What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

dualshockers.com/2015/12/22/former-luminous-engine-lead-explains-why-square-enix-is-using-it-only-for-final-fantasy-xv-for-now/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You answered your own question.

I hear the reason they ditched this engine they've been building for years and spending so much money on is because it can't render indoor shadows.

gonna need some sauce, daddy.

Unreal opened shop in Japan, looks like a lot of Japanese devs have switched over to it. In the case of SE, both FF7 remake and KH3 are running on it. Ditching Luminous Engine does seem like a waste though.

Oh, wow are you serious? Source?

Gotta love threads where the first reply is the right reply.

Don't quote me on this, since this is just something I've heard on earlier threads discussing FFXV. It's more likely that the engine isn't as flexible or efficient for developing other games, despite how much money was used to make it.

Wait, they ditch luminous engine? I thought they used it to make FFXV and FFXIV:ARR

You guys are fucking retard and make me google it. They still use the engine you dumbass, Panta Rhei on the other hand still in development hell, I think Capcom might secretly abandon the project since we havent heard anything about for almost 2 years

FFXIV:ARR uses Crystal Tools, the FFXIII engine. FFXV seems to be the only Squeenix game that will use the Luminous Engine since KH3 was moved to UE4 and FF7 Remake uses UE4. You do not just spend millions on an engine and just have it support only one game. Even SEGA's Hedgehog Engine supported about 3-4 games.

We know it's still being used, but the problem is that it's only being used for FFXV. Sqeenix obviously made it with the intent to have continuous support for future projects, but this isn't happening. The age of Japanese devs shoveling money into engines that won't see continuous support is ending because of rising costs. It looks like Squeenix is learning this the hard way.

Simple google give me this article
dualshockers.com/2015/12/22/former-luminous-engine-lead-explains-why-square-enix-is-using-it-only-for-final-fantasy-xv-for-now/

In a way, he is right.

It was an engine for cinematics

After Final Fag XIII was panned the asian jews were afraid to take next step on the casual ladder

makes employee retention more of an issue, implementation of contracted work more difficult, have to deal with workarounds and bugs specific to that engine that create more wasted employee time rather than them dealing with the bugs they're more familiar with

That can´t be true, judging it by the demo they released. Embed related.

This. It is too costly to maintain a developer team tweaking an engine, and japanese developers are increasingly reluctant to compete in the AAA market.

The previous message didn´t include the picture.

Why not test the engine on a smaller scale game or less popular IP before having one of the most anticipated games in one of the most popular series run it? Ground Zeroes was much smaller in scale compared to The Phantom Pain.

FFXIV use crystal tools, ARR use an early version of luminous engine

And another one, this one is from the playable demo. I really don´t see what is the problem with the indoor shadows. From 30:45 onwards.

I actually can't see any indoor shadows. I see reflections, global illumination and shaders, but no shadows on characters or objects whenever you're in indoor areas. Maybe the areas aren't really lit well enough for them to be noticeable.

main character looks like a super-bitchboy and combat looks worse than those monster hunter turds

Everything.

Square Enix was a mistake.

That demo really pissed me off.
"Here, play the baby mode and then one boss fight that's annoying as hell."