THE RED TRUNKS ARE BACK

THE RED TRUNKS ARE BACK

THE SUPER-LOINS ARE CRIMSON ONCE MORE.

Superman has his trunks. All's right with the world.

I wonder if Jon wears red undies

I hope not. It's pretty cute that Jon just wears jeans and a hoodie from a thrift shop.If he gets a legit costume I'll be a bit disappointed.

Hallelujah

Give Batman back his trunks and then we'll call it even.

And it only took them how many years to realise that you don't fuck with Superman's costume?

Finally. I don't know what made them change it in the first place. If it's not broke, why try and fix it?

Now hopefully this is his design going forward instead of just for the one issue.

Now bring back the mullet too.

Same reason Marvel does it. To reinvent the wheel and appeal to modern sensibilities by taking out anything that's perceived as "old fashioned".

They could probably get away with just darkening Batman's costume, especially since the Bat symbol's got a yellow outline around it now. It would be like a modern version of the suits he wore post-KnightSaga and post-Return of Bruce Wayne

I'm surprised how much I like that all-black Batman costume, to be honest. It highlights the yellow oval and belt really nicely.

Who cares? Ditching the trunks was one of the few good changes they've ever made. In any case it's such a small change.

Here's the thing, though. Superman's had an iconic design for years, and for a lot of people when they think of Superman, that's the design that they think of. At least with Batman, his costume has changed several times over the course of his history, and it makes sense for it to. Batman builds all of his equipment, updates all of his gadgets. It makes sense his costume would change as he designs and updates it for different utility.

Superman? He has no reason to change his costume because it's not for utility, it's made to be a symbol. It's part of the character, and if you change the outfit, it changes that symbol. A lot of times for the worse.

Confirmed for shit taste

Superman isn't like Batman. Making his costume one-piece and one solid colour never worked for him because without the trunks to break up the blue his costume looks like shit. They tried giving him a red belt, and then giving him increasingly bigger red belts and it still looked like shit. Eliminating the trunks never worked for Superman.

You need to go back to whatever hell hole you climbed out of.

this

If Superman doesn't wear trunks everybody will see his junk. If he wears them under his tights he'll have panty lines. If he wears normal pants they'll fly off at high speeds. THE TRUNKS ARE PRACTICAL.
But they should have let Frank Quitely remove the little yellow triangle from the S so it looks more like an alien glyph than a big S in an old font.

this

and this. Here's another example of how the "all-black" costume works nicely in comics.

Either way, blue batman fucking sucks.

That makes me wonder if there are any superheroes out there with pantylines when wearing their costumes.

Superman also had costume changes. What, you think he always had the yellow belt? Or the golden S on his back? Or a long cape? Or that exact shape of the S symbol on his chest instead of it originally being a triangle? Batman is the same, his costume has had very minor cosmetic changes over time whilst keeping the trunks, outside of movies and even then people bitched about it back when Burton first did it.

There is nothing "iconic" about the costume. It has an "S" symbol on it? That'll fucking do. The granny panties design sucks shit but because of idiot fanboys, they have to stay and Superman is never allowed to progress because a) fans will whinge about it till kingdom come and b) DC will just end up deliberately sabotaging it so badly that even those who wanted change will beg for this shit back.

Man of Steel, for all its numerous flaws, had the perfect design. Yellow and silver around the waist to break up the blue. Done. Use it in the fucking comics instead of those retarded designs with the pure red belt which just makes the red unpleasantly stand out.

Ah, I see somebody else is a fan of "Mono Color Stiff Moulded Plastic Abbs Leather" with no proper color balance.
And they said that my sudden love of the costume was caused by brain hemorrhage! Well we proved them wrong eh user?

People may buy that our character has radioactive powers, or is from another planet, but a colorful spandex costume? Are you CRAZY? No audience will accept that!
No its one color head to toe Leather for our hero!

It IS just a big S, though: It stands for "Superman". Why would Superman be going around with an alien glyph on his chest?

They could be waring long johns, long thermal underwear, or compression shorts/boxer briefs with minimal seams. That way there would be pretty much nothing popping through.

I felt the black underwear could be used to justify a sports cup or something. It would make sense he want's gear to protect his junk maybe the underwear could cover the cup?

I honestly think anyone who unironically likes the non-briefs design because they're more 'modern' probably doesn't like capeshit to begin with if they can't suspend their disbelief and want to dilute it that bad.

Like I'm no caoefag fag. My interest in comics is passing.

But the Undies are a good color balance. They center the character and YES tie him to his roots as a strongman and what worked in the past in defining body parts works now as well.

It's good character design. Red and Blue look fantastic, and the lower body gives good centering to the top part of his body.

Like even if I hated the undies MOS looks dreadful. It looks like a guy in a fake Halloween costume.

Pre-Crisis the S came to Johnathan Kent in a dream, and was on a sword that Superman found floating in space.
Post-Crisis it's usually the El family crest. It just happens to look like an S, so Lois Lane came up with "Superman". I dunno, maybe she's a Nietzschean. Or more likely a fucking Randroid.

Since when was Lois into Rand?

You are exactly the kind of idiot fanboy I was talking about. Relish in the knowledge that Superman's franchise will continue to die a slow death because of fags like you.

And you too.

Honestly Id be happy. Superman has had a great run and dying on a high note would be great.
Its people like you that would burn everything Superman is so that he can live as some kind of malformed abomination.
Guess what: if Superman has to become a boring, angsty super serial asshole to be popular then id rather he was not popular. He has hundreds of issues to his name. Id say thats enough of a Backlog.
You completely prove the point that your somebody who never was interested in the character in the first place.

Like are you serious the MOS Design? Like this ugly one piece lump of plastic with moulded on abs? The actor feels like he's wearing a Halloween suit! Like even If I wanted a no pants redesign, a fucking leather onesie? That makes the actors head look big because the leather is so tight over his body? With this weird design with his pants being pulled up all the way to his waist like some kind of grandpa overalls?

There was this

I really don't know where to start with the abject stupidity of your entire comment…

If Lois was really a Randroid she'd be running away with Lex Luthor to exterminate the lower and middle classes so she and her Captain Of Industry husbandu could live happily ever after.

He hasn't had a great run since 1986 killed any good aspects of his character and even then he wasn't perfect.

Oh, you mean trying to move his character forward with new, fun ideas and trying to make him live up to his potential as a character? Truly, how horribly selfish of me. Why, I must be another Snyderite! It's not possible for me to loathe both vanilla Superman and Snyderman!

You know, I was kind of joking with the "idiot fanboy whinging about anything and everything" comment at first but man, you just had to go out of your fucking way to prove me right on it.

Yes because you clearly have no comeback to it if your best retort is that it's leather molded to Cavill's body. Well no shit, that's how most superhero costumes are when translated to live action. Yet the visual design of it still looks fantastic and much better than any alternative to the granny panties that DC has managed to shit out since the New 52 abandoned them.

No, there isn't. All it needs is an S symbol, just like all Batman's costume needs is a bat symbol and pointy ears.

Apparently the first-ever look at Action Comics #1000. It's by Clay Mann, who's drawing Tom King's story there.

And let's hope he keeps them from now on. That red has always provided an important contrast to all the blue you see from the front and prevents his loins from looking too flat.

The alien glyph meme was always a bit forced tbh. Surely Clark Kent is imaginative enough to feasibly come up with the S by himself.

I swear I've been made dumber just by reading your posts

Its like saying my best retort is that I say its bad to rub shit in your eyes. Yes, that IS my retort! Yeah, I can't have a further conversation about this because your taste is so fucking shit I just can't find better insulting terms for it!

Its kinda shit taste bedrock. I can't find much else to compare it too. Maybe liking Haley Barry Catwoman?

It's also stupid and pretentious. Like anyone watching a fucking film or reading a fucking comic is going to buy that a big S on Superman's chest stands for anything other than "Super".

The "S stands for Hope" shit is the same as the removal of the bright red trunks. It's insecure fanboys trying to get people to take their superhero comics seriously, and looking even more insecure in the process.

I don't mind the alien glyph shit. Unlike removing the red trunks, it doesn't spoil the character in any appreciable way.
Having said that, I would normally hate contrived over-explanations for simple shit. Like Conan being really strong because he pushed a big wheel around for years. Or Indiana Jones wearing fedoras, using a whip and having Harrison Ford's distinctive facial scar because of that one time he went up against a bandit as a kid.
But I don't think the alien glyph is quite in the same league

I feel the exact opposite. I didn't mind losing the trunks, but turning the "S for Superman" into "alien glyph that coincidentally looks just like an English letter" struck me as forced and stupid.

I don't get its point narrative-wise. Superman is a very earthy character. Having his S stand for some alien bullshit is like if Captain America said:
"Oh my stars and stripes stand for an Ancient Greek Code relating to physical perfection"

I mean in MOS it worked because Superman is a unlikable alien menace, but Im not sure that was what they where going for. Insecurity about a big bright S on a character's chest I guess.

MOS did it because they did it in the comics. The comics did it because the Donner movie did it. The Donner movie did it because Marlon Brando wanted to wear the 'S' and Marlon Brando got what he wanted. In the Island of Dr Moreau one scene has Marlon Brando wearing a champagne bucket on his head because the film crew were too scared to tell him to take it off.
But Captain America has absolutely nothing to do with Ancient Greece and the stars and stripes are closely and almost uniquely identified with America.

Superman's 'S' shield is an 'S' but it's also a shield. Shields go on coat of arms. If you're going to put a coat of arms in Superman's backstory, it makes more sense for it to come from his Kryptonian side than from his Kansas farmer Earth parent side.

Yes, that's my point.

Ah just like Booster Golds Shield or Batmans Coat of Arms or Captain Atoms Coat of Arms.
Or maybe it isn't a fucking coat of arms or a Shield but a Symbol that superheroes commonly have.
There is no fucking coat of arms in supermans backstory until they made it that way. In fact, an S is overall really Humble overall. Its a simple Symbol for a Kansas Farmer from earth that became famous because of how dedicated Superman was.

Yeah, fuck the fact that he married Lois Lane and fathered a son, he hasn't progressed at all. The only way for him to progress as a character is to strip his costume down gradually until he's wearing nothing but a blue onesie with an S on the chest. Seriously, are you fucking retarded?

Yep, you're fucking retarded.

Yeah, the yellow and silver that doesn't fucking exist except for a tiny dark yellow dot on his belt buckle.

Yeah, you fucking are. Superman doesn't need to be made incompetent, or an angry asshole or anything else. He doesn't need to be deconstructed, if anything he needs to be reconstructed, but you people either want him to be Batman or inferior to Batman.

Oh yeah because "GRANNY PANTIES GUYS" is such a top tier argument.

Yeah, I love me some of that over-textured ribbed-for-her-pleasure cuffs, chainmail beltless skinsuit. You either have brain damage or you're shitposting.

The star and stripes are Satanic symbols.

My point was that the Ancient Greece comment was a complete non-sequitur.
I dunno know enough about Booster Gold or Captain Atom to make judgment, but Superman's shield being a family crest in addition to an 'S' is no less contrived than Batman choosing to dress up like a bat not just because a bat flew in his window once, but because he's afraid of bats and his dad dressed up like a bat once for a fancy dress party and this Indian shaman told him this story of this giant bat once and he actually wore the pelt of giant bat sometime in pre-history and shit

This is funny because the stars-and-stripes imagery on Wonder Woman's costume/ceremonial garb were given a similarly contrived post-Crisis explanation: It's a way of honoring the flag of some WW2 pilot who crash-landed on Themyscira and died helping the Amazons fight off some threat. Said pilot happened to be Steve Trevor's mother. This also explains why the Amazons are in possession of a functioning semi-automatic pistol they use to test Diana's reflexes before she leaves. Comic books, man.

Yes, fuck that since he's been married to Lois for over two decades and had several "son/daughter" storylines vastly more interesting than Jon that never stuck because readers prefer a vanilla, naive shotabait to someone with an actual personality. And his character had fundamentally not changed in that time except for maybe becoming more of a doormat for Lois every now and then and in the case of Rebirth, everyone except Jurgens ignoring him in favor of his boring-ass family.

Oh, so you're blind too? Well then, let me show you how it looks when actually DRAWN and with a bit of color thrown in and not under the effect of dreary color filters and shitty lighting.

So by wanting Superman to be smart, powerful, skilled, not get jobbed for shitty reasons, not need his own supporting cast to save his ass every five minutes, expand beyond Metropolis, show how awesome he is, not get talked down by and play second-fiddle to everyone from Batman to Lex Luthor, be a bit more wise, I actually hate the character and want to deconstruct and turn him into an asshole. You just keep on validating everything I said with your kneejerk reactions which prove that you haven't bothered to understand a single thing I wrote. I'm pretty sure I love the character more than you, considering I'm not the one that wants him to stagnate because of my stubborn idiocy.

It is. They look fucking retarded. They've always looked fucking retarded but while every other superhero/superheroine's fanbase is OK with well-designed costume changes, Superman's fanbase is the only one that raises a shitfit over the slightest change to it for absolutely no reason. New 52 design sucked because it was a shitty, ugly costume not because it dared to try and change Superman's outfit.

No, it just proves that you are a fucking retard who is fully aware that the reason the costume looks flawed in live-action is because it is in live-action and when drawn, the actual visual design is quite good - see .

Siegel and Schuster forgot more about good design than anyone complaining that his trunks look silly and outdated will ever know

You're the fucking retard who doesn't realise the costume looks exactly the fucking same, live-action or drawn. It's a flat, dull blue bodysuit with just a thin sliver of belt (if it can even be called that) to do a poor job of breaking up its flat dullness

I preferred WW's costume being meant as a sign of respect to the U.S. since she was an ambassador to America. That and I guess the Amazon's aren't that stuffy on revealing outfits I guess.

It's not terrible but it's not Superman (Even ignoring his facial redesign). It looks generic. Its Generic tech man in a generic tech suit.

Your argument is you hate superman. You want Superman to not be superman and then he will be good superman.

So does this mean Earth 11 Superman's going to wear the red briefs again too?

I wouldn't say that was contrived. It does a perfect job of explaining why Wonder Woman, an Amazonian woman who had never set foot in America prior to her becoming a super hero, would wear star spangled panties, a representation of the American flag

I dunno, I'm indifferent to Cavill's costume and I can't really say that it doesn't scream "Superman" to me. It has the "S", he's not wearing a mask and its got red, blue and yellow in balanced amounts. IMO, that's about all you need.

That body figure…..hot damn!

But it doesn't. It's more blue than anything else.

I'm guessing he meant actual undies there.

Perhaps? Last I checked on Earth 11 Aquawoman declared war on the surface so Batwoman had to mutate herself just to kill Aquawoman and lead an army of human fish hybrids to destroy the thread of atlantis. Later she would team up with that smiling Batman in Batman the Metal storyline.

Thats Earth -11, part of the dark multiverse. Its a counterpart to the actual Earth 11.

Stopped there. No, fuck them, they've gotten away with enough al-fucking-goddam-ready.

Give Batman his black tights back and STOP FUCKING UP MY COMICS GODDAMIT!

The two blues are clashing; that along with the red and yellow makes it look like a clown suit tbh.

God, shut the fuck up already gramps.

You're both idiotic shitposters.

The briefs just work as a design. The only reason ever to remove them is that you feel embarrassed by the jokes about super heroes wearing their underwear on the outside. Well, get over it. Embrace it if you have to. Super heroes are always going to be inherently silly on some level anyway.

That's really my problem these days. It seems like there's this shame surrounding superheroes and it's causing us to strip them down and turn them into something they're not. We've spent so much time deconstructing them, but like you said, superheroes are inherently silly on some level. They should be embraced and reconstructed.

The briefs coming back are the first time in a long time that Superman's looked 'right' to me

Ah ok then. I thought that was regular Earth 11. Thanks for the explanation.

I thought that shame was mostly during the 2000's and mid 10's?

The red really helps break up the blue.

Agreed. I always felt the best strength to Superman's design was the simplicity of the design.

This.

Honestly kill yourself

Don't 'This' your own posts

Truth right here.

The colors are just well portioned.

The shame will persist until the writers stop trying to fight what Superheroes are in an attempt to be "deep" and recognize that it's okay to be silly.

Its not like it can't be done, the people they hire are hacks.

lol

It's supposed to look like superman as a person, not a costume

I know this is a weeks old post, but SOMEONE has to tell you that youre hopelessly retarded so it might as well be me

That movie was fucking dumb and ruined Conan as a character forever anyway. Conans most important trait was his Agility and cunning not being a retard strength simpleton

Took fucking long enough. No matter what those fucks did, Supes and Batman always look naked without their overshorts.

No matter how badly he's treated in comics, movies, and television, I'll never stop loving Batman.

That's a pretty cool circus unitard you got there, dad.

Well, I'm gonna go read some awesome manga. See ya!

~American Youth

Youth of any country are fucking retarded by default.

Yeah..and guess who super hero comics are meant for?

Superman was always supposed to be a kind of working class hero. That's why he doesn't wear gloves (he gets his hands dirty). Make his suit too techy, and it just doesn't work anymore.

Never knew that. That's an interesting aspect. What do you think of the early New 52 stuff where Grant Morrison tried to play up the working man hero aspect by having him just wear a t shirt with the Superman symbol, jeans and a cape?

your taste is shit and your sage is shit

but breh, they took that line out of the movie

I do like that design, but I think it has to be temporary. You can't have him wearing jeans forever.

Never figured out why Luthor didn't just wait until Supes stopped a car from hitting a child. It would be simple for him to buy the car and have the bumper or grille dusted for prints. Kent has no doubt had his prints taken over the years for one reason or another.

Have you ever had your prints taken?

You doubt the super dickery.

At least in the John Byrne era, Superman had a force field over his skin that stopped him from leaving prints.

Man I love Silver Age Superman.

Is the force field what allowed him to fly as well?

I'm a little hazy on the details. John Byrne came up with a bunch of pseudo-scientific bullshit to replace all the pre-crisis pseudo-scientific bullshit.

Is Luthor really that interested in what Superman does for a day job, or does he want to prove that humanity can defeat the alien?

If you lived in Superman's world, would the idea that Superman has a secret identity even cross your mind? If you saw Superman chase off a planet sized space dragon, could you even fathom him spending the day at a desk job? Even Luthor, with all of his genius, would dismiss the notion as absurd. The most powerful being on earth content with writing fluff pieces about watersking squirrels and reviewing cannolis?

I think Superman's secret identity would be rock solid safe even if his disguise is just a pair of glasses. The sheer disbelief that Superman would be lowly reporter Clark Kent is more than enough to protect him.

There was a Byrne story just like this. Basically (I forget the reason) but Luthor had a computer objectively analyse all the data out there on Clark Kent and Superman and the computer came to the completely objective conclusion that Clark Kent is Superman. Luthor completely dismissed it and figured the computer must be broken or something

Thanks

Superman vol 2 issue 2

A shame. Amanda was pretty hot

She still is, fam.

That bottom panel would make a great reaction image.

Yes. Bryne came up with the idea that Superman's powers were actually what he called "tactile telekinesis." The idea was that Supes actually had telepathic powers, but was unaware of it and it only manifested as directly physical powers. It was used to explain him lifting heavy as fuck objects without breaking them inhalf/tearing through them, his ice breath and laser beams, and even to explain him not being figured out as Clark Kent. Because he genuinely believed that no one would recognize him as Clark, he created a minor telepathy field that convinced people they weren't seeing Superman when he had his glasses on.
Basically, his explanation was that Kyptonians are actually Orks.

Byrne didn't invent tactile telekinesis and Post-Crisis Superman doesn't have it. He does have a low-level force-field around his body, which was to explain why Superman's costume never tears despite being made of ordinary fabric.

It's Superboy that exhibits tactile telekinesis and that's because he's an imperfect clone

Pre-crisis Supes stored solar energy in his molecular bonds, making him physically invulnerable. He could be cut when his powers were turned off by red sunlight, but healed instantly back under a yellow sun.
Post-crisis, he stored it in his cells, powering his force field, also he had nearly 100% efficiency turning food into energy. He still had to breathe, though.

So Superman never takes a shit?

I'd hate to see the kind of shit you take after eating a salt shaker.

Sounds like it completely misses the fucking point.

What's Byrne's explanation for Superman's crotch looking pure black like an event horizon?

that's your opinion bruh

my opinion is also that you're a fag

my opinion is that you seem upset

With the character of clark, honestly?
The trunks work. Clark should be that innocent kid who made his own costume, never a knight with high tech gear

I want to see that now

There was the Super Clark storyline.

Shame Bendis is going to fuck everything up