THE 1966 BATMAN SERIES TURNS FIFTY-TWO TODAY!

It's been fifty two years since the Batman TV series first aired and changed pop culture, and comic book culture, forever. To commemorate this anniversary, I'm going to story-time some Batman comics that were adapted by the show, starting with Batman #171, which served as the inspiration for the series and was retold in the first two episodes.

Too bad Adam West isn't around anymore to enjoy this anniversary with us.

The end of Batman #171.

The third and fourth episodes of the Batman TV Series ("Fine Feathered Finks", "Batman's a Jinx") were adaptations of Batman #169 "Partners in Plunder".

In my opinion, the episodes are far better than the actual comic they were based on.

That's the end of "Partners in Plunder". I remember reading that they were originally going to have the jeweled meteorite, but it proved too expensive.

The fifth and sixth episodes ("The Joker is Wild", "Batman is Riled") were when the writing staff really started digging into Batman's back-issues. Batman #169 and #171 were published in 1965, a year before the series aired. But for the first appearance of The Joker, they went with Batman #73 "The Joker's Utility Belt", published in 1952.

Also in Batman #73 was the story "Guns for Hire", and I think that's where they got the idea for labeling everything. I also kinda wish they adapted it, because the idea of hoods renting untraceable guns from a mysterious "Renter" is really fun.

The end of "The Joker's Utility Belt".

Thanks user

We need more Batman in this thread. Since OP bailed, I'll pick up the slack.

Next on the list is Batman #121 "The Ice Crimes Of Mr. Zero!" which formed the loose outline for the episodes "Instant Freeze/Rats Like Cheese". It's the first appearance of Mr. Zero AKA Mr. Freeze.

Detective Comics #230. First appearance of the Mad Hatter, Jervis Tetch.

This issue was of course the basis for the episode set "The Thirteenth Hat/Batman Stands Pat".

Batman #133 first (and only?) appearance of False-Face.

"A Haripin, A Hoe, A Hacksaw, A Hole In The Ground!" Batman #53. Basis for the episode set "Joker Trumps an Ace/Batman Sets the Pace".

I love Cesar Romero, but I think the comic is better.

Next is another Joker story, Detective Comics #341 "The Joker's Comedy Capers!", but this comic wasn't adapted for a Joker episode though, but rather the Riddler episodes "Death In Slow Motion/ The Riddler's False Notion"

Taking a break from the Batman stories for a Robin one. This one featuring the first appearance of THE CLOCK.

As everyone knows, Bill Finger, creator of Batman, wrote an episode set of the TV show, "The Clock King's Crazy Crimes/The Clock King Gets Crowned". What most people don't know is that the Clock King is not based on the Green Arrow villain, but rather the obscure villain The Clock, which Finger created.

Batman #36 "The Penguin's Nest", inspiration for the episode set "The Penguin's Nest/The Bird's Last Jest".

Batman #161 "New Crimes of The Mad Hatter". The '66 Mad Hatter episodes were actually combinations of the first and second appearances of The Mad Hatter.

Using hats for crimes fits with the episode set "The Contaminated Cowl/The Mad Hatter Runs Afoul", but the episodes switch plots.

Rounding this storytime off is Detective Comics # 359, the first appearance of Barbara Gordon Batgirl.

Poor Killer Moth.

That's the end of this storytime.

I want to mention that the Hollywood Museum just opened a Batman '66 exhibit, with a lot of costumes, props, and merchandise from the show. I wish I could go see it.

God damn Babs was a hot librarian

When I was in the first years of primary school, one of my friends would always accompany fights with music from the show

No one cared user.

Did you make giant cue cards to go along with the fights?