Grim Dawn 1.0.0.4

So this game just got an update.

[Major New Features]

Other shit:
steamcommunity.com/app/219990/discussions/0/350532795338247984/

I like GD. It's certainly better than D3. Haven't touched it in a while though, which is a little sad.

Other urls found in this thread:

diabloii.net/blog/comments/jay-wilson-leaving-blizzard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How's this game anyway?
I remember some people on Holla Forums being hyped about it, then it actually comes out and nobody gives a fuck anymore.

I love it, haven't had this much fun since Diablo 2. That being said, I think Diablo 2 is still my all time fav ARPG.

What playstyles does it have?
Is it well optimized?

It honestly feel like the best hack and slash of all time for me.

It runs fine for me. The style is very much like Titan Quest if you played that.

D2 + Titan Quest. Spell modification/altspells are mimic Sacred spell system. Crafting are great and radically change playstyle even if you use min/max character.

Mainly because when it came out it had already been feature complete for a while. Its a good solid game, does exactly what you expect of it.

there are a bunch of classes to choose your starting class from (soldier, wizard, demolitions) and eventually you get to choose a 2nd one to compliment your powers, so you can make a spellblade or witchdoctor.

It's pretty good.
I have some grievances with it, but they're fairly minor. It's definitely worth a try/buy.

A big thing is the class hybridization. You can go pure but you'd be gimping yourself a little by doing it. If you wanted to go deep into one tree, I'd recommend taking another class just for some if its low hanging fruits just to balance yourself out. You should have the points to spare so it isn't too big of a deal.

I have no regrets.
I fucking love this game and I seriously hope someone makes a Soulvizier-tier mod for it like Titan Quest.

That's probably because a fair amount of us dumped dozens of hours into it before it was officially released.

You've got me beat by 7 hours.

Grim Dawn is in a very short list of good Early Access games that left Early Access.

I've been thinking of picking this up. Is the difficulty done well? Or is it piss easy like Diablo 3?

Starts easy, gets hard.
Plus there's a few challenge things you can do like trying to kill one of the gods.

I have a few *great* games.

Play hardcore characters.
I had a real bitch of a time with the final boss before the game was officially out. That fight was just totally horrible, so bad that I had to bitch out and lower the difficulty because I had spent an hour and I never even came close to killing it.

Sounds good.

Also, was looking at the devs about page

Nice credentials to say the least. I actually wondered what happened to some of the guys from 38 after Kingdoms of Amalur. I liked that game.

You know, I actually tried Starbound again the other day, and I didn't want to exit and uninstall. I think the unending narcissism fueled disjointed feature creep might have finally made something playable after half a dozen years in development.

It's extremely flawed and you'll get bored quickly enough.
Terraria is a hundred times better.

Absolutely. Just throwing it out there.

Anybody else getting frozen after a couple of seconds? i can get to the main menu but the screen just freezes and my mouse turns to a loading icon. Pic related pops up but i have no idea what any of it means.

I've been meaning to get back into this as I still haven't been able to finish a character. Any recommendations for a fun character build? Last one I tried was a Trickster who used Savagery but it started to get a bit boring. I was thinking of going for a blademaster but I have no idea how to build it.

Is there a way to reset attributes? I can reset skills if I mess up but attributes seem permanent.

Become a Lasermancer.
I don't think you can change your attributes. It's one of the few things about your build you can't change along with your class, so don't fuck it up.

can this game be played with friends on a pirated copy?

path of exile is better tbh

There's always one of you.

Lasermancer is occultist+Arcanist right? I haven't tried an actual spellcaster build other than messing around with DEE in the early game on my summoner so I'll give it a go.

The skill system in this game was lame.
There wasn't enough variety.

I've found I had much more fun with ability-heavy builds than the Trickster's simple 'm1' build.

You responded to bait. But also, the trade system wasn't helpful at all either. Everything about PoE is garbage, I think they fixed the clay looking models and the hovering, but even then.

It's fun, but kinda poorly balanced, and the camera is shit.
Other than that, I'd highly recommend it if you enjoy diablo-esce games.

PoE has interesting builds though.
The dual class system in this game was awful since you are pretty much forced into min-maxing a single skill and your dual class is pretty much only there for auras and passives.

Any suggestions? I don't know any of the builds and looking on the forums usually just brings up min maxed builds that only work with the exact right items. I just want something to play through the game on normal difficulty with veteran enabled. The furthest i've gone so far was beating the bandit near devils crossing, finding some refugees outside a cave and then crossing the cave to a bunch of farmlands so i'm only on act 2 or 3 at best.

And exactly the same can be said for PoE. Almost all builds consist of one, very rarely two min-maxed skills being spammed while any other skill is an aura or a buff.

Well, any build you make should be a little "min maxed".
Regardless of what you do, you want fewer, more powerful abilities and passives/actives that synergize with them.

But PoE has more than 2 worthwhile skills per class and the support gem is way far ahead of the -40% phys +60% fire damage skills you get in this game.

Same with Titan Quest.

Also, this. It only have potential because the possibilities are greater, but that doesn0t mean you can min-max in PoE as well. You only have more variety, but from that variety, most skills are shit.

There is already a PoE thread, why the fuck shit this thread up?

The real issue is that there are barely any real skills in the game, you have around 2 worthwhile skills per class and end up wasting all your skill points on CLASS LEVEL and passives to buff your one skill.

The game had potential but they took the Diablo 3 wowlike gear +class stat(element damage) mechanics and a severe step back from Diablo 2's skill synergy system.

It's still alright and fun enough if you like the genre but it could had been so much better.

Because PoE players seem to be the vegans of vidya.

It's nice they're adding free updates and whatnot.
I still can't justify paying for it until they seriously diversify the skill trees for every class, and maybe add in 3-4 more classes.
What they have currently is okay, but just okay. Very few abilities actually feel satisfying to use, and there's a general blandness and lack of imagination about the whole thing.

Also, there's no proper magic nuke machine that wields the four elements of nature and summons volcanos and frozen tornados and shit. Just a lot of that "arcane" nonsense, and some fire and explosives - admittedly the explosives are somewhat fun to use at least.

tldr - I'm waiting for the inevitable expansion ala TQ.

I have to agree. I find the itemization extremely underwhelming in this game.
When you're playing a hack&loot game, and the loot isn't interesting enough to make you want to constantly search for more, there's a problem..

Because if there's one thing you can always bet on, is a PoE player telling you that PoE is the best thing since sliced bread and everything else is shit compared to it.
In every fucking goddamn thread even remotely about anything related to diablo or diablo clones.
PoE players are literally Jehovah's Witnesses.

PoE's kinda fun, in its own extra-grindy way, but I don't see how anything will ever top D2.

And that's why PoE will never be able to achieve a level above "kinda fun". Their greed and retardation capped the game's potential in a huge way.
GD, while currently also merely "kinda fun", still has that potential. Even if expansions don't fix it, it's possible that mods will.

Do you have the original image with the furry crying at the wheelchair? I've been looking for it for so long

Sorry i dont. But you can ask in /furry/ cringe thread.

Runs great for me, but seems to run my GPU fans ragged if I don't cap the FPS to something. That could just be a personal problem, though.

That explains why Amalur stole quite a few skills from Titan Quest.

Better than vanilla diablo2, a bit worse than lod, not jewish unlike poe, a little smaller than current diablo3. Looks and works better than all of the above. But may be it has less replayability than d2 and builds are lame after poe.
Developers are really competent compared to others.

Mods are not that great for this kind of games.

Mods are fixed all bullshit in Torchlight 2. But candy WoW-like artstyle are eyesore.

MedianXL isn't terrible. It bloated out of control, but for a while there it was quite nice.

In their defense, :PoE is kinda fun…when you have some basic understanding of how skills and builds work (then again, I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing as a Summoner Witch).

Speaking of Summoning, is there a Summoning play-style in Grim Dawn, and is it fun? I can't play Rpgs unless I can be some kind of Summoner (preferably as ass-hole Summoner that only gives a shit about himself).

Torchlight 2 was fixed? I thought it was just going to be a broken piece of shit forever.

Shaman Occlutist
Then add in the Devotion system for more summons
Then add in the gems for even more summons

Eastern Sun was one of the best Diablo 2 mods I played because it made the Druid and Necro so much fun…before Blizzard made them viable (I remember you guys were saying they don't suck now).

No summoning in GD is fucking terrible.
You can only summon 1 pet and 2 if you get items.

Like a year ago. Sets, classes, crafting, spells, location rebalance.

Median XL isokay I guess, but d2 is hardly compatible with it. Too much of speed and only 2 active skills make game hard by virtue of shitty onterface. They build mod around idea but they forgot that they making game on d2 engine.

Its lessand less fun the more you understand.

Not really. But its not as fun as necromancer from d2. Nothing is good as necromancer from d2.

You wrong. i see people with like a 6-8 pets and few skeletons from Devotion tree.

Yea there is but its pretty limited, the build works but you still have a small amount of summons, very strong summons though. Thats the reason why I dont play PoE anymore, took a break and came back to a complete talent tree reset and changes. With a skill tree like PoE that shit is just too much.

I prefer Torchlight 2 more than GD, Titan Quest, PoE and D3. Come at me.

games pretty sweet, lots of depth for those that want it and it looks more like diablo then diablo 3 ever could.

Game is shit.

seems you have a predisposition for over stylized casual shit

fate or deathspank are better

What mods use?

Many. It depends on the situation.
Far Easter Pack is nice for some extra classes that are not buggy but a bit imbalanced.
I put some fishing, potions, spells, chests mods here and there.
I also put some Lv100 "Immortal" challenge bosses which are hard as fuck but doable if you know what you're doing with a maxed out character wich a high % of legendary drops.

There are so many mods that the game is enjoyable at any time and even more if you bring friends, you just have to have the same mods in the same order to play it online with them.

No

It's Titan Quest with a different setting, better selection of enemies/weapons/builds, and a cool mechanic called Devotion where you can customize your character's skills and attacks with various special effects you unlock via a really confusing starmap/constellation map.

I love it, but then again I love any game that lets me gun down hordes of skeletons or bandits or whatever with dual pistols, especially when i have a special effect on my pistols' attack that gives me a 75% chance to raise anyone killed by said attack as an undead skeleton who fights for me for like three minutes

what are some good builds? I tried going soldier and killing magic shit by pure violence was fun, but I felt like I had way too little skills

each build kinda depends on how you want to do it. personally i'm boring and like stacking two or three abilities that i max out and deal fucking biblical amounts of damage with them, but realistically almost any class aside from Soldier has a ton of abilities

as an example, on my Demolitionist I can throw three different kinds of grenades, put down mortar traps, spec my grenades to be flashbangs or deal electric damage or whatever, change what kind of damage my basic bullets deal etc. or occultist has i think four pets, maybe three that you cans summon simultaneously, and also has cool hex circles, poison spells, life leech, things like that

tl;dr every class but soldier has tons of abilities. try a shaman/occultist for the huge pet damage buffs, maybe

GD is a more polished Titan Quest.

DiabloII is best cos Jay didn't raep it
diabloii.net/blog/comments/jay-wilson-leaving-blizzard

no it does it to mine as well.

It's really good, It's pretty much Titan Quest with a new coat of paint.

I've never played any Diablo games. I played PoE in Beta ages ago and thought it was pretty fun with friends. I played a bit of Titan Quest with a friend but I didn't like it as much (didn't get very far though). I absolutely hate digging through massive piles of trash loot and dealing with colored special items.

Knowing all that, should I get Grim Dawn?

Oh, and I also used to play MU Online which had obvious Diablo influences, and I loved that game for as long as the grind didn't overpower my addiction.

Sure.

The thing with titan quest is that act 1 is the worst and most boring act. They really fucked up with that and it pushed a lot of people away. Both titan quest and grim dawn wont have you dig through mountains of loot like PoE, id say give it a pirate. If you like it and buy it you wont lose your character
At least in my experience, played till about level 45 and that character was still there in the legit version

PoE loot seemed manageable in the Beta, but TQ loot just pissed me off.

Maybe there were other factors affectingy opinion of them.

Affecting* my

Played through it once on a shitty laptop, in some area's with 10 or so fps. Will probably buy it and replay it when I get a new comp.

It's definitely an interesting game, but maybe because of the build I chose it felt a tad monotone. Went with Occultist/Pyromancer and ended up with a school shooter build, blowing enemies up with my shotgun lookalikes. Very satisfying for a long time, but towards the end, would have wanted more variety.

Still, it's the first RPG in a long time that I found entertaining.

Colored special items are still there, but you can disable seeing items that are below a level of quality. Once you have a build going, you've pretty much only concentrate on the items that might be useful to you, with the rest being vendor trash.

Pyro seems to lend itself to fire pistols a lot.

Last I played, 2h ranged was worthless compared to dual 1h. I need to play through this patch and give the 2hs I've stocked some love.

You can save your character so you dont have to replay back to where you were before.

I played it for 15 h before realizing that my char is saved online, when I play again I'd start a new char anyway, so I don't care.

I've no way to tell, really. The 2h guns seemed a lot shittier than the 1h ones, though.

I haven't really looked into the current balance but I really wanted to do a sort of Witch Hunter Occultist/Dual Pistol build… I don't think that's entirely possible though.

Why not? Chose Occultist + night blade.

Nightblade dual wielding is only for melee though, you need specific items to dual wield pistols last I checked.

You mean this?

The skills are boring. The builds are boring.

Why are you lying?

Occultist alone lets you have 2 pets, shaman has one or two, you can have pet summoning spells on an item, and you can get a few from devotion.

So you can absolutely play a pet build, there are lots of items that buff your pets, and commanding a whole horde is great.

Pyro works great with a sword and board Soldier.

I stopped playing before devotion was a thing.
It's nice that they added more options to summoner than 2 dogs(if you managed to find the stupid rune that allowed you to have a second one, 0,005% drop rate from bosses good luck with that) and stacking +pet damage items.
Too bad the entire item system is still as flawed as Diablo 3 though where you only stack +life and +build element of choice damage.

Occultist always had a crow and hellbeast, they also added the shaman class that has another great summon.

Fuck I mean Demo.

The crow was absolutely fucking shit and a complete waste of skill points.

May be soldier?

The crow's pretty much only for buffs.

Crow are good with fat-soldier. Menhir's will activate with crow HP drain and give you time before next Menhir's will activate.

That's nice and all but the summoner class was fucking awful to play.
I'm not sure if the new OP shaman pet and devotion skeletons make it more fun, but from what I saw earlier I really don't want to bother checking.
The hellhound was terribly outbalanced too, it did far too much damage earlier and later on turned into thrash due to the way the game scales with +damage% items like Diablo 3, everything becomes a DPS race due to the way stats things keep inflating in a non-linear manner ala WoW.

The way they decided to deal with items absolutely ruined the game for me.
Gear design is too important in this genre and GD failed in the same way D3 did.

Hound not. Last howl buff are working with item summon from legendary shield and Modrogen hood. Also Mondrogen hood have a summon buff +200% damage for all summons and lifesteal to you. Even if you upgrade crow one time - you have a instant HP gain from every enemy what your summons touch.

Sorry for my English

That's part of the problem, the scaling is terrible due to everything being % in the gear and how pet dmg % already started capped at around 25-50% since early game, the pet base damage being absolutely ridiculous in order to not fall behind with everyone having +300% damage and weapons scaling stupidly fast out of control as you leveled.

It's pretty much what happened to D3, which might explain why I enjoyed Torchlight and PoE more since they didn't fuck that up as hard even though they were massive gear mills as well.

You right. i like then game are scaled with item/sets/legendaries but GD scale ONLY with items and skill were not a priority while skill and combo are general thing in ARPG. This is why i like Sacred 2 skill/spell system before it died.

Crate just should rework all CURENT skill system.

I bought it at the insistence of a friend a while ago, played the first act and generally loved it, but couldn't get into the character building nearly as much as I could in PoE. Plus, once I beat act 1, a new PoE expansion came out and I went and played that.
However, now I'm pretty much burned the fuck out on PoE, and I completely forgot about this game. I really should finish it. Anyone have any FUN, unique build ideas? I did act 1 with a gunslinger and a claymore with stacked damage on the long-distance AoE thing, but I never had nearly the fun I've had with PoE's facebreaker cyclone, 2h flicker strike, 6 gorillion skeletons, etc.

occultist+arcanist LAZER BEAM BZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Hell yeah, the beam is fun as fuck.

Pure aether for now, but I plan on turning it to chaos once I have everything I want from the arcanist tree.

Spellbreaker with mad retaliation and the damage deflect magic shields from both Arcanist and Nightblade skill trees maybe? I have an existing char with a similar build but I left it at level 30 some time ago, so don't really know how it would work in the end game.

You can go in to blood build. shaman + night blade. Just rush in to enemy, hit everyone a little and look how enemy BLEED.

it's pretty great. if you ever put more than a dozen hours into diablo or anything other hack and slash, it's absolutely worth getting it.

you could always yohoho it just to make sure, but a lot of the fun comes with having players join you on your journey to fuck up the everliving shit of anything that dares stand in your way.

Get and level the devotion skill that summons skeletons on kill and then find a way to kill lots of things. I've got it so they spawn from dying to poison/acid retaliation damage so I can kill even more things faster without any effort. I free my brothers by melting the flesh imprisoning them.

Thanks for reminding me, OP. I haven't finished it yet and haven't played it in a while. I'll probably get back to it soon.

I pirated it after I saw it on steam looking for some fun games in the sea of garbage.
Honestly, I was surprised by it, the last hack and slash I tried was torchlight 2 and was pretty disappointed by how boring it was. There's not a whole lot of variety in the classes, but it hit the sweet spot for me being able to throw around curses and acid while also blasting monsters to bits with pistols and grenades, so it didn't bother me much.

You can summon Dead knight with HP regen aura from Obsidian shield. Some wands and rings have a multiple summons from attacking/killing mobs.

I remember finding an item that gave me a flaming skeleton, shit was pretty cool. Also had a necklace that summoned a guardian if I hit low health

Don't kid yourself; it's a Pyromancer.

This update is even more casualized than the last

Torchlight II, Grim Dawn, every ARPG ever just feels like D2 with better graphics.
Every time I play an ARPG, even Grim Dawn my thought process after 5 hours is "I've already played this game before."

All ARPGs feel the same to me, Grim Dawn not being an exception

Pyros/Demos ARE ex-soldiers and can lay mortar turrets.

So how's modding coming along?

I wish the schemes would drop better, I've been forever looking for a Slaughter scheme so I can build my legendary relic.

Tekken, soul caliber, Street Fighter, every fighting game ever just feels like Mortal Kombat with better graphics.

Every time I play a Fighting game, even Skullgirls my thought process after 5 hours is "I've already played this game before."

All fighting games feel the same to me, Skullgirls not being an exception

just do trades, i got ridiculous amounts of great items through trades.

Good idea, there's probably a thread on the steam forum.

I'll look into it, or can someone here build this damn thing?