime soon. It's too "difficult" to make with a mere degree in African Bongo Studies, and not dumb enough or easy enough to mass-produce for anyone to see any profit in marketing it to the drooling masses, so it's probably not happening unless an /agdg/ user actually does the impossible, and just makes game.

I'll never understand how the hell that whole thing works. A-Life sounds like tamagotchi with BLAST PROCESSING.

This reeks like it was made from DeviantART.

'STOP IT.

I SAID STOP IT!

Local eggplant farmer and doctor builds robot to help with his farm, goes mad with power and enslaves local wildlife.

Go away, blue hedgehog

Given the amount of fandom pandering this reeks of, I'll just stick with Lego Worlds…

As if they couldn't rev up those fanfictions even harder.
WHENS SHAWN OF THE DEAD LEGO

One of the things that made SA2 work so well was the fact that it was not oversaturated on number of levels, but the Chao mechanic coaxed you to go through levels over and over again to find them and keep getting them.

It actually gave a massive amount of replayability.

>serves as a prequel to the next mainline sonic game where Eggman rules the world

You are both wrong.
The reason is in fact much more simple.
The guy that coded and created the SA chao gardens left or was fired when sega went third party, and the people that were left at the company literally had NO IDEA how he did it, so they didn't even try and at least emulate his work.
I read that years ago and i have no idea where.

How has this changed since it was first posted a month or so ago? It was pretty awesome but I was hoping for some more, I guess persistence? Be able to build lego towns and be a lego necromancer.

well nowadays it would be some mobile augmented reality game. is that okay?

Dubs of truth, fellow patrician

Sure the game was unpolished as fuck but the inclusion of that minigame is what I think kept most anons in the game

So basically CnC Eggberium Wars?

What if:
> Story focuses on Eggman's latest defeat. Decides to rebrand and focus on world domination. Player chooses whether Eggman calls himself Eggman/Robotnick (other characters say the opposite). End of game, Eggman declare to final boss he is "Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnick"

Or should I just strip the sonic stuff and amateur game dev this myself under a new IP?

People often criticize SA2 for the fact only a few of the levels were good, but at least the devs put in something to encourage you to replay those levels and get something from it beyond better ranking.

looks good, aside from ballbusters

that would be catastrophically difficult to make based on OG sonic level design structures and standards

That's always the answer, user.
As much as it hurts there's no point in waiting for the companies of the IPs we love doing anything with them these days.

We have to repopulate and take things for ourselves.

Damn

True that.

Now how am I going to convert my HuniePop RPG into a non lewd game that still holds its own…

Isn't that cause Japanese companies don't preserve their code or whatever?

How can they not know?!

It's literally just character creator face modification as the Chao slightly changes based on stats/alignment, plus basic AI as it runs around.

I bet an amateur dev could pull it off.

Unless Chaos actually had personality? I swore one of mine liked sleeping by a pillar, but I just figured it was "stuck" there and often got caught up on it's collision.

It's not feminism?

is Eggman still the only human in the Archie Comics depiction of the Sonic world?

When Snively betrayed him, he locked him in the same rubber room he got put in when he went mad for a bit.

Snively was locked up and implied to basically be left to rot.

Then the universe rebooted so he "doesn't exist".

IIRC, they've had humans in GUN, and implied there was some kind of human vs furry war in the past.

In one of the continuities, the giant floating island in Sonic 1 was all of Mobius, then it fell to earth with humans.

Others have Mobius in it's own dimension Zone, and it got smushed with the human one.

Seeing Sonic in lego universe we may actually be able to robotnik lands just yet.

Do you mean OVA Sonic or something else?

I don't think chao garden would work as its own game. The grind of getting animals and drives i think made it better in a way.

The comics have been rebooted so many times.

Yeah I know.
Each stat has it's own "form" along with each version in neutral, Hero, and Dark. E.g. Dark Power has tiger stripes, Hero Swimming has yellow fins.

After this, the chao can slightly change is another stat is boosted up, or you just keep boosting the main stat.

Not counting the Chaos form chaos made by giving a chao one of every animal.

got a link that explains?

In current continuity (there was a soft reboot one or two years ago), it mainly follows the games. There's plenty of humans now, but the comics took the liberty of adding civilian "mobians" as well, and the two seem to live alongside each other perfectly fine.

There's only been one explicit reboot. You might be thinking of an entirely separate comic or just some kind of retcon in the old Archie-verse.

The fan-fiction fire rises.

Did you even play SA1?

yes please

So when the localization team were trying to make a new name for Eggman, I was wondering why they didn't think about calling him Dr.Robotegg before Robotnik? I mean if you look into the history, Eggman was almost called Fatty Lobotnik or some shit as a localization name before they settled for Robotnik, and I was wondering why they didn't come up with a pun seeing that Eggman have a sort of egg shell philosophy behind his robots? I mean you could point to how all his mechs and robots with animal batteries are similar to eggs. He even made egg puns in some US books in the 90's.

Eggman already successfully blew up the earth with a giant space laser and proceeded to build Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed. The premise of the game was essentially that Eggman finally accomplished all the stuff he's been trying to do this entire time.

Sonic Adventure's idea that it was a derogatory nickname by Sonic was a good idea. Then eventually he would just come to accept it and try to "take it back." Of course in the actual games he was calling himself Eggman since Sonic 2, even if you only look in the games and ignore all other material. So this transition would need to happen long before Sonic Adventure. This would need to be a prequel that happens before Sonic 2, at the latest. Sonic 1 does say it's not the first time Sonic and Eggman fought. So it could be even before then.

Not for years. Like ten years ago the new writer started trying to salvage the mess that was the comics and make it a little more like the games. Then a few years ago they did a semi-reboot and now the world is much more like the games only with the Freedom Fighters as main characters still for some reason instead of guys like Knuckles or whatever.

All his shit was called stuff like "Death Egg." All those references seemed weird as fuck to me as a kid.

i used to until i learned to appreciate the cheese

As a kid, I thought Eggman was given that name similar to how supervillains had weird names, like Joker or the Penguin. Also, it's always so weird whenever I see some adaptations (usually fan-made) that try to implement as an insult because it's just too weird and specific to be used as an insult. Like they can't use the insult Eggbutt or Humpty Dumpty? I think it's better if Eggman was just a nickname by Sonic and his friends but more of a codename or something they would call a supervillain by seeing that the originals already have Robotnik carrying an egg theme, like the Death Egg.

Snogina usual I see

I wish I could sell fanfictions instead of busting my balls in burger king

You ignored Teen titans go

In other news, Archie comics wanted to do comics with Nintendo characters, they scrapped the idea because Nintendo themselves rejected it.

Your thoughts about it, do you feel good that Adam Sandler was allowed use their characters and not Archie comics?

I understand Nintendo not wanting some tie in comics as they want Mario's identity to be synonymous with video games and they feel that straying from it will take away his charm. Probably why the old Mario cartoons had video game sound effects or how they were pretty close to their source in adaptation. I can see the comics working even if they don't have to be so video gamey. I'd imagine it'd be like Asterix.

Mfw the new ghostbusters sit on store shelves with half off stickers forever

But it already happened, it even was before Mario Maker.

Because he just wants to make Mobius great again.

Is Sonic World any good? Looks interesting.

It's okay, mediocre at worst.
That retard at IGN that literally didn't know how to jump review bombed that game, giving the game a bad rep.

Time to give it a serious try. Specially after I couldn't replay SA1 because of the camera spin bug.

I've been playing my old ass burned copy of SA1 on my pc lately and aside from not being able to use res higher than 1200x1024, or something, it works perfectly fine.

DO you play it with an 360 controller? Because my problem is with the controller plug-ins or something, the camera keeps spinning unless I move or move the right stick.
I read it have to do with new controllers having extra axis that aren't compatible with SA1 specifically or something, and I still haven't figured out a fix. Shit's killing me, I really wanted to play SA1 comfily with a controller. Surprisingly, the mouse controls aren't that bad.

I'm using my very old dual stick, "not ps2" usb controller.
It may have something to with that.

Here is my exact problem.
It's probably that, considering how old SA1 port is. I heard the Steam version fixed it so I might get a cracked version as a last resource.

This does, I think.

sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chao

How do chao fans do it?

Oh ho ho, it won't sit on shelves just for being NuGhostbusters.

The NuGhostbusters pack is a whopping 50 bucks.

Dedication.

Do the hours have to be spent exclusively in a chao garden?

To be honest, I don't remember, but I don't think so. Although I'm pretty sure you have to be present for your Chao to evolve.

I remember at times simply coming into my garden after a while and seeing my chao cocooned on his way to his next evolution, so i don't think you have to be in the garden at all times.
Just a majority.

Is it bad that the reason I replayed SA2 levels was for A ranks and never touched the Chao garden?

Just when you think they can't top that God Hand fuckup.

I just played with a keyboard before moving to the original Dreamcast version and GC port.

That game is fun as fuck. I wish they'd hurry up and get building right, though. Sucks making a nice sized building only for it to be too large to save.

Eggman very easily straddles a line where he can be both an alarmingly serious threat (forcibly making cyborgs out of denizens of Sonic's world or using them as organic batteries for robots) and a complete goofball (personal-assistant robots are invariably retarded and unhelpful by Eggman's own design, loves Chao and built his own private Chao Garden in the first Adventure game, was tossing around abandoning world-domination plans to be a teacher at the end of Generations)

He also seems to be a fat NEET when left to his own devices and not world-conquerin' and so he is Holla Forums's spirit-animal

Other than that, it's shit.
Into junkbot it goes.

Part of me felt they should have tried doing that since the days of SA2 Battle but the thing is the main game is supposed to be a distraction that makes caring for the things too tedious. Likewise it feels okay to spend a lot of time practicing and failing in the main game because at least you know in the back of your mind that you're getting materials for your chaos. Let's be honest here, no matter how autistic you are a chao garden 2.0, with some shitty little ring-earning mini-games makes for a shit game, may as well make it for mobile (god forbid). -so if you want to make a game that focuses on raising chaos then there has to be a replacement counterpart or integration of you growing chaos into a greater purpose. What that is I don't know, somebody else is gonna have to fill in the blanks for me on that one but I would like to imagine something that vaguely resembles Pikmin or Little King's Story in your chaos being functional units to be admired.

A long time ago on 4chan I said a chao garden game would be a goldmine for a question that gets raised. Who exactly is your protagonist? You could let the player make OC the Character and more than being fanboys those crazy Sonic fans would Cream their damn pants. Actually, I'm gonna take that joke just now and address a concern I feel gets smoothed over with that idea. Sonic Adventure 2 had a good thing going, depending in part on the characters you used and their alignments the chaos would take on fun characteristics like say looking like Sanic. Well despite how any new entry in a game should try new things and have their own identity it seems a shame to lose what was so central and worked so well right? -and the problem would be that when only Coldsteel visits the garden then if you want to use that machanic then you only have the potential to make a Coldsteel Jr. and no potential for anything else (because hey, what excuse does Sonic and friends have to visit?). What fixes that is by having a mascot who bridges the gap to the important characters, someone who does adventure with a chao already and can give purpose to the central plot of the game: Cream the Rabbit with her friend Cheese. Now with Easter Bunny being promoted to Isabelle status you have waifu bait tying everything together and breathing life into a less-appreciated slice of life product very similar to Animal Crossing.

What do you guys think? Any good? Should I keep spitballing this imaginary game? I might be dry anyway at this point.

GREENHILL FOR THE HEDGEHOGS, MYSTIC RUINS FOR THE ECHIDNAS, EGGMANLAND, METROPOLIS FOR EVERYONE???. Sonic The Hedgehog is keyword for human genocide.

Reminds me of that video I saw a while back from those "red letter media" guys what do things on movies, who decided to try to jump in on games.
Declared Sonic to be shit because they didn't know how to do the roll stuffs. Also seems they were absolutely terrible at games in general from what I remember them complaining of.

Chao Crossing is an idea that tickles my nostalgia. Gimme more, boss.

Well are his robots called something like badniks in the Japanese version? If so it sort of makes sense, they're just commonplace baddies and Eggman is the guy who makes the robots (the "nik" being some sort of suffix).

Badass is what it sounds, it's an egg that hatches death from it. Continuing what I was saying above localization works out very nicely too with all the "egg" stuff with Sonic 2. From that game to Sonic and Knuckles the Death Egg is a big thing, Robotnik's ultimate weapon. You could say everything revolves around it and therein lies the central theme. That's just one idea one could bullshit it all instead of just going with the creators' intentions though.

greato daze

Well in terms of gameplay I don't know what all could actually look similar to Animal Crossing but having space dedicated to each chao would be an idea worth considering I think. Expanding on that some sort of room design feature would probably be easy enough (be those rooms more personal or public ), I've seen a good number of games add such features. Oh but there's something that bugged me about Sonic Adventure 2 that came off as a little of a missed opportunity and that was little items that your character could pick up (like tires or golden skull thingies) in action stages. It felt like it would have been fun if you could go out of your way to transport them all the way to the goal and then have that item be in your chao garden (just for fun even, a little knick-knack with no purpose) but as it was they were just for maybe goofing around with, no real application of killing enemies with even though it was possible. It wouldn't be the same but I guess that's one thing that gets me thinking of Pikmin or whatever. For the record though I think whatever action or otherwise a teamwork-fueled gameplay a central plot might incorporate should involve maybe three partner choas at most to reinforce a close relation with every individual as you play as well as choosing wisely the best ones for a certain set of tasks (your chaos purposefully chosen, bred and nurtured to help success).

An idea I forgot to mention was incorporating friends into your game through online or whatever other trading of data gets done these days or in the future. You can invite your friend over to trade chaos or just help you with your chao garden. -and with their influence your chao might take on their characteristics instead of yours or whichever Sonic character you might prompt to visit.

Well it's never explained what their motivations were already (in 2 it's pretty much outright not a canon interaction) there might be some serious plot dilema that only chaos can solve and these characters want to help you (who has special inate talent to use their cooperation and bring out their abilities) save the world or some shit as they take a break from whatever they were just doing (lots of opportunity for dialogue there). While it wouldn't be taken too seriously each character would have their concerns on the whole operation too. It would be funny to hear their input about what's ideal for your chaos to grow up to be (more opportunity for fan servicey dialogue to reflect your favorite characters' personalities in a quite situational matter), a character like Eggman for example might comment what good little underlings they could be or show a side of himself that isn't just obsession with world dominance. Maybe what's most exciting about a game like this is an excuse to bring back Chaos and Tikal as characters as well.

*a distraction so that caring for the chaos does not become too tedious and boring.

Sorry for any other errors, hard to proofread like this. I imagine you anyone who cares can figure it out anyway or just ask.

And this is why Sonic fails. If the villain is a doofus, he's harder to take seriously say, even when he splits Mobius in half. And if you can't take the villain seriously, you won't be as invested in the heroics of the main character, because it will feel as if anyone could defeat such a silly, bumbling villain.

C'mon, do you really not Robotnik's role or personlity in any 3D Sonic game? It's not like he's a moron as you're making him out to be, he just has an ego about him that extends to goofiness. If he gets called Eggman just because of Sonic's snarkiness it works that he'll endure it until he wins and jetisons him into space or something (because if he keeps having to argue about it it's just a joke that was never funny). Now they just sort of pretend that the compromise line in Sonic Adventure never happened and it's his actual title or something and it's just supposed to be something you accept. It's not really of consequence though, it's not like with Sonic's personality and ruining his plans constantly that Eggman could command respect until the moment he held all the cards anyway. His victory is all the sweeter when he comes out on top of the guy who antagonized him.

He got called Robuttnik in the cartoon to so it's much the same thing if you were trying to make a point of that.

They all should really but that's especially amusing yeah.

Really though, is this successful at all or is it bombing like that MMO they tried?

The only thing of note they did was try to try and add designs and I bet it's awful.

Why…? I mean not that I care about the game itself anyway but WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

Because Ian knows Knuckles belongs on his island protecting his emmerowd instead of abandoning it all the time to go hang out with Sonic and buddies.

Sonic World, the fangame, not Sonic Lost World.

The gameplay is good, the levels that come with it suck ass. I don't know if any community created levels are any better.

It's actually thriving just short of Amiibo.

Nintendo probably saw what Archie did to Sonic from 1994-2006 and decided that they couldn't let that happen to Mario again.

But they're not, Movieblob. Mario and Luigi aren't from Brooklyn. The Super Show has Wart's minions working for Bowser. World has cavemen as the main characters just because it takes place in Dinosaur Land. All the Koopalings have their names changed. And I don't recall the level in Super Mario Bros. 3 where your goal is to make it to a Milli Vanili concert.

There is a Mario OVA that is surprisingly accurate, but nobody talks about it. Embed related. (Movie doesn't actually start until 45 seconds in.)

There's also a Mario manga that actually adapts the games and has been running for like 25 years.

I'm pretty sure time doesn't move in the Chao Garden unless you're in there. I have Chao from my original save file when I first got the game on Dreamcast, because once I raised them well enough to get the emblems I became scared of them dying and put them all in a Garden that I would never visit, so time would stand still for them and they would be immortal. Sometimes I'd visit to bring another new chao to them and they'd be alive years later.

No, getting A Ranks is the best part. You get cool unlockables and learning the best routes through the levels is where the real fun of the game is.

Why would they be called that if his name isn't Robotnik? And if they were, don't you think you would have heard them be called Badniks in any of the games? That word was never used in literally any of the games.

The comics' idea that he calls the Chaotix to help him out when he has to go on some adventure makes sense. The point is, the fucking Freedom Fighters, who no kid picking up the comic is going to know about, shouldn't be main characters. They should be tertiary characters like, say, The Chaotix, or the Babylon Rogues. Not the stars of the comic. The stars should be characters who have actually appeared in games. It would make more sense for Big the Cat to be a main character than it does for Rotor Walrus.

Robotnik works best as a villainous goof who can still be threatening, as evident by SATAM being cringy and AoSTH being funny and portraying him well enough despite being a poor man's looney tunes

Only Doug Walker thinks otherwise

A lot of the comic's fanbase has been reading since before the reboot and has gotten invested in the freedom fighters. I'm sure most of them would be seriously put off if suddenly all those characters went from primary roles to tertiary ones in the span of a single cross-over arc which they don't even appear in. Are you really suggesting Archie alienate a good portion of its readership like that?

The games these days are so light on plot and characters anyway that no kid is going to care about anyone besides Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and maybe Knuckles/Amy. Everyone else, besides Eggman's current henchbots, are stuck to one or two single appearances in a game, if they appear at all. Metal, Shadow, and Silver got lucky as rival bosses in Generations. Might as well have the freedom fighters, who are rather important to the history of the franchise in the U.S., especially the comic, be important characters. If you personally don't like them, I get that it sucks, but your personal tastes shouldn't dictate what the comic is.

So Evil Genius but with essentially only "elite" enemies rather than sometimes having like six fucking agents show up at your island at once?

I bet it was in that Chronicles RPG.

Oh, Lost World had Eggman personally call them Badniks, and they were labeled as such in Sonic 4 and Sonic Rivals 2.

YOU HUSH

By the way is there a way they go about punctuating the plural of "chao" or do they just make talking about them chaos?

I beg to differ. AOSTH had me invested.

Why not construct some sort of barb guarding the end of a rope?
As an Americanfag I'm envious of Britfags because wild hedgehogs are fucking cute. Even if they're pests.

I'm suggesting Archie begin to downplay them. You don't need a Crisis to make characters less important. Just a story arc or two where they all become busy with other stuff and Sonic has to go on an adventure with Tails, Knuckles, and Amy for once.

Kids are much more likely to go back and play the old games and have knowledge of who the old characters are than they are to have knowledge of who the Freedom Fighters are.

Comics have such an infinitesimally small audience compared to video games, and they would benefit from actually lining up with the games a little bit. It's not about personal preference. It's about the fact that when a kid picks up a Sonic the Hedgehog comic, it's going to be because he likes the games, and if you want to actually hook the kid, you would have a better chance if the comic was actually about the characters from the games, rather than characters from a show that, while decent, had barely anything to do with Sonic in the first place.

The plural of chao is chao.

Capture them and drive them out of the planet!

DiCheads were desperate for jewgold when Mario was jizzing cash, they become popular because of the ytps.

Even worse, they made Jughead into an asexual, the supervisor thinks she can molest her employees because they're white.

I rather watch Mario in a failed SNL sketch (no ghostbusters plz) than fucking progressive bullshit.

Or just make one giant obstacle course with loops and shit surrounding the rope. Or use it to lure them into a goal with food at the end like says that's far away from the rope.

Jughead has always been asexual. Or at least burgersexual. He has no time for girls, only burgers.

There is two steam ports get the newer one. The old steam port is so broken the config buttons on the launcher don't do anything. It also brakes mod support with the original and you can't play in widescreen.

Yeah, but no one gave a fuck back then.

Wonder what Aaron behind the Sonic twitter account is up to. Hasn't posted for 4 days and E3, Sonic's 25th anniversary, and the San Diego convention are all around the corner..

There is only DOCTOR IVO ROBOTNIK. DO-DO-DOCTOR IVO ROBOTNIK!

Songname pls?
Don't recognise it.