Ghostbusters 2017: We already know what went wrong

Been re-watching Extreme Ghostbusters recently and I had a thought. Why didn't they just model GB2017 on Extreme?
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. It's basically the same premise (Original Ghostbusters retire, new team takes their place in the near future) but handled way worse.
I get Paul Fag wanted the female cast, but why didn't he just fucking genderbend them? We had fleshed out characters with chemistry and a wealth of stories to cherrypick from to make a really good soft reboot.
I get that we've talked about Ghostbusters 2017 to death, but I just can't get this out of my head. Fuck, I even thought up a few ideas for my own spiritual successor film before watching Extreme again, only to find that half of them WERE USED IN THE SHOW. (Not saying my ideas are genius, but so fucking obvious I can't believe Fag missed them.)

Anyway, Extreme Ghostbusters thread.
Men in Black: The Series is also allowed

the real question is: why didn't they use one of the pre-existing all-female teams from the expanded universe. After Ghostbusters went franchise in the treatise of GB3/the 2007 video game, it opened up all sorts of casting possibilities

It was never a Ghostbusters movie.

If you decide that you want to make a Ghostbusters movie, with the power of that brand, you DECIDE to make a Ghostbusters movie. You get a solid script or at the very least a basis to go with before you ever announce it.

Everyone knew the movie was just a bullshit wamen comedy because they announced a fucking Ghostbusters movie, said it was going to be all women, and didn't give a single detail more. If they knew it was going to be all women because they were reaching into the lore and thought a team made out of the female ghostbusters would be good they'd immediately lead with "Hey, It's going to be a recast Janine (we'll still get Annie Potts a role) with Melanie Ortiz and Irena Cortez. We'll be adding a new character, we'll be trying to work in as much cannon as possible." They wouldn't announce "Well, it's going to be an all female cast." and it just be that.

So ultimately, it was a female comedy first, and a Ghostbusters movie second. Which really pisses me off because now we're not going to ever get a female ghostbusters movie. Instead of 80's Sigourney in a jumpsuit I get a tub of lard nasally complaining about won-tons.

Oh, and related. Rare footage of Paul Feig trying to cast attractive women in the movie.

The simple answer is that they didn't give a shit about Ghostbusters or making a good Ghostbusters movie. They cared about pushing propaganda only.

Are you kidding? It would of been an even bigger disaster.

That Extreme was as good as it was is something of a miracle when you look at it on paper. One of them was a fucking cripple for christ sake.

After seeing a bunch of behind the scenes shit, Paul Fieg comes off a guy who's way too fucking nice to make a movie, let alone a major motion picture. He never told anyone that they couldn't do something, and added in basically every bit of adlibbed dialogue because he didn't want to say they couldn't. There might have actually been a decent script or something under there, especially considering it was just a complete remake of the original, but the script itself got lost in a tidal wave of shitty improv.

I blame Bill Murray. If he hadn't spent so long being opposed to the idea of a third film, we might have gotten it years ago and none of this would've happened.

Murray can be forgiven for his trepidation considering
1) Ghostbusters II sucked (not as bad as Cisbusters but still)
2) He doesn't do many sequels (probably because of Ghostbusters II)
3) What sequels he has done have sucked

This. It is just Bridesmaid 3: Spooktacular edition. Fieg had a minor hit in Bridesmaid fall into his lap and he was desperately trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice. There are interviews where he admits that if the movie doesn't do well, he will likely never have the opportunity to direct a major motion picture again.

As for the script, it is hard to say. I find all the characters in wombbusters to be forced and artificial. The original may have been caricatures, but they were grounded in very real personalities. Meanwhile, the female cast are these idealizations that you would typically find in a Hallmark movie or a romance novel. "I'm a super genius physicist, but these straight white males won't take me seriously because of my vagina" or "I'm among the greatest technological inventors since Tesla, which you can tell by my lolsorandom quirkiness".

The problem is if that if Sony was able to force Murray into it in the end, he should've done it before Ramis died. It is also kind of hard to stay on your high horse when you also went on talk shows and shilled these women as funny.

Sony were most likely never going to force him into it when it was Ghostbusters 3. Ghostbusters II failed, though it made a lot of money, so I doubt they were eager to make a third film, especially if the third film could kill the franchise.
The forcing probably came about when Pascal wanted to make her shit-tier propaganda and everybody but Dan Aykroyd told her it was a shit idea and they'd have no part in it.
Sony/Pascal most likely bullied him into it same way they bullied him into appearing in the film.

The rumor is that Murray and the other GB actors were contractually signed up for 3 GB movies. Sony was able to say it was a 3rd movie and force them to appear in (and probably promote) it.

Just wanna say that cosplayers =/= fans. Rest of the post is fine.

If it were as simple as that they wouldn't need to find things in Murray's original contract to force him to do Cisbusters, as the leaked email suggested.

You are a special kind of faggot aren't you?

Yeah, It was really just an excuse to put up a picture with attractive women in ghostbusters costumes.

Though I think the point still stands. Any of those cosplayers are probably bigger fans of the franchise than anyone involved in that abortion of a film. Granted, that isn't a high bar.

Nah user, that would be the intelligent way out.

what?

The game was based on the manuscript for the unmade third movie written by Ramis and Akroyd. It is not unfair to consider its story to be the third movie

You can see from the concept art that the player character was supposed to be Tully, but they couldn't get Rick Moranis to come out of retirement

no shit? well that sucks

I didn't know that. I know the wii version let you play as a chick for some reason, and the ps3 didn't.

Pee Wee Herman was going to play the Big Bad, Ivo Shandor, the architect/cult leader who built the skyscraper from the first film.

stooooop, this shit sounds amazing

user, your shiftkey is broken.

quiet, autismo

It is. For me it's just the 3rd movie and manages to make the first and second movies better with its existence.

Mind you it isn't perfect. A major funding problem and bankruptcy with Atari right before release resulted in a few things being rushed and unfinished. This is immediately seen in some lip syncing polish early in the game, and sadly culminates in the loss of a thanksgiving parade level that was supposed to be the big money shot of the game.

Seriously, the developer wrote tons of civilian pathing AI to react to ghosts and run around as well as the ability for the ghostbusters presence to calm them down and even make them start cheering if you did well catching the ghosts, culminating in fighting the thanksgiving day floats as a boss fight.

You wonder why the balloons were randomly in ghostbusters 2016? Stolen directly from this concept.

But putting that aside, the game is still pretty fun.

The cast has said it pretty much is the 3rd movie. It's a shame happened but it's well worth playing regardless. It's pretty much what every kid dreamed of a Ghostbusters game being instead of god awful shit like Ghostbusters 2 on NES. Sadly it's been up and down on Steam like a cheap hooker due to said fuckery with Atari. Should be simple enough to find a torrent out there.

Failing that just watch the "movie", it's got some great lines in it.

Because, Paul Feig and the rest of the faggots that keep getting their hands on famous franchises, are egomaniacal narcissists who believe that they do not need the source material, but that their version will be better, more enlightened by their progressive politics, more enjoyable to audiences on account of the forced diversity, and more beloved because they shit all over all the hard work and material that's existed for decades before they ever put their faggy little hands on it.

Right, I did hear about that.
There's still some good shit in the game.
That library was scary as shit. The room with the child ghosts screaming and crying was a bit intense considering Ghostbusters is primarily comedy.