Danganronpa

Pretty good case otherwise, but that detail ruined it for me.

I had assumed that it was the opposite, otherwise Gambler chick's plot in the fist game wouldn't have worked, Hifumi would have had nothing to gain, the whole plan was to have her kill someone, him kill someone, clearing them both while she was the one who masterminded the whole plan.

Of course Hifumi could just be retarded, I haven't touched DR in ages so I could be wrong.

It actually states that whoever pulled the trigger is considered the mastermind. It's why it was a point of contention with Peko, who ALMOST got away with it had Kuzu agreed with her shitty clause to be a tool.

Had celeste not killed fatty, then that trial would've went differently

Usually how cases work in DR is in every trial there's one person trying to cockblock you because of unrelated bullshit, one person trying to fuck you because of something from the last case, the mystery is solved by contradiction rather than evidence, and the rules of murder are blatantly wrote after the writing team made up the cases to close up loopholes.

No, it is directly stated by Monokuma that the mastermind is the one who counts. On case 3 for both games. Of course, it turns out to not matter shit for case 2-3 because they didn't exploit Ibuki being susceptible to order into killing. But, the rule is still stated, and completely ignored in case 5.

The reason why Peko was considered the culprit is because she decided, on her own, to kill. Fuyuhiko definitely wanted to rough Mahiru up, but he didn't want to kill her. Peko acted on her own in the decisive moment, which is why her weapon excuse didn't fly.

Isn't it because case 5 is technically an accidental murder? All the mastermind did was set up a bunch of shit, without giving the order he doesn't actually count as a mastermind just like in the Peko case.

perfectly summed up, if you are reading this vn for the mystery or the murders then you're an idiot

While the stipulation of giving the order might be a good way to close the plot hole, again the Peko case disproves it. She was found guilty because she acted brashly, killing Mahiru while Fuyuhiko was getting pissed off. He never ordered her to kill her - if he did, the weapon excuse would have worked.
Still, you raise a good point - since case 1-3 is the only one we can really work on for the mastermind rule, and both parties definitely worked together on that one, cooperation would be the dividing factor. But since Monokuma didn't mention it, I'm pretty sure what happened is this :

Or, maybe the stuff about the mastermind in 2-3 was just a red herring and not every not used possibility for a culprits is evidence of massive rewriting

Wasn't the fitth case the one with Nagito and shit? I don't remember there anyone manipulating another

The entire case revolved on the one who inflicted the killing blow, though unwittingly and as intended by Nagito, being somehow the culprit. It doesn't make much sense on its own, much less considering monokuma said earlier only the mastermind of a murder counts.

I haven't tried Danganronpa. There's another reason?

Oh yeah true, I think I remember something like that. It really shouldn't be a murder if there's no premeditation there.

Playing both Dangaropas I always thought what would happen if you for example create a fire or something without realizing that "by chance" kill someone. Monokuma can't really read your mind and if you make it in a way that can look like an accident then… how can anybody know if it was murder or not?

Zero Escape >>> Danganronpa

Ever17 >>> Zero Escape

Maybe it would be if it hadn't stacks of unnecessary text

The OST, the Parappa-the-rapper graphics, the cute women and Monokuma and the references are the only ones that come to mind.

She just does whatever brings in the most despair.

Monokuma was willing to waive the rule if Kuzu bought into Peko's bullshit just for shits and giggles, and as states Nagito didn't really mastermind anything, he just set a carton full of chemicals on a shelf near a bunch of fire grenades and """""""""accidently"""""""""" got caught in the middle of a fire. Someone grabbing the wrong one is not his fault, they could've grabbed any other one

This is so ridiculously wrong I'm not going to bother refuting it. Play the damn case.

yes, he placed a carton full of noxious chemicals and placed a slew of monokuma standees near a lighter which set a curtain on fire. At no point did he confer with any other person about this, and his death even outside the game would be considered manslaughter in the court of law.

faggot

That actually raises a question. If the others were too late or didn't do anything after setting the fire, and Nagito died because of that, would he be the mastermind, or would whoever knocked down the Monokumas be the murderer?

It whould be whoever knocked down the monokumas, and because of LUCK! Gamer girl whould do it.

she may not care but she is bound by the rules

In the second game only.

Monokuma deliberately broke his own rules in the 5th case of the first game and it was addressed, any other inconsistencies in the rules in them is pretty insignificant compared to that.

The whole point of the case is that he turned a fire grenade into a poison grenade. No case was involved at any point. Shut the hell up.

The fun Characters, the colorful art style, the music, and the comedy makes the game pretty fun. The mysteries aren't that great but it's a pretty fun series.

I see the game as a collection of entertainingly absurd plot twists. A lot of it doesn't make too much sense after the fact upon close inspection, but it is a wild ride with fun characters, art, and music to back it up.

'Monokuma' explicitly cheats in order to get his way (ie, case 4 (suicide =/= murder) and the use of Mukuro's corpse to try and frame Kyoko in 'Case 5' in Game 1, and then literally forcing them into murder in cases 3 and 4 of game 2) at times so even if this was an actual case of him disregarding his own rules I can't call it that surprising.

and? I put a knife in the middle of a street and there happens to be a murder utilizing that knife. Is it my fault the murder happened?

Gokigenyou~

If you go to an office building, replace the contents of a fire extinguisher with poison gas and then hook up the printer to set fire to the building when it's used, then I'm pretty sure you'd be held responsible if someone ends up dying.

IBUKI IS BEST GIRL

That's a strange way to spell Junko

Go back to your contaminant thread Junkofag, you're not welcomed here.

This thread makes me happy that I'm not the only one irritated as fuck with this shit.
If you booby trap shit so that someone winds up dying from it, you're the one responsible. The end. It's nothing but bullshit loopholes to justify the plot events.

Fuck, the only reason I even played 2 is because I played 1 and have a compulsion to finish even shitty stories.

Rude.

Yeah it's a horribly written VN.
Not to mention all the plot holes, but whatever.

I see you're a man of culture as well.

you'd be held responsible for handling dangerous chemicals and creating a life-threatening situation, as fucked up as it is, the person who used the fire extinguisher is still responsible for the death

In what ass-backwards country do you live where anyone other than the saboteur is responsible for sabotage?

It's bullshit, but I think it boils down to the game isn't fair, because Junko is stupid.

why is life so cruel I suppose I should see that as a good thing :^)

See, the problem here isn't that Monokuma cheats - it's what he fucking does. The problem in 2-5 is that nobody ever calls out that someone tricked into unwittingly killing is considered the blackened. It already makes little sense on its own, and it flies in the face of what Monokuma said earlier. Just have him go "no, this time only the killing blow counts and there ain't fuckall you can do about it UPUPUPU". It fits his character, it's fine. The problem is that they never adress it, so it becomes a plot hole.

Am I the only one who prefers the beta designs to this animu bullshit?

You aren't, same goes for the color scheme and more grounded courtroom.

I think all of the executions after the first were made after the design shift too because Leon's (Kazuo's) stands out among all of them in the final game because it actually makes at least some sense.

Okay, finally finished 2. I didn't hate the ending overall, but it did feel pretty abrupt. What the hell happened after the shutdown ? Why did they seemingly keep their personas ? I'd be much more interested in a continuation of the storyline rather than a prequel that's guaranteed to be saturated in Junko cringe for the DR3 anime.

I would probably have disagreed before playing the games, but now I agree the beta looked more promising. Danganronpa hurts itself with the overwrought stuff, something closer to zero escape would have worked better.

No the thing is, I can stomach DR1's style but DR2 and all the following shit ruined it for me. It stopped being "creepy but in an animesque way" and now it's full blown light hearted shit with some pink gore every once in a while. I especially hate how in Despair Girls they made the standard NPCs fucking silhouettes, it's harder to feel for the crosswalk guy dying in your hands.

Plus it really felt like people in an actual school having to solve a mystery, DR looks like a hotel more than that.

Ibuki is literally every obnoxcious 16 year old Suicide Silence scene chick.

How can that EVER be anything but trash.

Agreed, on pretty much everything except for the murders themselves (excluding 3) I prefer DR1. This series would have been far better off if they kept it grounded in a school or something and didn't have any mention of the tragedy, even if they could properly explain it (which they haven't).

The appeal of DR is the plot twist filled murders, weird characters, and the aesthetics. None of those are helped by making the story far more grand than the murders.

Well she's cute and her song comes out of fucking left field even if you should be prepared for it.
Most girls in this game look real cute but I don't understand how can someone even stomach them past their appearance, the only one I kind of think would be less unbearable is Kirigiri and even then she's such an autist.

DangitRonPaul is some kind of detective/attorney game?

What the fuck I always thought it was a bullet hell with an egdy side story for some reason.

Why did I think that.

Probably because the subtitle is "Trigger Happy Havoc" and the court room discussion works by shooting Truth Bullets at statements.

You're probably getting it mixed up with the DonPachi games, which are bullet hells and at least one of which has an edgy side story.

Go back to being dead, Chiaki

I was crushed when I found out that Chiaki was merely an AI

she was never alive in the first place.

Is there anyone translating the new Danganronpa manga in English? Killer Killer I think it's called. Maybe.

Think Ace Attorney smashed together with Battle Royale and dunked in peptobismo, anime tropes, and despair and you have DanganRonpa.

The set up is basically a bunch of anime high schoolers, each who are the best of the best at some specific field, like swimming or having rich parents, are trapped with a bunch of their classmates, and are given the opportunity to escape, but only by murdering someone and getting away with it.

Once a murder is committed, the characters are given a chance to investigate, and then the class trial commences, which works sort of like an ace attorney trial, but the cross examinations are generally mixed together with some sort of minigame. Even simple presenting of evidence takes the form of a little shooting mini-game.

Shit is weird and easily piratable. Give it a try if you feel like it.

God damn, I'm trying to get through Despair Girls and I'm at the start of chapter 2 and I have to force myself to play even just a little bit at a time because it's so fucking tedious.
Literally the only characters I care about seeing more of are Toko and Servant and that's only because I care about them from more interesting and better paced games.

I agree, but not because it's "animu bullshit"; they're both pretty fucking anime.
I liked the beta designs because they looked more like actual school uniforms that were more…well…uniform.

Dangan has pacing problems in general, but it is made much more egregious when it's an action title. Also the ultimate brats are a complete miss. There are many ways to write good villains, but making self-professed selfish, monstrous and annoying little shits that win because they have an army of robots at their beck and call isn't one of them. I don't want to run away from or defeat those villains, I just want to pummel the crap out of them until they stop talking shit. Excuse the edgy bullshit but goddamn, they're just that grating.

Hinata is the only good part about DR2, by virtue of replying to people in a very "manner-of-fact" way and not being afraid to cop a feel of nurse-tan.
But yeah Despair Girls is not a very good game, even though I was really excited about it since it was made by the same guys that brought us Kenka Bancho.

Even though I've spoiled myself the ending I still don't understand you.
I really enjoyed how they've played around the previous game's twists, right of the bat you also get 7 truth bullets to choose from, cases didn't get painfully obvious after the second one and characters became more eccentric thus more fun.
Also, Ibuki - the best girl. On first sight from her image I've expected to hate her, but not even once she was annoying.

Yeah why do you fags shit on SDR2 so much? It's objectively better than DR1.

After playing them both, I'm not sure they can be compared that easily. 2 has better characters, an actually good villain in Komaeda, and a better Tragedy segment, but I found the cases, setting and tension underwhelming. 1 felt much more oppressive.
Content and features wise there isn't really a contest though.