Why did Fallout 3 suck so hard?

What went wrong? How did Bethesda go from making Morrowind then the slightly sort of ok Oblivion to making Fallout 3 and ruining a franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/hbomberguy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

TL;DR, They pursued the Console audience, and abandoned their PC audience.

Well pandering to consoles kinda fucked them.

If it where only the console bullshit.

Bethesda can't write a story for shit, last thing they wrote that worth salt was morrowind, but that was likeā€¦12-14 years ago?

Fallout 3 was better than Oblivion in every possible way. But do keep up your bethesda hatred self-validation cult.

fallout 3 was shit, but the annoying faggot talking in the video is fucking retarded.

Mark Nelson and Michael Kirkbride left during/after Oblivion.

5 min max to tell me why a game is shit fam

kys

Absurdly in-depth analyses on why a game is shit are so entertaining to watch and get comfy with, though.

can you give me the time when he shows stalker?

I want to laugh, but I don't want to watch this garbage

I don't know. It crashed to desktop, corrupted my save and I never looked back again.

He also refers to how Stalker has a lot of quests that don't use arrows. The arrows make sense when they're used since they lead to NPcs who you're tracking via ingame PDAs.

You're either shilling yourself, or a redditor. Fuck off.

btw is oblivion worth playing again (recommend mods)? i can remember the main quest so i dont want to do that but id like to explore the world more if its worth it, not sure if it still stands up

for the record i would be playing an elven ranger

pretty much every vanilla quest uses arrows besides "bring me this artifact or this hoof" it's the mod quests that don't have pointers. I know when I had to search whole of pripyat for a box of canned food. good times.

thanks bethes-shill

I don't need some bitch nigga to ramble on about an already established fact. Fuck off, faggot.

Writing is 100% worse than the dirt a dog shit on and the world is a theme park. Exploration, especially underground was fun and rewarding because it's atmospheric and they stuffed shit in practically every nook and cranny. Gunplay was basically functional, melee was garbage but really OP for some reason. Role-playability was shit, perks were mostly poor, skills were okay. It's retarded easy to amass gear, money, and medicine, but ammo is annoyingly difficult to track down.

Overall I'd give it a 4/10 and New Vegas is superior in practically every way.

If you played Fallout 3 on release, you would've liked it for what it was, and considering how there were very few games at the time that allowed you to have fun roaming around in a nuclear wasteland, you might've even enjoyed it. It was only when New Vegas came along that it was made apparent how much better 3 could have been if it was left in capable hands. Now there's tons of better alternatives to play, so obviously in hindsight 3 doesn't look good at all, but calling it trash and garbage is just silly. If anything, you can just be grateful it was a stepping stone that paved the way for New Vegas.

And as an off-topic, why do people even watch that sort of videos, where it's just a guy spouting his opinions. You can't argue with them, if they say something you don't agree with you can't proceed in a back-and-forth conversation; likewise if you agree on something, why would you care, it's a bloody recording of someone you've never known. My closest suspicion is that it's the same reason people watch let's plays, so they feel like they have friends, but I could be wrong.

half sage

How does it fell knowing I had better taste than you when I was 11?

22:53 for his arrow retardation
17:48 if you want to see him try to snipe bandits with the vanilla starting pistol

Whens the last time you played stalker? SoC at least, which is the one he's showing. Even fetch quests have arrows. The only time I can remember there being no arrow was when the arrow pointed to the wrong spot. A duty guy in the bar wants you to get his rifle he lost in dark valley which a bandit picked up that can be anywhere in 4 maps (one of them being an underground area you go to like twice).

No.

Here's an easier way to sum things up
Bethesda went for Width instead of Depth.

They wanted to put as much shit as possible in and ended up with a shallow, dull, repetitive game with only a few moments in the entire experience that let you even get your ankles wet.

This.
If you don't care, why would the developers?

Why did casuals even like FO3?
The weapon mechanics feel like garbage.

Marketing

Map design was shit just like 4

The engine is a piece of shit that needs loadings for interiors and cant do decent animations

And it was literally written by retards

It was the first game in a long time that simply gave them a big fucking world that didn't punish them very hard, and for the most part let them fuck off in whatever direction, kill whatever, and generally have as sans-consequence time as they wanted.

In other words, it was more of a sandbox game than they had ever experienced, seeing as most of them had never seen GTA.

GUYS

What are some channels that do really long videos about in-depth video game analyses?
Or even just a video or two I can watch tonight. I wanna get comfy.

Try anything of Dark Mod.
Anything no commentary and high level means minimal "noise" and maximum comfy.

So here, have one of my shitty videos.
Enjoy.

It was shit even when it came out.

And so is NV, just slightly less shit. Not even Obsidian could fix gamebryo

Pannenkoek for SM64, TheZZAZZGlitch for gen 1 Pokemon. They take "in depth" to insane levels, and are pretty comfy.
For looking at older games in general try Game Sack. They don't go into too much detail but they have lots of cool information. Here's a 30 hour review of the Gameboy.

Minute, not hour. Fuck.

Really, I just feel like being talked at for the next six or so hours. I don't even feel like watching gameplay, I just feel like listening to something with some video playing.

Thanks bro. Appreciate it.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Matthewmatosis.

- Dumb Obsidrone

Enjoy him enough to already have seen every video of his.

twitter.com/hbomberguy

Fag detected

pls put effort into it next time

Stop lying to yourself, Oblivion was never good

fuck off

They did the level design right, but some of the quests were boring and the level scaling sucked. It got some unique quests though, like the Tenpenny Tower, one of my favorite quests in all Fallout games.

But still, if they got rid of the level scaling, the game would be a million times better. Everything else was decent. The writing wasn't elaborate but at least it's straight to the point, and at least the voice acting was okay.

Stopped reading there.

This guy comes off as a contrarian fag.

Tenpenny Tower is only interesting if you are playing a "good" character. If you're playing an evil character, a mercenary, or have an Int score over average - you're just clearing out some zombies and picking up a paycheck.

It's worse.

How was fallout 3's writing worse than F1 and F2?

Oh boy, and it gets even worse.

They just put more effort in writing the dialogs, that's all.

The thing about Bethesda games after Morrowind is that there definitely are some genuinely good moments in their games. Some things are cool, some ideas are neat, some characters are interesting. The engine, the game design, and everything else that the few good moments are built on though causes it all to collapse into a pile of wasted potential and halfassed ideas.

Going into simulations, Tenpenny Tower, the Republic of Dave, hopping into paintings in Oblivion, and other moments are good, but they don't even make up a small chunk of the game's overall content.

He is a contrarian faggot, but he's not wrong about Fallout 3.

Rest of his videos are shit, but his Fallout video is a diamond in the heap.

Except fallout 3 was a really great game you little faggots.

Do any of you even play games or do you just circlejerk all day about how much you hate everything from Holla Forums's list of unapproved games?

low effort tbh fam

He's not a contrarian faggot, he's an SJW goon, it's just that his opinion of FO3 happens to be right in an extremely autistic feature-film-length way.

The faggot has a huge hateboner for goymergays and retweets pedobutts, if Patreon didn't hide who's donating to whom now I bet we'd see he's donating to a bunch of SJW hipsters.

He's basically a Jim Sterling with a less broad reach.

A guy who spouts what his audience wants to hear without believing a single word of it?

It depends on what you mean by garbage. fo3 brought a bunch of people into the series but it also shitted on everyone who loved the fallout games before 3 was even announced. Tons of post millennials or whatever the fuck they're called loves fo3, and they are old enough to feel nostalgic about it.

You need to be 18 or older to post here.

Jumbo believes what he says, he always does the same two things: shitting on publishers and regurgitating SJW bullshit. Oh, more recently he picked fights with a few indie devs too, but it was either over slimy shenanigans or SJW bullshit.

Now that I think about it, yeah, basically. He's an SJW fucktard, but just like Jim being right about Early Access, this guy's right about Fallout 3. You don't have to agree with someone on everything. Ignore his other trash and focus on Fallout.

Yeah but you also don't promote his channel.

What's with that logic, it's like saying Hitler wasn't a monster because he also loved animals

I expect better from you user.

Hitler was a fag, not a monster. INFJ to the core.

Yeah, i loved the never ending metro tunnels, "massive" (in gamebryo's standards) towns without any sources of food or water, and the green/brown/gray wasteland that looked like the bombs dropped yesterday after several hundred years.

Read a book homo

Do you not understand how the scientific community works?
Absolutely everything is based upon somebody else's work

No, I mean the dungeon design. They know where to put the corridors and the halls. They know when to put linear paths and hidden places. They're very enjoyable for exploration and path finding but not very confusing. It reminds me of Doom 1's level design.

Sure, the tunnels are repetitive, but I'd rather walk through 50 same looking tunnels instead of wandering aimlessly in Vault 34 and all the other horrendously designed dungeons in New Vegas.

Whos mark nelson?

You take this too far sometimes.

I just watched the full thing.
I need to play Fallout 1 now.

He doesn't even mention it. Watch it before criticising it.

I got at least a bit of enjoyment while playing though it. It was okay, but nowhere near as incredible or revolutionary as almost everyone says it is. It's overhyped and adequate at best. I had a little more fun with Oblivion.

He does in his other videos, and he's clearly a fag.

I'm not finding any anaylsis or commentary video from him. Only glitches and hacks.

So I watch the video in the OP and love it, only to come back to the thread and see this. I should have seen it coming when he whined about capitalism making Bethesda give FO3 a shit ending and then undo it in the DLC, but still it's disappointing.

At least he doesn't support a known pedophile.
fuck

Put lots of points into luck and smallguns and you can almost count on getting crits its great.

Fo3's a pretty good game. Not as good as the other Fallouts, granted, and it does rape the lore, but the hate for the game is largely inflated.

I forgot how fucking ugly fallout 3 was. I told someone stalker had dated graphics without mods (which is entirely because of the fullbright orthographic weapon view models) and now I'm seeing fallout 3 again. How do people stand for this level of uglyness?

Fuck you whore!

I'll get those olives and there's nothing you an do to stop me!