Darkest Dungeon

Release came and went, and with it the hype, the fanboyism, and the kneejerk hatred.
What's the final verdict? Right proper Lovecraftian struggle against fate, or shitty RNGfest with less balance than a one legged drunk?

Just fuck off. No one gives a shit about this game.

Didn't the devs stop being stupid cunts with the goal of ruining every viable strategy at some point ? I played little of the definitive version, but I do recall some positive changes as it neared 1.0. The update they did post-release seemed rife with RNG ass-fucking though.

Game is fine until level 5 dungeons, then it's just pure luck. I still like it though, if only for the art and sound design

If no one cares, then the thread will die and life will go on
God forbid someone make a thread about video games.

It's kickstarter trash with mobile phone tier mechanics and depth. No one with any taste would look twice at it.

The last thing I remember them nerfing was parties of 4 Crusaders spamming Holy Lance.

The recent Town Events update is pretty nice. The effects are usually positive, ranging from minor buffs to free supplies to free resolve levels sometimes.

They've adjusted things a lot, they reduced the grind a bit since 1.0 release, even added an option to recruit heroes that start at higher levels. Being able to exchange heirlooms is handy, and it's less arduous getting heroes up to the Champion level. "Winning" is still another matter but I say the devs did try to balance it out to be less tedious.

Personally I hope they make a sequel that improves on everything because it is still a somewhat flawed game. I enjoy it though.

The recent addition of hamlet being invaded is one of the most ass clenching fights I've ever been in. I lost a whole party of 5's attacking Volfe after goung around town. The salt and rage I felt was overwhelming.

I don't know why but I just keep coming back. Maybe I just like being pounded into the dirt. In any case, the sound design is blissful. The houndmaster's whistle gives me weird pleasures when I use it.

grind/10

can you niggers tell me the last version number? i want to pirate it

To me, every quest is like stepping aboard the world's most dangeorus rollercoaster, wondering "Will someone die this time? Will everyone die?"

I think it helps to enjoy a bit of dark humor in it, especially when everything is really going to shit.

thanks fam

I was there from day 1 and now it's shit.

I was hoping they would treat dungeons like giant puzzle, where each fight was another jigsaw of hooks and stuns.

Now everything pretty much feels too random, zero challenge past level 4 and every fight comes down to spamming Stunning gas, Wyrd healing and praying for crits.

It has both of those. The Lovecraftian struggle being your adventurer's are utterly insignificant, probably are going to come out of a dungeon either insane or dead and your best way of making money is to generally toss new guys in a dungeon for resources and when they come back to the hamlet you give them a pink slip.

The problem is that the hopelessness doesn't make for very good gameplay. The shitty RNGfest being that a hero will still die to RNG and you will set you back a few hours. I've had a few times where my opening fight a key member of the group just get oneshot and doomed the entire expedition. Compounding that with poor gameplay, grinding, poor skill and class balance the game stops becoming a game and more of a chore.

Kneejerk hatred will always be around.

That said its a solid 7-8/10. For specific kinds of people anyway.

What the hell are we allowed to talk about Holla Forums anyway.

Sounds about right. It's a hit-or-miss game. You either get bored or frustrated and quit, or you fall in love with it. It depends on what kind of person you are and what you want to get out of a video game.

This is easy to mod, isn't it?
Aren't there any balance mods?

It doesn't have Steam Workshop support and I don't know if they plan on adding it in the future.

I'm sure someone could cook a mod up somewhere, somehow.

it was far too grindy and tedious for me to play for too long, after a while I got fed up and never started it up again.

Yes it is. Everything is in text files.

pic related, you "sage and report anything I don't like" faggot

on-topic i had my fun with the game but I don't like the direction the devs took it in. when i first got it it was hard but it was doable without having to cheese anything. over time though it felt like the devs just started patching out any legitimate strategies, and adding new bullshit - there was one period of time where the corpses of enemies would automagically move to the frontline and would need to be destroyed

it definitely crossed the line from "really, genuinely hard" to "unfair" for me, and I gave up on it at that point - I like beating a hard game, but DD just started flipping us off and I don't have a lot of patience for that

So this is the power of the steamfaggot generation

Too grindy and repetitive.

Too much RNG for me.

fg

FUCK

NOOOOOOOO

You're not very good at getting repeating integers, are you?

Neither of us are.

This, the game is one step away from rolling a die when you load your game to see what character gets deleted.

Newgrounds-tier Bloodborne knock-off

It's a mobile game with a coat of paint and no microtransations. Fun for a few hours, then gets boring because it has zero depth.

Here's your reply
And your bump

But Darkest Dungeon isn't total shit.

Too grindy and boring.

Who wants to spend all that time making a team then they all die. was lame.

Not really user.

Double D needs a few things to be better. Losing your level 5s is awful, especially to something like swinetaur crits. Unpleasant as fuck really.

The looting system is fucked up and the way that you grind heirlooms is kinda boring.

A lot of build variance is fucked up, some classes are almost auto include. Houndmaster /occultist/crusader/graverobber/hellion/abomination are premier, with most of the high level parties you'll run at least 2 of these characters.

You're almost punished for running characters like the jester and highwayman, who are just outdone, or don't have clear enough roles defined for them.

Fun builds are frowned upon, making most of the runs feel cookie cutter, with the only difference being how stressed the team is because of rng.

The ending sucked.

Your character kills himself because they can't handle the truth. The final boss takes the form of your ancestor, but that makes fuck all sense. I know why they thought it was a good idea, but it wasn't.

One of the things that turned me off is how easy it is to lose a character to a bad string of RNG, but there's no way to speed up leveling. If you could carry characters in higher level groups this would be less of an issue I suppose.

Unless they've updated it since anyways, havent played it since they added the cove.

Do you actually believe Bloodborne was the first game with any lovecraftian influence or are you just completely clueless as to the type of game Darkest Dungeon is?

No where have I even alluded to anything you said. If you cant into English reading comprehension then you need to pic related

BB chalice dungeon are hell of a lot more engaging than this shit with no cultural enrichment to boot.

I really wanted to like this game.

Considering lovecraftian influences are the only thing they have in common, it looks like the answer is "Completely clueless". I also notice you resorted to meming instead of actually defending your point, so you're either baiting or trying to hard to fit in.

kinda agree with user. I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Maybe it's because you're not really saying anything at all.

Yeah, I still remember numerous threads about DD while it was still in beta.
It was not kneejerk though. Hatred came from devs nerfing any viable strategy. I also heard they really did not care about players criticism (I think you can still check DD steam page and browse through some negative comments from people that played ~100 hours, some can explain it in depth).

Darkest dungeon lacks any meaningful depth. Shame, because I really tried to like game. Harder dungeons have some new monsters, but they are just heavier hitters. No new buffs/debuffs to play around, no new sklills/moves. I guess they would require much more work than simply weakening character x.

Solid game. What else can I say? It has the atmosphere to get you engaged, and the difficulty to keep you challenged. It also has the variety, so you can play the game closer how you want to.

Sure it suffered from the "overly popular syndrome" but if it's not a multiplayer game, so that alone can't kill it.

It's one of the games that sometimes makes me think Early Access might not be a completely shit idea. Still not gonna buy a single one before they get a proper release.