What are the best metroidvania games out there?

What are the best metroidvania games out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php?x=top
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is this trashed again? Its not the best but it was serviceable.

Axiom Verge is fantastic, but its more of a straight Super Metroid clone than a Metroidvania. Also one of the few games that pull off pixelshit right

Aria of Sorrow is pinnacle of the genre.

Ori and the Blind Forest is extremely comfy

Super Metroid and Castlevania.

It's probably the best metroid game to come out since 1994 while still being unique enough to not be a complete clone, but yeah it's still very close to super metroid. If you haven't played it, go play it.

Also on vita because you gotta be able to use it for something, though it lags a bit in certain places and the sound's a bit fucky.

Guacamelee and Valdis Story have the best combat in metroidvanias

Thanks for the recommendation to get the wii u version!

Tomba 1 and 2 are great.

Super Metroid
Castlevania

Is non-linearity part of being considered a Metroidvania? If so, Guacamelee sure does not count, that game is linear as fuck.

Rabi Ribi is pretty good.

Seconding this.

Felt pretty bland imo, and ended up refunding it.

Alright for fan service, but you can't even use jumping attacks in the early parts.

clearly you've already played this but

It constantly changes which leg its on too since they just mirror the sprites.

Not really sure if it counts as "metroidvania" but I'm playing Odallus, it's pretty fucking good if you ask me, and it's one of the few that go for a an 8-bit aesthetic and pulls it

Its awful, made my a manchild, and just so broken in a bad way.

metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php?x=top

Get started OP.

La
FUCKING
Mulana

Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City is really fun. I'm not even memeing here, it's actually a pretty good game.

Play these for a history lesson.

Salt and sanctuary advertises itself as 2D dark souls, which it is, but it also perfectly qualifies as a metroidvania, with movement upgrades and such.

after seeing that image of compiled snapshots of all the cringeworthy reddit ragefaces crammed in, I swore that I'd never touch that shitty game.

Try out Valdis Story, its pretty nice.

there are many words I could use to describe valdis story, but "nice" isn't one of them. valdis story is fucking shit.

Original System Shock

That's not metroidvania
It's a good game, but it's even less included in that genre that the go-to mistake normalfaggots make: dark souls

I want to pirate it, but I also want the knight DLC for that fucking sweet armor