PS3 thread

Just got a PS3 4free, the catch is that its broken
Basically here's what's wrong;
I tried the following;
Please tell me its an easy fix its probably not I just wanted to pirate Red Dead Redemption

Do we look like your tech support? Fuck off.

put it in the oven to remelt the stuff that connects pins

google it and if all else fails do this

Hey, could you go back to 4chan? Thanks.

This isn't a ps3 thread, it's a thread asking for help. Take this advice and fuck off please.

all I can think of is perhaps trying component or composite output. If you get a picture there, your issue is simply the HDMI socket which can probably be replaced with some soldering. If there's still no picture, it's a different issue likely with it's motherboard.

If that happens post here with sage in your email field and I'll see if I can help. otherwise fuck off

wow you guys sure know a lot of things

Have you tried throwing it away?

If the warranty sticker has been removed, it more than likely has been "repaired" before and probably more than once.
It can't hurt to try a cooking it yourself, but if it only lasts a few days or weeks then there's no point trying again.

Also google "ps3 ihs removal".

the hell is your problem autismo

…But yeah, i forgot to say. If you got a warranty sticker on there, you'll have better luck.

Sure OP, I would love to help fix your shit console for free. Oh wait, I actually wouldn't. Have a free sage instead.

You need to resolder the GPU/CPU, but you need a special machine that creates an infrared laser to heat it up and allow you to work on it.

Some shops may be able to offer you this service, but if not your best bet would be online.

Use google.
Everyone is being butthurt little fags today.

OP here
I made this thread last night and went to be after it sank to page 4 with no replies and a single bump

Holy shit what the fuck happened while I was gone?

anyways I took it apart and now its in pieces everywhere, the thermal paste over the RSX was really dry and there was no proper compression against the heat sink, which had come loose

I plan on reapplying thermal paste to the IHS' and maybe putting everything in a PC case just so the components are easier to access for future repair, while I have everything opened up though what do I need to know about getting Homebrew on this thing?

*went to bed

Can you really reflow solder by doing this?

Yes, but it's usually a temporary fix, and if you don't do it right you'll melt components or pop capacitors.

No is not

Okay, I've always heard it's dubious but I also have a Wii motherboard that suffers from graphical artifacts due to suffering GPU damage from heat caused by overuse of the WiiConnect24 standby mode and the heat caused by it and I've read the way to fix that is reflowing. And compared to getting it repaired professionally and either replacing the board itself and just throwing it into an oven the oven is clearly the cheapest. Regardless if ovening it breaks it I would have to get a replacement anyways.

Good, if "reflowing" is the only option then do it, just be aware, you are not melting any solder

there are people who get an extra 6 months of their graphics card by doing a "reflow" but there are a bunch of moros that kill a perfectly working board by reflowing it

Look, it could be any number of problems with your shit. Maybe the motherboard is irreparably damaged. Maybe your RSX processor is fucked. Maybe the solder is going bad. Maybe the motherfucker was thrown into boiling water. How the fuck can you expect anyone to provide you solutions when we don't even have a proper diagnosis? Here's what you do:
If this shit doesn't work, try using RGB cable instead of HDMI. It's worse quality, but at least you'll be able to play. If none of this shit works, then you're fucked. You can try to bake the motherboard, but it's risky and won't guarantee shit. You can take your console to a local repair shop and ask them if they'll take a look at it.

Well it's not like Wii system boards are expensive either. $20 for most of them. But I also have no way of knowing if those boards have no problems with them like the artifacts problem.

When you say you got a PS3, what model we talking here? Fat, slim or super slim?
If it's a fat, you're probably shit out of luck at this point as that fucker will have been put through the ringer several times over.
As for the slim and super slim; you can probably get one of those for dirt cheap at this point on ebay, so it begs the question, if you're going to pirate shit anyway, just pay for the system pre owned.
Also you might have more luck with the 360 MS have dropped that like a hot turd whereas Sony is still making PS3s.

OP back, I put the RF sheilding, Power Supply, and disk drive back onto the motherboard, as of right now everything is still out of the case but its all plugging into the board.etc, the only thing I do not have plugged in is the wifi module at the moment

Basically I wiped off the old thermal paste and applied a new layer while making sure everything was securely fastened.etc

How the fuck does the touch sensor work? I have it plugged in, PS3 in wall, I tap on the board and nothing happens, it turned back on by some fluke accident and like an idiot I turned it back off from the switch. fuck!

Its a phat PS3, I don't want to buy anything I don't need, if this PS3 is permafucked then fuck it I'm too poor,

How easy is it to hack 360s nowadays anyhow?

You're probably shit out of luck then, despite the "10 year plan" the PS3 phat wasn't designed to last. I had to have mine replaced 4 or 5 times and the one I have now is on its way out. Ironically they had the same issues as the original models 360s overheating.
Well it was hacked before PS3 was, presumably it's just as easy if not easier now. I'm not sure of the exact process as I never hacked mine.

the thermal paste they apply is shit, you can open yours and reapply thermal paste since its likely dried and crusty.

its only temporary fix, and you could probably melt the plastic so i wouldn't do this.

I was going to do that but I found a PS4 last summer for £100 so I thought "fuck it, why not".
I still have the PS3 in my cupboard so I might give it a crack and see if it sorts it out, but considering the noise it was putting out last time I used it, I'm guessing it might be a lost cause.

I dont know why even bother, the ps3 is shit.

All these fucking babies so pissy over losing one thread in the catalog to something they don't want; when it's on-topic and not shitposting.

I can't wait until this place is as cucked as halfchan was, the community here is just begging for it, it will be such a sweet demise.

It's a PS3 phat, it can play PS1 and PS2 games.
Not like I've kept any of the PS3 games

You can install yellowdog Linux on the ps3 fat.

There were a few of the Linux distros you could install on it weren't there, or was it only yellowdog? Well, at least until Sony patched that function out, the faggots.