I started talking to the guy at the shoe store about old video games and he recommended "Chrono Trigger" to me

I started talking to the guy at the shoe store about old video games and he recommended "Chrono Trigger" to me.

I'm like thirty seconds in and it's great so far.

General Chrono Trigger thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zsSg_TDMz70
youtube.com/watch?v=wdIyxSVtPek
youtube.com/watch?v=gqEmRjtTVzQ
comfy.moe/qkrydi.zip
youtube.com/watch?v=XCmXL9uiEKc&t=4
laronmi.net/junk/phantasia/
web.archive.org/web/20140815045228/http://www.it.sakura.ne.jp/~joshua/retorono310/TOPPAGE.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So you're saw a couple of fucking birds fly over some medieval area? How the fuck do you know the game's great from part of the introduction.

It's a pretty good game OP, keep playing it, it only gets better

Are you serious? I know it's great because so far it has

>great graphics (for it's time of course)
>cool features (holding "B" to run)

It's a widely known fact that people who work with feet know which products have sole.

Can you even mention old videogames without someone mentioning chrono trigger? It wasn't that good in retrospective, Seiken Densetsu 3 was better IMO

It has great graphics. Full stop. They are designed well, properly stylized, and well animated. They are great graphics. They don't need a qualifier you nerd.

It gets better in retrospective as shittier games are released and make you realize just how well designed it was.

Keep going OP, the soundtrack gets amazing as well

I didn't find Chrono Trigger to be that great. The setup was neat at first but the story went full retard in no time at all. The combat mechanics aren't interesting. Maybe I just didn't get it. Why the fuck were there modern humans 65 million years in the past?

The same reason there's fucking magic, it's a fantasy game, it doesn't take place on earth and it's an excuse to have humans and dinosaurs fighting each others.

Because Japs are greenpilled and they're telling us the true history of the Earth through good vidya.

ayla > frog > lucca > magus > crono > robo > marle

game is shit, dont shill it here.

Confucius you little shit.

I sense your asshurt stems from other causes than Chrono Trigger

you call that a b8?

Seiken Densetsu 3 was mechanically a mess, though.

Fucking loved the party building though. Brb, replaying as full melee guys only.

Kill yourself, goon.

You see the end of time, a destroyer of worlds, and steampunk science more advanced than current science in the real world, and your question is about humans existing in an arbitrary time period? C'mon, man.

I never liked SD3 as much. I also never played it as much as CT, since it's far easier to play CT on a korean handheld that has a shitty stick. I should probably play SD3 again. My biggest complaint was that the routes had differences depending on who you chose as the main hero, whereas I would have liked consistency, like Hawk either choosing his the childhood love interest every time. At least, that's what I remember.

How does Marle cast fire/lighting magic when she's water element?

Ayla is fucking hot.

Fun game. Great Japanese RPG which has the right balance of story and action to it. Doesn't hold your hand but won't leave you high and dry either.

Never felt like I ever needed to grind my way out of a problem. If I was failing it was probably do to having bad team composition and/or strategy. However, grinding can bring its own great rewards.

Is it going to change your life? no
Is it going to suck your dick? no.
Is it going to leave you with some deep burning philosophical questions? no.

But it is good fun from start to finish. You'll go to many differnt worlds from many different times and in the later game (when the last quests start to open up) you'll be able to cause changes to the world across time lines.

I'd say its a must play.

You mean ice.

And I guess that's just LOL BOXART.

Chrono Trigger is what normalfags who think they have good taste in old games would recommend. Wageslaves in game stores will talk it up but mention any other old-school JRPG and they'll be scratching their heads. It's not even about whether they chose poorly, it's just an example of them scratching the surface and not bothering to look any deeper afterward

Probably early concept art, you never even fight that enemy in that area.

Look at me, trying to point out wrong elements and fucking up in the process. Yeah, Marle was ice, Frog was Water. Both had healing, so I think it they're essentially supposed to be the same.

Yeah, although I think Marle's healing was far stronger.

What it really all boils down to is who's double and tripple techs are the best.

Not to mention the town in the background.

Marle had Haste, which was fucking awesome, so I usually kept her around over Frog despite the fact that he's pretty rad.

Yeah, Haste is pretty much one of the GOAT powers for support/buffs.

Actually, Marle and Frog differ in that Marle focuses on spells and healing, while Frog is a paladin type who focuses more on attacking.

Frog has great attack combos, Marle is better at healing and support.

Also don't kill Magus when you meet him in a snowy area.

Looking forward to playing this when my RGB cables comes. Sounded appealing from what everyone's said over the years.

Thank you user for the MSU1 version.

Well seeing as this popped up, did you guys play the DS re-release? I think the retranslation was better than the original. Particularly embed related - Frog's speech about fighting Magus at 7:20

Fuck those animated cutscenes though

There's an option for you to turn them off in the options.

So it's essentially a better Chrono Cross, with loads of extra content added on.

FUCK I meant chrono trigger.

Chrono Trigger is a really great game, OP. I've played tons of other JRPGs, both popular and obscure, and I've yet to find one quite as good. It just hits every note perfectly.

Nah, the party building was the only area where that game really shined. It was just average or slightly above average in every other respect.

NEUGA ZIENA ZIEBER ZON.

I actually haven't played the DS version in years, and it's been even longer since I've played the English SNES version, but from what I can recall, the translation in the DS version was better for the most part, Frog's corrected speech being just one good example. Parts of Woolsey's translation was better though, like the name "Mystics", it actually makes much more sense than "Fiends".

when did the reptilians thing became a meme? early 80's or late 80's?

I know. Woolsey's translation was rushed but he had some good ideas overall, but frankly some lines are so much better on the DS. Frog's speech before cutting the fucking mountain in half just stood out to me in particular.

God damnit I love the game.

It has less grindan than FF6 and those shitty genesis ARPGs.

Eh, grinding in FF VI isn't really even required. The only times I ever grind in that game at all are on that invisible enemy that gives no EXP but like, 10 AP, and those worms in the desert that give a lot of AP. Minimal grinding with them will give you all the spells you could want, and it's not even necessary. Aside from that I just get some great equipment from dungeons and the Coliseum, make sure to get the Soul of Thamasa, and I can wreck everything in the game with level 20-30 something characters.

Though you don't even have to put in that much effort in Chrono Trigger, it's true. Chrono Trigger you can basically just play through without thinking of grinding of any kind as long as you don't run from every single battle.

i guess you got Chrono Triggered

Good going

Shh, just enjoy the Ayla.

It's not a bad game, but it's very overrated.

When most of the criticism boils down to "it's good, but it's pretty run of the mill", I don't think it's fair to say that it's overrated.

It does what it set out to do excellently and it shows in how many people know and like it.

SD3's battle system is a mess. I probably wouldn't even put it among the best RPGs for the SNES. It's too bad because that game had mad potential. Should had been released for a more powerful system..

Agreed, but what it set out to do was groundbreaking in the 90's and it's not the 90's anymore. I appreciate it for what it is and I recognize how top notch it was back then, but I don't see why anyone who plays it for the first time today should think "omg greatest game ever don't EVER let me catch anyone say anything bad about it!" instead of "yeah, this is what the good RPGs from the early 90's were like. Still solid."

Yeah, but I don't think overrated is a good word for that. That makes it seem like it's popular but fundamentally flawed game.

All right but I don't know what other word to use then. There's no simple word for "It was cutting edge in the 90's and is still a very solid, playable game today although its wow factor has faded."

Then just say that.

Free yourself of buzzwords.

Aged, maybe? Though I don't think that wow factor should ever factor into how good a game is, since that's such a changing factor from person to person.

What's the matter user?

You seem troubled

Okay, I'm beginning to see what he meant.

It depends in how you rate.

Do you for instance compare the graphics or size of a map in a 90s game to what is coming out today?

That's the problem I always have with explaining to someone how great an old game is. Chronotrigger did age, it's from 1995 after all.

Uhuh have you perhaps considered it is possible for people to have played more than one old jrpg? Does playing Chronotrigger magically block you from playing other games?

Fool.

If you like Chrono Trigger, you should also check out Final Fantasy VI and Seiken Densetsu 3 for the SNES.

Chrono Trigger is an amazing jrpg OP, I hope you enjoy it. Since you seem to be a casual plebeian who never played the greatest jrpgs back then let me recommend you Suikoden 2.

Suikoden 2 is by far my favorite jrpg of all time, the game is simply brilliant from start to finish.

Simple point, the game holds up today because fun in a video game is timeless.

Al's got good taste.

I'm seeing a lot of Seiken Densetsu 3, but no one's recommended Secret of Mana yet.

So I guess I will.

You play as an orphan boy who finds a sword in a stone and is banished from his village for breaking the village elder's decree regarding the sword being left alone. Monsters have been showing up in increasing numbers, there's trouble in the nearby kingdoms with people going missing and the Empire is growing stronger and bolder by the day.

It's like playing a childhood story with cool settings and lots of weapons and magic.

The game is 100% COMFY AS FUCK and the music is easily on par with Chrono Trigger as some of the best on the SNES.
youtube.com/watch?v=zsSg_TDMz70
youtube.com/watch?v=wdIyxSVtPek
youtube.com/watch?v=gqEmRjtTVzQ

Suikoden 1&2 are breddy good too.

Truth be told, it wasn't very groundbreaking or cutting edge for it's time, as it came out about a year into the PS1 and Saturn's lifespan, and even by then there were games more innovative in terms of gameplay, graphics, and story.

Chrono Trigger was more about taking all of the lessons learned from other RPGs of that period, many of which were made by people who worked on the game, and using them to make a JRPG that succeed in every a JRPG can succeed. The "wow factor" came from it's fantastic execution, which still has yet to be equaled. At least by any of the games I've played.

Seriously, COMFY AS FUCK.

I really like both, don't make me choose, user.

I don't know. There's a guy at a game store I like that knows his old JRPGs, though it certainly helps that he knows moon so he can pretty much play any of them.

I really enjoy the DS version (having an official version of the game physically that isn't riddled with slowdown and doesn't cost an arm and a leg is nice, and it's portable to boot, letting you take the comfy with you), though to be fair it's the only version I've played. Some people seem to be annoyed at the retranslation for "killing the charm" or whatever.

Also pretty nice that it gives players options, between turning of the anime FMVs and the option to use one screen (like the game originally did for TVs) or to clutter the top screen and have the menus on the bottom.

I'd agree that it's overrated, but that certainly doesn't make it bad, the way people seem prone to throwing the word around.

Also helps that the sprite work means it still holds up well graphically, and the battle system, with it having some encounters being avoidable and the way dual techs actually feel like a combination of moves and teamwork between the characters is nice.

Need to give those series a go sometime myself. Might as well mention as recommendations the Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts series if any anons are looking for stuff to play, though I suppose they're not as old as the SNES.

I really need to get more experience with Kikuta's soundtracks. The only game he worked on that I've played at this point was Koudelka (a game he not only composed for, but was a game he came up with himself).

Is it just me or does that cover art look 100% like dragonball.

pls be bait

I just googled this and learned it was the sequel to FInal Fantasy Adventure. That game was fun as hell, I'll have to try this out.

Somehow I get the feeling this is bait. But if not, same fucking artist for both.

Yeah, Seiken Densetsu had it's name changed when it came west to Final Fantasy Adventure, the same way the early SaGa games were named Final Fantasy Legend I, II, and III.

Akira Toriyama did the art and design, yes.

Never play the original Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure, only the remake Sword of Mana.

Should I try it out?

Why is marl using a fire dual-tech? Fucking nips can't even get box art right.

Concept art based off an early screenshot from before they'd nailed down who had what elements.

Shit, too much Holla Forums, my brain automatically filled in the missing first letters in the second line as "nigger".

fug

I remember seeing someone coming up with an idea for Chrono Nigger in a "replace one letter in a game's name and write what the new one's like" thread. It had black Chrono selling crack across time.

Old Chrono Trigger OVA for anyone that hasn't seen it before.

I don't know how it compares, but if you like old school Zelda games, you will probably like it. It is a bit faster pace and more action orientated, but has a similar feel to Link's Awakening.

That sounds kind of amazing.

Though if Holla Forums played this game they'd be all over the degeneracy.

Yeah, I've played Sword of Mana but I think I'll try it out anyhow.

That odd wailing or crying throughout really helps make it.

Final Fantasy Adventure was Seiken Densetsu 1
Secret of Mana was Seiken Densetsu 2
Seiken Densetsu 3 never got an official English translation but it did get a ROM translation.

Magus had a hard life.

Fuck, do not bump was still on.

I still find it funny how Holla Forums seems to like the first BoF; apparently having a game where ZOG is the enemy trumps the fact that most of the characters are animal men.

Maybe, but Frog deserves avenging Cyrus.

Speaking of which, I need to replay BoF1&2. I barely remember the game.

By the time I played it, I wasn't entirely surprised after having learned a thing or two about translation, but still, it was neat.

And since I'm talking translation, I feel like sharing some trivia. There were these puns in Flea's Japanese speech that couldn't be translated. He was called Mayone in the Japanese version as I'm sure many of you already know, which is of course, Mayonnaise. He often ended his sentences in the ending particles "yo ne", as a reference to his own name. Impossible to translate of course.

I don't know, I find little stuff like that interesting, so I thought I'd share.

Oh, nips and their language quirks.

I usually let Frog have his revenge, but Magus is still a cool character.

That reminds me, I used to think that the Tales of Phantasia translation on the SNES was accurate and the GBA version was censored.

Good times.

OP Here, it's not just you.

True, but that doesn't excuse some of the shit he did. Does make the player a bit sympathetic toward him though (Dhaos in Tales of Phantasia being a similar case; too bad the game's script is so abbreviated compared to the original "Tale Phantasia" script though, so theres a lot the player doesn't actually experience, as as such the reveal can feel a bit too sudden).

I played BoF 1 a while back on the GBA. It's decent, but a bit bland, and the western version has some censorship (such Karn originally having been some black kid in Japan named "Dank" or something; guessing Square didn't like the connotations, considering they localized it instead of Capcom). BoF 2 though you REALLY need the fan retranslation for.

Don't forget to use the re-translation patch for BoF2 if you're not going jp.

Phantasia GBA has more issues that Kangaroo War as it's an all around bad frankenstein of the two prior versions of the game, and DeJap is notorious for having overembellished stuff in the SFC translation. The PS1 version's well done though, and you have two options to choose from translation wise. Absolute Zero is also working on translating the NDX bundle for the PSP (along with Destiny DC), which contains the most refined version of Phantasia.

Yeah, I was aware the BoF2 translation was ass, but thank you for the reminder all the same.

Need to see my first vidiya crush again.

Played through the SNES, dropped the GBA halfway, played through the PS1 twice.

We're getting the PSP version?

FUCK YEAH

comfy.moe/qkrydi.zip
This pre-patched rom fixes most of the translation issues.

Technically the second, better PSP version; no point in fan translating the FVE version when the version bundled with NDX has everything the FVE has and more. It's technically two games: Tales of Phantasia X Edition (a version of the game updated to have fluidity similar to Eternia) and Narikiri Dungeon X (a full remake of the GBC spinoff). However, it's going to be a while before they're done, since they're technically working on three games as current projects (with Destiny DC and ToPX being the priority projects).

With the SFC one I assume?

"Tales of Phantasia European Font Enhancement + Kajitani Eizan Menu Patch v0.2 (Hack).gba"

INDIGNATION!

My only real issue with the newer versions, is that Cless' ingame first look was honestly the best one. Though, as I understand it, he was wearing his weird spandex get up in the art from the beginning.

Oh. Still, not sure why someone would have devoted that much of an effort to the GBA version, as that one itself plays worse (looks and sounds worse too) than the SFC or PS1 versions.

Think Namco (and other companies that ported their SNES JRPGs to the GBA as well) would have been wise to hold off on them until the DS was out. Looking at how decent a port Chrono Trigger DS is, I'd hate to think how it would have turned out as a GBA port instead.

OP here again, some of you are right..

The soundtrack for this is awesome!

Japanese is a pun-lover's dream language.

Still haven't played that one in Nip, but I've seen the scene online (I played the PSX version with Absolute Zero's patch), and I can imagine that was punched up quite a bit.

I've talked with some people who have translated Kinoko Nasu's works, I'm somewhat aware of that fact.

Interesting thing about that. The original artist that had for Phantasia, Yoshiaki Inagaki, originally did the original prerelease character designs. You can still find some of his old art around if you know where to look. Most fans are more familiar with Fujishima's style, as after Inagaki left the project, they redid the character designs.

There's a scene in the game with Arche, in an underage drunken stupor, obviously having a dream about trying something Cress, who she's got a bit of a crush on, and mumbling in her sleep. If memory serves, it's more subtle in the PS1 fan translations, while in the SFC fan translation, she's outright saying "fuck me Cress" and stuff.

That and the scene before they start drinking, where Klaus/Clarth asks Cless what he thinks of the girls.

He says something along the lines of "I bet Archer is like a tiger between the sheets".>>9614051

Oh man, that art is cool.

Magus is best villain to ally

*Arche
And trying to link to this post

Lol just no

Have some more. I got a bunch thanks to other people saving the artwork from before Nostalgic Phantasian went down.

WRROOOONG

It actually makes sense- they're using a triple tech called Arc Impulse (Frost Arc in the DS version)

The animation lines up with the box-art (ie frog lying on the ground cause Crono's jumped off him, Crono's sword has fire in-game for whatever reason.

I found this out cause i'm apparently the only person who used Crono/Frog/Marle in their party

Embed's not working for whatever reason but see youtube.com/watch?v=XCmXL9uiEKc&t=4

Okay. wow. That's kind of strange and cool.

Yeah embeds don't work with timestamps.

Who are the kids?

Can this also be an Illusion of Gaia thread?

Also remember that people who hate Chrono Cross are just salty, contrarian hipsters.

Tales of Phantasia's original script, "Tale Phantasia" apparently consisted of three distinct parts: the first being from the perspective of a woman named Winona Pickford and detailing the arrival of the Demon King, who she initially supported until seeing his descent into violence at the people of Midgard not wanting to cooperate, who would willingly take up the mantle of evil after his attempts at diplomacy failed. The second part focused on Rhea Scarlet's attempt to get revenge on the Dhaos and his minions for the death of her parents and destruction of her village. The third part is Cress and friend's time travelling adventure to defeat Dhaos. The first part was stripped entirely for the game, the second part greatly abridged, and the third part is the main focus of the game.

Maybe only wrong in retrospect (consider only the DS version has it, and it added various things including a tie-in to Chrono Cross with the Time Devourer. As far as the original art and releases go, that cover is still based on the original prerelease concept.

I was always a Terranigger, so Illusion of Gaia is welcome as fuck.

Brown haired boy is Cress, blue haired boy is Chester, and the blue haired girl is Chester's little sister, Amy.

Still need to give those a go sometime. I only got into JRPGs maybe five or so years back, so there's a lot of classics I still need to play. But it's been fun so far.

Boredom and autism goes a long ways.

As a kid I always thought it was kinda hot when Will and Kara merged.

How about a JRPGs OP needs to play thread?

Star Ocean 1 and 2 are breddy good, too. Though the SNES version of 1 is crashy as fuck so probably better going for the PSP version.
The second one is essentially the same, PS1 and PSP, except that you can't skip dialogue and it's voiced so it's SLOOOOOOOW as fuck.

Certain PSP games are emulated very well on my computer, others are not..

I meant to say that in the PSP version of Star Ocean 2, you can't skip dialogue.

And in the Star Ocean SNES one to PSP transition, they went from no overworld with fucking beautifully detailed landscapes to ugly ass 3d overworlds, so I'm a bit annoyed by that still.

Still, I'd have thought there's be a bit more productive use for someone's time. I mean, it's one thing to try to hack something shit into something better (from what I've heard the Japanese have been trying to hack Stargazer, the Legendary Shit Game, into something remotely enjoyable for a long time), but when there's much better versions of the game in existence, it's not likely people are going to be using that hack since they wouldn't be playing that version anyhow.

Already tossed a recommendation for the Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts series out there, but I'll do so again.

Huh? No, it's in all versions, just named differently (Arc Impulse on Snes, Frost Arc on DS)

If I remember correctly, it was one of the two games on the SNES that maxed out the limits of the cartridge memory.

Or was that Phantasia and Terranigma.

At least it was one of the first with combat dialogue with shouts and stuff.

Huh. Well, again, I've only played the DS version, and long seen people talk about how the box art doesn't match what Marle's able to use in the game. Still not a flaming sword attack the way the box art and prerelease screenshot would suggest though. I suppose the execution of the attack is the same, but the element involved isn't.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia were the ones that used the most space. Both were by WolfTeam (in perhaps in Star Ocean's case former WolfTeam members, as, if what I've heard is correct, the team split up after some of them getting mad at how Namco had handled Tales of Phantasia, removing parts of the script and not giving them credit and stuff like that, with the ones that left forming Tri-Ace), incidentally, so I suppose it makes sense.

Speaking of WolfTeam, the third Song of the Angel game, another of their old SFC RPGs, is being fan translated. I do wish someone would pick up the prior TurboGrafx games for fan translation; one of my favorite composers worked on those (and unfortunately, for me I suppose, didn't work on the SFC entry).

Wait, that's Suzu?

Flea is best grill

Yeah, an early version of her. They also used her for the site's "pardon our dust" sort of page, seen here .

Until someone can figure out a way to add text to all the cutscenes and voice overs that also works on the original console or someone assembles a team of fan dubbers it's just not going to happen.

into the trash it goes

That's a man, baby

Last ones. Most of these can be found at laronmi.net/junk/phantasia/ with further descriptions, but someone actually bothered with archiving the entire original site as well web.archive.org/web/20140815045228/http://www.it.sakura.ne.jp/~joshua/retorono310/TOPPAGE.html

I suppose actual technical reasons for why they haven't are certainly valid. Still strikes me as a shame, and with the TG16 not being all that popular out here, I can understand why they might not have been brought over. Though even looking at the SFC, there are a lot of JRPGs the west never saw, even with the system being popular.

A lot of these designs are way more interesting than the ones we have today.

Though, they're too 90s to work today, I'd think.

a futa needs to have a vagina, balls, a dick, and tits.

having no balls just makes it look like a strapon, thats a bitch

THAT'S NOT HOW COMPOUND BOWS WORK

Loving the designs though.

That's why its not gay. You're gay, user.

I don't mind Fujishima's work even though he's a bit prone to same facing (a lot of his character designs honestly seem pretty reasonable and even the stranger ones tend to have actual characterization explanations; meanwhile, while I don't dislike Inomata's early work with Destiny and Eternia, her work on later games seems a bit overdesigned at times; and then there's Okamura, who runs the gamete from Ludger-tier great to Emil-tier bad), but I do have to wonder what Inagaki went on to doing after Phantasia, whether he did anymore vidya character design and concept art for games the west never got.

Aside from Cless, I like the character designs in Phantasia.

Arche's puffy pants and Chester's gear in particular look nice.

Huh, forgot a Maxwell image.

Cress' design honestly isn't that bad if you look at it from more of a "knight in training" viewpoint. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd been having to buy his armor piece by piece, and at the time the game started could have still been working on leg plates and lower chest.

He's honestly got a better, more protective design than most JRPG protagonists do.

Black full-body spandex with zero leg protection do not good armor make.

But JRPGs don't really concern themselves with realism.

True, and I'm honestly still not real sure how the bodysuit is more useful than regular pants, or whatever would go under armor.

Mentioned it earlier, but Ludger's design is really good. Maybe not so much for combat, but given that the poor sap's roped into having to work to pay back a massive fucking debt, looking professional likely helps with leaving an impression on possible clients (though the way the game handles jobs, you mostly just turn them in at a generic NPC and collect a reward they've already been told to give to whoever, but there's a number of them you do meet in person).

Damn straight, son.

That was my party too. They had the best healing tech.

Seiken densetsu 3 isn't even a good game let alone better than Chrono Trigger

Why was that?

I bought this recently .

Is it worth ny time if I'm.not an expert at RPGs ?

All I've played was chrono and Pokemon if that counts.

Played veeaperia but that orange hair kid made it so I couldn't finish the game .

He's honestly not too bad as a character and grows into his own. Shame he's rather sluggish in combat, though when you get Reaper Knock it helps

I can't remember what my first triple tech was. I usually used Crono, Frog, and Ayla. That said, Dual Techs always seemed more useful, since one character was still free to act as need be.

Great RPG.
The advertisement campaign for it made me believe it was supposed to be some weird ass mental trip of some sort.

What it really turns out to be is pretty much a magic-punk form of Highlander.

Cause you only need X-strike and robo tackle, you get those early.

Mine was Final Kick.

Old old OLD fucking picture I took back when I played it for the first time on my parents' eMachines computer in high school in like 2003 or so.

Holy shit Klarth looks different from how I imagined him.

Yeah, they really did go a bit overboard on stuff with the SFC fan translation.

None of the characters in those images are Klarth, if that's what you mean. But yeah, he really has a pretty different design between the original style Inagaki did (where he looks more like a scholar of sorts) and the tattooed warlock style Fujishma design he's been every since.