I'm playing F.E.A.R for the first time

And holy fuck, this game is great. For some reason I've never played it before even though I'm 25. It's been a long time since a game made me so addicted to it, and I rarely want to play games for any long time nowadays. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the gameplay is top notch. I try not to use the slow motion, and the gunfights are pure fucking adrenaline. It also has the best shotgun I've ever seen.
Now tell me, Holla Forums, are the two addons also that good and why the fuck people don't make good FPS games anymore? The last decent FPS that I've played was Bulletstorm and it's dead from what I understand, and it is by no means as good as F.E.A.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is good in it's own way but also dead and is different.

Are there any FPS games that are as good as F.E.A.R in terms of pure action? Or just plain good?

Use slow-mo you faggot. Its there for fun.

I'd say the expansions are worth it, though perhaps not Perseus Mandate. Extraction Point is a continuation of the main game, PE isn't.

Yes, F.E.A.R is top tier. Such good fun. Absolute shame they squandered the potential. Supernatural FPS/horror hybrid with a protagonist capable of powers/abilities is great and F.E.A.R delivered. They fucked it all up with 2 though.

When I first played FEAR I was surprised how "smart" the AI was - they for example try to flank you if you camp for too long.

It's not that good.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the second most overrated game by the Holla Forums hivemind behind Nep Nep

pleb

The 2 addons are basically more of the same, they don't expand on the formula or anything, just think of them as more map packs, so yeah, go at them.

Also the Slow-mo is a life saver most of the time, do not reject it.

It's absolutely great because it's the only one of it's kind. The concept is neat and the execution was great albeit with a limited budget.

K.Y.S F.A.M

Explain why it's not good. It's "overrated" is not a reason

My Aryan brother.

Perseus Mandate and Extraction Point are preddy good too. Extration Point gets new weapons and iirc the AI got a little better.

For me it's the bullet spongey enemies and linear missions. Lack of convenient quick travel hurts too, it makes the exo armor not enjoyable.

Aryan brethren please, the shotgun is MANDATORY to play this game with.

One of my friends, who doesn't like FEAR, played through the game using the assault rifle, the submachine gun and the Penetrator and he only used the last when he was out of ammo.

Some people just can't into fun.

WHAT

WHY

Great, who gives a fucking shit? Go play the goddamned game you stupid shit. I'm tired of these newfag attention whoring threads with shit like

Kill your fucking self.

Fucking racists.

Nigger your aim is either shit or your not playing on Master, you can down pretty much everyone with a headshot or a quick burst, sure i'll give you that a few of the mutant like the bloodsucker and controller are a bit bullet spongey but a few shotgun blasts to a bloodsucker will kill it quick.

No wonder he didn't enjoy it, half the fun of FEAR is blasting someone at point blank with a shotgun or nailing them to a wall.

Having fun is hard.

Ayyy

FEAR 2 has some neat set pieces. 3 is a total shitshow though.

What so terrible about 3? Haven't played it, but I'm curious.

speaking of first times, i just tried far cry 2
got boring fast
everything was brown
weapon jamming happened way too often
driving was fun
burning people and buildings with molotovs/flamethrowers was great fun

It had very little in the way of actual horror besides one enemy that only showed in short bursts. The enemies were retarded, refusing to take cover and when they did, they made no attempt to flank/give suppressing fire/use grenades to flush out the player. Playing coop made the game too easy since Fettal's powers were OP as fuck, but going through single player felt like a chore since some areas feel designed for coop. You were given regenerating health and half of the good guns from the originals just became better versions of the assualt rifle (looking at you, Penetrator.) Multiplayer aspects were good but the campaign was a shitshow and not worth playing through a second time alone.

Supposedly a mod makes FC2 fun. I can't get the game to run though. If I remember right, it has been a while after all, I got immediate CTD.

As you unlock more weapons and start to get more into the groove of experimentation and murder, it gets more fun. Not something I'd play for hours on end, but a mission or two at a time.

Dylans mod, never tried it.

Perseus mandate is shit, but had the only part of the game that legit spuked me, where you're fighting purely nonhuman entities. The rest of it has shit-tier level design.
Extraction Point is more of the same, more weapons and shit though

Why?

The game has shit that everytone here bitches about in Bethesda games or modern games in general, but it's somehow fine for this game:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is the game i think about, when i encounter Holla Forums-tards being hypocrytical about something some modern title did.
Literally half the shit people bitch about in the modern game industry is true for this game. If only it had a hint of SJW-ism and some DLC.

As I said, oldfags looking for a circlejerk.

If you want to ciclejerk go back to fuckign reddit

Hey, goon, you can reply to more than one post at a time.

Try Painkiller?

Hey op press H
IIRC that's the key for going unarmed

Crysis is the only thing I can think of that's good in the same kind of ways. Albeit with different enviornments and strategies to overcome the A.I, it still feels like just a damn good shooter with solid gameplay and old-school polish.

I've never played it, but I've heard a couple of times that it's good. Always thought it was just something like Serious Sam, except people liked it for darker setting. Is it actually good?

Huh, didn't know that. And punches are also 1-hit kills on regular soldiers, huh. I kind of thought that main character's only superpower was reflex time, but apparently he's super strong or maybe they just made punches effective to make them fun. Thanks anyway.

I've played the first two, quite liked them both. The first was a little bit more interesting with all the exploration, but the second one was more action-packed and linear, and the guys who made it were gods of optimization. So I can't say which one is the best. What about the third one? Should I play it?

Oh, and I do think that Serious Sam is good. just to make it clear.

The first one's the only one worth playing. I'm after getting back to it. Playing the expansions and going to look into custom maps and multiplayer mod.

3rd is trash much like the 2nd. No recoil, slow moving enemies, slow moving player character, max speed does nothing interesting (except make you about the default speed of the original game), max strength does nothing interesting unlike the 1st where it made travelling varied terrain (that actually existed) easier by jumping, kicking giant containers, skips and vehicles around as part of mobile cover, attack strategies etc.

2-3 are when the series was consolised hence the slow movement to catrer to gamepad aiming.

That was back in the day when consolised meant gameplay only. Nowadays nothing even beats Crysis 1 graphics OR gameplay. Nothing is sacred.

Crysis and F.E.A.R are some of the few really solid FPS games where all objects cast shadows from light sources (even the player character) and close to all objects have their own physics. I love the way you can pick up a damn coffee cup and max strength throw it at a Korean or use a computer monitor as a distraction. Too cool.

Painkiller is nice, but more like Doom-type games. I never got into Serious Sam… seemed boring.

Making a crysis webm right now. Standby

Yeah, punches are strong but only if you hit them on the head, otherwise it takes a couple of blows. Kick are OHKO though.
Later in game when gas mask replicas show up, they take atleast 2 blows to the head.
Oh and hevies doN't get damaged by it.

Playing crysis on delta was so much fun, because you actually had to use your suit and employ  gorilla warfare. Plus the enemies spoke in korean so you didn't know what the fuck was going on.
Anybody got the text for the unofficial max diff?

Yep Delta mode. Korean's speaking Korean took what F.E.A.R does but made it confusing. Detail like that is what matters in vidya.

I have to complain about the damage scaling, though. Maximum armour was too weak. I understand it's just for taking indirect fire and then immediately retreating to cover but on Delta almost every enemy with standard armour could take more body shots than you could.

Enemy melee hits should've done close to no damage even with another suit mode and on max armour standard enemy melee should've done absolutely no damage since that suit is designed to take bullets and regular soldier's muscles are not anywhere near the capability of causing damage.

So although I like the Delta mode… I'm actually in the market for a balance mod. Higher suit energy capacity (roughly doubled) but at slower regeneration (unless close to a power source like fire) would've rewarded more consecutive strategic actions while punishing screwing up after using all energy, encouraging more bold, awesome breaches. Also being able to max speed sprint for more than all of 1.5 seconds would've been nice.

Perhaps the dev console can be utilised to balance these things.

Yeah, that was kind of off putting.
On a slightly unrelated note, storywise i kind of liked the way they did the suit in 1 where it was just a tool, a super secret project, so they combusted with the soldier in them to avoid it being found. Imo crysis 2 fucked it up by making it an entity.

Yeah it also has some of the best CQB moves there is.

In good FPS you've got the Shadow Warrior remake that wasn't mentioned but that's about it.

stalker has some pretty glaring AI issues and a lot of weapon overlap, plus the artifact system is retarded easy to break. The mutants are well designed, but are terribly under utilized in the games level design, plus a lot of the large areas have tons of pointless space.

Stalker games are OK, but very flawed.

shadow warrior 2013 is horrible, and there's no redeeming qualities about it.

Don't forget it's clunky and just not fun to play. The weapons feel pathetic and kill the immersion. The "atmosphere" is laughable.

Yeah they fucked it up. Turns out burning the soldiers with it wasn't ideal since those were the only suits ever made and were possibly the most valuable piece of military technology ever made. I don't see why they didn't just extract the dead soldiers and only resort to burning when it was unreachable/behind enemy lines with a timer or anti-tamper or somehing.

In Crysis 1 it makes it seem like yeah it's valuable but there's possibly more in production since they're ok with destroying them in the field. Even the Korean's have a discount version of them who you first encounter in the graveyard which was a great setup. I smacked a dude's head into a giant gravestone and pieces of it broke off. It was like a Tekken fight. THE DETAIL.

The least they could do is update the game to stop trying to install more DRM and anti-cheat tehcbology every time I launch it since they took the fucking servers down.

I wish you could dash in FEAR. Considering the super soldier style, it was pretty annoying that there was largely no way to close in on a replica, and that you moved so damn slowly, if he was +back and shooting you you had to just gun at him from behind cover, if you tried to close in with the shotgun you'd just die before you got there. Couldn't really jump between cover until you got to him either since there was no way to quickly move between cover. A dive roll would have been cool.

The rooftop and other very open areas were bloody awful because of this. It came down to plinking with the machinegun which wasn't even able to plink because you were forced to burst fire with that awful blooming recoil.

No horror, awful shooting, plot left burning in the harbor, no interesting anything, garbage coop.
I got spooked once, and that was because you're walking through a pitch black area with jump scares.

It was just really super mediocre.

Literally everything you're crying about is fixed with mods. Kill yourself :^)

You are the cancer, user.

Slow mo doubles running speed.

Painkiller 1 and the BooH expansion were amazing and nothing like Serious Sam (I hate Serious Sam). It allows for some pretty incredible skilled movement too.

I'm surprised nobody's talked about the AI here. It wasn't actually that advanced, but what they did was make the enemies call out what they were doing on the radio.

It was basically a simple trick that made the game a shit ton more fun. I wonder why it's not used these days.

Holy fuck kill yourself man

Well, there's more to the AI than just calling out their actions.
The replicas throw grenades while engaging you or when you're trying to sit in a cover. They also flank you sometimes and often split up and come at you from front AND back. Another interesting thing that I've noticed is that sometimes you don't know whether you've killed themall or not because a lonely survivior of the squad can go silent and just sit patiently behind some desk waiting for you with a shotgun.

Nig

Nah it's fucking great. Fights are intense and it's all about dodging and up close melee combat thanks to katana health leaching, It drags on a little too long like fear did though.

Try Underhell.

Would have used it more if they actually gave me ammo for it.

The rooftops in the decrepit apartments gives you one right before the sniper segment.
It's leaning on an easy chair or something

This is how you spot a bullshitter in a STALKER thread. Patch 1.0005 is 100% playable. Maybe 1/10 people will experience a large bug or a few CTDs but that's not game ending or anywhere near the state of a beth game on release. ZRP, a minor bugfix, removes even those issues.

Now true it was buggy on release and some content was cut but a massively ambitious game in a new engine by a bunch of inexperienced slavs from 2007 is not expected to be as polished as, say, Skyrim using a 15 year old engine the devs have themselves been using for 14 fucking years. Even Morrowind, the first Beth game to use Gamebryo, was less ambitious than STALKER since it was largely based on existing work and ideas.

You can gain more ammo by using the ammo glitch if you want.

That said the devs went in with the intention that every gun should remain valid until the end so I kept the pistols, shotgun and used the third slot for either the penetrator or the heavier guns in the game.

F.E.A.R.'s AI was actually brilliant because of the simplicity. They only try one of a few actions but it turns out that that gives you an aggressive, decisive AI.

The devs also had a standing rule for not allowing level designers to hardcode AI actions beyond the basic (i.e. enter from here) which helps. If they wanted dynamic fights they had to build proper places to fight in.

Topkek, slavaboos are pathetic.

I bet you like Skyrim too, faggot.

I like Shadow Warrior, but games like F.E.A.R. and Dark Messiah feel too long on the first playthrough, and too short on the second.
SW2013 just feels padded.

Anybody have the comparison to Bioshock Inf and FEAR grenades?

Let me have a look.

And here's the other gif in the series.

I knew there was a second one somewhere.

Fucking videogames

It's almost like the first was a PC game that was later ported to consoles, while 2 and 3 were gimped for console parity from the ground up.

Hmmm…

Even though I know its a troll this still triggered me, thanks shitlord.

I just finished FC2 a few days ago, it was incredibly fun and I enjoyed it.

I used Dylans mod, widescreen fixer for FOV, and sweetfx with sharpening toned down.

I found it pretty great, I would recommend you to play on the infamous or hardcore difficulty, normal is laughably easy.

That's an interesting image user.

Even as far back as 2006 the same bullshit terminology was used to justify dumbing things down for consolised sequels.

What does dylans mod do? I remember dropping far cry 2 some time after the jackal visiting you after you got shot or something. Nothing really memorable about the game

Back when I didn't quite know how to record I ended up with a stuttering framerate got got stuff like this.

Those are the main ones off the top of my head, there are other tweaks added to the game.

FC2 felt like MGSV and stalker rolled together in a way.

There's another fairly new mod called Infamous Fusion which rolls a bunch of mods together to make the game more difficulty and less cheesy, I'd also take a look at that if I were you.

That mod sounds like exactly what the game needs. Never knew there were mods for the game, ill check it out in 2 or 3 days when my new computer is delivered.

Well shit. Once I get something better than a toaster I might have to look into that; I played it as a consoleshitter way back when it first released and thought it was interesting but quit halfway or so through because of the AI bullshit that made stealth effectively impossible and my guns doing as much damage as a whiffle bat while also breaking every five magazines.

I think I spent more time in the map editor than the actual game.

F.E.A.R. is just satisfying to play

F.E.A.R 2 is pretty forgettable but at least you get Raped it wasn't Rape for me :^)

F.E.A.R 3 was so bland that me and my friend couldn't even play threw half.

i at never passed no GOT DAN SPLER B'S an i never in tend do.

Aside from that, yeah it's a good game.

yeah nah, it sucks dick

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The nice thing about Crysis is that you can unpack the game's files and tweak it to your heart's content. I spent a couple hours modding the weapons to be more different, fixed up suit functions so there wasn't so much drain for using Strength mode to dampen recoil, etc. It's been a couple years since I did this, but here's the list I remember

Nigger you just fucking suck, master is the only way to play STALKER else you just bitch about shit like in your first post.

That's how I played it, and I liked the game.

You're not my aryan brother, then.

Just want to grab some artifacts.

The final stage is literally call of duty.

What the fuck is this Holla Forums's git gud mentality, I have my own idea of fun and I just want to have fun.

Pistol, penetrator, punches, and shotgun is the only way to play.
the penetrator is my dick
I'm coming for ya ghostie

Penetrator is love.

As in it's a metaphor for my dick nailing people into the walls, while the shotgun is a metaphor for explosive moneyshots.

Sounds like you're primed to write some Gawker article.

what's gawker?

Too bad acting naïve doesn't make you look any less retarded.

Go make a waifu or tojo thread.

Most of them stolen from the FEAR 1 expansions that were deemed "non-canon" by an asshurt developer that sucked so bad at making a sequel that WB took their rights to FEAR away and made them make nothing but licensed properties for WB.

Let's see.

Git gud, FC2 was the last good Far Cry. 3 could be fun but the colors were all retarded, the intended message of "white man violence bad" is gay as fuck even though it didn't actually work, and so much of 3 was incredibly lazily made

2 was shit. Try Warhead, expansion pack for 1 that lets you play as Psycho.
3 can't come close to the quality of 1, but is legitimately enjoyable and decent on its own.

What's the point of that? Play on a difficulty above bitch mode or normal and damage is already pretty high.
Weapons that aren't shit don't even degrade that quickly in vanilla.
Now that's an actually useful fix.
And that's just making things boring/too easy.

Pick. One.

But can you restore the original gore?

That reminds me, play SMod faggot.

Not to mention:

It's like you play F.E.A.R. on any difficulty lower than Extreme.

Good man.

Good man.

>>>Holla Forums

Very well put.

I've played FEAR+PM+EP on extreme through without slow mo, it was fun.

Run & gun in Underhell is just ass, handling-wise.

Oh god, that music is horrible.

That webm is what got me to play Underhell in the first place. I don't think it's something I would listen to by itself, but in the fight it really sets the tone of the confrontation.

I don't know about you, but the Penetrator is kept in reserve for Alma's far too erotic rape-and-pregnancy in FEAR "2"

I know see the horror part in horror shooter

I keep reading this. And it keeps getting funnier.

We talk about it all the time when someone makes a thread about AIs, or a FEAR thread.

if you're still here, remember to disable your HID-compliant devices in device manager, it'll like quintuple your framerate

OP is right about FEAR, but calling Bulletstorm a good FPS…WTF?

I still maintain FEAR's graphics are the best. Everything is crisp and sharp as well as incorporating droplet sounds with the puddles of blood.

l-lewd

I JUST DUN WANTD TO GRAB SUM GRUB, BUBBA!
How fucking stupid are you?

Playable doesn't mean it's not buggy, retard. Every Bethsoft game is 100% "playable" for me at launch as well, doesn't make it less buggy shit

kek

The games are still as buggy as any Bethsoft game, you idiots are jsut in denial, or you don't want to admit it, since it will expose the obvious hypocrisy.

Oh, so if a game is made by a bunch of poor slavs, it is perfectly ok for them to completely fail at meeting expectations and to do almost everything that you hate about other studios.

This is why you totally don't get pissed at scam Early Asses/Kikestarter games, right, because they are made by unexpericned devs, so it's ok for them to lie and cut stuff short, yes? ;^)

What kind of dumb logic is this? They promised the world, they fucking failed and they released and over hyped, buggy game, that even their most loyal fans won't even play without installing fixes made by somebody else.

People still bitched about the shitty state o Dark Souls 1 on PC, even though it was made by a studio that has very little experience with PC gaming, yet , again, it's fine when magic slavs do it. God Damn, that's some SJW level hypocrisy right there.

Why can't you drones just admit, that the game was broken and unfinished, but it was still great due to atmosphere and overall chiki-brikiness, instead of denying problems and making moronic excuses for them? Is it because you then have to accept the same thing with other games, and god forbid you can't bitch about them?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't designed around a concept of plug-ins like that, user - lots of games aren't.

I don't habeeb it. I distinctly remember entering a room in the wrong direction via shenanigans, and the enemies all standing stock still with their backs to me (bodies facing the door)

Shit looked like it was entirely scripted, from start to spinach

If fucking only this kind of stuff weren't the exception.

You sure they weren't waiting for you and you just BTFO of their ambush?

True, but not because the shotgun is the best gun overall. Instead it's only because the games do a terrible job of reliably giving you ammo for guns that were as good as the shotgun. By the time I was playing Perseus Mandate I was so sick of always using the shotgun and would have loved to use the other better guns instead but nope, even if every shot's a headshot something like the ASP never has enough bullets. Only the assault rifle and shotgun reliably get ammo drops and the shotgun is vastly better, so it's all shotgun all the time.

If I could have made just one change to those games, it'd be letting the player accumulate ammo for all guns, not just the ones you're carrying. Then you actually could have built up enough ammo to use those other inconsistent guns more. Otherwise, dropping what you had for them was an ammo gamble that probably wouldn't pay off, since you lose whatever extra you had accumulated for the gun you ditched, and who knows if there will be more laser carbine ammo soon? That's a joke of course, obviously there won't be. Only shotgun and assault rifle ammo for you.

It was fun, but my biggest complaint was that normal difficulty was pretty darn easy, (I only died once ever,) but go any higher at all and every enemy gets annoyingly bullet spongey. It's a classic example of never being difficult in a fun way.

Yeah I'd keep first slot for rifle, second slot for shotgun, and then third slot for whatever. But I'd usually just end up using the rifle for everything since there was so much ammo and it killed things so quickly at every range.

Placement is obviously scripted, but when they start fighting you, it's whatever the AI does, depending on the level.